Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
proudmuslima

chapatis

salaam,

i hope you all are in the best of health and imaan.

i love chapatis and my hubby aswell, i would love to make it, but i don,t know how :D .

i have been taking some recipes from the internet, but it turnt out horrible!!!

so does anyone knows how to make plain originall indian chapatis???

thanks in advance :D

masalama

PropellerAds

asalamu alaikum

my mum says 10p for a tutorial, £9.99 for a demonstration...

i shall ask her... my mum makes the best chappatis simply cause we're from india.... big, round, small, square, double sided you name it... she knows it...!

i burnt my hand once tying to turn one over... :D

salaam,

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how she wants to recieve it by pay pall or money order lol!!!!!!! (w00t)

yes please ask her, ilike the round plain ones :D .

poor you let me cool down your hand for you.

thanks!!

masalama

:D

lol.... i love them too, the other day i was trying to make some with my sis.... u couldn't call it chapatis but they looked a bit like that.. :S

so it would be nice if someone helps :D

Guest amani

i know how to make chappatis :P

ok shape wise a bit dodgy but heres the recipe

some people make it with just water and flour but we add oil and butter..taste nice :D

you can make it with plain flour if you prefer white chappatis otherwise the real chapatti flour usually gives brown chappatis

for 3 cups of flour

about half a table spoon of butter.

one table spoon oil

and boiling hot water.

first put the oil and butter into the flour and mix it in. then pour the boiling water a little by little..if you put it all in togather it may get soggy. use a spoon to mix (as it will be too hot :P ) until you get a firm and soft but not sticky dough..altogether you should need around 2 cups of boiling water. (if it does stick onto your hands put a little oil on your hands and it should come off.

anyway when its pretty much a doe then kneed it will.

make them into little balls. one thing ..when you are rolling it do not press too hard as this will make the dough stretchy so when its made it will be a bit :D also make sure all sides are equal.

if wont come out round straight away. it takes practice but hey if ican do it then anyone can (w00t) the easiest way is to put pressure onto only one side of the rolling pin and turn the dough.

another thing that keeps the chaps nice and soft is after you have done them on the `tawi` put a bit of butter straight away and cover in the container. this make sthem taste nice :D i know this soudns hard but its easy once you get the hang of it

Edited by amani

Guest amani

:P

oh yeh another thing..youll know if the dough has is ice when you are `baking` it. dont turn the chapattis too much. about four times should do it. the first time it should just be a bit cooked.

the second time let it have done properly

thid time it should rise then...if it rises=good dough :D

foruth time just to make sure

and then take it off..

obviously you may turn it loaddssss of times like some people do but this is the way i do it and it turns out good :D

asalamu alaikum

looks like another indian beat me to it... but shes right... only turn it over 4 times...! it should rise around the 3rd time like she says... whatever you do, dont land ya hand on the thing... 'tawi' like i did... :D and dont add butter, it only makes you fat...! this amani has a thing for butter, butter on toasts and on chapatis... get joggin' girl...

you can send me a demo in the post, i will tell you if it is good or not...

does anyone actually get them to be round? am quite good at it now but when i first started doing them they used to run out to be like the map of india! :P :D

hey i :P chapatis :D but i dont know how to make them, my younger sister does lolz

asalamu alaikum

i've observed my mum and sister and to get them round this is what i see them do... they roll the rolling pin over once, turn (maybe rotate will be a better word) the round blob around a little, roll the pin over it again, turn the blob around again, roll the pin over it again... doing that constantly gets it into a perfectly round shape... dont roll the pin over it too far or else it'll stretch and you'll have to make the ball/blob again... im sure thats how they get them round...

got to say alhamdulillah, today i had yet another pair of round beautiful chapatis...

and use asli atta... the best...!

Guest amani

asli atta gives you brown rotis which are healthy :D

butter is lovely :D when i make rotis for my nana he doesnt like butter..for the reason you said :D so i cant put on butter then :D

[at] making them round...sis it takes practice :D trust me my shapes were different islans before...and ive `got a funny hand` so ivebeen told :D so if i can do it..anyone can

[at] taking a pic..you know on wednesday i was making them and it rose and popped and i thought. i should have taken a pic and posted :D

:D next time i will thats like in over a weeks time and you can tell me whats wrong ok?

sister proudmuslimah..tried it yet? :D

salaam,

thanks sisters for the recipes!!!!!! :D

inshallah i will try it soon, but i was a bit busy lately because my hubby is in hospital :D .

tommorow i am not too busy so i will try inshallah then, and i will post if it came out nice or not :D .

jazak Allah khair :D

masalama

Don't you just buy that chapati flour from a shop and add some water and make a 'dough' out of it with your hands and then just make it? :D :D

Like just get a small handful of the 'dough' and then use the rolling pin and once in shape, stick it on the pan thingy ('tawi'/'tawa') :D

Anyway! I've made chapatis before... and they were round :D

Oh yeah! Like amani said, put butter on it straight after the chapatis made... tastes pure mega nice! :D

excuse me for my ignorance but how does this chapati u lot are talking about look like??? I aint sure if I have ever seen one.... :D

Wa alaikum assalam

Here:

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_ccat.sas.upenn.edu/plc/kiswahili/video/reading/picha/chapati3.jpg"]Chapati![/url]

JazzakAllah Khair sister...lol its the same as 3aysh :D....nevermind

Guest amani

in the aysh dont you have to put in egg and all that? :D or is that something else? :D

and arwa..did you make those chaptis :D ?

Edited by amani

wa alaikum assalam

:D nooooo :D

found them on "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.google(contact admin if its a beneficial link)"]google[/url] :D

I aint sure how u make 3aysh but it does really look like it....well kinda :D