Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Glorthac

What Happened Between These Two Events?

Muhammad's command to al-Bara b. Ma'rur to pray towards Jerusalem and Muhammad's allegiance between Islam himself and al-Khazraj and al-Aus tribes.

It just seems like the transition between these two events is too bizarre in Ibn Ishaq's Sirat Rasul Allah, and I think maybe something happened Ibn Ishaq didn't write about.

PropellerAds

There is nothing bizarre about it, because Al Aws and Al Khazraj are Ansar from Madinah. They travelled from Madinah to Makkah to meet with the Messenger of God, Muhammad, Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam secretly. One of them decided to pray towards Makkah because he felt that it is more appropriate to pray towards the House built by Abraham. However, there instruction that praying towards Makkah had not come down, yet.

When they met with Muhammd they asked him about the ruling about the direction of the prayers. The Prophet replied with Jerusalam. However, you need to know that Muhammad was in Makkah. And he prayed toward the Kaaba in the direction of Jerusalam. He was praying to both Kaaba and Masjid- Al Aqsa to the same time, but when he made hijraah with the companions he felt the same like the Ansar, because now he was between Kaaba and Jerusalam and he could only pray to one of the directions.

The Ansar came secretly to Makkah to meet with Muhammad and pledge allegiance to Muhammad. They gave them the pledge to host him in Madinah and protect Muhammad from all sides.

There is no conflict.

When you read a book you can feel a smooth or rough transition between two events, so far Ibn Ishaq's work has been pretty smooth, but right here it seems like Muhammad has changed from a pious revolutionary to a realist, and I cannot see any reason for Muhammad's apparent change in character. I'm just wondering if there's anything happened between them that I'm not aware of which would make the transition more smooth.