Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dot

Hud (as)

Hud (AS)

All Prayers and Blessings of Allah be upon our master, the most noble Prophet Muhammad. We praise Allah, thank Him, seek His help, guidance and forgiveness. We seek refuge in Allah from the evil in our souls and the sinfulness of our deeds. “Whomever Allah guides, then he is right-guided, and whomever He leads away into error, then you will never find for him a right-minded patron” (TMQ, 18:17)[1].

After taking about prophet Nuh (AS), we will now talk about the prophet who followed him; Hud (AS). When Nuh’s arc was anchored on Mt. Al-Joudy, he made a dua’a (supplication) that can be translated as, “Lord, Forgive me and my parents and whoever enters my home as believer, and male-believers and female-believers” (TMQ, 71:28). Notice that you are included in that dua’a since Nuh (AS) was making dua’a for all believers without even knowing them.

Nuh’s (AS) descendants settled on that mountain. They were his three sons Ham, Sam and Japheth. All mankind come from these three descendants; every Arab has descended from Sam, all those of dark skin have descended from Ham, and the Europeans and the other races have descended from Japheth. Consequently, when we refer to the Americans as the sons of Uncle Sam, we do not mean Nuh’s son, as this is a common misunderstanding. [uncle Sam is a fictional figure that symbolizes the Americans]. Each one of the three brothers lived in a different place; Sam lived in the Middle East, Ham lived in Africa, and Japheth lived in the northern hemisphere (Europe). All three of them were believers; this means that Europe, the Middle East and Africa were basically lands of believers. Earth, in the ancient times, was mainly a place of faith. To know that believing in Allah (SWT) and having faith was the natural thing on Earth should develop your self-esteem. Faith and our closeness to Allah (SWT) is the origin. We believe in our Islam, our creed and our way of living.

The story of Hud (AS) took place in the Middle East, in the Arab peninsula between Yemen, Oman, and Saudi Arabia. Moreover, this area is known as the Empty Quarter. The Qur’an refers to it as al-Ahqaf, the plural of haqaf, which is quick sand that swallows those who stand on it. That is why it is an unpopulated, arid area. However, during the era of the people of Aad, it was fertile and full of rivers. This shows that the Arab peninsula was actually a land full of greenery. Allah (SWT) turned it into an arid and barren land after the annihilation of Aad, to set them as an example for others. No one knows where Adam (AS) and Nuh (AS) lived. What we know is where the people of Aad were, because the Qur’an has defined the place precisely in Surat Al-Ahqaf, as Allah (SWT) says what can be translated as, “And remember the brother of Aad, as he warned his people beside (i.e., in the valley of) the Sand Dunes” (TMQ, 46:21). This ayah will always remind us that once the people of Aad disobeyed Allah (SWT), He turned their land into a desert and named a whole Surah in Qur’an Al-Ahqaf, after their land. Could you imagine what would happen if the Nile Valley was turned into a desert?

Hud (AS) was the prophet sent to Aad. The word aad means “to return” in Arabic. After the flood, the human race returned to inhabit the land. However, they never understood the fact that their name should remind them of the blessing Allah (SWT) bestowed on them by returning them back. As a result of forgetting that, He wiped them out completely.

There were four generations between Hud (AS) and Nuh (AS). Hud’s (AS) third grandfather was Sam and his fourth was Nuh (AS). Nuh’s (AS) sixth grandfather was Idris (Enoch). Idris’(AS) third grandfather was Sheith, Adam’s (AS) son. You may notice that the generations of Prophets are connected. We could have that as an example to follow in our families, having them extending in generations in faith, worshipping Allah (SWT) as He says what ca be translated as, “An offspring of one another, (literally: some of them from some “others)” (TMQ, 3:34). Thus, when you consider marriage, keep the jannah (paradise) on your mind by choosing a religious wife. Likewise, a woman has to make sure that she chooses a religious and honest husband that would treat her kindly.

Now back to Hud (AS). When the believers descended from Nuh’s (AS) ship, they had their faith reaffirmed as a result of being saved in this manner by Allah (SWT). The following two generations had strong faith too and that is why Satan could not overcome them. However, the third generation strayed from the straight path as Satan played the same old trick. He had them idolize the righteous people to the point of actually worshipping the idols they made to symbolize them. In spite of being miraculously saved from the flood, the people of Aad were the first to worship idols again, thus opening the way for polytheism once more. It might sound incredible, yet they were not the only ones who did that; the israelites acted in a similar manner. Right after they were saved from the Pharaoh and crossed the river, the israelites saw people worshipping the calf and said, as narrate in what can be translated as, “O Musa, (Moses) make for us a god as they have gods” (TMQ, 7:138).

This has always been the case between mankind and Satan. Satan simply never gives up being, what the scholars call, “ever-persistent and slow to despair”. His objective is to throw you in hellfire or to at least lead you to be one of those on al-a’raf, a place for those whose good deeds are equal to their bad ones. Satan hates you so much that he does his best to insinuate the undergoing of the following seven phases:

- The first phase: To make you disbelieve. Once you utter the shahada (declaration of faith), you are saved. He then shifts to the next phase.

- The second phase: To make you a polytheist by embellishing other interests such that you would prefer them to obeying Allah (SWT). Such interests may include fashion, watching T.V., money or women. The prophet (SAWS[2]) said, “Let the slave of the Dinar and Dirham, of Quantify and Khamisa (i.e. money and luxurious clothes) perish for he is pleased if these things are given to him, and if not, he is displeased!” (Authentic Hadith narrated by Al-Bukhari). Allah (SWT) says, what can be translated as, “And of mankind are (some) who take to themselves, apart from Allah, (false) compeers. They love them as with the love (due) to Allah” (TMQ, 2:165). When you prefer fashion to hijab (veil), or when you delay prayers in order to watch TV, you are not a disbeliever. Rather, by doing that you are equating Allah (SWT) and your urges and wishes. Following the sunnah (prophetic deeds or sayings) helps you to have control over this problem.

- The third phase: To insinuate the commitment of major sins like drinking wine for example. Repentance from such sins helps you to overcome them.

- The fourth phase: To insinuate the commitment of minor sins like refusing to lower your gaze or backbiting. Satan’s way here is to convince you that you are still better than those who are committing major sins. Nevertheless, you should always remember that small sins accumulate and become major. Repentance is once again your way out.

- The fifth phase: Takes place when you refuse to indulge in major or minor sins but rather waste your time in trivialities. So you are basically a good person who does nothing wrong, but who does no pious deeds either.

- The sixth phase: In this phase Satan confuses your priorities so that you preoccupy yourself with less important deeds and ignore the more important ones. The Prophet (SAWS) said, “Faith has over seventy branches or over sixty branches, the most excellent of which is the declaration that there is no god but Allah, and the humblest of which is the, removal of what is injurious from the path: and modesty is the branch of faith” (Authentic hadith narrated by Muslim).

- The seventh phase: When Satan knows that he has no influence over you and so insinuates others to mock your deeds or to harm you. He does so as a last resort to keep you away from the right path.

I am afraid that some could be in phase two. Others could have undergone most of them. Which phase are you in?

The story of Hud (AS) is neither mentioned in the Injil (Gospel) nor in the Torah. However, Hud (AS) was mentioned seven times in Qur’an. Moreover, the story of his people was mentioned in 18 Surahs. It was an extraordinary tribe and was extremely strong. Allah (SWT) says, what can be translated as, “Have you not seen how your Lord has done with Aad, Iram comprising the columns, (i.e., It is the city of Aad, who were stalwart and huge buildings). The like of which was not created in the lands?” (TMQ, 89:6-7). Furthermore, it was absolutely the strongest civilization on Earth. Al-imad means the large columns and the city of Aad was built of such columns.

They also had extraordinary bodies. Allah (SWT) says, what can be translated as, “And remember when (literally: as) He made you successors even after the people of Nužh, and increased you sizably (literally: Outspreading “in stature”) in creation” (TMQ, 7:69). “Sizably in creation” means that they had huge bodies that enabled them to merely stretch their arms in order to remove stones from the mountain. The shortest one was 30 m tall and the tallest was 50 m tall. Moreover, Allah (SWT) says what can be translated as, “Do you build on every prominence a sign, sporting? (i.e., huge prominence inspiring fear)” (TMQ, 26:128). “Every prominence” here means the highest mountain, since they did not build their houses except on such mountains. “Every prominence” on the other hand refers to the architectural wonders their buildings used to be. I do need to stress on that point to explain that the strength of current civilizations are not comparable to that of Aad, and thus the former are not safe from the might of Allah (SWT).

Moreover, the prophet (SAWS) further explains the luxury Aad lived in the Hadith which can be translated as, “The Last Hour will not come …till the land of Arabia becomes meadows and rivers” (Authentic Hadith, narrated By Muslim).

In spite of all the blessings they were endowed with, the people of Aad disobeyed, disbelieved, and abandoned worshiping Allah (SWT). The question to ask here is: how did Hud (AS) address his people and what were his means of carrying out the da’wa (missionary activity)?

In Surat Al-A’raf, Allah (SWT) considers Hud (AS) as Aad’s brother due to his love and kindness to them. Allah says what can be translated as, “And to Aad (We sent) their brother Hužd” (TMQ, 7:65). This is the essence of carrying out the da’wa and it is all clear in Qur’an. Being a brother when you carry out the da’wa indicates affability and kindliness. Moreover, the word hud in Arabic comes from huduu’ which denotes calmness and peacefulness. Hud (AS) said what can be translated as, “O my people! Worship Allah!” (TMQ 7:65). Fixing faith is the Prophets’ top priority. They start by calling people to worship Allah (SWT) with all due love and submissiveness. The ayah goes on as Allah (SWT) says what can be translated as, “In no way do you have any god other than He. Will you then not be pious?” (TMQ 7:65). When Hud (AS) said, “Will you then not be pious?”, he wanted to remind his people of what happened to the people of Nuh (AS). In the next ayah, Allah (SWT) says what can be translated as, “The chiefs who disbelieved among his people said, “Surely we see you indeed in foolishness, and surely we indeed expect that you are one of the liars.” (TMQ, 7:66).

In spite of their accusations, Hud replied calmly. Allah (SWT) says what can be translated as, “Said he, “O my people! There is no foolishness in me, but I am a Messenger from The Lord of the worlds. I constantly proclaim to you the messages of my Lord, and I am for you a devoted adviser. And do you wonder (Literally: have you wondered) that a remembrance from your Lord has come to you upon a man among you, that he may warn you? And remember when (literally: as) He made you successors even after the people of Nuh, and increased you sizably (literally: outspreading “in stature”) in creation”” (TMQ, 7:67-69).

In that ayah, Hud (AS) reminded them of Allah’s blessings, “So remember the boons of Allah, that possibly you would prosper” (TMQ, 7:69). The word boons is mentioned many times in Surat Ar-Rahman to remind us to always thank Allah (SWT). The Prophet (SAWS) came up to his companions and recited to them Surat Ar-Rahman (i.e. the All-Merciful) until he did with the recitation. Yet they remained silent, so the Prophet (SAWS) said, “I recited it (i.e. Surat Ar-Rahman) to the jinn and they did respond in a better way. Whenever I recited, “Then to whichever of your Lord's boons do you (both)(i.e. the jinn and mankind cry lies?)” (TMQ, 55:13), they said, “Never shall we cry lies to any of Your boons, O our Lord! Verily, we do praise You!”” (Good Hadith, narrated by Al-Albany).

“And whatever favor you have, (then) it is from Allah” (TMQ, 16:53). One of our major problems is that we forget to thank Allah (SWT) for His blessings and graces. We take them for granted just like the people of Makkah did before Islam; they took their booming commerce and successful summer and winter commercial journeys for granted. The blessing of remembering to thank Allah (SWT) for his graces deserves even more thanking. Let us always remember to thank Allah (SWT ). Alhamdu-lillah (Praise be to Allah) for the many blessings that abound heaven and earth.

Omar Ibnul-Khattab (RA) once met a man and asked him, “How are you today?” The man said, “Fine”. Omar asked him again, “How are you today?” Once again the man replied, “Fine”. Omar (RA), then, repeated the question for the last time, “I ask you, How are you today?” The man finally got the point and said, “Fine, alhamdu-lillah.” To that Omar (RA) said, “That is what I wanted to hear”. This is how Omar (RA) chose to remind people of this important manner. I advise you to thank Allah (SWT) for three minutes every day on your way to work, to school, etc. Allah (SWT) says what can be translated as, “And as your Lord has notified (you), “Indeed in case you thank (Him), indeed I will definitely increase you and indeed in case you disbelieve, surely My torment is indeed strict” (TMQ, 14:7). Notice that being unthankful is associated to disbelieving. Furthermore, Allah (SWT) says what can be translated as, “Surely We have guided him upon the way, whether he be thankful or most disbelieving” (TMQ, 76:3).

Back to Hud (AS). Allah (SWT) says in Surat Ash-Shu'ara what can be translated as, “As their brother Hužd said to them, “Will you not be pious? Surely I am for you a trustworthy Messenger. So be pious to Allah, and obey me. And in no way do I ask of you any reward for (this); decidedly my reward (falls) upon no one except The Lord of the worlds. Do you build on every prominence a sign, sporting? (i.e., huge prominence inspiring fear)” (TMQ, 26:124-128). The palaces and sky-scrapers were built for fun and ostentation rather than for real residence. Nowadays, many people imitate the people of Aad. For example, people squander money on wedding ceremonies for being showy though they can hardly afford it. Thus, instead of enjoying a simple virtuous wedding ceremony, the newly weds begin their life together with the sin of disobeying Allah (SWT) by holding an extravagant party that serves alcohol, or allows dancing.

Aad was doomed for the following reasons:

1- “Do you build on every prominence a sign, sporting? (i.e., huge prominence inspiring fear)” (TMQ, 26:128). Extravagance and vanity are disaster-prone.

2- “And do you take to yourselves castles (Or: huge buildings and tombs) that possibly you may abide eternally?” (TMQ, 26:129). They forgot that they are mortals and ignored the fact that they will be accountable for their deeds in the Hereafter. Castles never grant people immortality just like beauty, for example, never wards off aging.

3- “And when you assault, you assault as potentates” (TMQ, 26:130). They tyrannized with arrogance the unlucky that were at their mercy.

Accordingly, the above-mentioned qualities were the reasons of being annihilated by Allah (SWT):

1- Vanity/

2- Assuming immortality.

3- Tyranny and arrogance.

Hud (AS) went on repeating the words “pious” and “obedient”. The ayah says what can be translated as, “So be pious to Allah, and obey me” (TMQ, 26:131). Moreover, Hud (AS) reminded them of Allah’s (SWT) graces in the ayah that can be translated as, “And be pious to Him Who has supplied you with whatever you know. He has supplied you with cattle (Anaam includes; cattle, camels, sheep, and goats) and sons, and gardens and springs. Surely I fear for you the torment of a tremendous Day” (TMQ, 26:132- 135). His da’wa was based on his concerns for them. He actually cared about them when he said, “I fear for you”. Their answer was, according to the ayah that can be translated as, “They said, “It is equal to us, whether you admonish or you are not one of the admonishers. Decidedly this is nothing except the character of the earliest (people)”” (TMQ, 26:136-137).

They insisted on following the misleading ways of their forefathers no matter what he told them. I must advise you never to be too proud and arrogant when someone tries to help you. They said, as can be seen from the ayah that can be translated as, “It is equal to us, whether you admonish or you are not one of the admonishers” (TMQ, 26:136), and then, “And in no way will we be tormented” (TMQ, 26:138). After that Allah (SWT) says what can be translated as, “So they cried him lies, then We caused them to perish” (TMQ, 26:139).

To continue the story, we need to go back to Surat Hud. Allah says what can be translated as, “And to Aad (We sent) their brother Hžud. He said, “O my people, worship Allah! In no way do you have any god other than He; decidedly you are nothing except fabricators. O my people, I do not ask of you a reward for it; decidedly my reward is on none except on Him Who originated me; will you then not consider? And, O my people, ask forgiveness of your Lord; thereafter repent to Him, (and) He will send the heaven showering plentifully upon you and He will increase in power to your power; and do not turn away as criminals” (TMQ, 11:50-52).

I have previously told you that whoever sustains asking Allah (SWT) forgiveness will always find a way out of any anguish and will be relieved from all distress. Allah (SWT) would grant him and bless him when most needed and most unexpected. We should turn this into practice in order to truly aid Islam. The difference between the companions and ourselves lies in that they used to implement the teachings of the Qur’an, whereas most of us do not. Now, that we have talked about asking Allah forgiveness, who is willing to put it into practice?

Allah (SWT) says in the following ayahs what can be translated as, “They said, “O Hužd, in no way have you come to us with a supreme evidence, and in no way will we leave our gods for what you say; (literally: for your saying) and in no way are we believers (with) you” (TMQ, 11:53). They claimed that he did not show them any miracles while all other Prophets usually had ones. However, the real miracle is clear in the following ayahs where Allah (SWT) says what can be translated as, “Decidedly we say nothing except that some of our gods have gripped you with some odious treatment.” He said, “Surely I call Allah to testimony and you bear testimony that I am quit of whatever you associate (with Allah). Apart from Him; so (devise) plotting against me, altogether; thereafter do not respite me.

Surely I have put my trust in Allah, (literally: I entrust “my self” to Allah) my Lord and your Lord.” (TMQ, 11:54-56).

His miracle was that they could not kill him though he was totally on his own, with no one to protect him. He simply trusted and depended on Allah (SWT). Besides, the scholars said that the one who lives with ill-gotten money does not trust that Allah (SWT) will provide him with sustenance. Likewise is the woman who cries during agony of death worrying about her children; she does not trust that Allah (SWT) will take care of them. Moreover, the righteous man who sticks to his principles but spends his nights fearing the mischief of people does not trust that Allah (SWT) will protect him.

The story truly focuses on the following notion, which is evident in the ayah that can be translated as, “…so (devise) plotting against me, altogether; thereafter do not respite me. Surely I have put my trust in Allah” (TMQ, 11:55-56). Tawakul means to put your complete and absolute trust in Allah (SWT) and to accept whatever He destines for you. For example, when you go to a registration department to give someone full power of attorney, you are trusting him entirely. How, then, could you trust a human being to that extent and never trust Allah (SWT)? The Ultimate Trustee is one of His names because He will never let you down. Thus, you have to put your complete trust in Allah (SWT) knowing that whatever He wills is for your own good.

An excellent example of complete trust in Allah (SWT) is what is narrated by Jabir Ibn-Abdullah. He said he fought in a battle along with Allah's Messenger and when the latter (SAWS) returned, he too returned along with him. The time of the afternoon nap overtook them when they were in a valley full of thorny trees. Allah's Messenger (SAWS) dismounted and the people dispersed amongst the thorny trees, seeking the shade of the trees. Allah's Messenger (SAWS) took shelter under a Samura tree and hung his sword on it. Jabir Ibn-Abdullah said “We slept for a while when Allah's Messenger (SAWS) suddenly called us, and we went to him, to find a Bedouin sitting with him. Allah's Messenger (SAWS) said, “This (Bedouin) took my sword out of its sheath while I was asleep. When I woke up, the naked sword was in his hand and he said to me, ‘Who can save you from me?’ I replied, ‘Allah!’ So he sheathed it (i.e. the sword) and sat down, and here he is.” (Authentic Hadith narrated by Al-Bukhari).

What would you do if you were threatened in that way? Would you beg and cry, or would you stand firm trusting that Allah (SWT) will protect you?

In another example, a man was imprisoned during Al-Mu’tasem’s reign and the prisoner had complete faith and trust in Allah (SWT). Al-Mu’tasem was angry at this prisoner, and so he ordered, in writing, that he be crucified. Nevertheless, the head of the force released the man. When Al-Mu’tasem heard about that he was infuriated and yelled that the decree was “To be crucified” only to find out that what he actually wrote was “To be released”. He was enraged and wrote, himself, “To be crucified”. When the head of the force read the paper he once again released the man from prison, and when Al-Mu’tasem got fuming he showed him that what was on the paper was “To be released”. At that point, Al-Mu’tasem was beside himself with anger and wrote “By Allah, the man is to be crucified!” However, the head of the force released the man for the third time and actually showed the paper to Al-Mu’tasem with his own handwriting having “By Allah, the man is to be released!” written on it. At that point Al-Mu’tasem said “Of course he is to be released, Allah has decreed his release and in that case I cannot crucify him!”

Hud (AS) had complete trust in Allah (SWT) and said, what can be translated as, “…so (devise) plotting against me, altogether; thereafter do not respite me. Surely I have put my trust in Allah, (literally: I entrust “my self” to Allah) my Lord and your Lord; in no way is there any beast whatever except that He is taking it by the forelock. Surely my Lord is on a straight Path.” (TMQ, 11:55-56). The word forelock refers to the hair growing and falling on the forehead. Being an honorable part in the human body, a humiliating punishment would sometimes be to drag a person, from his forelock, on the ground. Allah (SWT) says what can be translated as, “A lying, sinful forelock” (TMQ, 96:16), and, “The criminals will be recognized by their marks, and (they) will be taken (away) by (their) forelocks and (their) feet.” (TMQ, 55:40). Consequently, since Allah (SWT) is the Sovereign who owns our forelocks, we have to truly rely and trust Him. Moreover, Hud (AS) said, “Surely my Lord is on a straight Path” (TMQ, 11:56). Thus, Allah’s (SWT) deeds are absolutely right and go beyond any errors of any shape or form.

As for the annihilation of the people of Aad, Allah (SWT) says what can be translated as, “So, as for Aad, they waxed proud in the earth untruthfully (literally: with other than truth) and said, “Who is more valiant than us in power?” And did they not see that Allah, Who created them, Ever He, is more valiant than them in power?” (TMQ, 41:15). Do not behave arrogantly because of might and wealth. Where are the great nations that ruled the world and were arrogant because of the power they possessed? Where are the Pharaohs, the Nazis, etc? It is sad that some nations still sustain their faith in their superiority until this very day, when they should learn from the story of the people of Aad. Thus, the annihilation does not only relate to the people of Aad, which can be understood from what Allah (SWT) says in what can be translated as, “and in no way is it far from the unjust (ones)” (TMQ, 11:83).

The annihilation took place on two phases. The first was the cry; “So the Shout took them (away) with the truth, then We made them (as) stubble; so far away (are gone) the unjust people!” (TMQ, 23:41). They deserved such punishment and the cry put a halt to the life around them, but they were still alive. When the rivers around them dried up and the land became barren, the second phase of annihilation took place: the dark cloud. When they saw it they said, “…This traversing cloud will be (giving) us rain!” (TMQ, 46:24). They thought it would rain, but Allah (SWT) says what can be translated as, “...No indeed, (but) it is what you sought to hasten, a wind wherein is a painful torment, Destroying everything by the Command of its Lord” (TMQ, 46:24-25).

The annihilation was twofold because Aad deserved to be tortured before death. Allah (SWT) describes this annihilation in another ayah which can be translated as, “And as for Aad, they were then made to perish by a wind most clamorous (and) furious (literally: rebellious).

He subjected it against them seven nights and eight days in gruesome succession” (TMQ, 69:6-7). The furious wind was bitterly cold, and it was too intense it cut off heads. Allah (SWT) also says, what can be translated as, “seven nights and eight days in gruesome succession, so that you might have seen the people laid overthrown in it as if they were the hollow stumps of devastated palm- trees. So do you see any remnant of them?” (TMQ, 69:7-8). The wind lifted them up, and then threw them on the ground headless, just like uprooted palm trees.

Moreover, Allah (SWT) says, what can be translated as, “And (also there is a sign) in Aad as We sent against them the sterile wind. In no way did it come upon anything except that it left it out (and) made it as a rotten (stuff)” (TMQ, 51:41-42). The green land was turned into a desert and remained so. Modern science, however, proved through satellites that the Empty Quarter historically witnessed the existence of a nation that used to build castles using huge columns. The satellites also show that rivers existed there!

In another ayah, Allah (SWT ) says, what can be translated as, “And indeed, We have left this as a sign. Then is there any that will remember (or receive admonition)?” TMQ (54:15). Modern science and satellite pictures showed huge pillars and remains of river canals buried under the ground in that area, which proves the scientific miracles of the Qur’an. This is very clear in Qur’an in an ayah that can be translated as, “And indeed We have already left it for a sign. Is there then any that will recollect?” (TMQ, 54:15).

Accordingly, you have to fear Allah’s (SWT) punishment, the consequence of your sins. Some people insist, fearlessly, on committing sins for several years. Nevertheless, I fear that the tragic ending of Aad may take place again. However, the nation will not be annihilated, since Allah (SWT) has promised the Prophet (SAWS) that He will never annihilate our nation. What I fear is that a sinful person might die sinning as a result of Allah’s anger, and would thus be resurrected, on the Day of Judgment, committing that sin. Even the Prophet (SAWS) feared that this same fate would befall his people if they sin. 'Aisha once said that “if the Prophet saw a cloud in the sky, he would walk to and fro in agitation, go out and come in, and the color of his face would change; and if it rained, he would relax”. Therefore, 'Aisha knew that state of his. The Prophet said, “I don't know (am afraid), it may be similar to what happened to some people referred to in the Noble Qur’an, in the ayah which can be translated as, “Then, when they saw it as a traversing (cloud) proceeding towards their valleys, they said, “This traversing cloud will be (giving) us rain!” No indeed, (but) it is what you sought to hasten, a wind wherein is a painful torment” (TMQ, 46:24)” (Authentic Hadith narrated by Al-Bukhari).

On the other hand, Hud (AS) was rescued with the believers. Allah (SWT) says what can be translated as, “So We delivered him, and the ones with him, by a mercy from Us” (TMQ, 7:72). Though no one knows about how they were rescued, the fact that Hud (AS) trusted Allah (SWT) granted him this rescue.

Thus, one more round of conflict between good and evil ended; yet many still remain since such a struggle is to go on until the Day of Judgment. Hence, be a follower of good and fight evil in order to be rescued by Allah’s (SWT) mercy. Abul-Darda’ (RA) said, reminding us of the story of Hud (AS), “Previous nations were to pile riches, to build fortresses, and to dream of excess. The money became worthless, the fortresses carcasses, and the dreams valueless. Who would buy for a nickel such an inheritance?”

Fear Allah’s (SWT) anger as He says what can be translated as, “Surely your Lord’s assault is strict indeed. Surely He, Ever He, starts and He brings (you) back” (TMQ, 85:12-13), and

“Then your Lord poured on them the scourge of torment? Surely your Lord is indeed Ever-Observing.” (TMQ, 89:13-14).

Indeed, a lot can be learnt from this story. Put you absolute trust in Allah (SWT), proceed with the da’wa gently, and ask Allah (SWT) for His forgiveness. I ask Allah (SWT) to forgive you and me.

[1] TMQ=Translation of the Meaning of the Qur'an. This translation is for the realized meaning, so far, of the stated (Surah:Ayah) of the Qur'an. Reading the translated meaning of the Qur'an can never replace reading it in Arabic, the language in which it was revealed.

[2] Sala-llahu Alayhi Wa-Sallam = All Prayers and Blessings of Allah be upon him

AmrKhaled(contact admin if its a beneficial link) © ÌãíÚ ÍÞæÞ ÇáäÔÑ ãÍÝæÙÉ

This Article may be published and duplicated freely for private purposes, as long as the original source is mentioned. For all other purposes you need to obtain the prior written approval of the website administration. For info: dar_altarjama[at]amrkhaled(contact admin if its a beneficial link)

PropellerAds