Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Yurt

Talking with muslims in my area

The Islamic (not sure what to call it but the sign says "center", hmm, don't quote me) building/house a block and a half from me is empty every time I pass by. I really want to go, but it is wierd because I am not sure it is a Masjid or what not. Plus, it is on a busy street, yeah, I live in a somewhat small town and this street turns into a highway eventually, love it!!! I grew up in San Diego and realized I do not like big cities, but that is just for me, they have their place and their people.

So, back to the topic, what to do? How do I contact them? Do I contact them? Not sure they what they would be like, ie, I have met many people on this board, maybe they will not talk with me like people do on this board because this is "cyberspace."

Help?

PropellerAds

Peace, Yurt.

You might have to call them.

I went to visit a masjid near here maybe eight years ago. It was part of a design class, actually, it's the coolest peice of architecture. We had to call ahead of time and get the imam to meet us and show us in. They have a big wall around it and keep the gates locked except at prayer times. They said they wanted to keep it open, but teens in the neighborhood would throw rocks at the building and break the big bent-glass dome. The Muslim community couldn't afford to keep making repairs, so they locked it down.

Maybe your local Muslims don't have that problem, though. Have you tried just knocking?

If it's a Masjid, they will welcome you in a heartbeat... they treated me so nice, i was just a little curious on what it was and had questions, i hope they didn't think i wanted to convert. They invite me to some functions, don't be afraid, just go up and knock, you will be pleasently surprised.

Peace,

^ Muslims are supposed to be polite and helpful, regardless whether their guest is going to convert or not. :P

Yeah, some of the Masjids here in the US are called centers.. :D

If you want to meet the Imam, then yeah, you should call. You may end going there, and he won't be there, so it would be less of an inconvienance for you if you just call. But if you just wanna meet Muslims in general, definately on Friday at around noon there should be Muslims there. :D

Peace out.

Peace

It depends whether you just genuinely intend to meet the imam or Muslim in general. If you just want to meet Muslim people I advice you that you go on Friday noon like Mm stated because that is when they pray the jumu’ah prayer. Whether you intend to revert or just merely want to ask few questions either way you will be welcomed warmly so don’t be scared. However, if you want to meet the imam I suggest you call before hand or ask one of the fellow Muslim brothers if they know what time he comes. Which ever approach you take I wish you best luck and inform us of what you do and how it went, it will be interesting to read.

I think the simplist thing to do is...

Pray to God to help you out.... :D seriously

Thanks for the replies.

It actually is not a masjid it is says "Islamic Society" on the front. I guess it couuld be a masjid, but it is just a house converted into the Society, like the other businesses around here.

Found their number and might call them. Hey, maybe I can even tell them about this site :D

Peace,

Yeah...I know. A masjid nearby us is also called "Islamic Society of..[insert city name here]". Its most probably a masjid. :D

Hope you have a learning experience. Keep us updated. :D

Peace out.

Greetings Yurt,

As you're probably aware, I am a revert to Islam. As such, up until about a year ago I had never been to the Masjid/masjid. I didn't really know what to expect. I accepted Islam as my religion about 2 yrs ago but I didn't go to the masjid because I was self conscious about knowing my prayers and not seeming like I was just trying to fit in or something.

You know, the crazy thought process some Americans have when they want to join a new social group.

Anyhow, as stated above, the most likely time to find people there would be at noon-1pm on a Friday.

I wouldn't be worried about people rushing you to "convert" or anything like that. I suspect they will be as inquisitive as you are, wondering your motivation to come see them etc...not like you're FBI or something, in a good way like wondering about the questions in life that you are seeking answers for at the masjid.

Just be honest and let people know you're there to learn and if I had to guess I would suspect you will leave the masjid with at least one new # in your cell. Perhaps you will meet someone friendly and you can meet/discuss over food at a Halal restaurant.

I think that is the best way to go about learning Islam, from Muslims during everyday life. I think that a person, especially in this country, might find an abundance of generosity and kindness to be suspicious at a place of worship...I'm saying I think people might expect the Muslims are being nice only in an attempt to have a new member of the society. That's why I think it would be better to experience the kindness of Muslims in a more "normal" setting, so you can experience the sincerity first hand.

By the way, even if the place you're talking about isn't a formal Masjid, like how christians have churches, I would expect prayers to be held there. In Islam we don't need an elaborate building to pray, so you'll probably find Muslims to answer some of your questions even if it's not what we have described.

Allahu alam (God knows best)

Peace and good luck on your quest for knowledge :D

AS

(w00t) LOL, FBI

Actually I am double o 8, bond is retired. :P

Yeah, hopefully they will not think that of me, very doubtful, I don't have that beady eyed look and no aviator sun glasses :D :D

I might do this sometime next week or after the holidays.

Peace.

if you never went to a Masjid how did you convert?

You dont need to go to a Masjid to revert... unless I am mistaken :D

Yurt, my own experience with Muslim friends locally came from being involved in an interfaith project where we met .. that is aside from two medical doctors and their wives I met through other circumstances over the years.

The people I've worked with are very polite and interested in open discussion, not at all censored or restricted by a bunch of rules. As a result, my family and I were invited to attend discussion and language classes at one of the two Masjids here. This has been a delightful association and friendships have developed. Several of us still do community work together and have exchange dinners on occasion.

Intersting Kudzu but I didn't quite get what you meant by this statement, care to elaborate? :D

not at all censored or restricted by a bunch of rules.

Intersting Kudzu but I didn't quite get what you meant by this statement, care to elaborate? :D

Of course, zeinab, it means free to talk and discuss without censorship of speech and ideas; without preset rules of subjects one can discuss .. open debate even. It is with the understanding that common sense and mutual respect prevail with adults.

Yurt,

Did you go check the place out yet? I'm really curious to find out what you thought. Everytime I log on I check this thread awaiting your appraisal of the place.

:D

Peace,

AS

Indeed Yurt, how did it go?

Of course, zeinab, it means free to talk and discuss without censorship of speech and ideas; without preset rules of subjects one can discuss .. open debate even. It is with the understanding that common sense and mutual respect prevail with adults.

By all means Kudzu I thought you already knew that is permissible as long it doesn't insult what we value the most. As Yurt and others will encounter whether on this forum or Muslims you meet none will allow an offense of our religion and besides rules are present for good reasons and prevent things you didn’t witness.

Indeed Yurt, how did it go?

By all means Kudzu I thought you already knew that is permissible as long it doesn't insult what we value the most. As Yurt and others will encounter whether on this forum or Muslims you meet none will allow an offense of our religion and besides rules are present for good reasons and prevent things you didn’t witness.

And.... how the things kudu say are offensive to religion ? i really miss to understand.

He just described the meeting of 2 different comunity in a neutral "zone".

I have not had a chance to interact yet. I am going to call tomorrow. :D

Thanks for the support. :D

:D

Yes do bro ... never Delay in doing righteous deeds ...!!!! Inshallah Allah (s.w.t) ,Exalted be HE , will Guide you in your prosperous journey to enlightenment and spiritualism !!!!

And.... how the things kudu say are offensive to religion ? i really miss to understand.

Venier I didn't say she offended religion I said the discussion is open as long there is no insult to what we value the most.

I called today and the phone rang and rang with no answer machine. I will try tomorrow, if work does not permit, then after Christmas.

I think it is going to be very interesting to meet muslims in my area. Will keep posted with my progress.

I tell you, I can not wait until God comes, for then all this disharmony will be wiped out and I won't have to say, "I am meeting muslims," I will be meeting my fellow brothers and sisters in God. And muslims will not have to worry about "meeting christians" for we will all be as ... hmmm, ooops, the bible says as "one" but I am not sure that is "preaching" so I will stop.

Hmm, must check on what Islam says about heaven.....

Peace Yurt,

If you don't mind me asking....where are you from?

Also, try and call them like a few minutes before the prayer times as the imam will surely be around at that time.

Peace Yurt,

If you don't mind me asking....where are you from?

Also, try and call them like a few minutes before the prayer times as the imam will surely be around at that time.

SL , CA. Why? Does it make a difference where I am? It is all Earth, no? Just different locations/latitudes... If you ask because I am wanting to know muslims in my area, then pm me and we can talk further.

Sorry, but what are the prayer times exactly?