Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Muslimah900

Are photos haraam?

Our Beloved Prophet Muhammad sallallahu alaihe wasallam said,

"Every picture maker will be in fire."

"The severest punished on the Day of Qiyaamah will be the picture makers."

"The severest punished persons on the Day of Qiyaamah will be those who imitated Allah’s aspects of creation."

"The Angels (of Mercy) do not enter a house wherein there are pictures or a dog."

It seems clear that making pictures and keeping pictures is haraam. does this also apply to photographs?

PropellerAds

asalamu alaikum

for studies and school work...? they are allowed right...

Salam Alaikum,

I want to let you guys know that there is a huge difference between the words taking and making. There is absolutely nothing wrong w/ taking pictures but there is a problem w/ making/drawing pictures.

:D

Some scholars say that it's haram to take them for fun, but mubah when it comes to necessity like passports and ID cards. A few have said that if we keep them in drawers or they are on our pc, it's okay. Allahu alam.

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=10668&dgn=4"]Taking pictures for memories[/url]

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=365&dgn=4"]Ruling on photographs [/url]

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=7918&dgn=4"]Hanging pictures of people in the house[/url]

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=10043&dgn=4"]School projects involving pictures [/url]

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&CR=453&dgn=4"]Questions about Images and Image-making[/url]

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_204.187.100.80/english/fat_archives/show_detail.cfm?q_id=40&main_cat_id=1"]The difference between hand-drawn pictures & photographs[/url]

Edited by ummammaar

Assalaamu Alaikum,

For the purpose of keeping this brief and because I understand that must of you know and accept that pictures (drawings, painting and statues are haram) I will just talk specifically about ‘photographs’.

All of the hadeeths that refer to images and the prohibition of such are equally applicable to photographs, and it is clear from the Islamic texts that pictures (be they sculptures, paintings or photographs) are haram. In fact, if you are aware of the origins of shirk you will know the huge part that the usage of images had to play in that. And as you already know, there is a principle in the sharee'ah that all things that lead to haram and also haram. In addition just take a look around you and see the widespread corruption that these images (photographs) have caused, for you cannot even stand at a bus stop these days without seeing a naked lady on a poster advertising a product.

Just some of the proofs that images are haram are as follows:

'Abdullah ibn Mas'ood (radiallaahu anhu) reported that the Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) said: "The people who will be most severely punished by Allaah on the Day of Resurrection are the picture-makers." (Saheeh al-Bukhari).

Abu Hurayrah (radiallaahu anhu) reported that the Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) said: "Allaah says: 'Who does more wrong than the one who tries to create something like My creation; let him create a grain of wheat or an ear of corn . . .'" (Saheeh al-Bukhari).

Ibn 'Abbas (radiallaahu anhu) said: "Every picture-maker will be in the Fire, and for each picture that he made he will be given a soul, and he will be punished in Hell" and "If you must make pictures, draw trees and things that do not possess a soul." (Saheeh Muslim).

'Aisha (radiallaahu anna) said: "I stuffed for the Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) a pillow decorated with pictures (of animals) which looked like a Namruqa (i.e. a small cushion). He came and stood among the people with excitement apparent on his face. I said, 'O Allah's Apostle! What is wrong?' He said, 'What is this pillow?' I said, 'I have prepared this pillow for you, so that you may recline on it.' He said, 'Don't you know that angels do not enter a house wherein there are pictures; and whoever makes a picture will be punished on the Day of Resurrection and will be asked to give life to (what he has created)?'" (Saheeh al-Bukhari).

Abu Hayyaj al-Asadi (radiallaahu anhu) said that Ali ibn Abu Talib (radiallaahu anhu) said to him: "Should I not send you on the same mission as Allah's Messenger (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) sent me? Do not leave an image (in another version of the hadeeth transmitted by Habib he states the word picture instead of image) without obliterating it or a high grave without levelling it." (Saheeh Muslim).

A strange phenomenon that exists amongst the general people is that they distinguish between pictures and photographs, and make photographs permissible claiming that it is just like looking at a reflection of oneself but I ask you, does a reflection make a permanent record of that image and/or does a reflection require a person to go through the process of producing (creating) it?

Even in the English langauage (and I am not saying we take our religion from what words mean in english because the English translation always falls short) the dictionary definition of the word photograph is: An image, especially a positive print, recorded by a camera and reproduced on a photosensitive surface. So here we see that the meaning of the word ‘photograph’ is that it is an image that is recorded and produced (created). And how many times have you heard people say “can I see your picture…� or the like of? If they really consider there is a difference between a picture and a photograph why don’t they highlight that difference in their speech? In reality there is no difference between the 2 regardless of what names you want to give them, for you can call wine grape juice but the reality behind the name is that it is still wine.

Sheikh al-Albaanee said: "Some of them differentiate between hand-drawn pictures and photographic images by claiming that the latter are not products of human effort, and that no more is involved than the mere capturing of the image. This is what they claim. The tremendous energy invested by the one who invented this machine that can do in few seconds what otherwise could not be done in hours does not count as human effort, according to these people! Pointing the camera, focusing it, and taking the picture, preceded by installation of the film and followed by developing and whatever else that I may not know about; none of this is the result of human effort, according to them!

Some of them explain how this photography is done, and summarize that no less than eleven different actions are involved in the making of a picture. In spite of all this, they say that this picture is not the result of human action! Can it be permissible to hang up a picture of a man, for example, if it is produced by photography, but not if it is drawn by hand? Those who say that photography is permitted have "frozen" the meaning of the word "tasweer", restricting it only to the meaning known at the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and not adding the meaning of photography, which is "tasweer" or "picture-making" in every sense - linguistic, legal, and in its harmful effects, and as is clear from the definition mentioned above.

Years ago, I said to one of them: By the same token, you could allow idols which have not been carved but have been made by pressing a button on some machine that turns out idols by the dozen. What do you say to that?" (From his book: "Aadaab al-Zafaaf").

The following are just 2 fataawa’s from the Permanent Committee for Islamic Research and Fataawa in Saudi Arabia related to the issue of photographs (and both have been taken from fatwa-online(contact admin if its a beneficial link)):

Taking photographs

Question: Is taking photographs with a camera haram or not?

Response: Yes. Taking photographs of (all) that which has a soul (from amongst the humans and animals) with a camera and other than it is haram. And it is upon the one who takes the photograph to repent to Allaah and seek His forgiveness and feel sad at that which has come to pass from his actions and not to return to it.

And with Allaah lies all success and may Allaah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) and his family and his companions.

The Permanent Committee for Islamic Research and Fataawa, comprising -

Head: Shaykh 'Abdul 'Azeez Ibn Abdullah Ibn Baaz;

Deputy Head: Shaykh 'Abdur-Razzaq 'Afeefee;

Member: Shaykh 'Abdullah Ibn Ghudayyaan;

Member: Shaykh 'Abdullah Ibn Qu'ood

Fataawa al-Lajnah ad-Daa.imah lil-Buhooth al-'Ilmiyyah wal-Iftaa., - Volume 1, Page 670, Question 8 of Fatwa No.3592.

Taking photographs out of necessity

Question: What is the ruling regarding photographic pictures (taken) out of necessity or (simply) for display?

Response: Photographing the living (both human and animals) is haram, unless there arises a (genuine) need, such as (for) citizenship (documents), passports and photographing criminals so as to alert (the people) in order to apprehend them if they carried out a crime and are on the run, and that which is similar to this in that which is necessary.

And with Allaah lies all success and may Allaah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) and his family and his companions.

The Permanent Committee for Islamic Research and Fataawa, comprising -

Deputy Head: Shaykh 'Abdur-Razzaq 'Afeefee;

Member: Shaykh 'Abdullah Ibn Ghudayyaan;

Member: Shaykh 'Abdullah Ibn Munay'

Fataawa al-Lajnah ad-Daa.imah lil-Buhooth al-'Ilmiyyah wal-Iftaa., - Volume 1, Page 660, Question 3 of Fatwa No.260.

Was-Salaamu Alaikum,

Abu Suhaylah.

The basic principle concerning making pictures of any animate being, whether it is a human or any animal, is that it is haraam, whether the pictures are three-dimensional or are drawn on paper, cloth or walls, etc., or are photographs (taken with a camera), because of the reports in the saheeh ahaadeeth which state that that is not allowed, and threaten the one who does that with a painful torment, and because they may lead to shirk in the form of standing respectfully before them, humbling oneself before them, drawing close to them and venerating them in a manner that is only befitting for Allaah. They are also forbidden because this is a kind of trying to match the creation of Allaah, and because of the temptation inherent in some of them, such as pictures of actresses and naked women, and so-called beauty queens.

Among the ahaadeeth which state that this is haraam and that it is a major sin is the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him), who said, “I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: ‘Whoever makes an image in this world will be told to breathe the soul into it on the Day of Resurrection, and he will never be able to do that.’� (Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). He [ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him)] also narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Every image-maker will be in the Fire, and every image that he made will be made to appear to him and will torment him in Hell.� Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “If you must do that, then make trees and things that have no soul.� (Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). The general meaning of the ahaadeeth is that it is absolutely forbidden to make images of anything that has a soul.

:sl;

I want to let you guys know that there is a huge difference between the words taking and making. There is absolutely nothing wrong w/ taking pictures but there is a problem w/ making/drawing pictures.

yes thats what i thought aswell :D

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=20325&dgn=4"]Ruling on keeping pictures and children’s toys[/url]

There are more questions on Images and Image making. Just check Islamqa.

taking photos

:P is haraam, but to take them for like passport photos is allowed.

rasulullah saw said that the angels of mercy will not enter the house in which there is pictures or dogs.

angels of mercy would not even come into the house which has likedolls and teddy, basically things with eyes on it

Assalamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatulahi Wa Barakatahu

Interesting topic, and it is funny how this topic is brought up, because I do have a major project which is due on Wednesday, and unfortunately, my plan was to draw pictures for my presentation. So...what do I do now... :-(

Interesting topic, and it is funny how this topic is brought up, because I do have a major project which is due on Wednesday, and unfortunately, my plan was to draw pictures for my presentation. So...what do I do now... :-(

Walaikum Salaam Wa Rahamatullahi Wa Barakatuh.

Just don't draw anything that contains a soul or pick an alternative.

Was-Salaamu Alaikum,

Abu Suhaylah.

hey you can draw pictures of landscapes and all that you know its just living creatures and humans you can draw/take pictures of!!

Assalaamu alaikum,

What about drawing part of something that is living? For example, drawings of the inside of the human body. It would be hard to learn by photos becuase of all the blood, and people might get sick if they see the real thing.

Assalaam alaikum

if u had children, they would perhaps be annoyed with u that u never took any baby photos.

is there anyone who's been in this situation (i.e. hasn't taken baby photos of their children)?

Assalaamu alaikum,

What about drawing part of something that is living?  For example, drawings of the inside of the human body.  It would be hard to learn by photos becuase of all the blood, and people might get sick if they see the real thing.

sister your not allowed to draw living things but you are allowed for educational purposes..in the same way watching tv is haraam but educational programs can be watched.

Assalaam alaikum

if u had children, they would perhaps be annoyed with u that u never took any baby photos.

is there anyone who's been in this situation (i.e. hasn't taken baby photos of their children)?

sis! if you teach your children that it is haraam and explain to them i am quite sure they would not get annoyed. remember the taleem and tarbiyyah of a child is very important, his childhood is what makes him what he becomes!

so is there any muslim out there in the west who hasn't or intends not to take any photos of their little kids?

yeh me insha Allah although am only in my teens but still....and even then it wouldnt be such a good impretion to show people when am becoming an aalimah! :P

Assalaam alaikum

Walaikum Salaam,

Better they are annoyed with you than Allah dont you think?

so is there any muslim out there in the west who hasn't or intends not to take any photos of their little kids?

I have not taken any photos of my daughter, nor do I intend too despite the pressure from both sides of my family to allow me to allow them to take some.

Muslimah4eva said,

sis! if you teach your children that it is haraam and explain to them i am quite sure they would not get annoyed. remember the taleem and tarbiyyah of a child is very important, his childhood is what makes him what he becomes!

What fine words these are.

Was-Salaamu Alaikum,

Abu Suhaylah.

Better they are annoyed with you than Allah dont you think?

I have not taken any photos of my daughter, nor do I intend too despite the pressure from both sides of my family to allow me to allow them to take some.

mashallah...that's brilliant!

was-salaam alaykum

Plants do not have souls? They are alive...And what about microorganisms? Isn't it impossible to have a picture that does not have those either? :D :D

And isn't the original point that we shouldn't take pictures of Allah's (subhanahu wa taala) creations? Allah (subhanahu wa taala) created everything, so you do the Maths. Doesn't this mean we can't take a picture of anything? Food for thought. Peace.

"The severest punished persons on the Day of Qiyaamah will be those who imitated Allah’s aspects of creation."

"The Angels (of Mercy) do not enter a house wherein there are pictures or a dog."

It seems clear that making pictures and keeping pictures is haraam.  does this also apply to photographs?

sister, i was wondering the same about photos. what if your intent is not to keep the photos only to remember, is that haram? i mean, its the same as remembering something from your childhood, for example.

It seems clear that making pictures and keeping pictures is haraam.  does this also apply to photographs?

sister, i was wondering the same about photos. what if your intent is not to keep the photos only to remember, is that haram? i mean, its the same as remembering something from your childhood, for example.

:P

yes it also includes photos....i have already mentioned the hadith above i think but if i have here it is anyway!

rasulullah :P has said that the angels of mercy will not enter the home in which there are pictures and dogs.