Islamic Forum
Learning about religion

How Do We Know If We Are Guided?

Assalam wa'alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa baraakatuh dear brothers and sisters in Islam,

A question which often comes to my mind is "am I guided by Allah(s.w.t)?". This question is one which I often think about, in one way or the other, most of my hours. Every person who I meet and every interaction which I have seemingly causes me to think of Allah(s.w.t.) because I know that nothing happens without His(s.w.t.)'s Will and therefore if some bad should occur when I meet with someone, or the discussion should be cordial, each of these has a reason behind its occurance. Over the past two years or so I have been developing something of a social anxiety disorder where I am seemingly unabble to easily bond with people and it seems to be deteriorating further, Insha'Allah. Furthermore, my appearance which was once that of a plump healthy young man has turned to that of a withered and timid boy. People no longer seem to respect what I have to say and even those who are my junior appear to look down on me as either immature or ignorant. I have trouble speaking as the tension and worry in my voice always causes me to sound coarse. When thinking of a sentence or trying to define a concept I am seemingly unable to gather the words or articulate what I am trying to mean. My writing style does not seem very lucid anymore and the sentence struture is very awkward when it was once noted as some of the most sophisticated in the community. What am I trying to ask by telling you all this, brothers and sisters? What I wonder about is if these occurances in my life are because of the sins which I have committed, as a punishment for my heedlessness. We read in the Holy Qu'ran that Allah(s.w.t.) will not change the condition of a people until they change what is in themselves. I seek to try and change myself, but while I may do Ibadah or dhikr and attempt many good deeds I still do not have the feeling of contentness and closeness to Allah(s.w.t.) which I once had in my heart. Having once had them long ago, I miss such feelings of pure bliss.

I don't listen to music and rarely watch television, except if it be the news. I try to be kind to my friends and family, not being abusive or short tempered, yet still feel like the most looked down upon and hated person in this world. I am not sure what to do brothers and sisters. Could it be that I am merely delusional and imagining these things to be the case, or is this a sign that Allah(s.w.t.) is angry with me, having placed His curse upon my heart? I would like to tell you that I lost the feeling of closeness to Allah(s.w.t.) when an event took place which made me very worried about the dunya. Could it be that in having my mind linked to the dunya when it was formerly centered on the akhira has caused me to lose this sense of closeness to Allah(s.w.t.)? If I should resolve this issue, then, Insha'Allah, my mind can return to focus on the akhira and I will attain the sense of darrusalam which I once had.

Jazakallah khayr brothers and sisters for any thoughts on this matter.

Assalam wa'alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa baraakatuh.

PropellerAds
I don't listen to music and rarely watch television, except if it be the news. I try to be kind to my friends and family, not being abusive or short tempered, yet still feel like the most looked down upon and hated person in this world. I am not sure what to do brothers and sisters. Could it be that I am merely delusional and imagining these things to be the case, or is this a sign that Allah(s.w.t.) is angry with me, having placed His curse upon my heart?

Jazakallah khayr brothers and sisters for any thoughts on this matter.

Assalam wa'alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa baraakatuh.

ASA

Look here brother, if you feel that your being looked down on and hated then the only thing you can do is treat people with as much kindness as you possible can every day. Speak, smile, even to non muslims, be just a good nice person with something nice to say. If you walk down the street or when ever you meet people and the look on your face is resembiling whats going on within your mind then yes people will respond differently towards you and if your language reflects the turmoil that going on within your mind the yes people will treat you much differently. Allah has not cured you or does it seem that He is angry with you, it sounds like your angry at yourself and that your cursing yourself. Salat is not the only way to show your worship to Allah, brother your whole life has to be an expression of worship to Allah. And Allah works through people some time and you never know who hes going to send your way. First off you must hold high respect for yourself, if you donot respect yoursel how can you respect Allah. Allah has caused us to look at ourselves to study ourselves, to study this earth to get to know Him better, if you disrespect yourself which belongs to Allah, then you have disrespected Allah and youve put yourself into a hell.

GET OUT OF THAT HELL PICK YOURSELF UP!!! You are human being that was created by Allah you have a PURPOSE IN THIS LIFE, what is that purpose? thats for you to find out. But you will never find out that purpose by feeling sorry for yourself, all you would do is sink further into misery. Start being a better human being,give a kind word to people, help an old person, cut the grass on your neighbours yard, be more friendly, and most of all be good to yourself. Treat yourself to good compliments"i am a good muslim" "I do love Allah" "Allah DOES LOVE ME" "Islam is MY religion" Say IT!! Once you say these things to yourself then they are enternilized within yourself and you should act accordingly.BECAUSE IT IS THE TRUTH.

I would like to tell you that I lost the feeling of closeness to Allah(s.w.t.) when an event took place which made me very worried about the dunya. Could it be that in having my mind linked to the dunya when it was formerly centered on the akhira has caused me to lose this sense of closeness to Allah(s.w.t.)? If I should resolve this issue, then, Insha'Allah, my mind can return to focus on the akhira and I will attain the sense of darrusalam which I once had.

It seems that you had lost your balance, there is nothing wrong with this dunya, if it was then Allah wouldnt have put us here. I used to think that the word dunya, when i was young, ment Hell! Just by the way brothers and sisters used the word. LIVING IN THlS DUNYA!! THIS CURSED DUNYA!! YOU DONT WANT TO GET INVOLVED IN THIS DUNYA!!THIS DUNYA IS FOR THE WICKED!! I was so scared of this place that was called the Dunya and I for sure as hell did not want to be here in this DUNYA. Until i read the Quran and Allah said too seek for the akhira but donot neglect your share in this dunya. BoY WAS I RELIEVED to find out that this Dunya that i was living in was not hell it was the earth.

So here we have a balance Allah is giving us a balance we are to look seek for the afterlife which is far more better than this life and Allah also says dont forget your share in this Dunya, Also remember this dua that we recite Rabbina atina fidunya hassanitin wa fil akhirati hassana.... God give us good n this earth and good in the next life. Like i said your life in this earth has to be an expression of worship to Allah, so go for the good in this life donot neglect that and dont neglect the afterlife either, have a balance.

We all can be Better muslims, and we all try, but dont ever give up, be the best human being you can be, be the kindest person, give a good greeting even if one is not returned to you keep you belief that Allah sits on top of your life. He is watching you! This is what he wants for you he is so mercyful that he has laid out a good path for you that starts whenever you start to be the best human being that you can be.

And he has even laid out a path for you that if you want to bring destruction on yourself, with wrongful thinking then he has given you the free will to lead whatever path you wish to take. And ther is no inbetween path either your actions are good or they are bad, either your mind set will lead you to heaven and peace in this life or it can lead you to hell the choice is yours

I hope that Allah has blessed my words have some effect on you, an to help you to help yourself to stay on the high road

ASA

Assalam wa'alaykum,

Jazkallah khayr for all of your replies. I have heard that if we do what Allah(s.w.t.) has commanded us to do that it is a sign of His(s.w.t.)'s love for us. I will try to be more positive and not take such problems as a sign that I am cursed, however I simply can't understand why people look down upon me so much as if I am a baby.

May Allah(s.w.t.) make us firm against what worries us, real or imagined. Ameen.

Assalam wa'alaykum.

:sl:

brother, we have to acknowledge that in our journey in this temporary world, all of us will encounter all these following problems:

1. spiritual problem

2. emotional/psychological problem

3. physical problem

it seems to me that you have emotional problems (it may be some buried issues that you are not aware of in the past, but it affects your life today). and this become complicated as you are trying to link this emotional problems with some spiritual issues. sometime it might be true that there is a connection between the two of them, but in other times, it's most like just pure emotional/psychological issues. so we need to sort it out and address the root problems one by one. i can pm you and talk about this deeper if you don't mind?

wassalam,

y

Asalamu Alaykum brother,

Its nice of you to ask us for advice or opinon...Allah(s.w.t) is the all-knowing...since you are doing 'iibadah and dhikr alhamdullilah,it will help you in ur hasanaat...

Allah inflicts more challenges on the believer to test their patience...so the best thing you should do is continue your 'iibadah and even though you might not see any change remember Allah is all-hearing,so be patience and have faith in Allah(s.w.t)...

"Inaa Allahu Ma'aa Sabareen" and verily Allah is with the patient..

Jazakum allahu khayrn

Over the past two years or so I have been developing something of a social anxiety disorder where I am seemingly unabble to easily bond with people and it seems to be deteriorating further, Insha'Allah. Furthermore, my appearance which was once that of a plump healthy young man has turned to that of a withered and timid boy. People no longer seem to respect what I have to say and even those who are my junior appear to look down on me as either immature or ignorant. I have trouble speaking as the tension and worry in my voice always causes me to sound coarse.

I believe that the best thing that you can do is, as it has already been said, to stay positive. It’s really unimportant what others think, what is important is your morality. As long as you are treating people morally then I don’t see any need to worry. I believe that the best advice that I can give you and which was given to me is to stay in a state of wudu .

Upon further reflection on what I have said, I also believe that the best of knowledge can be used in the worst of manners; this is why I believe that the agent should always display a firm sense of responsibility.

Assalamu Alaykum

1. Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala provided the guidance for us through the Prophets and Messengers.

2. Allah provided the guidance for us through showing us the Straight Path which are Qur'an and Sunnah.

3. Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala tells us how to stay on the Straight Path and what to do if we are going a stray path.

Salam

Edited by Muhsinmuttaqi