Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jawharah

Habshi Halwa

:D

Does anyone here have a recipe for habshi halwa?

Its a indian/pakistani mitai, kinda toffy-ish, brown, sometimes called a sticky pudding... Anyways, point is, it tastes really good. :P If you don't know what it is, here's a pic so I don't confuse you any further..

amb_sw1100_l.jpg

Anyways...if you have a recipe, pwease share it.. Jazakallah khair. :P

PropellerAds

Is this what your looking for? :D

Ingredients

12 eggs

1cup sugar

seeds of 4-5 small illaichi

1 cup ghee (not oil)

dry fruits (pistachio,almond,raisins)

Instructions

1)Mix all into a pot and cook over a low flame stirring

2)constantly till the mixture is light brown and dry.

3)Put onto a plate and flatten into a 1" layer.

4)After it cools down cut into small peices.

Wow, yummy, that does look excellent. I'll trust you on the taste then? :D

:P

asalamu alaikum

hey, UK'ers! just pop into your local Ambala for the best of quality in that stuff! or buy online [at] "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.ambalafoods(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/products/product.php?id=amb_sw1100&type=sweet"]AmbalaFoods(contact admin if its a beneficial link)[/url]

I'll trust you on the taste then?

she can be deceptive, trust me... its absolutely delicious... heavenly... luscious... mouthwatering... scrumptious... succulent... sweetened... tantalizing... tasty... tempting... toothsome... i mean yummy!

:D :D

LOL bro D-ZiNeR. :D He's right, the stuff does taste awesome [well more than just awesome: P]. :P Trust me, after eating it, you'll wonder IF'ers go crazy over ladoo's when theres better stuff. :P

Anyways, thanks for the recipe bro Teakster! :D If it turns out right I'll send ya'll some.

she can be deceptive, trust me... its absolutely delicious... heavenly... luscious... mouthwatering... scrumptious... succulent... sweetened... tantalizing... tasty... tempting... toothsome... i mean yummy!

Ok sis send some my way then :P

I'll ask my auntie. She might know. They have the best habshi (sohan) halwa..

Edited by ummammaar

asalamu alaikum

(sohan) halwa in Multan

:D dont even bother tasting that thing...! sohan is different from habshi im sure...!

hey "dude" if ya gona send some that way, send some this way too...

Umm as far as I know some people call it sohan, others call it habshi.

Edited by ummammaar

asalamu alaikum

sister i shall teach and show you the difference today... :D

this is Sohan Halwa a.k.a "molar breaker" :D

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.ambalafoods(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/products/product.php?id=amb_sw1400&type=sweet"]Sohan Halwa[/url]

and this is Habsi Halwa

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.ambalafoods(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/products/product.php?id=amb_sw1100&type=sweet"]Habsi Halwa[/url]

see the difference...?

I know why you said what you said now, BUT like I said the habshi halwa some people also call that sohan halwa.

Edited by ummammaar

asalamu alaikum

have we made the halwa yet...? im waiting for my share...

sister, its like some people call Lilt... Coke even thought it clearly aint...! even now my dad calls every soft drink "Coke"... honestly...

Cool..sis ummammaar, if the thing you're talkin abut is the real habshi halwa, tis kewl, I'll be waitin for it. :D

In the mean time, I'll try out the one bro Teakster gave. I know, I know, don't ask me why I haven't gotten to it yet. But life is busy for me right now. InshaAllah I'm gonna convince my mother to do it on Monday or somethin. I gotta do somethin for her in return right now... LOL. :P

Habshi Halwa is the only Indian sweet that's scrummy especially if its loaded with the different nuts :D :D for the reciepe brother Teakster, i'm going to try get my mother to make it at home :P

and thanks D-ZiNeR, i just realised now that you can order online from Ambala :P

Looks and sounds delicious. But, it's high in fat. :D Looks like Yemeni hilwa called Hareesa. I'll try it someday, and please do tell us how it comes out, sister mm.

Also, what is illaichi?

Oops, sorry for not replyin sooner sis.

I showed it to my mom and she had said the same thing, she thought its made with milk curd, and she never knew it had eggs. :D

I'll search around.. When we do make it soon, I'll let ya know. :D

Sis Mm? have you tried this receipe given by Bro Teakster?

im reluctant to try it...if you have then let me know how it turned out please.

Salaam,

Hey keep me out of this ....... I dunno if thats even the recipe that she wants?! :D

wasalaam

Assalamu'Alaykum

yea me and my pakistini friend were talking about indian/pakistaini sweets and we came across this one... at first i was wondering about the name and i asked her is it called "HABISHI" because its brown? and she said yes... as u all no and if u dont u will now come to know. Habshi in arabic means "Abbassian" also known as ethiopia.... anyway i thought that was reallu cool. B)

Yup, its dark brown. :D And that is cool. B)

Anyway...a friend of my mom's said she found a recipe for it...and she's gonna give to my mom. The question is...when is she gonna give it? :D Shoot...I'm just gonna go the mitai store and buy it now. :D

Naw, I'll still keep you'll updated if there's any good fortune. :D

yummy yummy yummy ... i'm having some right now ... and thought i wud come on this thread to look at the ingredients and pic :D

I tried the Habshi Halwa recipe this past weekend, but it flopped. I think either there need to be another ingredient or something has to replace the eggs - it was like scrambled eggs with nuts!!!!

Does anyone have another recipe for Habshi Halwa?

:D Brothers and sisters'

Just thought I should point out that according to the Ambala website the Habshi Halwa contains these ingredients too;

Habshi Halwa blends together a vast number of ingredients, each more tempting than the last, to create a sticky pudding that's bursting with taste sensations. Milk, sprouted wheat, sugar, butter ghee, cashew nuts, almonds, pistachio nuts and cardamom – each used in finely balanced proportions – all go into our Habshi Halwa.

:D I did think that there should be flour somewhere in the recipe that was given by the bro on the first page!!! :D

Will keep an eye out for the recipe though, Insha'Allah.

Eliza

:D Again

Found this which could be of some use??? :D

Wheat Halwa

Samba wheat - 3 cup, Ghee - 4 cups, Cardamom - 4, Sugar - 3 times of the milk extracted from the wheat, Cashew nuts - 20, Saffron - few strands

Extracting milk from wheat: Soak wheat for 2 nights. Grind in grinder adding water occasionally. Place a piece of cloth inside a sieve and pour the gound wheat on it and collected the filetred milk in a vessel. You may grind the same wheat again once or twice until the entire milk is extracted.Leave the extracted milk for one hour. The thick milk will settle down and water liquid will stay on top. Remove the dilute portion by pouring it out. Measure the quantity of this milk. The amount of sugar should be three times that of this milk.

Make sugar syrup by heating sugar and water in the ratio 1:1 until it becomes a think liquid. Pour the milk in the syrup and keep stirring. Boil 3 cups of water separately. When the mix becomes quite thick, add water in steps of 1 cup every time the mix becomes thick until the halwa is well cooked. Add ghee, saffron and keep stirring.When the ghee begins to separate, add cardamom powder and remove from flame. Pour this in a large plate. Roast a few cashewnuts in ghee and decorate.

Sounds similar. :D

From indiatastes(contact admin if its a beneficial link)

Eliza