Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ur_muslim_sista

Journalism

As salaamu alaikum

Journalism?

What do you think of it?

I've got a lot to say, but is that just my own personal curiosity and frame of mind or could i actually insha'Allah make a difference??!!

would it be better to have a degree or just go straight out and do something quick?

I would appreciate any comments/suggestions etc!

PropellerAds

Assalamu Alaikum

though i've still got another full year left at school (not including my current one) i would also like to know!I've always loved writing and taking an interest in current affairs - Alhamdullilah it's one of my strengths :D .I want to go into print journalism one day, insha'Allah. :P

anyone...

:D

Wa-alaikum salam

Edited by strider

You have to be good in writing.

What journalism are you looking into? Photojournalism? PR (Public Relations)? I have looked into, but giving it a break (for now, any way.) I am not sure how it works in the UK, but here in Southern California, you get a certificate in journalism after you take a series of courses at school (college.)

Salaam,

Why not go for some work experience? Like in the summer. How about places like Muslim News? Or you could find out if anybody produces newsletters in school/college/uni or otherwise in the community and get involved to get a little taster of it.

Hold on, just found this: "Look out for opportunities to get work experience in journalism (this might require some initiative organising your own work experience during the school's work experience week if the school doesn't have suitable links with local publishers). Experience counts for more than education in journalism usually when there's competition for a job. Applicants often have the same qualifications but will have done different things with their spare time to show a commitment to the job. That's what makes the difference."

From "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.journalismcareers(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/journalism_faq/schooloptions.shtml"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.journalismcareers(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/journalis...oloptions.shtml[/url]

Wassalaam.

As salaamu alaikum

Journalism?

What do you think of it?

I've got a lot to say, but is that just my own personal curiosity and frame of mind or could i actually insha'Allah make a difference??!!

would it be better to have a degree or just go straight out and do something quick?

I would appreciate any comments/suggestions etc!

I think its GREAT sis! Inshallah I will be studying Journalism next year at university- make dua that i write some blinding stuff which will get me in.

Anyways ur in london, well so am i sis and i tell you we got some fab opputinies here in london. Its the home of Fleet Street! Its were most papers,broadcasters and so on are based.

From what u've said i think print journalism would proabably suit you best. I definatly think you should do a degree. There are alot of good unis which would help you develop as a writer-if that what u want to become. Its not easy to just walk into journalism. yes plenty of exepreince will help you along the way but i think its worth going to universty to understand it, not just know about writing but also what journalism is about and so on.

Its an area in which many muslim are lacking in unfortantly and to be honest we need more people going into the field.

What school year are you in right now? Are you in 1st year 6th form or 2nd year?

i definatly think that if you want to do it, then go for it. yes you will be tested on your writing abilities. i know that all of the universites i have applied to (most will test you on ur writing if not all) will be looking for evidence of what i can do which means i have to start writing more stuff.

anyways inshallah i hope u make the right descions in what u want to do. Its not the easiets path but then again, when is anything easy :D sometimes u just have to work at it and inshalalh you'll make it. I cant say that i will make it, only Allah knows if i will but inshallah i will try my best and hope that Allah s.w.t will give me the guidience that i need. and you too inshallah.

did you see on the news that they are getting rid of a lot of brodcasters on the bbc so many people are losing their jobs i wanted to be in broadcast journilism but after i heard that and my connections adviser told me it is a very hard place to get into

As salaamu alaikum

Jazakullah hair for all the replies!

Yes, print journalism is what i am leaning towards.

I e-mailed the Muslim Weekly, a couple of months ago but got no reply!!!

Its a big change of career plan for me really, until now i had wanted to be a teacher, so naturally all my previous voluntary work and Work Experience was related to schools!! BUT my parents put me off!!!

ANYWAY! a special thanks to you Sister summer_girl, i'm in lower 6th at the moment! i definitely need the experience, i almost began a Muslim magazine in my local area, aided by my local imam until well he got busy with other commitments and it took up time i didn’t have!!

Insha'Allah you will get into the university of your choice sister! May you be successful by the will of Allah, Ameen!

Wa alaikum asalaam!

asalamu alaikum

i can relate to this :P

in the long run it doesnt really matter... you see if you come out and do wicked stuff right away, you wil eventually get reconized and be seen...

or if you decide to go onto Uni an study it first... you will need to get your self reconized first before you can do anything...

i dont know if that made sense, but with Graphic Design its the same i think... we can either choose to get out of Art & Design School (where i am now) and become freelance designers, get reconised and build a client network which over time will spread - keeping you in work all the time...

or go on to Uni, educate yaself more in the trade, the when you come out you will still need to do some freelancing before you are accepted in any studio...

i think with these type of careers being reconized is most important...

- i think i didnt quite make sense there :D ignore the stupidity please

Yes, print journalism is what i am leaning towards.

i almost began a Muslim magazine in my local area

if ya ever need any designs for this magazine... for free... i can help... this can then get into my portfolio and you will be my first client... :D

Insha'Allah you will get into the university of your choice sister! May you be successful by the will of Allah, Ameen!

Ameen! me aswel insha Allah...

ANYWAY! a special thanks to you Sister summer_girl, i'm in lower 6th at the moment! i definitely need the experience, i almost began a Muslim magazine in my local area, aided by my local imam until well he got busy with other commitments and it took up time i didn’t have!!

yes ur right about needing exepreice sis. its a good thing your in lower 6th form now cos you can start building up for a portfolio. the problem with me was that i was always hanging on the thread, swinginig between journalism and televion&film, and what has happened it that i have tons of exepreince in television&film but little in journalism and i only changed my personal statement 2 weeks ago to do journalism, for the months before that i was reading to do broadcasting television and film. now im scrambling to find exepreince so you would be in a much better postion if you got something between now and the coming september and yes it may mean taking time out from your summer holidays.

anyways sis, why not start up that muslims magazine? why do you need the imam? Take up your own initiative. I mean you got bro D-Ziner offering to do the graphics side and i would be more than willing to help in any writing and so on, and well seeing as im a londoner as well, it wouldnt be a problem. Its things like these that universities/and other employers reconise. If you cant find work, make work! thats what im doing. im starting up inshallah a newsletter for the media dept in my college with my classmates, why cos we needed experince and work to show to universities/employers.

so how about it sis? you've already got two volunteers!

Edited by summer_girl

As salaamu alaikum!

Brother D-Ziner-

What you said made a LOT of sense, good sound advice!!

Sister Summer_girl-

Jazakullah khair, motivation is just what you need to get going!

Initially the Imam was going to pay for the printing costs of the magazine!! We were going to have it published and printed to make it look ike a proper maazine!

Insha'Allah i can get working on it asap!!

Wa alaikum asalaam!

Initially the Imam was going to pay for the printing costs of the magazine!! We were going to have it published and printed to make it look ike a proper maazine!

Insha'Allah i can get working on it asap!!

well that would be great. if he cant now more, there should be loads of other muslim people/buissness willing to sponser.

I wrote an article for the Muslim Weekly, 2nd or 3rd issue about hijab!

Just write something and send it in. If they publish it, they publish it. Trust me they need content, and they won;t refuse something if it's decent.

I wrote an article for the Muslim Weekly, 2nd or 3rd issue about hijab!

Just write something and send it in.  If they publish it, they publish it.  Trust me they need content, and they won;t refuse something if it's decent.

:P

Is it? Better get writing then. Would love to have my work published!

What u just send it to the editor and if they like it, they'll put it in?

Yes.

Also good to start a blog to keep your writing skills up.

I believe it used to be another newspaper before Muslim Weekly.

Peace.

You should go to school for journalism if you can. It'll help. Aside from what they can teach you, the school will probably help you find an internship job at a newspaper or somesuch.

And start doing it right now. When I was a teenager we used to make zines, little photocopied home-made magazines. Lots of people did this in the '80s and early '90s. Some of them ended up popular enough that paying to have a run of them printed on newspaper stock was worth it. Anyway, it was fun. There was a record store that would buy three or four copies from you for a few cents a peice and sell them. Or you could get 'Factsheet Five' which was a zine all about zines, full of addresses and reviews of zines, and mail your zine to another person who made one, and he'd mail a copy of his back to you. This is probably still going on, though maybe all zines have become blogs.

Be warned, do not expect to enter the mainstream press with independent ideas. The Mainstream Press is comprised of the 'Intellectual Elite' so to speak, people with the 'right views'. It's not a case of a Government Kommisars telling you what to write, it's a case of if you are already in the position (of the mainstream press) you already know what to write. They may keep you on as a Maverick just for the fun of it or something like that but The Intellectual Elite in America display extraordinary servility to power and ideology, it doesn't help as well that 99% of the Media is owned by Corporate interests, meaning Corporate Interests must be protected and thus independence of thought outside of the spectrum means certain expulsion from this circle.

Edited by Greek-Cypriot

Salaam,

This event might be of interest, as they'll discuss journalism:

City Circle in conjunction with JPMorgan Chase present:

CAREERS GUIDANCE EVENT

Date: Saturday 29th January 2005

Time: 2pm - 6pm

Venue: MCHC, 244 Acklam Road, North Kensington, London, W10 5YG

If you have children, relatives, friends or neighbours who are 14

and over and have not yet decided what they would like to study at

GCSE, 'A' Level or degree, then ask them to come along to this

afternoon event to discuss their ambitions and aspirations with

professionals in the know. There will be number of presenters each

speaking about what it is like to do their job, why they chose

their career and the route they took. Careers to be discussed

will include: Public Relations, Journalism, Law, Art and Design,

Medicine, Banking & Finance, and Accountancy. The event is free.

If you would like to help on the day by sharing your experiences,

especially if your career falls into one of the above areas, then

we would like to hear from you. Please contact Muneer Khan on

07771 784 818 or email khans[at]email(contact admin if its a beneficial link) as soon as possible.

For more details and/or to confirm your attendance please contact

Salma Yousef on 07843 526 192 or email salma[at]thecitycircle(contact admin if its a beneficial link)

Wassalaam.

Salaam,

This event might be of interest, as they'll discuss journalism:

City Circle in conjunction with JPMorgan Chase present:

CAREERS GUIDANCE EVENT

Date: Saturday 29th January 2005

Time: 2pm - 6pm

Venue: MCHC, 244 Acklam Road, North Kensington, London, W10 5YG

If you have children, relatives, friends or neighbours who are 14

and over and have not yet decided what they would like to study at

GCSE, 'A' Level or degree, then ask them to come along to this

afternoon event to discuss their ambitions and aspirations with

professionals in the know. There will be number of presenters each

speaking about what it is like to do their job, why they chose

their career and the route they took. Careers to be discussed

will include: Public Relations, Journalism, Law, Art and Design,

Medicine, Banking & Finance, and Accountancy. The event is free.

If you would like to help on the day by sharing your experiences,

especially if your career falls into one of the above areas, then

we would like to hear from you. Please contact Muneer Khan on

07771 784 818 or email khans[at]email(contact admin if its a beneficial link) as soon as possible.

For more details and/or to confirm your attendance please contact

Salma Yousef on 07843 526 192 or email salma[at]thecitycircle(contact admin if its a beneficial link)

Wassalaam.

As salaamu alaikum

Jazakullah khair for this!! :D

Insha'Allah i'll be able to go!

Wa alaikum asalaam