Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ahm

CV and Resume Advice

:D

I'll try and help as much as I can. I'll suggest some good links and books I find aswell :D

Anyone else is welcome to contribute advice too!

PropellerAds

If you don't have much to put down, put down vague things that you do occasionally such as say - Running - When you put it down don't word it like this:

"I occasionally enjoy exercise as part of extra curricula activities."

and word them as such:

"I enjoy frequent exercise such as running, so much so I that I have joined a Gym around the London area in order to keep in good health and frequently attend various classes at the Gym mentioned, I feel such an endeavour is not only important but necessary as physical education is an important precursor to a good education as it shows the extent of an individual's dedication to a certain cause.

Which of course can be transferred into other areas, particurlarly academic studies where dedication to a cause, e.g. My Thesis, is one of the, if not the most important factors contributing to a successful grade at the end of the course.

I feel it has assisted me in the past with other academic endeavours such as those at Secondary and even Primary Education and thus the reason for my justification for this and many other extra-curricula activities as important parts of life singurlarly as well as inextricably being linked to Academia itself."

See? Sounds much better

Edited by Greek-Cypriot

Asalaamualaikum

always begin your Personal Statements in a way that will catch the admissions dept's eye. I.e. dont start with "i want to study" "i am applying because". etc.

"the concept of", a smart quote, anything, just aslong as your original and catchy. jump sytraight in, dont waffle too much, make the rythm of your personal statement quick yet informative of all the necessary criteria you know theyre looking for.

Try and use sophisticated diction but make sure you know exactly what they mean otherwiser they;'ll catch you out and your points will decrease.

Be interesting!! Try not to sound like all you ever do is think about that job, as if you've dreamed of being a banker all your life kind of thing... try and show them how you have a personal/social life at the same time as working hard to achieve your goal to get this job/place at uni... It shows them that you can juggle multiple tasks, also shows them ur flexible, and that you're basically not a nerd. But remember to be honest. If you want to "pretend" make sure you know the A-Z about the thing your pretending your good at!! they WILL ask you about it if you go to an interview! It's always best not to lie though, lieing only gets u in trouble!!!

End your personal statement with a well-rounded conclusion, summarise your previous points and tie them into why it all goes towards you being the ideal candidate for that course at uni or job. Really sell yourself here.

Make sure you sound confident but never sound too co.ck.ey because no body likes a smart-a.ss! Just let them know that you're ideal

Good things to talk about. Before wirting up your Pers.Stat, jot downa few notes on the following.

Team work = talk about your skills and qualities that enable you to set up and run a good team, this is ideal for anybody applying for a job where you share tasks, or courses where you will have to work in teams many times to tackle an assignment or some sortof problem solving. Skills they look for in this are - Flexibility: are you willing to take on the work of one of your team members if they fall sick, as well as get your own work done?

- Punctuation: Are you organised enough to get all your work sorted, and be in time to meet deadlines?Have you set yourself clear time-scales etc?

- Leadership: can you keep your team aswell as yourself motivated?, can you make sure all your team know what theyre doing and are prepared for the following tasks? are all the resources you need provided - (thinking ahead, preventing future problems)

There's alot more to this but this is all i could remember off the top of my head.

Achievements - talk about any achievements in life and ALWAYS state how they relate to the job/course you are applying for.

Qualifications - same as above. Also say why you enjoyed the subject, how the particular subjects relate to the course/job. How the grades you recieved in your qualification e.g. AAB in A-levels : how that dmirrors the fact that you are a motivated and dedicated person etc.

Why This Course/Job? - anything and everything that has sparked off your interest. This usually sounds excellent in the introductory paragraph.

In America, sometimes you need references for things. If they aren't asking for references, in the end or something (depending on what format you're making your resume) write:

references: available upon request (something along those lines)