Islamic Forum
Basil al-Mamluk

Almaghrib

As-salaamu alaikum:

I have been reading into it and thinking about enrolling and attending some lectures at AlMaghrib. The scholars look legit (Yasir Qadhi, Suhaib Webb, AbdulBary Yahya, etc). Has anyone here attended any seminars/lectures? Specifically in College Park, MD (closest to me) or Fairfax, VA? Any thoughts?

Link for reference: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_almaghrib(contact admin if its a beneficial link)"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_almaghrib(contact admin if its a beneficial link)[/url]

-Basil

Edited by Basil al-Mamluk

PropellerAds

Assalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahee wa Barakatu

I attended the Seminar "The Evolution of Fiqh" taught by Shaykh Yasir Birjas in El Paso, Tx. It was very informative and I recommend this class.

This is the only class I attended so far, but Insha'Allah I will attend more classes in the future.

Salam

Guest amani

:sl:

im not in the US but do listen to their lessons/ read stuff etc. mashaAllah i find nothing but good may Allah bless them

Asalaam Alaykum,

I'm in Ottawa and Toronto and I know a lot of brothers and sisters who have enrolled before. Most of them have told me it's a very rewarding experience.

I think that depends on where you live and which speakers are there.

Though, I've never enrolled myself because timing problems.

Assalamu Alaykum

I like to listen to the lectures of Shaykh Yasir Birjas.

It could be that I am a bit biased because he is my local Imam (Shaykh Yasser Issa)

Wassalam

Yasir Qadhi is also an instructor for you are not allowed to post links yetalkauthar(contact admin if its a beneficial link). They have a good line up as well

Akhi...you should enroll

Mashallah I went to my 1st class in July it was AMAZING!!!...YAsir Qadhi was our instructor Mashallah he's amazing.

Just try it out Inshallah, you will not be dissapointed

Insha' Allah, you should go ahead and take these seminars. They are very beneficial and better than taking online Islamic courses. This is very good for anyone who cannot travel overseas or enroll in a university. Whether you want to just learn just because or want an Almaghrib Bachelors degree.

Regular seminars are two weekends back to back. Electives are one weekends.

Friday evenings are usually 2-3 hours. And the other two days of both weekends are usually from 10am to 7 or 8pm. Timings maybe a little different based on location, and pace of material covered.

Each course takes place every 3-4 months in an estlabished qabeelah (student tribe, i.e. location) and the exam takes place a month later.

There are breaks every 50 mins or so for 5 mins. Some breaks are 15 mins. esp. if they are overdue. Lunch (dhuhr/asr) breaks are generally for two hours.

All money spent in organizing comes out of the pockets of the volunteers in each qabeelah.

Eman Rush audios are also sold.

During each break, questions pertaining to Islam in general, as opposed to just related to the seminar, may be posed to the instructor. There are seperate turns for brothes and sisters. When one sex is asking questions, usually the other one is not inside the main venue (ex. auditorium).

There is a lot of bonding..sisterhood for sisters and brotherhood for brothers.

The unique thing about Almaghrib is that it turns muslims into active members of their communities. They don't just sit back in relax, and that's what I love about it after the authentic ilm! The other thing I love about this is that they don't want people to take it for granted. They want people to take this ilm seriously. Therefore, no seminar is repeated in the SAME LOCATION. You also have to work super hard for a year or two to make your community, when you don't already have these seminars regularly. It takes a lot to actually bring this institute to your location!

These are the ones I have taken so far:

The Purification Act by Sh. Abdul Bary Yahya

The Rules of Engagement by Sh. M. Al Faqih

Love Notes by Sh. Yaser Birjas

Route 114 by Sh. M. Faqih

Alhumdulilah, I have learned from each. Some of these were similar courses I took with the AOU, but I benefitted more from this particular institute.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

p.s. It is the only Islamic school in N. America that I know of that offers financial aid! (Qardh Hasana)

Edited by ummammaar

I suggest you register on Almaghrib forums, if you haven't already, and then go to your area's folder:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_forums.almaghrib(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/forumdisplay.php?f=25"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_forums.almaghrib(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/forumdisplay.php?f=25[/url]

I'm sorry I forgot to tell you. They do not repeat seminars in a location that has already had it. This is 1) to make people take knowledge more seriously 2) financial reasons.

To take classes you missed, you will have to wait for a new qabeelah and travel there, if you can.

Edited by ummammaar

DC/VA area (more info):

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_nurayn(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_nurayn(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/[/url]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qabeelatnurayn.wordpress(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qabeelatnurayn.wordpress(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/[/url]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_groups.google(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/group/nurayn"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_groups.google(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/group/nurayn[/url]

as-salamu 'alaykum,

I attended their opening course in the UK, and it was very good, masha'Allah.

Recommended.

was-salam.