Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
anthony19832005

Study: 50% Of Americans Are Almost Illiterate.

# 50 percent of adults cannot read a book written at an eighth grade level.

# 20 percent of Americans are functionally illiterate and read below a 5th grade level.

# Nearly half of all Americans read so poorly that they cannot find a single piece of information when reading a short publication

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_education-portal(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/articles/Illiteracy%3A_The_Downfall_of_American_Society.html"]Source[/url]

No wonder Bush was re-elected.

Salam

PropellerAds

Salaams peeps,

Literacy does not amount to intelligence or understanding. I can think of one person in history who was illiterate but had much understanding. I would argue that literacy statistics had little to do with his re-election.

Peace

Peace

I can think of one person in history who was illiterate but had much understanding.

lol good point, but that case was a bit special , dont you think?

Illiteracy rates mean a lot ....if you cant read and document yourself about what is really going on, and theres a guy in your ear yellling that youre being attacked and hes the only one who can protect you if you just vote for him (bush) what would you do? Instinctually, you would vote for him offcourse.

Salam

Salaams peeps,

lol good point, but that case was a bit special , dont you think?

Indeed it was.

I understand your point but I don't agree with the apparent correlation between literacy and understanding. My mum is literate in a few languages except English, even though she's lived in London for many years. She didn't vote for Labour the second time round, even with her lack of English reading skills. The question is, how many literate people in America voted for Bush? I'm sure there were many who did so how come their literacy didn't increase their understanding and make them vote Democrat instead? I think the re-election of Bush was due to decent political gameplay by the Republicans and a poor Democrat candidate.

Peace

The media can manipulate their readers and shape their minds by giving them false or misleading information that cause some ignorant Americans to support Bush the Moronic Liar.

Edited by wiseguy

:sl:

Thats crazy...I wonder how correct that is.

And half the worlds elected leaders are stupid, does that mean the whole world is stupid?

Literacy does not amount to intelligence or understanding. I can think of one person in history who was illiterate but had much understanding. I would argue that literacy statistics had little to do with his re-election.

I agree with this.

It may have had something to do with it but I believe very little to nothing.

:sl:

Bush and his Zionist-Evangelist advisors and the media have misled and tricked American people into believing that Muslims had carried out the 9/11 event hough they have no evidence to implicate Muslims. The US regime also used the media to spread Bush's lies such as the non-existent Iraqi WMDs to convince Americans into supporting the US agenda to destroy Iraq.

Media also trick American people into supporting Zionist-Evangelist plan to attack and destroy Iran by giving American people twisted and manipulated news.

However there are some Americans who know that the media are lying about the 9/11, Iran etc! They question the media.

Edited by wiseguy

Welcome to the IRFI - Islamic Research Foundation International, Inc.Seeking Advancement of Knowledge through Spiritual and Intellectual Growth

PRESENT STATUS OF MUSLIM UMMAH

The status of the Muslim Ummah is of great concern to all the Muslim intellectuals. No one can deny that the Muslim Ummah occupies a position, which is at the lowest rung of the ladder in the world. The share of the Muslims in Nobel Prizes and the Olympic Games is close to nothing. Muslims' contributions to literature both general and scientific are marginal at the best. It is very sad to see the status of Muslims in the present world at

the bottom. Muslims have been economically exploited and politically subjugated. Economically, Muslims are poor; in education they are backward; and in science and technology they are marginal. Even very small countries export arms, medicine and

technology to the Muslim countries. The average literacy rate is around 38 percent and in rural areas in Muslim countries, the illiteracy rate among Muslim women is 93 to 97 percent. This is contradictory to the message of the Qur'an and Prophet Muhammad (SAS) as mentioned earlier. The Muslims educated in the western world know about western books and western scholars but they know very little about Muslims books and the intellectual achievements of the Muslims (Fig. 1). The data presented in Table 1 show the Muslims to be at the bottom of the three measures identified. Inspite of the comparable levels of development the mean rate for literacy for the Muslims is 35 per cent lower than

that for the Third World, and 40 percent below the world's average. The data suggests that almost two-thirds of the Muslims worldwide are illiterate. This low level of literacy, evidently, is responsible for the grinding poverty, the backwardness, and the deplorable conditions under which the vast majority of the Muslims live at present( 4). In Table 2 gives the literacy rates for the most populous nations. Pakistan is the most advanced Muslim country in science and technology among Muslim nations. However, the literacy rate for Pakistan, home to the second largest Muslim ummah in the world, ranks the lowest among the most populous nations, is even below the average for the Muslim nations. What is shocking is India the second most populous nation in the world, has a significantly higher rate of literacy than Pakistan and Bangladesh. At one time the three countries constituted a single country(British India) with a literacy rate of 12 percent on the eve of the partition in 1947.

end.

Well , perhaps THIS is why most muslims believe 9/11 was not commited by those whom Americanms believe to be the culprits ?

To Anthony :

There are many types of illiteracy . And statistics can thus be manipulated to serve a purpose . In the US , there are three types of illiteracy, thee most serious being functional illiteracy , and the figures [latest] are 20% . There is science illiteracy , mathematics illiteracy ,and geography illiteracy ....none of which can be construed to mean that a person can not read a newspaper or book .

Nor does it mean in any way that such persons are incapable of understanding the spoken word . Thus they are cognizant of issues , ideas etc.

Well , perhaps THIS is why most muslims believe 9/11 was not commited by those whom Americanms believe to be the culprits ?

Do you think that we Muslims are stupid? No...we are not stupid and we know that Bush and his jokers have no evidence against Muslims. Bush and his jokers have no evidence to implicate Muslims in the 9/11. Muslims were framed by Bush and his jokers!

I challenge you to show me the evidence.

Edited by wiseguy

this american illiteracy rate is quite shocking! illiteracy in the muslim countries is not surprising and it can be generalized with other poor countries as well.

and about the 9/11 thing, it's mainly american intellectuals who are leading these theories. doesn't have anything to do with illiteracy of the muslims.

Do you think that we Muslims are stupid? No...we are not stupid and we know that Bush and his jokers have no evidence against Muslims. Bush and his jokers have no evidence to implicate Muslims in the 9/11. Muslims were framed by Bush and his jokers!

I challenge you to show me the evidence.

Uh, no , I didn't say muslims were stupid , I put up statistics from the organization listed . Which as it title clearly states, is an Islamic organization .

Are you calling Americans stupid /or ignorant ?

You said :

"The media can manipulate their readers and shape their minds by giving them false or misleading information that cause some ignorant Americans to support Bush the Moronic Liar."

So you imply that only "ignorant Americans " hold that muslim extremists committed 9/11 , and you obvioiusly make that implication in the context of the title of this thread regarding illiteracy in America , which btw is not 50% , but more like 20% .

- so it is only fair , that based on illiteracy amongst muslims , as by their own figures , which state an illiteracy % which is higher , that I can extrapolate the same about what muslims beleve concerning 9/11 , and also the same as far as what their leaders tell them .

stalemate .

If you seek evidence as to who committed 9/11 , then simply read reports world wide on this . you no doubt will only choose the "facts " that favor your view .

As far as I'm concerned that matter is settled , regardless of what you may think , and you are free to think whatever you wish .......so am I .

Are you calling Americans stupid /or ignorant ?

You said :

"The media can manipulate their readers and shape their minds by giving them false or misleading information that cause some ignorant Americans to support Bush the Moronic Liar."

Yes some of them are ignorant because they have been brainwashed by the US media since the day they are born so they blindly support Bush attacking Muslim countries.

So you imply that only "ignorant Americans " hold that muslim extremists committed 9/11 , and you obvioiusly make that implication in the context of the title of this thread regarding illiteracy in America , which btw is not 50% , but more like 20% .

Based on your argument, I would say that the illiteracy of Muslims is 1% because 99% of Muslims reject Bush's lies.

- so it is only fair , that based on illiteracy amongst muslims , as by their own figures , which state an illiteracy % which is higher , that I can extrapolate the same about what muslims beleve concerning 9/11 , and also the same as far as what their leaders tell them .

Why don't you find the illiteracy among Muslims in Malaysia for example?

stalemate .

If you seek evidence as to who committed 9/11 , then simply read reports world wide on this . you no doubt will only choose the "facts " that favor your view .

As far as I'm concerned that matter is settled , regardless of what you may think , and you are free to think whatever you wish .......so am I .

The 9/11 is not settled yet until Bush and his jokers show us concrete evidence ! So far they talk and talk and no proofs!

You can deal with those statistics any way you want , but of course you know it would be just opinion .

9/11 too, as far as you are concerned is opinion . 86% of Americans are convinced muslim extremists committed the act . And I'm sure similar percentages of muslims believe it was not .

Everyone's entitled to their opinion , and free to reach whatever conclusion they wish , based on available information , and in what light they view that information .

Since the author of this thread , and you , care to imply illiteracy as a reason for people reaching their conclusion , then you must admit that works both ways .

That statement made by the organization listed , included world wide statistics , so no , it was not a matter of what " I included " but rather what that organization listed as their findings .

You said :

"Based on your argument, I would say that the illiteracy of Muslims is 1% because 99% of Muslims reject Bush's lies. "

NO , that is not based on my argument , butbased in exactly what you yourself stated : " I would say " , and yes you did say . Beyond that , the statement has no meaning , other than you expressing your opinion .

Bush and his jokers may need to show you [or the collective you, expressed as "us ] "concrete proof " , and that is fine - for you . But as far as I'm concerned , and I think also the majority of American people , the issue is settled . It was muslim extremists , led , planned and inspired by Bin Laden .

I dont expect to change your view , nor do I care to , you are free to think what you want , however I would not attempt to call you ignorant or brainwashed or illiterate , as it seems you attemptto use these in arguments to validate your own views .

It is only because you attempted to apply it to an opposing view , that I cited the statistics , that in effect negate your argument , or validate both mine and yours ...so it's stalemate .

Bush and his jokers may need to show you [or the collective you, expressed as "us ] "concrete proof " , and that is fine - for you . But as far as I'm concerned , and I think also the majority of American people , the issue is settled . It was muslim extremists , led , planned and inspired by Bin Laden .

Where are your concrete evidence to support your allegation that (I quote your own word) "It was muslim extremists , led , planned and inspired by Bin Laden" ? Even FBI doesn't has any evidence to implicate Osama in the 9/11 !

I've read your posts, and I dont really care what you think , nor do I feel the need to produce anything .

Based on all I've seen read and heard in the past 6 years , there's no doubt in my mind who committed 9/11 , it was 19 muslim extremists , under command of Bin laden , and aided and assisted by theTalibam regime . And that's what most Americans think .

Now that's my opinion , that's what I believe , and there isn't a thing you or anyone else can say that will change that .

You go think what you want , your opinion is your own , and is totally irrelevant to me .

How can you Arrowsflight make the slanderous, biased and ignorant allegation above to frame Muslims in the 9/11 when you yourself fail to show me any concrete evidence to support it? You are so selfish, irresponsible, biased, and ignorant for falsely accusing Muslims of the crimes they had nothing to do !!! Aren't you ashamed of yourself for saying such thing and you have nothing to show me to support your wildest allegation above?

Edited by wiseguy

How can you Arrowsflight make the slanderous, biased and ignorant allegation above to frame Muslims in the 9/11 when you yourself fail to show me any concrete evidence to support it? You are so selfish, irresponsible, biased, and ignorant for falsely accusing Muslims of the crimes they had nothing to do !!! Aren't you ashamed of yourself for saying such thing and you have nothing to show me to support your wildest allegation above?

Ditto .

Learn to read--- IT IS MY OPINION AND I AM ENTITLED TO THINK WHAT I LIKE .

If you dont like what I THINK , that's TOUGH .

So quit your baseless accusations , for YOU are guilty of slander .

What are you ? A thought policeman ?

And stop shouting .......you need to chilll dude .

Ditto .

Learn to read--- IT IS MY OPINION AND I AM ENTITLED TO THINK WHAT I LIKE .

If you dont like what I THINK , that's TOUGH .

What are you ? A thought policeman ?

And stop shouting .......you need to chilll dude .

It is not your opinion but slanderous, biased, and ignorant allegation against Muslims and I am a Muslim so I am entitled to ask you to show me concrete evidence to support your allegation. Do you know that your slanderous, biased, and ignorant allegation would cause non-Muslims to think wrongly that Muslims are terrorists ?

Whose allegation? It is your baseless allegation that falsely accuses Muslims of carrying out the 9/11 but you don't have any concrete evidence to support your slanderous, biased, and ignorant allegation against Muslims so you are the slanderer not me !!

What are you ? A thought policeman ? And stop shouting .......you need to chilll dude .

Are you paranoid?

What's the matter with you ?????

Are you illiterate yourself ??

After I state MY OPINION , and EXPRESS it as such ......YOU are going to come on here and tell me it's not my opinion ????/

You've got a problem ###### , and it's not my problem .

Hopefully the moderators on this board are paying attention to your screeds and insults .

I doubt if you would behave like this in public , but here, you get away with it due to anonymity and the cover of a screen name . Go try your hysterical screaming and accusations in a public place , face to face with real people , and I would say , that rather big mouth of yours would be shut up rather quickly .

Now , looking over your numerous posts , and looking at all the accusations YOU have made , which are essentially baseless, as far as concrete proofs , who are you to accuse me of a slander for stating what I have already qualified as MY OPINION AND BELIEF ??????

Yes you ARE attempting to be a thought policeman , I AM NOT paranoid , especially of one such as yourself.

You are a loudmouth and nothing more , and you'd better quit with your threatening insults and accusations . You are providing a hatefull example of yourself and whoever you are attempting to represent .

I totally disagree with about everything that comes out of your angry mouth , yet those opinions no matter how vile , are yours to express , and I wouldn't tell you how to think , where are your concrete proofs ?

Do you mean links you gather from your own selected websites ?

Well you believe them if you wish , I reject them all . I reach my conclusions in my own way which is no concern of yours .

DONT TELL ME WHAT TO THINK .

QUOTE(Arrowsflight [at] Jul 30 2007, 11:27 PM) *

It was muslim extremists , led , planned and inspired by Bin Laden .

Arrowsflight......You claim falsely that Muslims had carried out the 9/11 ! And I am still waiting for your evidence ! Where are your evidence? Where? Either you show me the concrete evidence or you are a lying slanderer ! You have to be responsible for your own slander!

Edited by wiseguy

Arrowsflight......You claim falsely that Muslims had carried out the 9/11 ! And I am still waiting for your evidence ! Where are your evidence? Where? Either you show me the concrete evidence or you are a lying slanderer ! You have to be responsible for your own slander!

First off , ###### , I have reported you , you are rude , insulting an you are attempting a baiting tactic .

Now dont you dare tell me what I should hold my self responsible for ....who the hek are you ? some sort of authority ? You are absolutely NOTHING to me , perhaps you get away with your bullying mouth in your own household .

You want proof ? go read a newspaper .

Otherwise just sit there and hold your breath , for I have no obligation to you or anyone else for my conclusions or beliefs .

I WILL BELIEVE WHAT I CHOOSE , your phony accusations and insults notwhithstanding .

You getting that ###### ?

First off , ###### , I have reported you , you are rude , insulting an you are attempting a baiting tactic .

Now dont you dare tell me what I should hold my self responsible for ....who the hek are you ? some sort of authority ? You are absolutely NOTHING to me , perhaps you get away with your bullying mouth in your own household .

You want proof ? go read a newspaper .

Otherwise just sit there and hold your breath , for I have no obligation to you or anyone else for my conclusions or beliefs .

I WILL BELIEVE WHAT I CHOOSE , your phony accusations and insults notwhithstanding .

You getting that ###### ?

So that is how you Arrowsfligh present your so-called 'evidence' to me to prove that Muslims had committed the 9/11 ! Hahahaha what a joke !!! Have you forgotten how you have insulted and slandered Muslims by claiming falsely that Muslims had committed the 9/11 ? You have insulted and slandered Muslims and me by making such baseless allegation!

Edited by wiseguy

Arrowsflight......You claim falsely that Muslims had carried out the 9/11 ! And I am still waiting for your evidence ! ...

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"############rferl######/featuresarticle/2007/03/DEABBD59-ACBD-4909-BFD4-EE49F113C031.html"]R.F.E.[/url]

Al-Qaeda Suspect Reportedly Confesses To Planning 9/11

Khalid Sheikh Muhammad shortly after his capture in Rawalpindi in 2003

March 15, 2007 -- The Pentagon says Khalid Sheikh Muhammad, the suspected mastermind of the September 11, 2001, attacks on the United States, has confessed to plotting those and other Al-Qaeda attacks.

Muhammad's confession appears in a transcript of a closed-door U.S. military hearing held at the Guantanamo Bay prison for terrorist suspects in Cuba. The hearing is to determine whether Muhammad can be tried in a military tribunal as an "enemy combatant."

According to the transcript, Muhammad said he "was the operational director for Sheikh Osama bin Laden for the organizing, planning, follow-up, and execution of the 9/11 operation," and that he was responsible for the September attacks "from A to Z."

The Pakistani citizen claims responsibility for planning 28 separate terrorist attacks against U.S., British, israeli, and other targets, including the 1993 bomb attack on the World Trade Center and the 2002 Bali nightclub bombings.

Muhammad said he regrets the deaths of children in the September 11 attacks, and that he "does not like to kill people."

'High-Value' Suspects

Muhammad was captured in Pakistan in 2003 and is the most high-profile of 14 "high-value" detainees transferred in September from secret CIA prisons abroad to the Guantanamo Bay camp.

Some of the 14 have now appeared in the closed-door hearings, which began on March 10-11. Others have refused to take part in the process.

The Pentagon also released transcripts of the hearings of Abu Faraj al-Libi and Ramzi Binalshibh. Both refused to attend the hearings, although al-Libi submitted a statement claiming that the hearings were unfair and that he would not attend unless this is corrected.

Some human rights groups today called for "proper trials" for the detainess, saying it is not clear under what circumstances confessions such as Muhammad's are made.

'Not A Trial'

"I think we also have to put a 'health warning' on these apparent admissions, these confessions," Amnesty International spokesman Neil Durkin said in London today. "They do come from a secret process, which is not a trial. It is a Combat Status Review Tribunal. It is a screening process. No lawyers are allowed, and so we have to look at these confessions against that backdrop."

Durkin said that Muhammad, "along with 13 other so-called high-value detainees, was held in secret detention, entirely secret detention, for 3 1/2 years in a CIA, presumed, detention center, a 'black site' detention center."

Muhammad’s appearance now before a military tribunal comes as prosecutors have sought to speed up proceedings for detainees at Guantanamo.

That may be partly in response to international pressure, including from some of Washington’s allies in the U.S.-led war on terror.

Discussing terrorism charges filed by the United States against an Australian detainee at Guantanamo, Australian Prime Minister John Howard said on March 2: "The Americans have certainly speeded up the process. Whether that is the result of representations I've made to both President [George W.] Bush and Vice President [######] Cheney, I don't know, but we have made those representations. We remain very unhappy that it has taken so long."

Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said today he was happy Muhammad was in Guantanamo Bay along with other United States detainees.

Downer recalled that "88 Australians were killed in the Bali bombing" alone.

There you go, 'TRUTH4U'. Case closed. :sl:

Muslims are framed and tortured by CIA soulless agents so that they would confess to planning 9/11 meaning they are framed by the US regime. The case is not closed till Bush and his Zionist-Evangelist advisors and the US generals are tried in the International Court of Justice and hanged to death for their crimes against humanity in Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia etc.