Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Arsalan

Your Countries contribution to Tsunamic Disaster

I think its good to share whatr your countries are doing in this global event.

Its shows the beauty of deep seated loving and generous humanity that many people share at some level or another, wether it be the governemnt, charities, or just as individualls contributing to a collective cause.

ANd perhaps in the future, the world can help each other as more and more of these catastrophes will effect people.

Although iam British ... iam going to collate some informatiion on the British response.. which is sloely being implemented.. although they have lots of funds for initial relief.

Pakistan has already gone to the maldiieves and rescued survivors.. and is sending ship loads of supplies to srilanka and indonesia.. With the amount of beaurocracy in pakistan iam amazed they managed this initial step.

Edhi foundation a GREAT private pakistani charity went into sri lanka straight away.. and started distrubuting urgent medical supplies to the survivors amongst other things.

2 Pakistan Navy ships, C-130s to join rescue work

By Qudssia Akhlaque

ISLAMABAD, Jan 1: Pakistan will dispatch on Monday two navy ships to Sri Lanka to help in rescue operations there and also fly two C-130 cargo planes with relief goods and medical supplies to Indonesia that has been worst hit by the Tsunami disaster.

The decision was taken at the highest political level here on Saturday.

"Starting from Jan 3, 2005, six to seven sorties of two C-130 aircraft are being sent to Indonesia to deploy one composite engineering task force and one field hospital. Total deployment of these self-sustained engineering and medical units will be around 300 personnel. Besides these units, relief supplies will be rushed to Indonesia," the foreign ministry announced here on Saturday.

The ministry spokesman said on the same day Pakistan would also dispatch to Sri Lanka two navy ships carrying helicopters together with a Marine Expeditionary Force as well as doctors, paramedics, medical supplies, relief goods and foodstuff.

Pakistan has decided to join the International Task Force to coordinate worldwide relief and international efforts for the Asian region ravaged by the deadly earthquake and Tsunami. Pakistan was the first country to respond and dispatched a C-130 aircraft with relief consignment of tents, medical supplies and food items to Sri Lanka within 24 hours after it was struck by tsunami.

Two Pakistan Navy ships, PNS Tariq and PNS Nasr that were in Maldivian coast when the tragedy occurred, helped in evacuation of 367 foreign tourists, representing 17 nationalities, and locals stranded on the Memmu Atoll island, south of Male. Sea king helicopter onboard Nasr was also deployed for dropping food supplies to the affected inaccessible areas and local authorities dealing with the emergency were also taken onboard for aerial survey of the area to assess the extent of damage caused.

Pakistan Navy ships also established a medical assistance centre at the main jetty and provided medical assistance to the injured. On Dec 28, the two naval ships left for the eastern and western zones of the Maldives for assistance and aerial survey/damage assessment. On Dec 31, a C-130 aircraft, carrying relief items of tents, blankets, foodstuff and medicines, was dispatched to the Maldives.

Pakistan government has conveyed its readiness to assist the affected countries in any manner required to alleviate the humanitarian consequences of this catastrophe. Both President Gen Pervez Musharraf and Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz, besides sending messages of condolences and sympathies, also spoke to the leaders of the affected countries by telephone, assuring them of Pakistan's fullest cooperation and assistance in rescue operations.

To implement the directives of the president and the prime minister, the cabinet division, armed forces and the foreign ministry are working closely to provide timely humanitarian and relief interventions to the countries affected by the tsunami waves, the foreign ministry spokesman said.

In his capacity as Chairman of Saarc, Mr Aziz on Friday called for evolving a mechanism for putting in place an Asia-wide Early Warning and Disaster Response Regime to avert such disasters in future.

"I am confident that the Saarc member states will at the forthcoming summit in Dhaka give priority consideration to elaborating such collaborative arrangements," he said in his message to the Saarc member states on the new year eve.

The 13th Saarc summit that was scheduled to be held on Jan 9-11 has also been postponed to enable the South Asian governments of member-states to pay undivided attention to relief and reconstruction efforts.

The tsunami disaster has caused wide-scale damage to life and property. It has killed more than 150,000 people and affected even more in 12 South and South-east Asian states. Among the Saarc states Sri Lanka, India and the Maldives have been severely affected by it.

Edited by AbdulMajid

PropellerAds

United States Government Contributions:

1300 Marines

The entire New York State National Gaurd (not sure of the number)

$350 Million dollars

Federal Republic of Germany

Federal Aid :

20 million Euro (the government is debating about to give more)

plus the (only) Medevac Airbus of the German Luftwaffe.

plus the Navyship "Berlin"

plus a Field-Hospital of the Army with 120 men (in North-Sumatra)

The German people has donated about 50 million Euro. According to a poll 52 % of the population want to donate money. 16 % already donated money.

Also are there donations from cities that should be expanded to partnerships. (Munich for example gave 250,000 Euro to Sri Lanka)

Ma'a Salama

nasiruddin

P.S.: All figures in Euro, so here is the actual relation Euro-$ :

1 Euro = 1.34720 US Dollar

1 US Dollar (USD) = 0.74228 Euro (EUR)

Is a mess ... i can't find a complete list of all the contribution for the disaster.

To what i saw on variuous web sites, italy :

- govern 4 millions euros. ( but i think is going to cancell the debt these nations have with italy ... as canada did )

- italians citizens 16 millions euros.

- civial protection are operating there with an hospital.

- endless list of contrubutions from italians red cross .. and a lot of other for 5 millions euros.

I know there are planes wich are carring variuous thousand of tons .. medicines... water epuratos.. etc.

Edited by Venier

I found this in the OL Gulf News Letters section today:

What is bin Laden's burden for the heavily burdened?

"The response of governments and individuals to the tsunami tragedy is indeed heart warming. Considering the very large sums of money being pledged by Western governments, I will be extremely interested to hear what Osama Bin Laden and his Al Qaida network are offering as assistance to the devastated people of the region.

Therein lies the real difference between legitimate governments representing the civilised world and a bunch of terrorists."

That gave me pause for thought. I shall be waiting to see the donations. Peace

:D

kudzu, this thread is about Your Country's Contribution.....please stick to the topic.

My country is already mentioned in the first post :D

Edited by Z-247

In addition to the $350 million from our government there's this as well:

Americans Raise Over $200M in Aid

NEW YORK  From antibiotics to clothes to cash  lots of it  U.S.-based relief groups report an overwhelming response from donors moved by the devastation of the Indian Ocean tsunami, with more than $200 million raised as of Tuesday.

One charity said online pledges were coming in at the rate of $100,000 an hour.

Donors contributing to what one official called a "tidal wave of generosity" ranged from actress Sandra Bullock (search), who gave $1 million, to 3-year-old Antonio Cabrera, who joined his brothers in dropping off cash-filled sandwich bags at the American Red Cross (search) office in Denver.

Click here for a list of relief organizations.

Firm statistics for such relief campaigns are elusive. But charity officials said they expected donations to continue streaming in for weeks to come, putting the tsunami in the company of the Ethiopian famine of the mid-1980s and Central America's Hurricane Mitch of 1998 as the foreign disasters prompting the largest contributions from U.S. citizens.

The private donations are in addition to the $350 million pledged thus far by the U.S. government. Two ex-presidents renowned for their fund-raising prowess  Bill Clinton and George H.W. Bush  have been recruited to spur more private giving.

The No. 1 recipient, by far, has been the American Red Cross; its pledged tsunami donations as of Tuesday totaled $92 million.

"Something about this disaster has really touched a chord," said Suzanne McCormick, who heads the Red Cross chapter in southern Maine. "In terms of international relief, we have never seen anything on this scale."

Other major recipients included the U.S. Fund for UNICEF (search) and Doctors Without Borders USA (search), with donations of about $20 million apiece; and World Vision (search), Oxfam America (search), Catholic Relief Services (search) and Save the Children (search), each reporting gifts of roughly $15 million from U.S. sources.

Dozens of other agencies also were collecting funds for tsunami relief. A New Jersey council of Masjids raised $250,000, the Akron, Pa.-based Mennonite Central Committee (search) $2.5 million.

World Vision set a $50-million goal to help victims of the tsunami, the largest single commitment in its 54-year history.

"This disaster came on in an instant, but it will take years to help survivors rebuild their lives," said World Vision president Richard Stearns. "This tidal wave of generosity will help them rebuild."

Baltimore-based Catholic Relief Services has committed $25 million for relief efforts; spokeswoman Caroline Brennan said her colleagues were confident of raising that sum without dipping into reserves.

"We usually receive $40,000 a month through our Web site, and now we've been receiving $100,000 an hour," she said. "It's overwhelming. We're enormously grateful."

Doctors Without Borders USA, a branch of Medecins Sans Frontieres, has advised its supporters that it has raised enough to meet immediate needs related to the tsunami and urged donors to give to its other programs.

"We can't accept any more restricted donations at this time," said spokeswoman Kris Torgerson. "But we very much appreciate unrestricted donations to meet needs in Southeast Asia and elsewhere that are not in the immediate spotlight."

Numerous U.S. corporations have made large donations  including $10 million last week from Coca-Cola and $5 million Tuesday from Midland, Mich.-based Dow Chemical Co. The New York Stock Exchange Foundation gave $500,000 each to Save the Children and the Connecticut-based relief group AmeriCares (search).

Major drug companies such as Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson and Bristol-Myers Squibb have been giving not only cash but also antibiotics, bandages, pain relievers, syringes and other supplies.

Celebrities also pitched in. Film director Stephen Spielberg (search) and his family gave a total of $1.5 million to three relief agencies, Bullock gave $1 million to the Red Cross, and Leonardo DiCaprio (search), who filmed "The Beach" on a Thai island in the tsunami zone, set up a link on his Web site for relief donations. Singer Willie Nelson (search) agreed to headline a benefit concert Sunday in Austin, Texas.

In Ohio, the majority owner of the Cincinnati Reds, Carl Linder, and his son, Carl Linder III, provided $200,000 for a flight carrying 60,000 pounds of antibiotics, food and water for tsunami victims in India and Sri Lanka.

In Fargo, N.D., which was hit by the Red River flood in 1997, city officials agreed to give $10,000 of taxpayer money to tsunami relief.

"As I think back to the flood. ... and the amount of assistance we received from so many people and communities, I feel compelled to reciprocate," Mayor Bruce Furness wrote in a letter to city commissioners.

In Chattanooga, Tenn., some errant motorists were given extra incentive to donate  Municipal Court Judge Russell Bean is letting them give $100 to tsunami relief rather than pay a traffic fine.

"I don't want to force this on them," Bean said. "But I thought this would be a good way for people to make a difference."

"foxnews/story/0,2933,143384,00.html"]Source[/url]

I found this in the OL Gulf News Letters section today:

What is bin Laden's burden for the heavily burdened?

"The response of governments and individuals to the tsunami tragedy is indeed heart warming. Considering the very large sums of money being pledged by Western governments, I will be extremely interested to hear what Osama Bin Laden and his Al Qaida network are offering as assistance to the devastated people of the region.

Therein lies the real difference between legitimate governments representing the civilised world and a bunch of terrorists." 

That gave me pause for thought.  I shall be waiting to see the donations. Peace

pls don't start on it in here tooo. u know very well that u r bringing abt an useless argument around here. Known al-qaida account have been seized and if they come out & give money, the rest of the accounts will b seized.

btw lot of Islamic charities r contibuting too including those labelled as terrorist funding organisations.

Update for italy.

- 36 millions euror of indonesia and sri lank dept have been deleted.

- 70 millions euros will go in aid .

^ive heard the Italian public are going into hyperdrive like the british in terms of private charity donations... great stuff.

May Allah give them all guidence. "

!

The German government has risen its aid for the countries struck by the Tsunami to 500 million Euro (663,1 Mio. US$)

The private donations of German citizens have risen to 150 million Euro (198,93 million US$)

Ma'a Salama

nasiruddin

(Resource : German Newsmag "DER SPIEGEL")

Edited by nasiruddin

Michael Schumacher gave 10 Million Euro, thats a lot even for him!

Anyway, I don't know how much the Greek Government have given but I think the Greek people have raised over 25 Million Euro now and keep in mind there is only 8 Million people in Greece.

(Resource : German Newsmag "DER SPIEGEL")

off topic:

Der Spiegel is such a great mag, remember this cover?

^LOL that just cracked me up man.

Anyway 25 million is alot in a few days! Many countries are setting up field hospitals in Banda Ache, SPain , Austrailia, Japan, America too.

I actually do not consider "DER SPIEGEL" to be a great mag, because they are very polemic and they do not make journalism in order to inform but to create political emotions. (For example what they write about Muslims is quite disturbing, for example as they discussed Oriana Fallaci's second book). The ideal Muslim from their left-wing view is someone who drinks and eats pork and "integrates" himself into German society. But it's the only newsmag with a high circulation which tries to be serious in Germany. My professor of Anatomy once compared it to the German tabloid "BILD" (the biggest yellow press thing in Germany) and in some ways he was quite right. Especially their reports about science are quite bullshit. (I read it since years because my dad has an abo of it but I actually must vomit about some of their articles, because they're so dumb and undifferentiated)

Ma'a Salama

nasiruddin

Edited by nasiruddin

I actually do not consider "DER SPIEGEL" to be a great mag, because they are very polemic and they do not make journalism in order to inform but to create political emotions. (For example what they write about Muslims is quite disturbing, for example as they discussed Oriana Fallaci's second book). The ideal Muslim from their left-wing view is someone who drinks and eats pork and "integrates" himself into German society. But it's the only newsmag with a high circulation which tries to be serious in Germany. My professor of Anatomy once compared it to the German tabloid "BILD" (the biggest yellow press thing in Germany) and in some ways he was quite right. Especially their reports about science are quite bullshit. (I read it since years because my dad has an abo of it but I actually must vomit about some of their articles, because they're so dumb and undifferentiated)

Ma'a Salama

nasiruddin

NewStatesman in Britain is a good Political Journal.

Just the beginning inshAllah.

Saudi telethon raises $82 mln for tsunami victims

RIYADH, Jan 7 (Reuters) - A telethon held in oil-rich Saudi Arabia raised more than 308 million riyals ($82.13 million) for victims of the Asian tsunami, state media said on Friday.

The 14-hour broadcast, shown on Saudi state television, appealed for help in dealing with the disaster which killed nearly 150,000 people and left more than 1.5 million homeless.

Some commentators in the kingdom, the world's biggest oil exporter which employs tens of thousands of Asians, had criticised it for giving too little aid despite high revenues from record oil prices.

Saudi officials, however, said their aid was generous in relation to its populations and economy.

King Fahd, Crown Prince Abdullah and other key royals kicked off the drive by donating almost $10 million. Saudis and residents also gave cash, gold jewelry and clothes.

"I feel deeply for all the victims," said Mohammed al-Ghamdi as he dropped off two sacks of clothes at a sports stadium in the capital Riyadh.

The Saudi government recently tripled its aid to $30 million and state-run charities have sent tonnes of food, medicines and other humanitarian aid to the stricken area.

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.alertnet(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/thenews/newsdesk/L07533287.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.alertnet(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/thenews/newsdesk/L07533287.htm[/url]

Edited by AbdulMajid

Saudis boost aid to wave victims

The organisers of a marathon fundraising event on Saudi Arabian TV say they have raised more than $80m to help the victims of the Asian tsunami. The total includes a $5m donation from King Fahd. The Saudi government had already promised $30m.

Saudi citizens brought money, clothes and other goods to a sports stadium in the capital Riyadh from where the event was broadcast.

Qatar has donated $25m, the United Arab Emirates $20m and Kuwait $10m.

The marathon Saudi fundraising event featured religious figures calling on viewers to donate, saying it was their duty as Muslims.

'Collective miserliness'

Arab governments, and the oil-rich Gulf states in particular, have been criticised for not pledging more for the victims - the majority of whom are Muslims from Indonesia.

The two largest international donors are Germany, which offered $674m, and Australia, which says it will give $765m over five years.

There has been public criticism from inside the Gulf states that their contributions are not generous enough when the region's huge oil revenues are taken into account.

"We have to give them more; we are rich," Kuwait's al-Qabas newspaper editor-in-chief Waleed al-Nusif told the New York Times earlier this week.

Lebanon's Daily Star newspaper accused governments of "collective miserliness in this hour of human need".

The most-watched Arab TV station, al-Jazeera, has announced its own campaign for donations, describing the comparative paucity of aid so far as "shameful" .

However, the Saudi ambassador to Britain, Prince Turki al-Faisal, denied his country's increase was a direct response to the criticism.

"The initial contribution [came] initially after the news came out, so the picture was not clear to anybody as to the extent of the devastation," he told the BBC's Today programme.

"Once that picture became clear, it was decided to treble the contribution," he said.

The Saudi donation was not insignificant, and it outclassed the UK's offer of $96m "in terms of GDP and population numbers", he added.

Salams

Is it just me or has anyone else got the feeling that this has just turned into a competition!! Now i understand why we as muslims should remain modest and not go round shouting about how generous we are. It all strikes me as being a major ego trip!!

Then again, if it stops people being stingy.......then maybe its not such a bad thing!! Confused!!

I hate it when i start debating things in my own head..........i'm gonna go sleep!!

Wa'alaikumu salam

thinking abt it did turn out b a competetion... well outta this thread for good as i don't think it right to competetive abt charity like sis asmaul mentioned.

thinking abt it did turn out b a competetion... well outta this thread for good as i don't think it right to competetive abt charity like sis asmaul mentioned.

I have to agree with you, mansoor. There will be many acts of charity unreported here and at large for that reason alone. Suffice it to say that most of humanity is generous and trust that these acts of kindness and compassion will continue regardless. Peace

Since Malaysia has quickly recovered from the shadow wave tsunami, our efforts have been diverted to assist neighbouring nations in various ways:

:: Special Malaysian Disaster Assistance and Rescue Team (SMART) deployed in Acheh to provide help on the ground where it is needed.

:: Earthquake/Tsunami Relief Fund started by The Star/Maybank and New Straits Times/ Berita Harian have collected over RM 20 million (USD 5 million) from public donations.

:: Medical and humanitarian relief by Mercy Malaysia and Yayasan Salam Malaysia to Penang, Kedah, Acheh and Sri Lanka.

:: Humanitarian Aid Fund for Sri Lanka by the National Council of Women's Organisations Malaysia (NCWO).