Islamic Forum
know Islam

My Experience And Islam…..

I was born a catholic my mother was very religious, she tried many ways to make me attend church on Sunday and confess as often as I can, when I graduated and became an English teacher I found a job in the middle east (Saudi Arabia) that paid well so I took it even though I heard a lot about Islam and terrorism that made my family especially my mother very concerned but she was also uncomfortable that I am going to a none christen world. All I was concerned about was building my self a career back then, so I didn’t heed my mother's advice and took the job and ended up in KSA. After three years in the kingdom I converted to Islam as I felt that it really satisfied me spiritually even though I didn’t agree on all of the things in the Quran such as the treatment of women for instance and the fact that I cant invest in banks unless they were Islamic because of interest issues I am sure you people know. But then once I became a Muslim and knew many things that I didn’t previously know about this religion I realized this huge gap between the things I was told by the people whom helped me convert and the things I saw. They told me when I converted that music is forbidden by god as it was written in the Quran but where ever I went in the kingdom I listen to the youth listening to all kind of music. At first I thought that they were a minority but then I realized that only a hand full of Muslims didn't listen to music in the entire world. I tried to neglect this fact for as long as I can but I did have a lot of songs I enjoyed before my conversion and it was not easy to let go of them in the first place and with every one around me listening to them the pressure increased on me and eventually I started to listen to them again. The same thing happened to me with smoking, personally I don’t smoke but I was told that is forbidden by Islam. I also saw other issues with in the kingdom that every one did and it was considered forbidden by Islam that confused me a little bit as I started to ask my self; if they know its wrong and they believe in that their god's orders are best for them why do they do those things then? Is it because of weak faith in god, but how is it that the majority suffers from this not the minority? Or is it because Islam is not good enough for this era like many of the people I have asked told me?

2 years after I converted I went back to the states for a long vacation, there I was eager to meet the Islamic groups in the states, so I did just that and I was shocked even more to see most of the Muslims there drink Alcohol most of which were from the middle east, I use to drink a lot before I converted and it was very difficult for me when I first went to Saudi Arabia knowing that there is no Alcohol there but I managed and when I converted I was told that drinking alcohol was a grave sin that I must stay away at all costs so I didn’t drink ever since and for what, to see that only a hand full of Muslims whom have access to alcohol don’t drink and the rest do? So I started asking those people who consumed alcohol why did they drink, some of them didn’t care about religion and told me to enjoy life, others told me with a bit of aggression that it was none of my concern and a little minority told me that we will seek redemption in later days. Their words made a lot of sense to me as I could drink and seek forgiveness in later days, surly no one knows when he will die but it’s a risk many people take.

One day I called an old student of mine and we agreed on having dinner together then spend the rest of the evening together. When I meet him I was not surprised that he consumed alcohol at the restaurant but I was surprised that he invited me to an adult dancing club. I asked him isn’t that forbidden according to the Islamic rules? He simply replied by saying live your life its only one night. I went with him anyway as I use to go to those places often before my conversion and I was shocked to see that most of the people at the night club were Arabic. At this moment I was trying to hold on to what ever thin thread of faith I have left in me to keep me from falling into a sin that I might regret so I left that place, the following day my the same friend whom I went out with last night called me and asked me if I wanted to go to this party that one of his friends is holding at his house, I asked him what was the occasion he told me that it was a party for his friends graduation. I asked him was he a Muslim he told me yes he was. So I thought since it’s held by a Muslim it shouldn't be too bad, but it was quite the opposite, most of the people at this celebration were from the kingdom but every one came with his girlfriend, date or far worse his boyfriend….. There was a lot of music smoking and alcohol. It was then that I realized that all of the Islamic youth didn’t care about Islam but when the reach a certain age they start to care about religion and not all of them do. It was then that I asked my self why should I hold on to beliefs that no one cares about. Why should I deny my self what it wants when the very people who taught me what I know don’t?

Isn’t it enough that my family has abandoned me especially my mother she told me that she never wanted to speak with me again until I came back to my senses.. It was then that I started for the first time to regret the decision I have made long ago. Some times today I wish I have never converted when I think about marriage I am not sure what to do should I stay on Islam and raise an Islamic family or live a normal life like every one else Muslim and none Muslim, and let my children make their own choice.

PropellerAds

Salaams peeps,

It is sad to hear you going through these problems. Could I quickly just clarify one thing, have you gone back to Christianity as your profile says? It's not clear from your post whether you are still a Muslim or not.

The actions of a whole nation of Muslims does not necessarily represent the teachings of Islam. You were obviously attracted by the true teachings which is why you converted. Your faith was tested when you saw the very people who taught you about Islam violate the laws you now held sacred. Allah swt says in the Quran:

And most certainly We will try you until We have known those among you who exert themselves hard, and the patient, and made your case manifest.

(Muhammad, Chapter 47, Verse 31)

No doubt you went through many hardships whilst trying to be a good Muslim but having no good examples to follow. It is unfortunate that you were exposed to people who had little faith but that should not take away anything from what you learnt. What is your opinion of the teachings of Islam now?

Peace

I sympathize with your situation But as a thought ask yourself this

You converted to Islam after it satisfied you spiritually and you think of leaving it because you see people ignoring it.

You accepted Islam because it was good and you think of leaving it because people ignore that goodness.

i find that a bit strange.

how do you think about it. By the way have you seen the ones who follow it competely. You have visisted the bad places full of muslims have you visited the good places full of muslims yet ?

A lot of Arabs do haram things. I live in the U.S. and I don't know any Arab in my school who practices Islam. Most Arabs in my school do sins like drinking, doing drugs, going to clubs, and stuff like that. Just because they're ARAB, does not mean that they are MUSLIM!! They claim to be MUSLIMS, but are NOT! These people don't know what Islam is. They just call themselves Muslims. Muslims are not only Arabs. There are many other Muslims out there too. Did you know Indonesia is the largest Muslim country?

Edited by WVista

noislam.......I am a Muslim and I neither drink alcoholic drinks nor eat pork. I never gamble. People tell me that I am a very good-looking man but I never have illicit sex. And I am not a womaniser even though I treat women kindly and humanely. I enjoy music that does not contradict Islam. I never smoke.

My sincere advice for you: Do not judge Islam by 'deviated Muslims'. Please judge Islam by its teachings! And I find that Islam is the truth of God that guides all mankind to the true path of God ! Islam is the way of life suitable for all mankind !

And please do not pretend to be a Muslim to degrade, slander nor insult Islam. Study Islam and you will find the truth of God.

Edited by wiseguy

First of all I would like to apologize to every one for any misunderstandings I tried very hard to choose my words carefully so that I don’t slander at Islam. My intensions were merely to state my story not to discriminate against Islam.

No doubt you went through many hardships whilst trying to be a good Muslim but having no good examples to follow. It is unfortunate that you were exposed to people who had little faith but that should not take away anything from what you learnt. What is your opinion of the teachings of Islam now?

I am just a little bit confused regarding that, I know that every faction, group, and religion in the world has a good side and the bad, but some things are completely neglected by every one that are considered important. But other then that I don’t have any thing against the little I know of teachings of Islam

how do you think about it. By the way have you seen the ones who follow it competely. You have visisted the bad places full of muslims have you visited the good places full of muslims yet?

What places would those be? Other then Masjids I don’t know any other place to find religious Muslims, and to be honest with you I my self don’t want to be extremely religious, you see they told me that Islam is the religion of modesty and that’s what I have been looking for, people who are modest in life and religion.

Did you know Indonesia is the largest Muslim country?

No I didn’t, buts it's interesting to know that how ever are they considered the largest because of their population or because of their faith? Because population is merely a number, some extra weight on the scale. I am not judging them of course but only asking.

And please do not pretend to be a Muslim to degrade, slander nor insult Islam. Study Islam and you will find the truth of God.

I didn’t pretend to be one, at this moment I don’t know what to believe in any more was hoping that this nice community will help me decide. The reason I said my religion was christen is that I am trying to win back my family, I might have lied to them but only the future will tell if I am going to tell them that I returned to Islam. Its very hard to have your family abandon you, especially if you were on good terms with them.

Assalamo alaikum

Dear brother

Never judge a faith by its followers. Muslims of today are under great pressure from the west. They are surrounded in every corner with what weakens their spirit and takes them away from the religion. Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh) said that there will come a day when those who hold to their religion will be as if they are holding a piece of coal-fire in their hands.

Yet, there are still millions of good pious Muslims. I agree with you that Islam is poorly represented by its followers today. But its up to you to choose a good company. Try to make friends with good people from Masjids around you. Stay away from those bad Muslims who drink or go to clubs. And remember, in the day of judgment, each of us will be accountable on his own.

Stay around, and insha'Allah we'll help you hold tighter to this jewel you discovered: Islam. Never give it away.

:sl:

Abu Hurayrah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Islam began as something strange and will revert to being strange as it began, so give glad tidings to the strangers.” [sahih Muslim]

“Strange” refers to the small number of its adherents. The basic meaning of ghareeb (a stranger) is being far from one's homeland. “And will revert to being strange” refers to the small number of those who will adhere to its teachings even though its followers are many. “So give glad tidings to the strangers” means those who follow its commands. “Tooba (glad tidings)” has been interpreted as meaning Paradise or a great tree in Paradise. This shows that supporting Islam and following its commands may require leaving one's homeland and being patient in bearing the difficulties of being a stranger, as was the case in the beginning.

from Islam QA

Edited by al-malabari

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “After you there will come the days of patience (i.e., days which require patience). Patience during those (days) will be like grasping a live coal. During those (days) the reward for the one who adheres to the commands of Allaah will be equivalent to the reward of fifty men who did an action like his.†He said, “O Messenger of Allaah, the reward of fifty of them?†He said, “The reward of fifty of you.â€

Narrated by Abu Dawood, 4341; Ibn Maajah, 4014. Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Saheehah, 494.

Islam QA

Follow Islam the quran and sunnah that is Not the muslims...be an example of a true muslim

Assalamo alaikum

Dear brother

Never judge a faith by its followers. Muslims of today are under great pressure from the west. They are surrounded in every corner with what weakens their spirit and takes them away from the religion. Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh) said that there will come a day when those who hold to their religion will be as if they are holding a piece of coal-fire in their hands.

Yet, there are still millions of good pious Muslims. I agree with you that Islam is poorly represented by its followers today. But its up to you to choose a good company. Try to make friends with good people from Masjids around you. Stay away from those bad Muslims who drink or go to clubs. And remember, in the day of judgment, each of us will be accountable on his own.

Stay around, and insha'Allah we'll help you hold tighter to this jewel you discovered: Islam. Never give it away.

Abu Hurayrah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Islam began as something strange and will revert to being strange as it began, so give glad tidings to the strangers.†[sahih Muslim]

“Strange†refers to the small number of its adherents. The basic meaning of ghareeb (a stranger) is being far from one's homeland. “And will revert to being strange†refers to the small number of those who will adhere to its teachings even though its followers are many. “So give glad tidings to the strangers†means those who follow its commands. “Tooba (glad tidings)†has been interpreted as meaning Paradise or a great tree in Paradise. This shows that supporting Islam and following its commands may require leaving one's homeland and being patient in bearing the difficulties of being a stranger, as was the case in the beginning.

from Islam QA

I have never known those words, but my eyes have shed tears when I read them, I have never felt this confidence and calmness before. I realize now that I have made a gravies mistake of questioning my faith, I ask the great Allah to help me never doubt his words ever again. I will try to read and learn as much as I can of his divine words and the great wisdom that was in the prophets words. I thank you brothers for helping me in this dire time of doubt and confusion. May we meet in heaven and enjoy the generosity of our great and merciful god. Amen

It is perhaps interesting to note aside that when people convert to Judaism they tend to obey the laws and keep kosher much better than most people that are born Jews.

It has also been said that in any Christian church there are 9 members by inheritance for every 1 by conversion.

The fact that you once stood outside of Islam and no not to take its creeds for granted says a lot about your devotion. The fact that you struggle says a lot about your humanity. The fact that you succeed demonstrates your resilience, and I find your faith and story inspiring.

I have never known those words, but my eyes have shed tears when I read them, I have never felt this confidence and calmness before. I realize now that I have made a gravies mistake of questioning my faith, I ask the great Allah to help me never doubt his words ever again. I will try to read and learn as much as I can of his divine words and the great wisdom that was in the prophets words. I thank you brothers for helping me in this dire time of doubt and confusion. May we meet in heaven and enjoy the generosity of our great and merciful god. Amen

MashaAllah this thread serves as such a beautiful example of brotherly concern and mahabba (love). May Allah reward you all for your intentions and keep us all steadfast in these times of confusion and tribulation.

Ameen.

Ameen, brother. It's wonderful to see that your heart is still open to Allah, and I guarantee you that you only have good things ahead of you.

Also, it's very true that a big number of Muslims represent Islam badly. But Islam is a way of life from our creator, and it is perfect, as He is perfect. Take it easy and always remember to keep Allah on your mind, and to praise Him. Allah loves those who love Him.

"It is not righteousness that you turn your faces towards East or West.

But it is righteousness to believe in Allah and the Last Day,

And the Angels, and the Book, and the Messengers;

To spend of your substance, out of love for Him,

For your kin, for orphans, for the needy,

for the wayfarer, for those who ask, and for the ransom of slaves;

To be steadfast in prayer

And give in charity;

To fulfill the contracts which you have made;

And to be firm and patient, in pain and adversity

And throughout all periods of panic.

Such are the people of truth, the God-fearing.

[Qur'an 2:177]

Salam.

An advice from me is to keep praying because salah is the relation between the slave and his lord is like a rope where at one end is you and the other end Allah so hold on to the rope of Allah . Allah states as the purpose of Salah. "Surely Salah prevents from all filthy and hatred activities". That means when a believer performs his prayer with its full spirit that will control him and prevent him from all undesired activities. May Allah almighty guide and bless you.

I’d like to share a story with you, of a friend of mine who reverted to Islam. When she first learned and understood the wisdom of salah she urgently needed someone to teacher how to pray so she asked her three born Muslim friends, to teacher how to pray, she says that they just kept delay it. They would say tomorrow the day after and so on. So time went on without her yet knowing how to pray but her dedication to practice Islam despite all difficulties at that time, drove her to find another Muslimah ,a Muslimah which also happened to be a revert. After she learned how to pray she went back and began teaching her born Muslim friends how to pray. Although this story happened sixteen years ago as I was told but it so common nowadays. I shared this simple story with you just to remind you that lack of knowledge is so wide spread among lots of Muslims, and I also to show that a lot of reverts nowadays are in fact the centre of a good example. So aim at presenting the correct Islam yourself instead of looking a good example because no one is perfect.

……….sorry I feel I haven’t made my points clearly, do ask if any thing seems unclear. I used to find speaking reaally hard when I was young so don’t worry it won’t upset me if any edits are made. Also if anybody disagrees with me then do say I like to learn from others.

I thank you all brothers who have helped me renew my faith in god, I have never felt this confident in a long time but I have made up my mind to spend the next holy month of Ramadan in Makkah, praying to god and asking him to forgive me for ever doubting him. I don’t know what would I have done or how lost I would be if it wasn’t for your kind guidance and that of others I have known for along time that stood by me and saved me from darkness in this life and the next. And if god wills I will pray for you all in the holiest spot on earth, may we dine together in heaven. Amen.

As-salaamu 'alaikum

Dear brother

I am a revert to Islam to and I know how disheartening it can be to see Muslims all around you who seem to live a life no different from the one that you left, but as many have already stated on this thread, don’t judge Islam by its “so-called†adherents because not everyone is truthful in the claim, the poet said:

“Everyone claims to love Layla but Layla loves none of them.â€

If you need any help or support from someone who as a revert can relate first hand to your experiences then feel free to email me at: siraatulmustaqim[at]hotmail(contact admin if its a beneficial link)

Aboo Uthmaan

salaam

Brother noislam there were also female members who responded back to you, I am angry with you :sl:

cos you excluded us from you great thanks.

just joking i hope everythings well insha Allah may Allah bless your monthof ibaada. your lucky i would've liked to go to makkah is been so long since i had visited so make the most of it. and please don't forget us in your duaas.

ma salaama.

salaam

Brother noislam there were also female members who responded back to you, I am angry with you :sl:

cos you excluded us from you great thanks.

just joking i hope everythings well insha Allah may Allah bless your monthof ibaada. your lucky i would've liked to go to makkah is been so long since i had visited so make the most of it. and please don't forget us in your duaas.

ma salaama.

I do apologize for leaving my sisters out of my first threads but that doesn’t mean I only asked god for better brothers in Islam. I was just unsure regarding this topic considering that I converted in Saudi Arabia, over there talking about woman is considered disrespectful or uncomfortable to others. May we all drink from the blessed water of Al kothar well from the beloved hands of our prophet in judgment day, amen!

I'm not Muslim, but I agree with what others have said here. Your religion is between you and God. If you believe it is wrong to consume alcohol, why should it matter to you that others who call themselves Muslim consume alcohol? Their religion also is between themselves and God. You can't live someone else's life, you can only live your own. I don't understand why you would consider abandoning something that gives you inner peace just because others don't follow the same practices or believe the same things that you do. Listen to your own mind, and your own heart, and seek friends who will support you in the path you have decided is best for you.

I'm also sorry to hear that your family (or, at any rate, your mother) has rejected you because of your beliefs. I don't believe that's right, but hopefully she will one day see the light.

I'm not Muslim, but I agree with what others have said here. Your religion is between you and God. If you believe it is wrong to consume alcohol, why should it matter to you that others who call themselves Muslim consume alcohol? Their religion also is between themselves and God. You can't live someone else's life, you can only live your own. I don't understand why you would consider abandoning something that gives you inner peace just because others don't follow the same practices or believe the same things that you do. Listen to your own mind, and your own heart, and seek friends who will support you in the path you have decided is best for you.

I'm also sorry to hear that your family (or, at any rate, your mother) has rejected you because of your beliefs. I don't believe that's right, but hopefully she will one day see the light.

Thank you for your kind consideration. About me questioning my faith I just want you and every one to know that’s done it's in the past and I ask god to spare me any more of it! Amen. But the reason I did have second thoughts about my decision of going into the light of Islam was for the most part my lack of knowledge of its vast branches and divinity imbedded with in it by god. I didn’t have enough faith which is built upon knowledge of god and his holy words to help me stand against today's shifting tides. Also imagine if the same people who taught you some thing and didn’t respect that lessen by practicing it in their own lives would you respect it and practice it? Wouldn’t you question it and develop second and third thoughts about weather to believe in it or not? That’s exactly what happened to me. Some of the very same people whom helped me convert did horrible things in front of me. What was I suppose to think? I mean I regretted listening to them at first and was confused and stressed to a level that I couldn’t read the morning Sunday news paper…. But thank god who have delivered me away from sinners into his company of religious yet modest Muslims on this website and in real world. Thank you god! Thank you. :sl:

salam.

I think one thing everyone in here is forgetting is that we all some times find ups and downs in our eman just like there are ups and downs in our life that just how life is, is our duty to pick up our self again at the down times. For example, when I first started wearing my abaaya I did it because I noticed I wasn't covering I as well as it should do. So I started wearing it, few weeks in after my practise I would always whisper to my self. well just wearing the long skirt with out the abaca was covering already and that there was really no need for the abaaya, to top it up I would notice all the extra attention from people especially the non Muslims they'll normally would say oh I have just noticed you don't wear the normal cloth anymore, what is this black dress, ermm so your not allowed change it, our do you have to wear it everyday. Even my Muslim friends would say look you were already covering that's enough covering in this country, lot of the woman wear mini skirt don't you think that a long skirt was already the contrast to that. so that really got me frustrated I couldn't believe that they literally thought I don't change it even though the texture of my abaaya material were clearly different, and quickly I started to almost adapt my Muslim friends opinions, at the end Satan won over me and I went back to the tight long skirt that clearly as I thought imaged my figure. And pushed the abaayas to a side totally after a while alhumduallah things were more clear as I understood the wisdom behind it and became stronger and firmly believed that no a long skirt was definitely not covering never mind that it was far from the proper dress code for a muslimah.then I wanted to go back to wearing the abaay, I am now firm at it and I am actually in process of seeing that there is more I can do in terms of my hijab. I just say that my case of a major ups and down's I have experienced, and out of my experiences I learned that constantly working and striving is needed in our eman in order to keep our Islam, in the right direction and that we are in levels in terms of our eman and that we can climb up the ladder by learning every time new things in Islam. So is not to feel bad about our eman as is it nature to have ups and downs. Is almost like Islam is built that way so we can always find things to do, or some perfection that needs to be done in our practises constantly.

masalam

salam.

I think one thing everyone in here is forgetting is that we all some times find ups and downs in our eman just like there are ups and downs in our life that just how life is, is our duty to pick up our self again at the down times. For example, when I first started wearing my abaaya I did it because I noticed I wasn't covering I as well as it should do. So I started wearing it, few weeks in after my practise I would always whisper to my self. well just wearing the long skirt with out the abaca was covering already and that there was really no need for the abaaya, to top it up I would notice all the extra attention from people especially the non Muslims they'll normally would say oh I have just noticed you don't wear the normal cloth anymore, what is this black dress, ermm so your not allowed change it, our do you have to wear it everyday. Even my Muslim friends would say look you were already covering that's enough covering in this country, lot of the woman wear mini skirt don't you think that a long skirt was already the contrast to that. so that really got me frustrated I couldn't believe that they literally thought I don't change it even though the texture of my abaaya material were clearly different, and quickly I started to almost adapt my Muslim friends opinions, at the end Satan won over me and I went back to the tight long skirt that clearly as I thought imaged my figure. And pushed the abaayas to a side totally after a while alhumduallah things were more clear as I understood the wisdom behind it and became stronger and firmly believed that no a long skirt was definitely not covering never mind that it was far from the proper dress code for a muslimah.then I wanted to go back to wearing the abaay, I am now firm at it and I am actually in process of seeing that there is more I can do in terms of my hijab. I just say that my case of a major ups and down's I have experienced, and out of my experiences I learned that constantly working and striving is needed in our eman in order to keep our Islam, in the right direction and that we are in levels in terms of our eman and that we can climb up the ladder by learning every time new things in Islam. So is not to feel bad about our eman as is it nature to have ups and downs. Is almost like Islam is built that way so we can always find things to do, or some perfection that needs to be done in our practises constantly.

masalam

I salute you sister! You deserve a lot of respect for your fine adaptation with Islam in your country. But there is a point I would like to clarify here, there is a difference between culture and religion lets take the woman covering issue for example, we know that a Muslim sister needs to cover her body well when ever out of her home or with stranger company. But look at Muslim women from different nations for example. Women in Saudi Arabia cover their entire body with a black dress even their faces in most cases that’s not required by Islam it has more to do with their old culture and heritage then Islam but none the less it satisfies the Islamic basic requirement of body cover. Where in Egypt women wear colored scarves on their heads to cover their hear and some times don’t wear a black dress but any thing that covers them well enough not to be noticed by any one. Both parties are correct but the difference is a matter of cultural diversity. You don’t necessarily need to wear all black. You can use colors. But remember the main point of this is to have a complete cover over the body. I read this Hadith that really amazed me yet frightened me at the same time the Prophet (peace and prayers upon him and his family) said that at the last days of this earth before Judgment day there will be wide spread of none Islamic behaviors one of the things he stated was women who had cloths on but were naked, which is exactly what we see today. One of my friends who traveled to the US with his mother and sister told me that his sister wore a hat to cover her hair and a bigger size long sleeve T- shirt to cover he body she wasn’t even noticed as a Muslim by any one they just thought she had a bit of a weird taste considering that it was summer time (poor thing). But you see she covered her self using the clothing habits of the country she was in, satisfying god and not drawing any attention to her self (not that attention is a bad thing but some people don’t like this kind of it any way). I am not saying hide your religion but its sort of a stress management.

Nice screen name. Let's cut to the chase. You're goofing on these people, aren't you, Noislam ? Well join the club ! :sl:

I find your reply insulting I am a Muslim make no mistake. I don’t understand where your hatred towards me is coming from but I hope you find some peace in your lightless life. A Muslims true reward is god's appreciation in this life and the next. And I made it my hobby to never mix up my priorities.