Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JannahJ

Somali sisters, help me out :)

:D wa rahmatuAllah wa barakatuh

Yesterday I went to a wedding party and one of foods served there was this very yummy bread. It tasted like sourdough, and it kinda felt... almost damp, but not wet. One side was smooth and soft and the other side has lots of holes in it and more sponge-like. I really like this bread and I've had it at other somali weddings before, and want to try making it. Does anyone know what this bread is called and what the recepie is for it? Jazakallahu khairan! :D

PropellerAds

:D

**Drools !!!** .... mashallah sis ... you make it sound so tempting ... my mouth is already watering ... you should start your your OWN infomercial ....

... back again to what i do best :D ......

** Drooolssss *** ..... hmmmmmmmmm .... Somali bread !!!!

lol!

Do you mean: lahooh, or canjeera? Different names same thing. :grin:

It's flat innit?

hm...I don't have a recipe, I just make it from my memory, flour, a little salt, yeast and water, make the batter like a pancake batter. Make it just as smooth I mean. And you should have a good, good, pan it has to be dry, no butter, oil etc. Warm it up and pour some of the batter into the pan, make it spread a little, like so that you can have the small holes. :grin: and put a lid on it, then in a few seconds it's done. It's rather difficult to make the first times...think it took me years to learn....haha, but I wasn't making it everyday or anything, just sometimes to help my mom.

not much help but that's all I can do for now.... :shuriken:

salaam

Edited by sis Qassab

Salaam...........

Am sorry but that recipe is only for somalis...........

Salaam

P.S: I cannot even begin to describe the recipe but it is yummy

You can't live without the help of sister resend. Really so helpful. :grin: salaam

:P

YES!!! Canjeera, that's what it's called. :D sis

So you don't let the yeast rise at all or anything? Just let it do its thing while cooking? :P I think I'll try making it, :D. But I'm never good with somali food, too much guessing at first, lol.

I wish you the Best of luck ....and sis ... FEEED meeeeeee ... (T_T) ... Send by Mail or something ... dont care if it rotts but you made it sound so tempting ... sniff sniff (T_T) ... i wanna i wanna i wanaa ..**stomping ground** .... (0_o) ... eh ... i guess you are getting annoyed rite now .. so i betta leave :D

You can't live without the help of sister resend. Really so helpful. :grin:  salaam

Salaam Ok Drop the sarcasm........it dont suit somalis :tongue:

Its true though, honestly how are you soupposed to describe how to make lahoo its impossible, you have to see it to belive it......sis you can come to my house if you like and burn the kitchen down i'll find out when my mum is going on holiday inshallah :grin:

:D for the offer sis, but I'm guessing you live in UK. :D and I live in Amreeka. And none of my somali friends know how to make canjeera either. ahh well I'll burn the kitchen down in my own house, I swear I'll get it eventually. That's prolly how the first loaf was made anyway. :P Sis :P

I wish you the Best of luck ....and sis ... FEEED meeeeeee ... (T_T) ... Send  by Mail or something ... dont care if it rotts but you made it sound so tempting ... sniff sniff (T_T) ... i wanna i wanna i wanaa ..**stomping ground** .... (0_o) ... eh ... i guess you are getting annoyed rite now .. so i betta leave :D

:D :P :P I'll let you eat the burnt ones...

j/k :D

my mum always makes it and when i went to somalia thats all they ate morning lahoor afternoon lahoor and at night lahooor i went crazy (w00t)

i really mised my burgers and chips :D

have any of you tried chapati its not the kind asian people eat with dhal like roti and dhal its different :P

and lovely it has a taste that make u ask for more and more and more and more and more. ( i think you get it by now) its just Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

m

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D :P

Edited by lailaha_ilalla

YES WALLAHI I LOVE CHAPATI SOO MUCH!!! :D :D wallahi I have been craving it ever since I had chapati at restaurant marwa in seattle. Their sauce is sooo good. I can't wait until eid and I'm gonna make my friends take me there so we can eat chapati, inshAllah :P I could eat 3 of those I bet.

Assalamu Alykum

Canjeero...lol yes thats more of a breakfast food...hmm i remember in somalia i was served the best sort...with Moos and onions and meat and vegetables and....lol the list goes on, but alhamdulilah it tasted :D

Us somalis and out food!! we certainly do love food!! As topics gets going at the mention of food :D :P.

Onto how to make Canjeero. Well there are 2 kinds..one is called canjeero and the evening canjeero is called malawax..i bet you gus dont know that.

Morning Canjeero:

Get the flour mix with water, sugar..Make a dough. Not a thick one and not very liquid. It has be somewhere in the middle, where you can easily pour it from a small cup. Get tefal pans. fill the tiny cup with mixture, pour it on the pans, and use the small cup, spreading the dough on the pan. It has to be psreaded thinly. Cover the pan as the steam will cook the top part of the canjeero. When some parts of the canjeers is reddish brown, you get a knife (some experts use their fingers :P), and unstick the cajeero..viola!!

YOu all Like CHapati (o_0 ) ... i am actually sick and tired of it !!! ... Every morning ... every afternoon ... every night ... !!! ... hmm ... i think i really should be thankful for the stuff i put into my mouth ..>!!!...

And back to what i do best !!!

Canjeerooo ... Hmmmmmmmmm... **Droooolssss**!!!!!!

YOu all Like CHapati (o_0 ) ... i am actually sick and tired of it !!! ... Every morning ... every afternoon ... every night ... !!! ... hmm ... i think i really should be thankful for the stuff i put into my mouth ..>!!!...

And back to what i do best !!!

YOu all Like CHapati (o_0 ) ... i am actually sick and tired of it !!!

i dont think we are talking about the same kind of chapati :D

ur funnnnny (w00t) (w00t) (w00t)

I'll trade you foods genetic... I get your chapati and you can have my boring white rice and white potatoes and bread and chicken... :D

Well I tried to make morning canjeera just now. It wasn't too bad for a first try, but good thing I just made a small batch :D I'm wondering what I did wrong, I know I needed more sugar. But the cooked canjeera had a rubbery texture to it, except for the sides that were brown. It's edible but not as enjoyable as it is at my friends' houses :P Alhamdulillah at least I'm learning to cook in time for college and marriage :D though

Did I forget to tell you the yeast has to RISE? It's done rising when you see those nice little holes in the batch :P

sorry sis resend, sarcasm is what I do best :D

Ya, somali food is all about guessing that's why everybody cooks different kind of sauces and other kind of foods even though they have the same name.

Canjera is hard to make, like I said, it took me ages b4 I got good at making it. :grin:

wsalaam :D

Did I forget to tell you the yeast has to RISE? It's done rising when you see those nice little holes in the batch :D

sorry sis resend, sarcasm is what I do best :D

Ya, somali food is all about guessing that's why everybody cooks different kind of sauces and  other kind of foods even though they have the same name.

Canjera is hard to make, like I said, it took me ages b4 I got good at making it. :grin:

wsalaam :D

Ooooh no wonder :P yeah I think I forgot to let the yeast rise. :D sis... inshAllah someday I'll get it. :D

Edited by JannahJ