Islamic Forum

Asslam alykom,

I just got this Miswak and I have no Clue how to use it. Should I chew the top of it until it becomes brush like? Do we have to use some kind of paste or powder with it for sunnah? when should I cut the miswak for fresh fibers? And any other info I should know?

Jazakom Allaho Khayr

Mahmood

PropellerAds

Assalamu Alaikum Br. Mahmood, using Miswak is one of the best ways to keep your gums and teeth strong, alhamdulillah, and it is a sunnah which was very dear to RasoolAllah Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam.

First of all you soad one end of the miswak in a cup or bowl of water for about an hour or so, and then chew on it until the soaked part becomes kind of a brush.

No you do not need any paste or powder, just using the plain Miswak is Sunnah.

When you see that the brush part has become thin, then you should cut the brush part and chew on it and start using it again. You don't need to soak it the second time before chewing the Miswak to make a brush.

InshaAllah I will find and post a link to the use of Miswak soon.

Until then, enjoy your miswak, remember to do miswak before each Salat, you will get multiple blessings for it.

Assalamu Alaikum, umAhmad.

1. Peel off the outer bark of the tip of the twig (the Miswaak), using a knife if needed.

2. Soak it in water so that it becomes soft.

3. Make it fibrous with the help of your teeth.

4. Apply it as you would a toothbrush, but be gentle and move it horizontally along the gum line.

*Tips:

* If your teeth are already clean, then it works as an aromatherapy.

* Regularly cut the end to renew the brush, following the steps above.

* Ask a knowledgeable Muslim about its virtues and use.

* The length and girth of the Miswaak should be appropriate - about that of a toothbrush.

* Be gentle when brushing. This is among the virtues of using the Miswaak.

Assalamu alaikum, Here is a detailed Article on Miswak. PLEASE CHECK THE LINK AND rEAD THE WHOLE ARTICLE TO GET THE FULL BENIFIT. JazaakAllahu Khairan.

Assalamu alaikum, umAhmad.

I. Miswaak Quick View of Benefits:

Advantages of the Miswaak:

1. Miswaak strengthens the gums and prevents tooth decay.

2. Miswaak assists in eliminating toothaches and prevents further increase of decay which has already set in.

3. Miswaak creates a fragrance in the mouth.

4. Miswaak is a cure for illness.

5. Miswaak eliminates bad odors and improves the sense of taste.

6. Miswaak sharpens the memory.

7. Miswaak is a cure for headaches.

8. Miswaak creates lustre (noor) on the face of the one who continually uses it.

9. Miswaak causes the teeth to glow.

10. Miswaak strengthens the eyesight.

11. Miswaak assists in digestion.

12. Miswaak clears the voice.

13. The greatest benefit of using miswaak is gaining the pleasure of Allah.

14. The reward of Salaah (Prayers) is multiplied 70 times if Miswaak was used before it.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam.tc/Miswaak/#Miswaak:%20The%20Whole%20Story"]THE MISWAAK PAGE[/url]

:sl:

in Africa where come from....it natural to use the miswaak as it part of our culture.

we hardly it find it natural to use the so called toothpaste...

thanks for the posts and replies i really benefited from it.

:sl:

Assalamu alaykum.

Brother Mahmood.

Let me congratulate you on taking interest in starting a almost dead sunnah. And I hope Allah swt will suitably reward you for that .

Let me add my experience for preparation of miswak.

First soak in water for about 2 hours or over night the tip of the miswak after pealing about 2 inch.

Using a normal size hammer or any weight, hammer the soaked pealed tip. This makes the fibers of the miswak to get separated. hammer till you feel the fibers are soft.

Using a knife cut about an inch of upper tip.

Now let it get dried. Later chew the soft fibers. Initially just softly move the miswak on your teeth (to complete the sunnah). Every time you use the miswak chew it till the fibers get soft. Once you feel that the fibers will not hurt your gums then use the miswak with whatever pressure you feel like.

Alhamdulillah you will have very nice miswak to brush your teeth. Be careful not to lose the miswak, because again you may have to go through this procedure. May be you can start preparing one more miswak for redundancy.

Shukran

Asslam Alykom,

Jazakom Allah khayr Brothers and Sisters for the information, Uhahmed great article. I guess I kinda did it wrong because I couldn't wait last night :sl:. I peeled off the bark alright, but I started chewing it without soaking it in water.

Wasslam Alykom :sl:

Mahmood