Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lvl12

I'm Considering Islam

I realy don't know why I'm considering it though, I'm a 17 year old guy raised in redneck Alberta Canada without any sort of religeon whatsoever. I'm pretty typical really, i go to parties, drink, I even did drugs for a bit. but I just feel empty at the end of the day, religeous people just seem so happy and at peace with the world. Like the think they're immortal or something. I tried going to bible studies for a bit but that got pretty dumb once they started saying carbon dating is false and the earth was made overnight. The problem is that I am interested in at least learning about Islam but there is nowhere to go for that anywhere near me. And also the gaza strip makes me sick and I kinda want to relate to them somehow.

PropellerAds

Peace lvl12,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you benefit from your time here, and feel comfortable to keep questioning and learning. That's how we all grow as people.

Your introductory post is refreshing in that you have clearly reached a point of realization that there must be a greater purpose to life than our every day mundane routine. What I'd advise you to do from here is have a browse through the forum, reading about the basic tenets of Islam (particularly look at the Islam Q&A, the Why Islam and the Islamic Downloads sections) and ask questions in this area (non-Muslim Q&A) whenever you feel something doesn't make sense to you. We will do our best to help you in your quest; all you need to do is enter into this with an open mind and, more importantly, an open heart.

All the best.

Edited by emel

Peace lvl12

Its great that you're starting to discover Islam and even consider to revert. The notice you made regarding Muslims feeling happy is true, but for a different reason. We Muslims always rely on Allah Almighty, whatever happens in our life. We always consult Him and ask Him for guidance. And at times of troubles, stress, fear, injustice, all we have to do is stand before Him and pray. Its a beautiful feeling.

Speaking of carbon dating, (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamic-awareness(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Quran/Text/Mss/radio.html"]this[/url] may interest you.

Hi, welcome to Gawaher, It's good that you want to learn about Islam. May Allah make things easy for you and guide you in your Quest. You say you are from Alberta, [##][/##]i lived there for 4 years and [##][/##]i think it is a beautiful place, In factr if [##][/##]i had a chance I would move there now.

Where in Alberta do you live, if you feel you can share the [##][/##]information, there are eople ther who [##][/##]i can guide you towards, specially in Edmonton and Calgary. Please remember we are all here for you and will help you inany way we can.

Take care, regards, umAhmad.

Peace lvl12 and a very warm welcome to Gawaher. May your stay prove to be a beneficial and peaceful one.

It's great to know that you are considering Islam as your way of life, and the intent of acquiring knowledge on the subject of this beautiful religion. May Allah :sl: guide you and guide us all. Ameen. Feel free to ask questions, as sister emel provided with some good sections of the forum that you might want to visit.

Surely in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest (Surah Al-Ra'd). This is how Muslims stay at peace, we remember Allah and seek his assistance through means of prayer, contemplation and performing righteous deeds that are pleasing in the sight of God. As a result, even if peace and a sense of protection is lacking in one's environment, a believer turns to Allah as his source of help, tranquility and peace of mind.

I pray your stay on the forum opens doors to much knowledge and wisdom, and above all, the ultimate guidance, God-willing.

Salaam

peace and welcome .

I pray your stay on the forum opens doors to much knowledge and wisdom, and above all, the ultimate guidance, God-willing.

Salaam

ameen

Welcome here Dear ,

Here are some advice which might help you ,

1- Dont hesitate , ask , and we will do our bests to answer .

2- go outside , watch sunset , sunrise , watch the pretty clear sky , and think about how great and mercy our God is .

3- Books , Tv , Internet will help you to know more about Islam .

4- Dont let anyone affect you decisions , You are mature enough to make decisions

5- feel free to talk here , we are all your friends :sl:

Welcome here again ,

your brother , Moments For life :sl:

Hi, lvl12.

I am very happy that you are seeking something beyond the material world. Wordly pleasure never lasts, deep contentment will only result from a connection with your creator. You are always welcome on this forum, and please don't hesitate to ask any questions, no matter how insignificant you might think they are. We will always be happy to help you. Also, feel free to browse through the educational content in the Islamic Library on this forum.

I pray your stay on the forum opens doors to much knowledge and wisdom, and above all, the ultimate guidance,

Ameen.

Salam.

Ameen

Salaam and welcome to one amazing forum

As the others have already stated ask questions, browse the forum, talk to us about any thoughts you have, reflect, retell or relate with any of us regarding matters which confuse you or you wonder about. This is coming from a revert themselves, make the decision on your own and once you have there will be no regrets but your mind will be at ease Inshallah

I realy don't know why I'm considering it though, I'm a 17 year old guy raised in redneck Alberta Canada without any sort of religeon whatsoever. I'm pretty typical really, i go to parties, drink, I even did drugs for a bit. but I just feel empty at the end of the day, religeous people just seem so happy and at peace with the world. Like the think they're immortal or something. I tried going to bible studies for a bit but that got pretty dumb once they started saying carbon dating is false and the earth was made overnight. The problem is that I am interested in at least learning about Islam but there is nowhere to go for that anywhere near me. And also the gaza strip makes me sick and I kinda want to relate to them somehow.

WELCOME bigtime, brother...these feelings that you have are not uncommon....and being born in a muslim family does not mean the person automatically surrender's will and life to Allah(god as they call Him in the west)....no...each of us, went through our lives and CHOSE..Islam as a way of life....you may see many 'named' muslims practicing all the vices in the book or out of it....so REST ASSURED,every person goes through this stage....it is actually the 'soul' coaxing you to seek truth...and it is a VERY good sign that you took the first step of 'talking about it'...

'um hmmed' above has suggested people she can refer you to, i would take her offer....i personally was born in arabia,and raised in saudi,my first language was arabic,and i attended the arabic primary schools...yet i converted to Islam (in my heart, through something i read in physics at age 18 maybe 17) and then for a very long time i tried to find shortcuts around the actual code of ethics as described in the quran and practically demonstrated by the prophet muhammad....however; i did not stop asking,enquiring,and thinking...until i realised at age 40 that,"the shortest distance between two points is a straight line"..and Islam is the straight line that connects you to the Creator of everything in creation.

welcome again ..and salaamu-alaikum(muslim greeting,meaning = 'may you be out of harm's way in every way')

Edited by abukhaleel

Peace be with you,

I hope you are well

Welcome to the Islamic Forums, I hope you enjoy your stay here. If you truly want to learn more about Islam, why not start by reading the Qur'an - the revelation with which it all started?

[075] Al-Qiyamah (The Resurrection)

Maryam (Mary) - May Peace be With Her

Al-Fatiha (The Opening) & Al-'Imran (The Family of Imran)

This Is Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him) - The final Messenger of Allah (SWT)

Documentary: Legacy of A Prophet

And lastly - if you wish for some of the scientific proofs that the Qur'an is truly the word of Allah (God); then here is a video as well: Miracles of The Qur'an (http:// ###### .gawaher. com/index.php?showtopic=35507)

I hope you get the chance to watch there videos and benefit from them. If you like what they say, take it. If you dislike it, then leave it. Do know that Allah is All-Forgiving, Most Merciful. There are many people in this forum who have converted to Islam, and they would be more than pleased to talk to you if you wish.

May Allah guide us all to the Perfect Path

Take Care

Dear Ivan,

I perfectly understand your confusion, something i can relate to when i was your age. I was sixteen when i started doubting my then religion (i was a catholic christian). Islam was introduced to me by my mother who was just new in Islam then. Since she was working abroad, i only see her once every two years for as short as one month. That was the first time i've seen a muslim praying, practicing her/his religious obligations as closely as that right before my eyes. I never asked, no one from the family did because everyone that knew her have always respected her as she was and still is a good person, but she left me amazed on how she does her Islamic obligations in a daily basis, without falter. Before she left back to her work abroad, she gave me a booklet entitled :Muslim Christian Dialogue (i forgot its author). The night before that, we had a little discussion about that same book and it's content. The whole month she stayed with us, never did she encourage us nor even brag about her new-found religion. But that night made an impact to me. When she left, i started feeling the effect. At one point, i actually imitated her way of praying (atleast the actions i used to see her do whenever she was praying). I locked myself up in a room, and started praying the muslim way (you know, protrating instead of kneeling), and it felt nice. I was raised in a Catholic community, where going to church every Sunday is a must. I started questioning the devinity of Jesus (PBUH), my mind started refusing everytime the phrase "Jesus, our Lord and Saviour" , or "Jesus, Son of God" are being mentioned. I used to be the one responsible in changing flowers in the altar we have back home, but little by little i neglected doing so unconciously as i felt that something was wrong. Until i got really scared that i thought i might be commiting a big sin out of all this that i went to our church and signed up for a three-day retreat program...to check my innerself, my spirituality. To try to fix what i thought i had to fix...my belief.

But it didn't. Even with those people beside me in the said retreat were so absorbed with it, even magnificent programs were put through just so 'we' could renew our 'contact' with 'Jesus, 'The Son of God'. It didn't help me that much. In fact, it made me even confused (how? it's another story:D) Somehow a part of me refused a lot of what had been presented to me.

To make the story short, i found a way to know the religion of Islam better. i started reading more about it, learning more about it by attending Islamic gatherings and talking to people about it. Until i said my shahadah at the age of 18, two years after being introduced to it walhamdulillah.

I sincerely hope that you see what a lot of reverts saw in Islam that made us become among muslims...Ameen.

May the guidance of Allah be with you...ameen.

NB: sorry for a very long reply...didn't meant to get it this long

If you care more about being happy, than knowing the truth, then believe whatever the heck you want.

Salams and peace,

i wish you can learn about Islam here as far as you want. You are in the true place for learning and asking about Islam absolutely! Dont neglect coming on forum and discover what you search for.

Welcome!

You interest me, can we have an update as to which stage you're at and how you feel at the present moment? Have you been able to learn about Islam

religeous people just seem so happy and at peace with the world. Like they think they're immortal or something.

Awesome :sl: :sl: