Islamic Forum
*~Samina~*

Question About Routers...

:j: all

i get my internet connection from a cable router thats connected to my sisters comp..so if she turns her comp off i lose my connection right? i was just wondering if theres a way to get round this somehow..it can be pretty inconvenient... :sl:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetargos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6750385.htm"]this is the router[/url]

:no: in advance

:sl:

Edited by *~Samina~*

PropellerAds

When I lived with my parents(a day ago lol)

I was sharing a router with my little bro and we found a way round it.

By getting wireless connection.

:j: that will solve the problem. :no:

Not too sure how else you could solve the issue.

Inshallah someone else may know another way round this if you can't get wireless connection.

Just my small input. :D

Edited by Aaqib Ahmed

:sl: sister

You shouldn't lose your connection. Please give more details on your setup. How does your sisters computer connect to the router? There should be 1 cable going from her modem to the router, and another from the router to her computer. And yours should make the third cable. If you take a look at the back of your router, and tell me how many RJ45 cables you have at the back that would help.

Does your sisters computer get the connection through the router?

Mehmet

Edited by Righteous

:j: all

i get my internet connection from a cable router thats connected to my sisters comp..so if she turns her comp off i lose my connection right? i was just wondering if theres a way to get round this somehow..it can be pretty inconvenient... :sl:

this is the router

:no: in advance

Walaykum salam,

It shouldn't matter if your sister's computer remains on or off...as long as the router+cable modem is plugged in, it should work for you. To the best of my knowledge...unless you're connecting via a cable connected to your sister's comp, from your comp? In which case, I'd advise to plug it direct to the router, or use wireless...

Hi

have any more details on how your connected to the internet? By the sound of it your connecting over a Lan ( local area network ) to her computer, and shes using ICS ( internet connection sharing ) to allow you access. Does she have two Nic's ( Network interface cards ) and your plugged into one or are you plugging straight into the router? if your plugging into the router just run the network wizard which comes with windows and choose the options the apply to you. ( connect through a gateway then add your routers local ip to your network properties page :sl:

Peace

:j:

um she connects through a modem and the router is just so i can connect to the net..thers one cable running from the back of the router to the modem and another to her comp.. i have a usb plugged into my comp so i can connect wireless'ly to the router.. (kinda confusing) :sl:

i would go and check but its kinda late..i appreciate everyones help btw

:sl: sister,

There should be 1 cable going from the modem to the router, and another going from the router to her computer. In total there should be 2 network cables plugged into the back of the router.

As long as the router is on, you should be able to get a connection through your wireless USB network adapter (your sisters computer doesn't need to be on).

If it doesn't allow you to connect to the router, then it has been set up wrong. The cable which your sister uses to connect the modem to her computer, is it a USB cable or a network cable?

Mehmet

Assalamu Alaykum sis Samina

We have the exact same Belkin router you have, and just like bro Mehmet said, you can receive the internet signal even though your sister's comp is off, so long as you have the router plugged in and switched on.

Follow the instructions by the members above as my comp knowledge is pretty limited :sl:

And here's some extra info:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetmicrosoft(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/russel_hni.mspx"]router info[/url]

Salaams

Did you manage to solve the problem, sis? :sl:

Insha'Allaah...

if her computer is off then i still get a connection..but if she turns the router off from the back then my connection goes..so aslong as the router is plugged in i can get the net... :sl:

Sister, your last post contradicts all that you mentioned before, which caused others to try and help you, based on wrong the explanation that you gave them. Please appreciate members' time and do post the correct info from the start.