Islamic Forum
m0nica3

New To Site And Fairly New To Islam :)

Asaalamu Alaikum!

Well, i guess i will start by telling everyone a bit about me. I am a new revert, i reverted in March of this year. A good friend gave me a link to this page and it looks like it might be something i have been searching for and i hope to gain much from reading and asking and asking so so much more. i have so many questions. i have tried to read a bit about Islam on my own since reverting and i am finding that it is no easy task..but then again, i guess its not supposed to be easy. I have bought books and now even software to help me with prayer and understanding the "common" daily things it takes to be Muslim. I have a pretty good idea about the history part of it, the books i bought did go quite into detail about that, but i guess i just need more information on what one would learn when they are a child and here i am trying to learn this in my late-twenties.

i am hoping to learn arabic. i dont really know where to start with this. i feel scared to go to a Masjid...dont ask me why, i guess mostly because i have never been to one before and am afraid ill make a fool of myself or offend someone if i go. i bought something i thought would help me, but now its gotten me even more confused because its soooooo foreign to me, i dont even know where to start from. i was thinking of taking classes at college/university but then its either too costly or i am not sure if that might be the best either because i dont know how much help i might get from the professor or how available he/she will be to my questions.

But aside from the problems i have faced, i dont think of them as difficulties and think more of them as steps. This is one step and i know there will be plenty other steps to take along the way. I think i am too impatient with myself sometimes. In reality, it has only been 5 months. I know more now than i did 5 months ago, so thats a positive thing to look at. Also, i most likely (inshaAllah) will know more in another 5 months from now than i know now. So, in the end, it will probably just take a lot of steps to get to where i want to be and where i want to be is to know as much as i can about Islam. i think it is important to know when it is such an important daily part of one's life.

I think i have written a novel here now. thanks for reading. i guess i had a lot to say :sl:

PropellerAds

Welcome to IF (Islamic Forum) sis, may your visits be rewarding and may we benefit from each other in our thirst for knowledge of Islam.

Hope this forum helps you in your journey to Islam insha Allah.

:sl:

######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/images/welcom.gif[/img] to Gawaher, m0nica

I'm glad you decided to join us. I hope that you find your stay here at IF beneficial, as well as enjoyable, and inshaAllah we benefit from each other.

As we advise all new comers, please take a moment to read our (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?act=boardrules"]Forum Rules[/url]. This will greatly enhance your understanding of this community, and ensures a smooth relation with everyone around here.

And now here is your welcome drink, on the house!

So sit back, and let me pour you a glass of freshly squeezed fruit juice!

######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/uploads/post-1-1102388849.jpg[/img]

Mashallah, sis. Welcome to Islam. Feel free to ask any questions you may have about this beautiful religion.

Assalamualikum sis,

Soooo glad Allah guided you mashAllah :j: .

You should take it easy on yourself... learn and apply slowly ...theres no need to rush and take in everything at once. :sl:

oh and great to have you on Gawaher :sl:

Assalamualikum

Assalam o Alekum sis :j:

welcome to the forum

i can honestly say this is not just a forum, but a warm welcoming kind community

people here are always ready to help, may Allah reward them for doing so

I myself am a newly reverted muslim, and i got alot of help from brothers and siters here, or by simply reading helpful topics :sl:

sometimes i also feel that i know so little :no: , but comparing this little knowledge with the life of ignorance i've been living before,i praise Allah for allowing me to live another day to get to know more about Islam and living life in pleasent way to Allah :sl:

one step at a time sis, may all your steps be blessed...

so have a nice stay on the forum.. and peace

Assalamu Alaykum sister m0nica :sl:

Welcome to Gawaher Islamic Forum, I pray your stay is a beneficial and enjoyable one. Alhamdulillah for your conversion, welcome to Islam dear sister, please don't hesitate to ask any questions or seeking any assistance with your deen, we're always here to help. Look through the various topics in the forum, May Allah continue to guide you on the righteous way of life and increase you in knowledge and wisdom. Ameen

Happy posting!

:j:

Welcome to Islam dear sister and welcome to Gawaher :sl:. Masha'Allah for your conversion sis and alhamdulillah!

Feel free to ask any questions, there a lot of brothers and sisters willing to help masha'Allah. Insha'Allah you benefit and learn a lot from your stay here :sl:.

May Allah continue to guide you and us on the Straight Path. Ameen.

Assalamo alaikum

A very warm welcome to you sister m0nica3, and to you too sister aamina87. CONGRATULATIONS! on your reversion to the true path of Islam.

Becoming a Muslim is like a new born baby. It takes time to learn more each day. But learning Arabic is a different story.

First, let me say that it is not compulsory for a new Muslim to learn Arabic. Actually I do not recommend you do that now. Its better to focus on learning all about Islam at this step in your life. This is more important now. Besides, there is a wealth of English documents covering almost everything regarding Islam. Its true that to grasp the beauty within the text of The Quran you need to read it in its original Arabic text, but you can still get an understanding using translations like the one we have (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/show.php/showtopic/42453.html"]here[/url]. You have each verse in Arabic, and a translation beside it, and also a transliteration that would help you recite it as if you speak Arabic. You can also listen to how each word is pronounced, to help you memorize some verses to say in your 5 daily prayers. I suggest you memorize from the chapters at the end of the Quran, like chapter 112, 113 and 114. 112 in particular is so easy yet so powerful to recite (prophet Muhammad :sl: told us that reciting it, in your case, equals reciting 1/3 of The Quran).

Ask all the questions you have, and we'll be more than happy to assist you in our (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showforum=148"]Q&A[/url] section. You can also learn how to perform ablution (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=42631"]here[/url] and how to pray (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=24667"]here[/url].

My best wishes for you. May Allah :sl: guide you and bless you in both this life and the next.

Welcome my dear sister to IF!

Also welcome to this beautiful religion of Islam, I like you converted to Islam but mine was 4 years ago alhamdulillah.

May you continue to grow and prosper with your new chosen faith and may Allah (swt) always keep you on His path, ameen.

Asalam Alaikum brothers and sisters,

Thank you very much for the warm welcomes :sl: I am starting to get excited for Ramadan..im just on the lookout for the prayer timings for calgary. Theres one thing i don't understand. How much time do you get (to have your morning meal), before you have to do the morning prayer? I don't think i am making much sense here, so bare with me: I mean to say, how long before you do your prayer should you be eating. Are there any restrictions to that on how long before one should wait? If anyone can help me, it would be much appreciated. Thanks a bunch :sl:

Assalamu'alaikum Wr.Wb.

Welcome to Islam and forum, Sister.

Asalam Alaikum brothers and sisters,

Thank you very much for the warm welcomes :sl: I am starting to get excited for Ramadan..im just on the lookout for the prayer timings for calgary. Theres one thing i don't understand. How much time do you get (to have your morning meal), before you have to do the morning prayer?

That's a good question. Basically you can eat and drink until the Muadzin starts the Adhan, which indicates that it is time to stop from eating and drinking anything. But in the West it would be impossible to hear Adhan. So, maybe you can see it from praying time in your local areas.

But basically, it is recommended that you have your morning meal in the last minutes before it is time for Morning prayer, and to break your fast immediately when the time for Maghrib prayer has come.

And don't be afraid of going to the Masjid, Sister, people there will be happy and proud of you.

Wassalam,

Yasnov

Salamu alaykum,

Welcome to Islamic forum, its nice to have you here. Never forget that even born muslims learn new things each day. (i am talking about myself and all born muslims) So please dont feel sad because your knowledge is not huge. I am sure you'll get more than you expect. Alhamdulillah this forum is very benefical for a person who wants to learn about Islamic issues. Always post and ask everything you dont understand. And also dont forget to come to sisters' room. :sl:

Mina.

:j: Dear sister M0nica3,

Welcome to Islam, and welcome to Islamic Forum :sl:

Feel free to post around the Forum, and come and join us in the sisters room :no:

Take Care,

:sl: sister

Welcome to Islam.

From your post, you mentioned Calgary, I am not sure exactly where that is in Canada but I have googled some masjid addresses

Islamic Information Society of Calgary

207 4th Street NE

(P) 261-7601

(F) 261-7602

Hours of Operation

Open from Asr-Isha

Imam

Said Rageah

email: rageah[at]iisc.ca

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetiisc.ca/contact.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetiisc.ca/contact.htm[/url]

East Calgary Islamic Centre

225 28th St. S.E.

Calgary, AB

T2A 5K4

Phone: 403-248-2773

Fax: 403-569-6654

Islamic Centre of Calgary

5615 14th Ave. S.W.

Calgary, AB

T2P 2L7

Phone: 403-242-1615

Phone: 403-240-4505 (Jamal Mammood)

Fax: 403-242-1695

Islamic Association of Calgary

5760 11th St SW, Box 1412

Calgary, AB

T2H 2M7

The Muslim Council of Calgary (MCC)

P.O. Box 1221, Station 'M'

Calgary, AB

T2P 2K9

Assalamo alaikum

You break your fast at maghreb time (sunset) first thing, even before you pray maghreb. The sunnah is to break your fast with a few dates or drink some milk, or both, then go to prayer, then have your meal.

You stop eating and drinking just before fajr time (dawn). Some Muslims feel safer by stopping even 20 min. before fajr, but thats not obligatory, specially if you are sure of fajr time in your city.

For a complete prayer time schedule anywhere in the world, please go here:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=42739"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=42739[/url]

Ramadan Mubarak (I wish you blessed Ramadan) for you sister, and for everyone who is reading this.