Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
2ru-Path

Meteorology?

Assalamu Alaikum,

I was wondering that since Islam rejects superstitious practices of Astrology, fortune-telling, and other pseudo-sciences, etc..., then is the career or use of Meteorology rejected too? I know that there is a Hadith where Muhammad (SAW) says that no one knows how the weather will be like tommorow except Allah. In Meteorology and news weather, we see forecasts of how the temparature might be tommorow etc., realizing the meteorologists know that the future temperatures are only predictions. So my question is, is meteorology and looking at weather forecasts haraam in any way?

Jazak Allahu Khairan. :sl:

PropellerAds

Astrology, fortune-telling and practice of sorcery are unlawful in Islam.

On astrology:

According to Ibn Abbas, prophet Muhammad said: "Whoever learns a part of astrology, has learnt a part of magic. Those who learn more accumulate more (sin)."

On fortune-telling:

On the authority of one of the wives of the Prophet (Hafsah - may Allah be pleased with her), that Allah's Prophet said:

"Whoever went to a fortune-teller and asked him about some matter (i.e. of the unseen) and believed him, will have his prayer rejected for forty days." [Muslim]

On sorcery/magic:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet said, "Avoid the seven great destructive sins." The people enquire, "O Allah's Apostle! What are they? "He said, "To join others in worship along with Allah, to practice sorcery, to kill the life which Allah has forbidden except for a just cause, (according to Islamic law), to eat up Riba (usury), to eat up an orphan's wealth, to give back to the enemy and fleeing from the battlefield at the time of fighting, and to accuse, chaste women, who never even think of anything touching chastity and are good believers. [bukhari]

Psuedoscience deals more with paranormal, superstitious and occult aspects of the world. Some of these beliefs are contradictory to the teachings of Islam; some of them are even Shirk. Most non-Muslims would argue that the belief that God created the universe is an example of psuedoscience because it's not based on objective, precise evidence.

Meteorology is not pseudoscience, it is a scientific system of understanding our atmosphere and predicting possibilities based on factual evidence. Regardless, we would need a scholarly opinion on this.

Assalamu alaikum, like sister Redeem mentioned Meteorology (weather forecast, etc.) has nothing to do with fortune telling or Magic or anything similar, the forecast that we hear for the next days or extended period of time is based on the the atmospheric condition around and could change any time, and we all know that.

I don't want to try and explain something that I am not an expert in, instead I'd like to post the words of the Scholars. Below is a small quote from the answer given to a similar question. Please check the link and read the complete answer to get the full benefit.

Forecasting the weather and predicting strong winds and storms or saying where clouds are expected to form or where rain is likely to fall is based on knowledge of the natural laws of Allaah. One who has experience of these laws may say what he expects to happen, without certain knowledge, on the basis of scientific theories or common experience, so he expects that and predicts it on the basis of likelihood, not certain knowledge, and he gets it right sometimes and gets it wrong sometimes. End quote from Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/83837"]Forecasting the weather: [/url]

Assalamu Alaikum.

Assalamu alaikum, like sister Redeem mentioned Meteorology (weather forecast, etc.) has nothing to do with fortune telling or Magic or anything similar, the forecast that we hear for the next days or extended period of time is based on the the atmospheric condition around and could change any time, and we all know that.

I don't want to try and explain something that I am not an expert in, instead I'd like to post the words of the Scholars. Below is a small quote from the answer given to a similar question. Please check the link and read the complete answer to get the full benefit.

Forecasting the weather:

Assalamu Alaikum.

WaAlaikum Assalaam,

Jazak Allahu Khairan both of you for replying :sl:. I guess in matters like this, it's best to discuss it with Muslims, and then putting one's trust in Allah. I asked because I was somewhat interested in the career of Meteorology and have been wondering whether it would be considered as haraam or not. Salaam. :sl:

Meteorology is not pseudoscience, it is a scientific system of understanding our atmosphere and predicting possibilities based on factual evidence. Regardless, we would need a scholarly opinion on this.

salam...

Ya Allah....we need scholarly opinion on this??????????? ......this is nothing but intelectual paralysis

salam...

Ya Allah....we need scholarly opinion on this??????????? ......this is nothing but intelectual paralysis

:sl:

Don't assume that everything is as simple as you think it is. And more importantly, don't discourage people from being careful rather than taking things for granted.

Intelectual paralysis? Uh, sure. If you say so.

:sl:

Don't assume that everything is as simple as you think it is. And more importantly, don't discourage people from being careful rather than taking things for granted.

Intelectual paralysis? Uh, sure. If you say so.

salam,

There is a difference between being cautious and being over cautious. Even a child knows having a scientific weather monitoring system can save millions. And to throw doubt and to encourage a debate on this topic is shameful and tantamount to insulting Islam in front of others. We are repeating the same mistake we did in our past. There was even an incident in past, while Muslims were going through extreme difficulties, some of our scholars were debating whether wudu should be taken again if someone toches a part of breast of a lady laying in a battlefield! See we have more important things to do and it is not good for us to waste our time discussing such illogical and imaginary things.

wassalam

Assalamu Alaykum

there are no stupid questions and everyone has the right to ask questions if they have not the knowledge. There may be rulings that you and we may not be aware of?

Assalamu Alaykum

there are no stupid questions and everyone has the right to ask questions if they have not the knowledge. There may be rulings that you and we may not be aware of?

salam

you may read Quran, especially the story of the people of the cave and story of sacrifice of a cow by jews, as to how people were asking unnecessary and illogical questions and whereby lost their faith. It was the reason for their destruction and it is the reason for the plight of the muslims now

wassalam

Do you want to worship and practice in ignorance. This is about fiqh and does not have to do anything to do with the verses that you refer to.

These are not hypothetical questions.

Eid Mubarak

Assalamu Alaykum

The question the topic starter asked is a valid question and deal with real situations and he wanted to increase his knowledge about meteorology which is beneficial knowledge. He might have refused to take the job out of ignorance of the rulings and conditions.

Remember, that Muhammad sallallahu alayhi wa sallam cursed a person who gave a wrong fatwa to a brother who died because of that.

We have the incident where the sisters were granted lessons and one of the women asked the Prophet how to clean herself after the menses although this is a natural thing, but they wanted to make sure there is another way they may not know.

One time a Sahaba asked a question which seemed illogical to the Sahaba who were amused about the question. The prophet, however, defended this sahabi by telling them that there are not stupid question. If someone does not know he should ask.

Assalamu Alaykum

To HCEveningWalk:

The following information may be beneficial as well. It is somewhat related to your question and deals with Astrology and Astronomy.

Astrology vs. astronomy

Are we allowed to read our star signs?

Praise be to Allaah.

Al-Bukhaari said in his Saheeh: Qutaadah said: “Allaah created these stars for three purposes: to adorn the heavens, to stone the devils and as signs by which to navigate. Whoever seeks anything else in them is mistaken and does not benefit from them, and he is wasting his time and effort in seeking something of which he has no knowledge.†(Saheeh al-Bukhaari, Baab fi’l-Nujoom, 2/240)

The study of the stars is divided into two kinds:

1- Study of the influence of the stars (astrology)

2- Study of the positions and movements of the stars (astronomy)

Study of the influence of the stars (astrology) is divided into three categories:

1 – The belief that these stars have a real influence in the sense that they create events and evil. This is major shirk (shirk akbar), because whoever claims that there is another creator alongside Allaah is a mushrik in the sense of major shirk, for he is regarding a created thing that is subjugated as a creator which subjugates.

2 – Making this a reason to claim to have knowledge of the unseen, so from the movements and changes in the stars he deduces that such and such will happen because such and such has happened to such and such a star. For example, he may say that one person’s life will be miserable because he was born under this star, and that another person’s life will be happy because he was born under that star. This person is taking knowledge of the stars as a means to claim that he has knowledge of the unseen, and claiming to have knowledge of the unseen is kufr (disbelief) which puts one beyond the pale of Islam, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say: None in the heavens and the earth knows the Ghayb (Unseen) except Allaahâ€[al-Naml 29:65]

The grammatical structure used in the original Arabic – starting with the negation laa (translated here as “noneâ€) followed by the word illa (“exceptâ€) – is one of the most emphatic ways of expressing exclusivity. So if a person claims to know the unseen, he is effectively disbelieving what the Qur’aan says.

3 – If he believes that the stars are the cause of good or bad things happening, this is minor shirk (shirk asghar), i.e., when something happens he attributes it to the stars (and only attributes it to the stars after it has happened). The basic principle is that whoever believes that one thing is the cause of another when Allaah has not made it so, is overstepping the mark and not acknowledging Allaah as He should be acknowledged, because the One Who makes things happen is Allaah alone. For example, if a person seeks healing from a piece of string (tied around his wrist), and says, “I believe that healing is in the hand of Allaah and this string is simply the means,†we would say to him, “You have saved yourself from major shirk but you have fallen into lesser shirk, because Allaah has not made string a clear means of healing. By doing this you have transgressed against His position of Controller and Sustainer, by making something a means to something else when Allaah has not made it so.†The same applies to one who regards the stars as the cause of rainfall when this is not the case. The evidence for that is the hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari (801) and Muslim (104) from Zayd ibn Khaalid al-Juhani who said: “The Messenger of Allaah SAWs (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) led us in praying Fajr at al-Hudaybiyah, following rainfall during the night. When he had finished praying, he turned to the people and said, ‘Do you know what your Lord has said?’ They said, ‘Allaah and His Messenger know best.’ He said, ‘This morning one of My slaves became a believer in Me and one became a disbeliever. As for the one who said, “We have been given rain by virtue of Allaah and His mercy,†he is a believer in Me and a disbeliever in the stars. But as for the one who said, “We have been given rain by such and such a star,†he is a disbeliever in Me and a believer in the stars.’†So the one who attributes rain to the stars is saying that the stars caused the rain.

Study of the positions and movements of the stars (astronomy) is divided into two categories:

1 – If their movements are used to define things that serve a religious purpose, this is something that is necessary. If that helps in the case of religious obligations, then learning it is obligatory, such as using the stars to determine the direction of the qiblah (direction of Makkah).

2 – If their movements are used to define things that serve a worldly purpose, there is nothing wrong with that. This is of two types:

(a) Using the stars to work out directions, such as knowing that the pole lies to the north, and that the Pole Star, which is close to it, revolves around the North Pole. This is permissible. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And landmarks (signposts, during the day) and by the stars (during the night), they (mankind) guide themselvesâ€

[al-Nahl 16:16]

(b) Using the stars to work out the seasons, through learning the phases of the moon. Some of the salaf regarded this as makrooh while others permitted it. The correct view is that it is permissible and there is nothing makrooh in it, because there is no shirk involved in it, unless one learns it in order to attribute rainfall or cold weather to it, and says that this is what is causing that. That is a kind of shirk. But simply knowing the time of year from it, whether it is spring or autumn or winter, there is nothing wrong with that.

See al-Qawl al-Mufeed by Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him), 2/102.[/b]

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Edited by Muhsinmuttaqi