Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Muslimah900

Are photos haraam?

:D

sister, i was wondering the same about photos. what if your intent is not to keep the photos only to remember, is that haram? i mean, its the same as remembering something from your childhood, for example.

:P

what do you exactly mean by not keeping them but to remeber? :D it is haraam to take photos!

PropellerAds
And isn't the original point that we shouldn't take pictures of Allah's (subhanahu wa taala) creations? Allah (subhanahu wa taala) created everything, so you do the Maths. Doesn't this mean we can't take a picture of anything? Food for thought. Peace.

it is only the living creation that we are not allowed to take photos of.

asalam alaikum

Wasnt pictures forbidden because of the idol worshippers? i mean when you think about it in the context pictures forbidden because of idol worsippers, now that more or less hasnt been around. I take pictues of family and friends, its harmless, if it does not harm why is it not allowed? moreover why do people make judgements without considering the context?

asalam alaikum

Wasnt pictures forbidden because of the idol worshippers? i mean when you think about it in the context pictures forbidden because of idol worsippers, now that more or less hasnt been around. I take pictues of family and friends, its harmless, if it does not harm why is it not allowed? moreover why do people make judgements without considering the context?

whoa bro it aint harmless it is harmful its haraam i am not sure what the reason is but i will find out and post it. i do know that you are not allowed because oin the day of judgement Allah swt will ask you to make the picturte come to life but i do not know the real reason so i will insha Allah tell you soon!

Title of Fatwa Fatwa on Photography

Date of Fatwa

16/ September/ 2003

Date of Reply

16/ September/ 2003

Topic Of Fatwa

Photography

Question of Fatwa

Is photography allowed in Islam? Bearing in mind that it is not the same as painting or recreating a being, it's rather a capture of image through light and lens.

Name of Mufti Sheikh Ahmad Kutty

Content of Reply

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger

Dear brother in Islam, we would like to thank you for showing keenness on knowing the teachings of Islam, and we appreciate the great confidence you have in us. We hope our efforts meet your expectations, yet we apologize for the late reply.

With regard to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, answers:

"Photography as a medium of communication or for the simple, innocent retention of memories without the taint of reverence/shirk does not fall under the category of forbidden Tasweer.

One finds a number of traditions from the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, condemning people who make Tasweer, which denotes painting or carving images or statues. It was closely associated with paganism or shirk. People were in the habit of carving images and statues for the sake of worship. Islam, therefore, declared Tasweer forbidden because of its close association with shirk (association of partners with Allah). One of the stated principles of usul-u-Fiqh (Principles of Islamic Jurisprudence) is that if anything directly leads to haram, it is likewise haram. In other words, Tasweer was forbidden precisely for the reason that it was a means leading to shirk.

The function of photography today does not fall under the above category. Even some of the scholars who had been once vehemently opposed to photography under the pretext that it was a form of forbidden Tasweer have later changed their position on it - as they allow even for their own pictures to be taken and published in newspapers, for videotaping lectures and for presentations; whereas in the past, they would only allow it in exceptional cases such as passports, drivers’ licenses, etc. The change in their view of photography is based on their assessment of the role of photography.

Having said this, one must add a word of caution: To take pictures of leaders and heroes and hang them on the walls may not belong to the same category of permission. This may give rise to a feeling of reverence and hero worship, which was precisely the main thrust of the prohibition of Tasweer. Therefore, one cannot make an unqualified statement to the effect that all photography is halal. It all depends on the use and function of it. If it is for educational purpose and has not been tainted with the motive of reverence and hero worship, there is nothing in the sources to prohibit it."

Do keep in touch. If you have any other question, don't hesitate to contact us.

Allah Almighty knows best.

Title of Fatwa Drawing from an Islamic Perspective

Date of Fatwa

9/ October/ 2002

Date of Reply

9/ October/ 2002

Topic Of Fatwa

Halal and Haram

Question of Fatwa

Is it haram to draw portraits or beings? What is the Islamic view on drawing?

Name of Mufti Islam Online Fatwa Editing Desk

Content of Reply

In The Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, thank you very much for having confidence in us, and we hope our efforts, which are purely for Allah's Sake, meet your expectations.

We’d like first to state that there is nothing wrong in drawing as long as the images do not depict nudity or other indecent representations. Also, the picture or image should not be revered or glorified. The detested pictures and images are only those, which are worshiped and revered.

Within these restrictions drawing humans, animals, natural scenes, etc. is permitted. What is prohibited is making a statue or a sculpture of a living being that has shade (depth or three dimensional).

Here, we’d like to cite for you the following Fatwa:

"One may draw pictures of people, animals, etc. as long as they don’t depict anything against Islamic guidelines. It is important to understand that Muslims don't replicate 'images' because they believe that on the Day of Judgment, they will be asked to put a soul in the 'images' they made, challenging Allah’s creation. Also, they don't replicate 'images' believing that the Angels will not enter their houses. This is based on several authentic Hadiths of Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him.

However, in the Arabic Language, what we call Sourah or commonly translated as 'image' can mean several things, and in the context of the prohibition, it means a statute or a sculpture of a living being that has shade (depth or three dimensional) and not a photographic picture.

Therefore, while statutes are prohibited, pictures in magazines, televisions, newspapers, books, computers, drawings, etc. are allowed. Such pictures can however be prohibited if they depict nudity or other indecent representations. But even being allowed, they should be done when necessary and not to pass time."

The above Fatwa is excerpted with slight "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.ibplanet(contact admin if its a beneficial link)"]modifications[/url] from islamicity.com

The basic principle concerning making pictures of any animate being, whether it is a human or any animal, is that it is haraam, whether the pictures are three-dimensional or are drawn on paper, cloth or walls, etc., or are photographs (taken with a camera), because of the reports in the saheeh ahaadeeth which state that that is not allowed, and threaten the one who does that with a painful torment, and because they may lead to shirk in the form of standing respectfully before them, humbling oneself before them, drawing close to them and venerating them in a manner that is only befitting for Allaah. They are also forbidden because this is a kind of trying to match the creation of Allaah, and because of the temptation inherent in some of them, such as pictures of actresses and naked women, and so-called beauty queens. 

Among the ahaadeeth which state that this is haraam and that it is a major sin is the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him), who said, “I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: ‘Whoever makes an image in this world will be told to breathe the soul into it on the Day of Resurrection, and he will never be able to do that.’� (Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). He [ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him)] also narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Every image-maker will be in the Fire, and every image that he made will be made to appear to him and will torment him in Hell.� Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “If you must do that, then make trees and things that have no soul.� (Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). The general meaning of the ahaadeeth is that it is absolutely forbidden to make images of anything that has a soul.

Salaamu 'alaikum

Sorry brother, but do you not see that your icon is an IMAGE!

??? :D

wsalaam

Salaamu 'alaikum

Sorry brother, but do you not see that your icon is an IMAGE!

??? :D

wsalaam

asalam alaikum

Try thinking for yourself, look images were forbidden in the jusitifcation that people use it for paganism or shirk, but photography is not used for such purposes anymore so its perfectly fine, read slave's above posts.

heres my advice, follow what you think is correct view,

but remember if you make things too hard for your self you may end up moving away from Islam,

Guest amani
asalam alaikum

Try thinking for yourself, look images were forbidden in the jusitifcation that people use it for paganism or shirk, but photography is not used for such purposes anymore

believe it or not..it still is by some wacko people :D

assalaam-alaikum

Try thinking for yourself, look images were forbidden in the jusitifcation that people use it for paganism or shirk, but photography is not used for such purposes anymore so its perfectly fine, read slave's above posts.

the rulings of Islam are for all time periods and all communities ... unless stated otherwise by the Islamic sources ... so even if we cant see harm in what we do, we should follow what we've been told .

Allah forbids that which is hamful ... our intelligence is limited so we can't expect to fully know the harm in every forbidden thing ... perhaps looking at pictures has negative effect in the mind ? ... Allah knows best .

it isn't just the pictures that were used for paganism that were forbidden ... pictures for decoration were not allowed either

perhaps photos could be acceptable in certain circumstances when there is an unavoidable necessity ... but they are definitely not 'perfectly fine'

salaam

asalam alaikum

Salaamu 'alaikum

Try understanding what I'm saying :D

Some people still probably do worship people on photos.

Anyways the brother gives us all this info about photos/images beeing haram, he says:

The basic principle concerning making pictures of any animate being, whether it is a human or any animal, is that it is haraam,

and then he has an image as an icon a dancing camel or something. Either he's not aware of it and has forgotten about it or it's double morality. I think the first one and I am trying to make him aware of it.

Anyways if you think images are forbidden then why go on the internet? Isn't it full of just 'that'? :D (see there's one right there)

wsalaam

Edited by sis Qassab

assalaam-alaikum

the rulings of Islam are for all time periods and all communities ... unless stated otherwise by the Islamic sources ... so even if we cant see harm in what we do, we should follow what we've been told .

Allah forbids that which is hamful ... our intelligence is limited so we can't expect to fully know the harm in every forbidden thing ... perhaps looking at pictures has negative effect in the mind ? ... Allah knows best .

salaam

walaikum asalam

yay a debate! , only joking :smile:, there are two opinions posted here, both from Islamic sources, but i feel the first one hasnt taken the modern day and age into consideration, (that is context), altho i completly understand how it was forbbiden, idol worshipping and attempting to replicate gods, that was the ONLY purpose it was used for.

If i show this picture here >>> :smile: is this haraam? am i worshipping it? am i attempting to "create" something to worship? no, its a harmless image used to express emotions. If i take pictures of my family, does the same apply, of course not, what is then wrong with it?

salaam

altho i completly understand how it was forbbiden, idol worshipping and attempting to replicate gods, that was the ONLY purpose it was used for.

it isn't just pictures used for paganism that are haraam. pictures used for for decoration are clearly seen to be forbidden as well. if u read the hadith at the end of this post, u'll read that the Prophet condemned a pillow decorated with pics of animals. and the Prophet said that all those who imitate Allah's living creatures will be in Hell, not just those who imitate for paganism.

am i worshipping it? am i attempting to "create" something to worship? no, its a harmless image used to express emotions. If i take pictures of my family, does the same apply, of course not, what is then wrong with it?

well if we apply limited human knowledge, then what was wrong with the pictures on the cushion? to use ur words: were the pictures going to be worshipped. were the pictures attempts to "create" something to worship?

If i show this picture here >>> :smile: is this haraam? am i worshipping it? am i attempting to "create" something to worship? no, its a harmless image used to express emotions. If i take pictures of my family, does the same apply, of course not, what is then wrong with it?

smileys are ok because it's just a face, and a face isn't a living thing in the sense that it cannot exist without the body.

'Aisha (radiallaahu anna) said: "I stuffed for the Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) a pillow decorated with pictures (of animals) which looked like a Namruqa (i.e. a small cushion). He came and stood among the people with excitement apparent on his face. I said, 'O Allah's Apostle! What is wrong?' He said, 'What is this pillow?' I said, 'I have prepared this pillow for you, so that you may recline on it.' He said, 'Don't you know that angels do not enter a house wherein there are pictures; and whoever makes a picture will be punished on the Day of Resurrection and will be asked to give life to (what he has created)?'" (Saheeh al-Bukhari).

no human knows fully why something has been forbidden. let's not put a question mark where Allah has put a full stop.

I was wondering why almost all muslim countries have massive huge, humangoues pictures of their leaders and the princes??

Shamefull i say!

see the thing with pictures is that if a person really like a really popular person he/she would post it on their walls making them appear as idols and basically that is what they say This is my IDOL :P meaning the popular people are god-like to them :P

soo it is better not to put pictures on walls.

i have found out why you are not allowed to take photos:

the answer is that because Allah :D is the only one who creates images and he alone has the power to do it and if we take photos on the day of judgement we will be made to create the images in the photos and that we cant do!

true but its also the reason i gave cuz people might start worshipping picture of famous people.

just a thought

salaam

it isn't just pictures used for paganism that are haraam.  pictures used for for decoration are clearly seen to be forbidden as well.  if u read the hadith at the end of this post, u'll read that the Prophet condemned a pillow decorated with pics of animals.  and the Prophet said that all those who imitate Allah's living creatures will be in Hell, not just those who imitate for paganism.

well if we apply limited human knowledge, then what was wrong with the pictures on the cushion?  to use ur words: were the pictures going to be worshipped.  were the pictures attempts to "create" something to worship?

smileys are ok because it's just a face, and a face isn't a living thing in the sense that it cannot exist without the body.

'Aisha (radiallaahu anna) said: "I stuffed for the Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) a pillow decorated with pictures (of animals) which looked like a Namruqa (i.e. a small cushion). He came and stood among the people with excitement apparent on his face. I said, 'O Allah's Apostle! What is wrong?' He said, 'What is this pillow?' I said, 'I have prepared this pillow for you, so that you may recline on it.' He said, 'Don't you know that angels do not enter a house wherein there are pictures; and whoever makes a picture will be punished on the Day of Resurrection and will be asked to give life to (what he has created)?'" (Saheeh al-Bukhari).

no human knows fully why something has been forbidden.  let's not put a question mark where Allah has put a full stop.

asalam alaikum

ive already proposed my point of view, so i suppose its up to you to accept it or not i respect that, but i have one last point. If images are haraam, shut your tv, throw it out, Islam channel, and all other tv channels are then deemed haraam since video is simply lots of images moving one after the other. Im not giving a fatwa or anything but if someone is going to take this point of view that images and photos are indeed haraam i challenege them to stick to their view by throwing their tv out.

if education is regarded as a good thing....

then i will be shocked if you go through a whole year of college/simester without having a book with at least 1 image on it

I sometimes play a videogame called FIFA 2005. In the producing of this game they take photos for advertising. They even make pictures of the players' movements and save it on the computer. Does it mean that - as a conlcusion - that we should stay away from these kind of games. And what about playing car games, as the producers only makes pictures of cars.

if education is regarded as a good thing....

then i will be shocked if you go through a whole year of college/simester without having a book with at least 1 image on it

asalam alaikum

very good point, so going by the moral "practice what you preach" you should not approach any book with an image. Like i said throw your TV out if your prepared to stand by your view that images are haraam however i feel that images arent haraam because they are used for other good purposes in life

wasalam.

i have one last point. If images are haraam, shut your tv, throw it out, Islam channel, and all other tv channels are then deemed haraam since video is simply lots of images moving one after the other. Im not giving a fatwa or anything but if someone is going to take this point of view that images and photos are indeed haraam i challenege them to stick to their view by throwing their tv out.

walaykum salaam

firstly, irrespective of whether i myself follow an obligation or not,

i think u would agree that i have to tell the truth about the teaching

when asked about it.

inshallah i wont be a hypocrite, and there wont be a tv nor

any photos when i live in my own house. no doubt it will be difficult,

but who said heaven is easy, especially when living in non-muslim lands.

by the moral "practice what you preach" you should not approach any book with an image. Like i said throw your TV out

photos are allowed when there is an unavoidable necessity. if u have

to use the photos or pictures of full living things to learn, then use them.

by the way, i'm not gonna tell u to throw away ur hadith if u can't practice

what ur believing. (by the way, this isn't a personal attack, i dont even know u so i won't judge u, but just making a point, sorry)

ive already proposed my point of view, so i suppose its up to you to accept it or not i respect that

ok, glad to close this discussion with agreeing to disagree...

was-salaam alaikum

walaykum salaam

firstly, irrespective of whether i myself follow an obligation or not,

i think u would agree that i have to tell the truth about the teaching

when asked about it. 

inshallah i wont be a hypocrite, and there wont be a tv nor

any photos when i live in my own house.  no doubt it will be difficult,

but who said heaven is easy, especially when living in non-muslim lands.

photos are allowed when there is an unavoidable necessity.  if u have

to use the photos or pictures of full living things to learn, then use them.

by the way, i'm not gonna tell u to throw away ur hadith if u can't practice

what ur believing.  (by the way, this isn't a personal attack, i dont even know u so i won't judge u, but just making a point, sorry)

ok, glad to close this discussion with agreeing to disagree...

was-salaam alaikum

asalam alaikum

its ok sister, you see its good to see Islamic discussion now brimming with debates and discussions once again so i thank you for that and i respect your opinion :smile:

Salaam

well, this would be my bed room without pictures,

no TV, beacuse Tv and pictures, thers not much differance.

a lot of media deleted off my computers, (so cobwebs would be on it due to not using it out of boredom)

a lot of books / magazines / newspapers (not the indecent ones for the record) in the bin (i read new scientist, cvg and sometimes i download shonen Jump)

but most killer of all, no playstation (oh cruel fate). (ps. that would also trash my final fantasy collection)

that would be most "all" things media related stuff gone. face it, most of western entertainment is made through utilising pictures, photos and drawings made by hand or taken by camera / film ir generated by computer. coz it's not like whee i live 21 year olds will come outside to play football, and as we get older it seems we're more refind to home electronic entertainment (which one way or the other uses pictures lest the radio, which again itself is full of music which again is not good)

is there a ruling for pictures drawn for the purpose of entertainment?

for reasons i can see why pictures are a hazard from looking at my (now barren) room. would be:

they make up the media - thus entertainment (as i and i'm sure someone else on the planet sees it as) and what humans would most likely spend their time on.

perhaps all the possibilities of utilising pictures lead towards only forgetting God.

well anyway, it would be interesting to hear from someone who has actually shunned all sorts of media entertainment.