Islamic Forum
hamza81

Why I Left Christianity

This is an account from a recent convert to Islam and he tells his story about his conversion from Christianity to Islam!

Allah (swt) took me on a long journey. Allah knows best.

long story here it goes

I actually had to take tests on Islam in 7th grade in Trumbull Connecticut when I was a kid. Our class book had a whole chapter on Islam that was my early understanding of it but as a Haitian child growing up in a new country culture pride was important so I really did not think that it would be acceptable for me to become a muslim I just did not think too much about it. Years later when I saw Spike Lee's film about Malcolm X the while scene about the Hajj and his discovery of "True" Islam did a lot to help me respect Islam as a religion for the first time.

I went through a lot of struggle with my faith in the Christian path. From attending Catholic private school to attending Baptist churches around the same time. So confusing and full of contradictions, and with so many questions in my mind as people around me prayed to Mary Saint Peter, Saint Joseph, or Pray to Jesus. Inside my soul could not relate I could not find ownership of my faith I did not understand what I Christian was suppose to be because there was over a hundred different groups of Christians worshipping in far different ways. My mother was never really a religious person, she left me in Haiti after I was born to come to the US (Brooklyn NY) to work and I never really knew her until I was 9. So during my childhood in Haiti I was bounched around a lot. I was born with a painful illness Sickle Cell Anemia. So when I got sick the many families I stayed with prayed for me in different ways so I knew there was a God from them but I was not really sure how to reach them seen each family I stayed with believed they followed the true path and the others were going to suffer in Hell. And the worst part of it all Voodoo was used along side of believing in the Bible. Very confusing.

After watching my Mother die in a car crash a few month before my 14th birthday I knew I would have to move again and bounce around from family to family. I vowed to find my own values and beliefs no matter what they believed. While in Art School in Florida for college I was invited to a church called the International Church of Christ... these guys were hardcore, they believed in following Christ to the letter as disciples. Our focus was to go out into the city and invite people to Church on Sunday which was always held at a different convention center since we invited thousands each week. After Church we would invite our guests to Bible Studie where we had a full list of ways to convince them to Accept Jesus as the one who came to die on the cross for there Sins. Tell them to repent and be baptised and be born again and follow Christ's last words become a Fisher of Men. Make more disciples. This Church was well known in the US media as a CULT because of how easy they took in people and broke apart families or so the news said at the time this was the closest I ever felt to doing things "The Right Way" we all believed that all other religions and faiths are doomed it was our mission to convert the whole world to Christ. Before I joined this Church I was the one of the best student designers in school I made honors each time my grades came in and I worked a few jobs to pay for school. After joining the Church I became like a mad man. I guess it was because of the nature of the school... I remember I used my to love comic books and anime so I had a sketch book filled with designs of women for a comic book I wanted to create. While in class the students all came around and praised my drawings as great except for this one guy who came over and saw the nearly nude drawing of one female characther and said "You need Jesus!" as to shame me for my sin. This was Art School in Fort Lauderdale the whole invironment was full of nudity. Even had to spend 8 months in school drawing nude models in class for a grade I was an artist. But his words did cut me deep because I did not believe my heart even saw my drawings in that light but when I joined Church I wanted to repent. And we had to since the brother would call us 3 to 4 times per day and would ask us to confess our Sins. You had to tell them what you felt you did wrong today. Did you look at the people on the beach while on the bus to school? We went down the list of sins with yes and no anwers. This made us believe we were true Christians because we avoided sin and wished to be as pure as Jesus.

Because of my illness I had to be hospitalized often and because of the many hours spent on the streets asking people to come to Church my grades started to fall. I really felt overworked. I remember being very depressed one night and walked for hours around Fort Lauderdale just crying and praying to God to tell me what to do. I had a bunch of watch dogs telling me how I should live for Jesus but none of it made me feel any closer to God than when I was full of lusts and sins. The next day I ran away I left college and Fort Lauderdale and after the brothers told me I would never be saved and I would be surrounded by demons I rejected religion in my life and stopped praying for 10 years. I was getting sicker and lost many jobs became homeless a few times... when I had a home to stay I would work on my Art and Poetry and all of it was about women I felt alone but I was never without a girlfriend.

After the whole 9/11 thing the media never allowed you to forget about Muslims and Islam. They attacked it so hard that I felt like what was this about this was not the religion I studied about in 7th grade. I had grown to hate religion and started to think about learning more about Islam. Well I soon became homeless again and by the time I had found a new place I was really angry about my hardships. A friend who I had avoided because she liked me but she was a super religious Haitian sister, came back into my life telling me I should not live alone and that I needed God. We started dating and since she was penticostal and should not date I decided to give her way of life a try and if we could work it out we would be married. Well I went to Church 3 times per week. Her Church was 90 miles way in Long Island NY so she devoted her life to this since her Father who had died in a car crash in Haiti was a preacher from this same group of Churches. We talked and planned to marry... each time I talked to our pastor about it he did not seem to care much about it our tell us to Hurry to avoid sin. While in Church I would try so hard to get closer to God to avoid sin but the preaching always made me angry the interpretation of the Bible did no feel right to me. At one time the Pastor of Church praised my Girlfriend and her Sisters and told the story of how hard they worked for God after their father died. He went on to say these girls came from Haiti went to school had good jobs and now owned their own homes because they had Jesus in there lives. He then shocked me by saying THEY DID NOT NEED A MAN. So I had been dating this girl for over 3 years at this Church and many times told the pastor that I should be married and he said this without a care that I felt I was living in Sin. A few years after that I left the relationship and I left Church.

For a full year I was thinking of ending my life... I believed if there was a God he must have hated me... and sometimes I wanted to be like most of the world and not believe at all.

I heard Obama defend himself from accusations of being a muslim by saying he Prayed to Jesus everyday. What hit me was a question that came into my mind at the moment. What was so wrong about Praying to Allah?

Last Month I was on a video gaming forum where I spent most of my time online... in the Off Topic forum a guy posted he converted to Islam. The thread was full of amused haters but also full of congrats I also posted congrats there was another thread on this forum called the Islamic Thread where we could ask questions to muslim members of the forum. I asked many questions and started to google for my own anwers. I spent thanksgiving with my Godmother's family the woman who took me in after my mom died. I had not visited them in many years due to their voodoo practice... On the dinner table I told her I was about to convert to Islam so I told her I did not want to eat the pork. The news about india was on the TV and she commented that new she said wow this Hotel had a beautiful name. I asked which one? She replied Taj. She warned me not to get arrested and to becareful. Since she was like my second mother I did my best to reply to her fears. She even asked me why do the women cover their heads like that. I answered in a way she would understand due to her Catholic/Voodoo beliefs... I said Mary is highly respected in Islam and pointed to her framed image of Mary with her head covered. I know it was about modesty but I also knew she really knew nothing about the real Mary. So I left it at that. The next day I found my local Islamic Center and asked the brothers inside... I was shocked it was not some non-profit group's office but a Masjid I asked about converting to Islam a few hours later it was done.

I am very protective of my faith now, I am very careful not to fall into the same religious traps I have faced in my path. I am taking things slow and submit myself to Allah's Guidance. My main error while seeking God all this time was allowing men to guide me. This is very dangerous because this makes your guides to seem as god, whatever they said to judge your path you followed without question to please them. But you are not called to serve or worship any other but Allah. I was so wrong in trying to please everyone. I am careful now although I am humbled by the lack of knowledge about Islam I can already see the dangers of following an elder and his ways. I am at peace with that because Allah has already provided an easy guide to how I should live my life. His Prophet Muhammad (peace be unto him). So I do not have to fall into the same mistakes of wanting to be acceptable to men but I can learn about how the Prophet lived and do my best to follow what pleases Allah.

I'm sorry this is so long but this is the greatest thing to happen to me in my life

Allah knows best

PropellerAds
tl:dr.

:sl:

If it's too long for you to have an interest in reading, that's fine. There are dozens of others who might benefit from it. But there's really no reason to diminish the value of the article by quoting an internet meme intended to undermine people's words.

:sl:

If it's too long for you to have an interest in reading, that's fine. There are dozens of others who might benefit from it. But there's really no reason to diminish the value of the article by quoting an internet meme intended to undermine people's words.

sl.gif

Agreed, that wasn't necessary

I find this article extremely helpful, for it tells me i'm not the only one who felt this way when I converted. Almost every aspect like the Obama and the 9/11 parts described how I felt exactly. I support Obama in no way, but I don't see what would be so bad if he did call himself muslim.

Muslims aren't bad people, I wish the world would realize this. Everyday I hear the same old "radical Islam is still Islam cuz it's got da name Islam in it"

NO it's NOT.

Great story, thank you for sharing!

Salaam

sl.gif

Agreed, that wasn't necessary

I find this article extremely helpful, for it tells me i'm not the only one who felt this way when I converted. Almost every aspect like the Obama and the 9/11 parts described how I felt exactly. I support Obama in no way, but I don't see what would be so bad if he did call himself muslim.

Muslims aren't bad people, I wish the world would realize this. Everyday I hear the same old "radical Islam is still Islam cuz it's got da name Islam in it"

NO it's NOT.

Great story, thank you for sharing!

Salaam

Asalaamu alaikum, What we have to realise is that it is ONLY the media who have purposley portrayed Islam in this false light and put fear into peoples hearts that Muslims are terrorists etc. There are still MANY open minded people who don't blindly absorb whatever the media say's. It only takes some research to know the real truth behind things. The media have an agenda and we just have to look at who actually controls the media to know what their agenda is.

Despite the media's attempt to try and defame Islam and put fear into people's hearts, Islam is RAPIDLY on the increase especially in the west where it is the FASTEST growing way of life! We can thank the media for this because of their coverage of Islam which makes people want to look into Islam more and once they themselves research into Islam properly and find out what it's really and truly about that's when they realise that the way the media falsly try to portray it is so far beyond the truth and they realise that it is the ONLY way of life that makes logical sense and Allah opens up their hearts to the truth.

Islam is significantly increasing in the west and i pray that Allah makes EVERYONE realise the REAL truth because the truth will ALWAYS prevail over lies and deception!