Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Aboo Uthmaan

Yurt

Dear Yurt,

Firstly, welcome to the forum and I hope that this thread can shed some light on any concerns or doubts that you may have about Islam. I thought that it would be nice if we just briefly introduce ourselves first, so here I go:

I myself am a revert (to Islam) from a Christian / bordering on agnostic background who lives in the UK. I reverted (the reason I say reverted and nor converted will be become clear as the thread progresses) over 3 ½ years ago now and I have never locked back.

Before my reversion I had many niggles about Islam but as I began to study it these niggles were replaced with me coming to realise the reason for my creation and the purpose of my existence, and as a result what Islam required of me became easy to accept because of my new found understand of God. Once a person comes to know Allah and they truly believe in Him then what cones from him in terms of commandments and prohibitions is readily accepted.

Being a revert to Islam I am so pleased when I hear things from non-Muslims like,

I understand that one must first start with Allah and His truths...

You then went on to say,

...however, personally I feel I know God and His truths...

I would like to ask you what you really and truly know about Allah and how you came to know it.

After reading the remainder of your post my heart leapt with joy because unlike many non-Muslims who post on this forum I see in you someone who is sincere and ready to accept the truth as and when he finds it, so I look forward to speaking with you more and to hearing back from you and learning a little bit more about you inshallaah (Allah willing).

Regards,

Abu Suhaylah.

PropellerAds

Wow! Thanks for the reply.

Well, as to not go into a lengthy dissertation on my life, I “personally feel� I know God because there have been many personal moments in my life where I have felt physically touched by God. Without going into more, I will give you some examples so as not to seem ethereal and full of talk.

My brother is handicap so while my mom (after parents got divorce at age 8) went to college, to further her education and earning potential to support us, she received free respite (or baby sitter care, even though my bro is 3 years older) through the state so my mom could go to college and not worry about us (this was maybe 3 hours, 3 times a week). The guy that took care of us (me 11, bro 14) was british, one of the funniest guys I have ever know, loved the accent, did not believe in God, no way, no how. He knew that my mom and us went to church every week, and respected us for it. He would often debate with me about God, yeah, pretty funny since I was 11-12 years old.

Regardless of what I said he never relinquished his belief that there was no God and that it was all made up. Well, one day, when mom was at school, he took my bro and I to get something to eat, and on the way he stopped at a mini mall to get something or another, and when he got back in the car, the car would not start, period. He tried over and over again. Finally, after the starter, started making funny noises, began to curse. Weird thing is, I did not notice his distess until he cursed. I ask him what the problem was and he said, well as you can tell the blo**y car won’t start, so I am going to call a tow truck. As the car was my mom’s I did not like the idea of giving up on the car in the middle of the parking lot.

So I told him to try it again. He argued for about 2 minutes or so with me. I then shut my eyes and prayed like never before that the car would start, because right before I shut my eyes I told him God would help us. After I opened my eyes, he said, are you done, can I call the tow truck now? Amazingly, I looked inward and had complete confidence that if he turned the key one more time the car would start. I told him to try, he laughed, I began to throw a little boy tantrum and told him to try one more time because I believed God would help us. (I know, one should not test God, but come on, I was 11, I wasn’t testing, I truly believed what I said). He finally relented, started the car, vrrrooom. It worked.

Why do I remember in such detail? Wouldn’t you?

Also, in my teen years, I used to try and hug God and my guardian angel when I went to bed. Sometimes I actually felt as if a presence was there. Imagine? I don’t know? But sometimes the feeling felt more than just imagine.

I could go on, and honestly, in writing this, I am remiss about my lack of active faith in my life. I do not blame it on anyone, rather, I have had the need for inner faith as of lately.

Oooops, kind of long… :D

Ooops, forgot to talk about the truths. However, after the previous post, I feel that it is enough for this moment. I have done much research and furthered that research on this site. I have read and gone to about 85% of the sites recommended to me. Not all, but hey, that is a pretty good start.

So yes, I could go into more, but I believe I do have the truths of God. I am here to find out what the first born son of Abraham's seed understands. Mind you, this was not Sarah's first born as God had promised her before Abraham slept with Hagaar. However, I seek knowledge, despite what some may think on this board because of my political blathering :D :D

Edited by Yurt

Peace to you Yurt,

Im amazed at your experiences and what you said "Sometimes I actually felt as if a presence was there. Imagine? I don’t know? But sometimes the feeling felt more than just imagine."I felt that too at times in my life. I certainly will look at you in different light now.

May Allah guide you to Islam...Ameen

Dear Yurt,

MashAllah, I was touched really with the story you said above.

I was wondering if you ever went to the masjid in your area? I read before you were interested in meeting muslims where you live in this forum before. It seems to me like you have sincereness in your words and in learning about Islam.

I really strongly suggest you find and go to the masjid in your area. It is good to learn from the internet, but in some ways it is so much better in learning and understanding in person. Don't worry about calling or so on, I think you should just do it, I think you will be quite suprised by the warm reception you receive, I positive you will find good brothers who are more than willing to talk with you and better your understanding of Islam.

Many masjids have websites, or phone and so on to get the prayer times, and do not worry about anything, just show up a few minutes before prayer time, good times to go would be isha now in the evenings, or on friday a little before noon. I know it will be a great learning experience for you and you will inshAllah, leave the masjid with some new muslim friends.

Peace

Dear Yurt,

I am sorry for taking so long to reply, especially since it was me who started the thread and invited you here.

I am very pleased that you took time out to introduce yourself to me and after reading your story I feel like I know you a whole lot better.

In Islam we come to know Allah, and by this I mean know about Him, His Asma (Names) & His Sifaat (Attributes) via the 2 sources of revelation, the Qur’aan & Sunnah.

So with this in mind I wanted to ask you about the Sifaat (Attributes) of God, and the first question I would like to ask you is:

Does God have any weaknesses?

I look forward to healthy dialogue and I have complete yaqeen (certainty) that you will be of those who one can have healthy dialogue with.

Regards,

Abu Suhaylah.

I live in an area that only has one "Islamic Center." I have called but no answer, and at times given to me by other members here for when there should be people there for prayer. It may not be a place of prayer, I don't know.

Does God have weaknesses?

At first blush, I will answer no. However, it would depend on one's definition of "weakness." I will assume the common term applies and therefore offer again that, God does not have weakness, in that, God has no attributes that humans designate as weakness. His plan is sure. His love is strong. His knowledge is forever praise worthy. His science will I worship all my days.

I have a feeling you might ask me something that is written in the Bible that shows God as being weak. For instance, that God "forgot" or rather, remembered people's suffering, then did something about it.

Fair enough.

However, I want to stress that God is not weak in the sense that we understand weakness. The above sentence merely is the condiut of God expressing Infinite thought. Imagine what it would be like to be a conduit of God. Wow.

If you have other instances or other ideas, I would be very interested in hearing about them. Not to say anything about this board, but the IF refuters section used to be alot more active. I actually spent a good amount of time in that section and the sections around it. This is a good topic, I can feel a good, deep discussion concerning God/Allah.

Thanks. I appreciate your respect and understanding, especially since our two, probably cultures, at a minimum, our religions, have been treating each other at shoulders length.

PS. My political leanings, are just that, leanings, not foundations.

Dear Yurt,

Where exactly do you live?

So we agree that God does not have weaknesses. You mentioned yourself though that in the Bible it mentions God forgot, besides this there are many other verses in the Bible that demonstrate God as having weaknesses. However, my objective is not to refute the bible or to prove to you that it has been tampered with and therefore can not be taken as the complete and full word of God.

It was interesting how you interpreted forgetting as remembering, and this kind of touches on the point that I wanted to make. In Islam you will have noticed that Muslims sometimes differ with one another in terms of their interpretation of the Qur’aan and I know with surety that the same goes for Christianity with regards to their interpretation of the Bible, but unlike Christianity, in Islam we have a source to return back to when we differ and that source is the Sunnah (saying, actions and tacit approvals) of Prophet Muhammad (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) and the Sunnah is the explanation of the Qur’aan.

I have a lot more to say inshallaah regarding God’s attributes because this is the area in which we (meaning Muslims and Christians) differ irreconcilably in, but I think it is better if we keep our exchanges short and sweet and progress point by point.

I look forward to hearing your comments and thoughts on what I have said.

Take care,

Abu Suhaylah.

I too look forward to our talks.

I live on the cental coast of California. Great place to visit, beatiful ocean vistas, beaches and a great coastal life.

You mention that Christians and Muslims alike have discussions regarding interpretation of scripture. What I found interesting is that Muslims have the Sunnah to turn to. What is interesting to me, is that, even with the Sunnah, Muslims still discuss interpretations.

For me, God must be able to convey His message to all the people of the Earth. How to do this? Would God only speak or give His message in Arabic? This would limit the number of people to hear His message, unless there is translation. I understand that Muslims believe their translations are superior to Christain translations, however, my research (on the web albiet) has led me to believe that both parties have problems in their translations.

I believe that God can easily deal with translation problems and find a way for His Word to be spread to all the Earth regardless if it was first handed down in Aramiac or Arabic. What do you think?

Thank you for this thread.

Dear Yurt,

Yes Muslims still do discuss interpretations even with the Sunnah, but the reasons for this are many, from amongst them is that they want to twist and play with the words until what is said fits with their lowly desires. So we have third criteria, which is, on the understanding of the Prophet’s (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam’s) companions (radiyallaahu anhuma). If you have read any of my posts you will have noticed that I often emphasise this point, and putting the logical reasons aside for one moment, the Qur’aan and Sunnah itself is replete with proofs for this third criteria. Unfortunately though you see that most Muslims interpret Islam according to their whims and desires.

The problems are more than just the translations, but what it is that is being translated, is it untainted with truth or has it been tampered with? The Qur’aan was revealed in Arabic, but only a small percentage of Muslims actually understand Arabic, so the message of Islam, that is a call to worship One God Alone with no Partners or equals and to follow the laws given to the Last Messenger of God, has travelled far and wide irrespective of language barriers.

I have posted some stuff for you on the ‘Exposing the Trinity’ thread that I would like you to read, I know that it will not take you long to read it and I know you are of those who will comprehend. Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Abu Suhaylah.