Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
al faqeer

'CHRISTIANITY'- THE NAME & ITS MEANING

'CHRISTIANITY'- THE NAME & ITS MEANING

We shall proceed now to see 'Christianity' in the Bible. This may sound somewhat strange, because one may ask: since the Bible is the Holy Book of Christians, what else except Christianity will we see in it? Our discussion on Christianity will be a little different. Christians know very well about Christianity, and have an emotional attachment to it. So, we shall not go into details. But we would make an attempt to analyse objectively certain puzzling and enigmatic points regarding Christianity. These points need our attention, as generally they are not clearly understood.

Muslims feel that the love for God and love for Jesus is as much their right as those of Christians. One must remember that no Muslim is a Muslim if he does not believe in Jesus. Both Muslims and Christians have a common heritage, and both should benefit from it. This is the reason why these points need special attention.

THE NAME:

( a ) The name 'Christianity'- Is it really a valid name? If so, where is it recorded? In other words, where is its identity certificate?

( B ) Who has given the name? Or, who is the certifying authority?

The name 'Christian' was used for the first time in Antioch, as we read in the Bible: Acts (11:25-26):

“Then departed Barnabas to seek Saul: and when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And It came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.�

Who had given this name? Neither God nor Jesus.

We can mention the following points concerning the name 'Christianity':

1. The name does not bear the authority from God or from Jesus.

2. It was given by Jews and Pagans in Antioch (a city in the then Roman Empire), i.e., by foes rather than by friends.

3. The name was given after Jesus had left this world.

4. The name was used derogatorily, as determined by historians.

One may contend, What is there in a name? The name does not matter. This may not be a valid argument, but still for the sake of argument, let us then proceed to look for its meaning.

ITS MEANING:

The word 'Christianity' does not carry any meaning in it. It is a word for identification, derived after 'Christ' (like 'Buddhism' took its name from Buddha). Then the next question would be, 'What is the definition of Christianity?'

Now we have a problem.

- One may say that a Christian is one who believes in Jesus Christ. We Muslims also believe in him (it is an article of faith to believe in him). So, we can also be called Christians.

- One may say that a Christian is one who follows the teachings of Jesus Christ. We Muslims claim that we follow him more than those who call themselves Christians. Then we are rather better Christians.

- One may say that a Christian is one who worships Jesus Christ. But we do not agree to this definition. Why? Simply because Jesus never claimed: 'I am God and you worship me', or 'I am co-equal and co-eternal with God', or 'you will enter the Kingdom of heaven if you believe in my blood sacrifice'. Not once did he utter any such statement. Jesus certainly would not use vague language to explain this vital and highly important matter, or leave it to the people's own imagination and interpretation.

Then what was he teaching? What was the essence of his mission?

Edited by Al Faqeer

PropellerAds

There is one little problem with saying that Christians believe in Jesus Christ as Muslims do.

Christians believe he is the Son of God. Muslims do not.

So, we can also be called Christians.
If you believe He is the Son of God.

See Muslims only believe Jesus's sayings if it fits Islam. When it does not fit Islam, Muslims proclaim that our Bible has been changed.

peace

Yurt pls try answer the Points in the post .

who gave you the name ?

Neither God nor Jesus.

so why call yourself christans if god almighty did not give u the name ?.

peace

Yurt pls try answer the Points in the post .

who gave you the name ?

Neither God nor Jesus.

so why call yourself christans if god almighty did not give u the name ?.

I was answering your post, which contained supposed answers which I disagreed with. I had at the time not enough information regarding the orgins of the word "Christian."

I was unable to find a definitive answer. Neither could I find the orgins of "Muslim." I am not truly sure of the meaning of this post, but I will attempt to understand it.

So I will attempt to answer your question.

Could you please site the source of your post?

Here are some thoughts:

2:120 Never will the Jews or the christians be satisfied with thee unless thou follow their form of religion. Say: "The Guidance of Allah,-that is the (only) Guidance." Wert thou to follow their desires after the knowledge which hath reached thee, then wouldst thou find neither Protector nor helper against Allah.

The above is from the Quran. The word christian is in it. This is just one verse, there are many more that use the word christian as well.

“Then departed Barnabas to seek Saul: and when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And It came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.�

Who had given this name? Neither God nor Jesus.

Well, if one believes as I do that the Bible is from God, then God did approve of this term as it was memorilized in the Bible. Further, it is quite possible to believe that when the term was first usd in Antioch that it was inspired from God.

We can mention the following points concerning the name 'Christianity':

1. The name does not bear the authority from God or from Jesus.

The fact that it is in the Bible and the Quran is at minimum tacit approval, no?

It was given by Jews and Pagans in Antioch (a city in the then Roman Empire), i.e., by foes rather than by friends.

Source? Other than the Bible verse because the Bible verse does not mention it was given by foes rather than by friends.

3. The name was given after Jesus had left this world.

Ok, much in the New Testement was given after Jesus left this world. The Quran was after Jesus left this world.

4. The name was used derogatorily, as determined by historians.

This is news to me. Source. Also, this really does not prove anything. Today the word "muslim" for some is probably not a good word.

Assalam alaykum

So, we can also be called Christians.

A Christian is one who follows Christ(a.s). We believe Christ was a Messenger of Allah(swt) and we follow him, just like we follow Moses, Abraham and the rest of them.

See Muslims only believe Jesus's sayings if it fits Islam. When it does not fit Islam, Muslims proclaim that our Bible has been changed.

Some Muslims actually do this. We don't know which parts of the Bible are true, but the ones that do not agree with God's eternal Message we know are false.

peace yurt :D

No where in the Quran is the term christians used , the Term NAsaaraa is used or Nazareans .

In the Quran the word Muslims is mentioned more than once , you dont have to go very far to search for the word .

again Islam teaching is not on trial in this section yurt , your doctrine is thats why its called 'CHRISTIANITY'- THE NAME & ITS MEANING .

Guest muhsinmuttaqi

Assalamu Aleikum wa Rahmatullahee wa Barakatu

May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala make it easy for you all!!!

I found a hadith which shows something interesting. The Prophet seems to make a difference between Christians and Catholics/Greek Orthodox:

Narrated Abu Sa'id Al-Khudri:

We said, "O Allah's Apostle! Shall we see our Lord on the Day of Resurrection?" He said, "Do you have any difficulty in seeing the sun and the moon when the sky is clear?" We said, "No." He said, "So you will have no difficulty in seeing your Lord on that Day as you have no difficulty in seeing the sun and the moon (in a clear sky)." The Prophet then said, "Somebody will then announce, 'Let every nation follow what they used to worship.' So the companions of the cross will go with their cross, and the idolators (will go) with their idols, and the companions of every god (false deities) (will go) with their god, till there remain those who used to worship Allah, both the obedient ones and the mischievous ones, and some of the people of the Scripture. Then Hell will be presented to them as if it were a mirage. Then it will be said to the Jews, "What did you use to worship?' They will reply, 'We used to worship Ezra, the son of Allah.' It will be said to them, 'You are liars, for Allah has neither a wife nor a son. What do you want (now)?' They will reply, 'We want You to provide us with water.' Then it will be said to them 'Drink,' and they will fall down in Hell (instead). Then it will be said to the Christians, 'What did you use to worship?'

They will reply, 'We used to worship Messiah, the son of Allah.' It will be said, 'You are liars, for Allah has neither a wife nor a son. What: do you want (now)?' They will say, 'We want You to provide us with water.' It will be said to them, 'Drink,' and they will fall down in Hell (instead). When there remain only those who used to worship Allah (Alone), both the obedient ones and the mischievous ones, it will be said to them, 'What keeps you here when all the people have gone?' They will say, 'We parted with them (in the world) when we were in greater need of them than we are today, we heard the call of one proclaiming, 'Let every nation follow what they used to worship,' and now we are waiting for our Lord.' Then the Almighty will come to them in a shape other than the one which they saw the first time, and He will say, 'I am your Lord,' and they will say, 'You are not our Lord.' And none will speak: to Him then but the Prophets, and then it will be said to them, 'Do you know any sign by which you can recognize Him?' They will say. 'The Shin,' and so Allah will then uncover His Shin whereupon every believer will prostrate before Him and there will remain those who used to prostrate before Him just for showing off and for gaining good reputation. These people will try to prostrate but their backs will be rigid like one piece of a wood (and they will not be able to prostrate). Then the bridge will be laid across Hell." We, the companions of the Prophet said, "O Allah's Apostle! What is the bridge?'

He said, "It is a slippery (bridge) on which there are clamps and (Hooks like) a thorny seed that is wide at one side and narrow at the other and has thorns with bent ends. Such a thorny seed is found in Najd and is called As-Sa'dan. Some of the believers will cross the bridge as quickly as the wink of an eye, some others as quick as lightning, a strong wind, fast horses or she-camels. So some will be safe without any harm; some will be safe after receiving some scratches, and some will fall down into Hell (Fire). The last person will cross by being dragged (over the bridge)." The Prophet said, "You (Muslims) cannot be more pressing in claiming from me a right that has been clearly proved to be yours than the believers in interceding with Almighty for their (Muslim) brothers on that Day, when they see themselves safe.

They will say, 'O Allah! (Save) our brothers (for they) used to pray with us, fast with us and also do good deeds with us.' Allah will say, 'Go and take out (of Hell) anyone in whose heart you find faith equal to the weight of one (gold) Dinar.' Allah will forbid the Fire to burn the faces of those sinners. They will go to them and find some of them in Hell (Fire) up to their feet, and some up to the middle of their legs. So they will take out those whom they will recognize and then they will return, and Allah will say (to them), 'Go and take out (of Hell) anyone in whose heart you find faith equal to the weight of one half Dinar.' They will take out whomever they will recognize and return, and then Allah will say, 'Go and take out (of Hell) anyone in whose heart you find faith equal to the weight of an atom (or a smallest ant), and so they will take out all those whom they will recognize." Abu Sa'id said: If you do not believe me then read the Holy Verse:--

'Surely! Allah wrongs not even of the weight of an atom (or a smallest ant) but if there is any good (done) He doubles it.' (4.40) The Prophet added, "Then the prophets and Angels and the believers will intercede, and (last of all) the Almighty (Allah) will say, 'Now remains My Intercession. He will then hold a handful of the Fire from which He will take out some people whose bodies have been burnt, and they will be thrown into a river at the entrance of Paradise, called the water of life.

They will grow on its banks, as a seed carried by the torrent grows. You have noticed how it grows beside a rock or beside a tree, and how the side facing the sun is usually green while the side facing the shade is white. Those people will come out (of the River of Life) like pearls, and they will have (golden) necklaces, and then they will enter Paradise whereupon the people of Paradise will say, 'These are the people emancipated by the Beneficent. He has admitted them into Paradise without them having done any good deeds and without sending forth any good (for themselves).' Then it will be said to them, 'For you is what you have seen and its equivalent as well.'"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems that the Companions of the Cross and the Christians are different people. Can you give me the Arabic expression for Companion of the Cross and Christian in this hadith?

Salam

Al salaam alaykum Hamoudeh

So then Muslims may as well invent new words such as Mosesites and Abrahamites and call themselves that? A Christian is one who follows the religion of Christianity. A Muslim is one who submits to God and follows the religion preached by all Prophets: namely the submission to God.

I never said that we can call ourselves Christians, Moseans, Abrahamists or even Muhammadans.

Allah the Exalted says:

"When Jesus found unbelief on their part he said: "Who will be my helpers to (the work of) Allah?" Said the disciples: "We are Allah's helpers: We believe in Allah, and do thou bear witness that we are Muslimeen(Surrendered to Allah)".(Qur'an:3:52)

Many Prophets, including Jesus(a.s) used the word Muslim in their own language. Ibrahim(pbuh) was the first Rasul to use this word. This is the name for one who truly believes in and submits to His creator. It was not invented by Muhammad(s.a.w).