Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
aebrain

Are Robots Haram?

Please forgive me if I'm wrong about any of this, I'm not a Muslim.

Drawn images, and hence sculpted images, of living things are unequivocally forbidden, if I read the Koran correctly.

Opinions of scholars differ as to whether photographs of living things are forbidden, permissible under some circumstances, or permissible as they do not involve creativity, merely record.

But what about Robots? Things that may or may not appear similar to living creatures, yet endowed with the ability to mimic life to a limited extent? is the creation of them forbidden, or permissible, and if so, under what circumstances?

For that matter, what about artificial life itself? If a scientist creates a living creature in a Laboratory, is that forbidden as trespassing on Allah(swt)'s domain, forbidden as being a created image, or permissible as on the Last Day, only those picture-makers who cannot breath life into their images are to be condemned?

PropellerAds

:D

Salam

Robot is a technology and like most technologies could be associated with either good or evil. I think it depends on your intentions. If the robots with AI is created to be useful for the needy (handicap, sick...etc) and to benefit the humankind in general, then I think it's OK, but if the creator's intenstion is to harm other people or to somehow mimic God or associate robot with God, then it's haram. If one is creating a robot only for the sake of mimicking a human being, then there is something wrong with his/her intention. Creation itself is never condemned in Islam, but rather the intention behinde it.

The above statement is only my opinion, so please don't take it as a fatwa (religious ruling) :D