Islamic Forum
Mr.POP

Women And Men Are Not Equal In Islam?

I recently got an e-mail from a non-Muslim telling me this. Mostly from the hadith and saying that he has proven that in Islam women are not equal to men. So, I hope you guys can give me a good rebutal to his presentation below so tha I can refute his points. It must be easy for some of you. Need help please. Muslims! Refute every single hadith and verse from the Qur'an please.

He wrote:

You (Muslims) believe women should be restricted in every way because they, unlike men, are evil and untrustworthy. I have not come without proof of this either. Look at these verses that prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Islam is a “sexist religionâ€.

"Allah permits you to shut them in separate rooms and to beat them, but not severely. If they abstain, they have the right to food and clothing. Treat women well for they are like domestic animals and they possess nothing themselves. Allah has made the enjoyment of their bodies lawful in his Qur'an." Tabari IX:113

"Allah said, ‘It is My obligation to make Eve bleed once every month as she made this tree bleed. I must also make Eve stupid, although I created her intelligent.' Because Allah afflicted Eve, all of the women of this world menstruate and are stupid." Tabari I:280

"Allah directs you in regard of your Children's (inheritance): to the male, a portion equal to that of two females.... These are settled portions ordained by Allah." Qur'an 4:11

"The Prophet said: ‘I was shown the Hell Fire and the majority of its dwellers were women...' " Bukhari:V1B22N28

"Prophet! Tell your wives and daughters and all Muslim women to draw cloaks and veils all over their bodies That will be better." Qur'an 33:59.

(Notice how he [the prophet] restricts the women whereas men can dress pretty much how they want).

"Tell the men with you who have wives: never trust a woman." Ishaq:584

"And for those who launch a charge against their wives, accusing them, but have no witnesses or evidence, except themselves; let the testimony of one of them be four testimonies..." Qur'an 24:6

"‘O womenfolk, you should ask for forgiveness for I saw you in bulk amongst the dwellers of Hell.' A wise lady said: Why is it, Allah's Apostle, that women comprise the bulk of the inhabitants of Hell? The Prophet observed: ‘You curse too much and are ungrateful to your spouses. You lack common sense, fail in religion and rob the wisdom of the wise.' Upon this the woman remarked: What is wrong with our common sense? The Prophet replied, ‘Your lack of common sense can be determined from the fact that the evidence of two women is equal to one man. That is a proof.'" Muslim:B1N142

PropellerAds

Firstly, where in the world did this person get those Hadiths? Are they sahih (sound and authentic) Hadiths? I'll reply to the Qur'an verses, as I'm not even sure who narrated any of those Hadiths.

"Allah directs you in regard of your Children's (inheritance): to the male, a portion equal to that of two females.... These are settled portions ordained by Allah." Qur'an4 :11

Does this non-Muslim know that the money a man inherits or earns belongs to his household, whereas the money that a woman inherits or earns belongs to her alone?

Let's look at it this way. Suppose there's a family, and the father has just passed away. The son gets the biggest portion of the inheritance. He becomes the provider for the family. Whatever that he inherited is to be used for feeding, clothing, and sheltering the family. The daughter and the mother have the OPTIONS of either sharing their money or keeping it to themselves. The son does not have this option, he has no choice but to share his.

"Prophet! Tell your wives and daughters and all Muslim women to draw cloaks and veils all over their bodies That will be better." Qur'an33 :59.

(Notice how he [the prophet] restricts the women whereas men can dress pretty much how they want).

That is wrong. Men are commanded to wear loose clothing, never to reveal whatever is below their naval and above their knees, and cannot wear pants that graze their ankles.

"And for those who launch a charge against their wives, accusing them, but have no witnesses or evidence, except themselves; let the testimony of one of them be four testimonies..." Qur'an24 :6

Many non-Muslims read this verse, and then don't bother to read the ones after it.

6. And for those who accuse their wives, but have no witnesses except themselves, let the testimony of one of them be four testimonies by Allah that he is one of those who speak the truth.

7. And the fifth (testimony); invoking of the curse of Allah on him if he be of those who tell a lie.

8. But she shall avert the punishment from her, if she bears witness four times by Allah, that he is telling a lie.

9. And the fifth; should be that the wrath of Allah be upon her if he speaks the truth.

10. And had it not been for the grace of Allah and His mercy on you! And that Allah is the One Who forgives and accepts repentance, the All-Wise.

I think that's pretty self-explanatory.

In Islam, men and women are not equal in duties and responsibilities. They are not equal in behavior, appearance, or emotion (something you should already know). But the best of any person, man or woman, is the one with the best deeds.

And wish not for the things in which Allah has made some of you to excel others. For men there is reward for what they have earned, (and likewise) for women there is reward for what they have earned, and ask Allah of His bounty. Surely, Allah is Ever All-Knower of everything. [4:32]

Salam.

:sl:

Tabari is a book of history which contains everything what was available from fabricated to the most authentic hence its not a reliable book . It so happens that some orientalist translated it , the kuffar use it to attack muslims as if it is a primary source of the religion. Anything from Tabari is by default rejected , unless it can be proven otherwise

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetahlelbayt(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/articles/Islam/tabari"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetahlelbayt(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/articles/Islam/tabari[/url]

For gender equality and relaed stuff, talking about specifics will get you know where , Its primarily the methodology that is to be questioned .. I recommend you watch this video , Its great

Edited by dot

same goes for the quote of Ibn Ishaq, Its not a book which is relied upon.

Edited by al-malabari

The best refute is the refute in the Quran in surathul Ahzab chapter 33 verse 35

" 35. For Muslim men and women,- for believing men and women, for devout men and women, for true men and women, for men and women who are patient and constant, for men and women who humble themselves, for men and women who give in Charity, for men and women who fast (and deny themselves), for men and women who guard their chastity, and for men and women who engage much in Allah.s praise,- for them has Allah prepared forgiveness and great reward."

also this might give you more information

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislambyquestions(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/woman/manAndWomen.htm"]Men and Women [/url]

Hope it helps, Salam

:sl:

Tabari is a book of history which contains everything what was available from fabricated to the most authentic hence its not a reliable book . It so happens that some orientalist translated it , the kuffar use it to attack muslims as if it is a primary source of the religion. Anything from Tabari is by default rejected , unless it can be proven otherwise

you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetahlelbayt(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/articles/Islam/tabari

For gender equality and relaed stuff, talking about specifics will get you know where , Its primarily the methodology that is to be questioned .. I recommend you watch this video , Its great you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_video.google(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/videoplay?docid=52...h&plindex=0

Oh, brother! Thanks alot for explaning abt the Tabari issue and that video link was awsome. Thank you very much. Salam.

Does this non-Muslim know that the money a man inherits or earns belongs to his household, whereas the money that a woman inherits or earns belongs to her alone?.................

Thanks alot for the beautifull explanation, sister. Really appreciate it.