Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Averroes

Your Views On The Nature Of God

Your Views on the Nature of God  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Is Allah (swt), our Creator, existent within space and time ("above the heavens" etc)?

• Yes, I believe that our Lord is existent within space and time (give reason)
    • No, I believe that our Lord transcends time and space (elaborate)

As salaam alaikum, and a blessed Ramadan to all

This poll is exclusively for the Muslim members of our board, but our non Muslim friends are free to partake in the discussions.

The question is purely theological and the results hopefully will reflect the personal beliefs of Gawaher's mainstream Muslims regarding the holy nature of our Lord and Originator Whom we invoke as "God."

Please take your time and think about it, despite the simplicity thereof. Ponder on the spiritual and scientific consequence(s) of either concept.

If possible, write a brief post after you select your answer and explain why you believe in choice #1 or choice #2, its implications etc,. Give a little detail. Believe it or not, the difference between the two is immeasurable and the outcome is of great significance.

Thanks, and jazak Allah khair,

Averroes

PropellerAds

Assalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahee wa Barakatu

Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala is omnipotent, omniscient, and transcendant

1. God is omnipotent because his power is everywhere and He is able to do all things

2. God is omniscient because his knowledge is everywhere and He knows everything and whatever is hidden and concealed in our hearts

3. God is transcendent because His Essence is Above/Over/Upon His Throne and the Creation in a manner that suits His Majesty.

Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala Oneself does not penetrate the creation nor does He live inside trees, rocks or other creation nor is the Creation an extension of the Creator. There is no union between the Creator and the Creation.

To the same time he is not like what the anthropomorphists claim sitting on a chair like a human being in a place and in a time etc., none is like unto Him, but it is His Will that He does not unite with the creation or is in every place. He is still in every direction in a manner that suits his Majesty. Whatever direction we pray du'aa we pray towards Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala.

Beliefs are hardly the issue here, if Allah says He is above the Heavens, then He is. If Allah created all that exists, then He did.

Also, we can't really say whether He is sitting on His throne, or not. Allah says in the Qur'an that He is above His throne. That's enough for us to know.

Salam

The concepts of time space and everything seen and unseen are the concepts of him, exalted in might. Allah most certainly transcends every physical and metaphysical boundary. I would like to explain a bit further, but Allah is one and he creates everything, he's not bound by limits nor can any amount of knowledge convey his might. Simply, time and space are limitations. None of it would exist without thought, the thought of Allah most high. Time itself is nonexistent on a philosophical perspective unless it's observed. And who oversees all? Allah is the preserver of all things. Every aspect of life is fully dependent on that preservation.

Beliefs are hardly the issue here, if Allah says He is above the Heavens, then He is. If Allah created all that exists, then He did.

Also, we can't really say whether He is sitting on His throne, or not. Allah says in the Qur'an that He is above His throne. That's enough for us to know.

Salam

The issue "here" is certainly irrelevant to revelation's perspective. I can see where you're coming from: "it doesn't matter what we believe, what counts is that which was revealed in Scripture."

Although technically true, this statement in itself is a really poor argument in contention. In the Qur'an, Allah (swt) directs us to ponder upon His attributes and reflect on their meanings. If we can't even comprehend our own aqeeda then surely we are unqualified for arguing with atheists and agnostics.

Islam therefore offers plenty of room for philosophy and intellectualism, so long as it consists with Islamic creed. Like it or not, many Muslims disagree on numerous concepts in theology, period. Hence the purpose of my poll is not to determine what is true or false, obviously? This topic is merely a survey, nothing more, nothing less.

I realize now I should have added an extra choice, that being "I don't know," seeing how nearly a hundred people have viewed this thread without making a choice. Guess what that signifies.

Thanks to all for your comments, they are well appreciated.

All the best,

Averroes

:sl: muhsinmuttaqi,

There is no union between the Creator and the Creation.

If "union" is understood here as a physical connection, then I concur.

Thank you for your time,

Averroes

Pondering and reflecting on the attributes of Allah do not mean creating our own theories about His nature and His abilities. It is so that we revel in His majesty and that it strengthens our iman.

You asked a question in your poll, and gave two options.

1) Allah exists outside of time and space.

2) Allah exists within time and space.

And then you told us to express our views. Clearly, one view is wrong, since it is the complete opposite of the other. Therefore, one person has guessed correctly, and the other has told a lie against Allah.

For example, the Qur'an says that Allah is above His throne. It does not say in which manner. Does this mean that we are to guess? Is it right of us to say "He is sitting on His throne" or "He is hovering above His throne"? I would hope not.

If Allah has mentioned certains attributes of Himself, then it is fine to mention them. But I would be careful about going beyond that.

I hope it doesn't sound like criticism, brother, and if it does, I'll be out of your way.

Say: "(But) the things that my Lord has indeed forbidden are the Fawahish (immoral deeds) whether committed openly or secretly, and Ithm, and transgression without right, and joining partners with Allah for which He has given no authority, and saying things about Allah of which you have no knowledge.''[7:33]

Salam.

Edited by Layna

:sl:

Allah is The Creator of space and time and thus He transcends both space and time.

Time is a created container filled with events. It also has a beginning. The Creator Allah (swt) is not subject to His creation, and therefore has no beginning and no end.

Things which occupy space are composite. Allah is not confined in this way. He is not contained by space, hence there is no space in the Universe which can occupy Him (swt).

This is my understanding and my belief of the nature of Allah's transcendence.

Wa'Allahu a'lam.

Edited by emel

Assalamu Alaykum

Allah subhaana wa ta'aala transcends beyond time and space. He created time and space- all the objects of this world and the laws of space and time for exercising control over existence, i.e how long we live etc. Having said that, Allah is not subject to the laws whatsoever which are meant for all that is visible in the world. Everything in the universe has a beginning and end whereas Allah doesn't have a beginning nor end. How I understand the nature of God, He created us and gave us laws according to our existence so He may see how we function under them and what path we choose based on the limited time and space that we live in, then it is God who wills when each and every one of our lives will be taken and ready to be judged. His attributes don't change or increase, He has always been the God that He is even before he created us, it is us who live within the boundaries of time and space that are subject to cause, effect and what not. Everything within the Universe is temporary, and God is not. He cannot be everywhere but at the same time he cannot be nowhere. His knowledge and wisdom is beyond our comprehension, we only act according to what we understand (which is obviously limited within the time and space of our existence).

Basically what I'm trying to say is that God is infinite and humans invoke Him in times of need and what not, God listens to those who seek His help- that is the nature of God, he created us and left us to function under the laws he gave and tests us.

Salaams

I agree with the last two, if you are asking a muslim then a muslim should definitly believe that Allah transcends time and space. It is revelation. He clearly revealed to us that he created everyhting. Time and space are two things of this everything. Hence, he created them. Hence, he transcends them.

I don't see how we can even discuss this.

:j: good posts in this thread. :no:

Just a reminder:

Be very careful when discussing matters of the Unseen.

Especially because its beyond our comprehension.

lol, sorry guys. That lone vote on option 1 is me; I'd meant to click option 2 and my mouse went nuts on me.

Salam.