Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mullah_Din

Understanding Jihad

Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullaahi Wa Barakaatuh

I hope all is well. Aameen.

Misconceptions, slander, lies!!!!!!

Please find attached, an article I wrote about JIHAD. Al Hamdu Lillaah, with the grace of Allah Taa'la, a leadinf mainstream newspaper published it too. Allah U AKBAR

You may download and photocopy and even distribute. Spread the true meaning of JIHAD.

Wassalaam Ma'al Ikraam,

=================================

UNDERSTANDING JIHAD

In the Light of The Holy Qur’an & Sunnah

Written by (Maulana) Sahibzada Hafeezud Din Ghore Gushtawi

Proof-read & typed by Bilal Shah

Jihad is an Arabic word, the root of which is Jahada, which means to strive for a better way of life. The nouns are Juhd, Mujahid, Jihad and Ijtihad. The other meanings are: endeavour, strain, exertion, diligence and fighting to defend one's life, land and religion.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jihad should not be confused with Holy War; the latter does not exist in Islam nor will Islam allow its followers to be involved in a Holy War. The former refers to the Holy War of the Crusaders.

The word for war in the Qur’an is “Harb” or “Qitaal”. Jihad means serious and sincere struggle on the personal as well as on the social level. It is a struggle to do good and to remove injustice, oppression and evil from the society. This struggle should be spiritual as well as social, economic and political. Jihad is to work hard to do right things. In the Holy Qur’an this word is used in its different forms 33 times. It often comes with other Qur’anic concepts such as faith, repentance, righteous deeds and migration.

Jihad is never a tool of waging war against the innocents; it's never a means of flexing muscles or bullying the weak and oppressed. Jihad in Islam is something unique, established to defend the divine message from being eliminated or hindered by its enemies.

Jihad is not a war to force the faith on others, as many people think of it. It should never be interpreted as a way of compulsion of the belief on others, since there is an explicit verse in the Holy Qur'an that says: "There is no compulsion in religion." (Al-Qur'an: Al-Baqarah (2:256).

Jihad is to protect one’s faith and one’s human rights. Jihad is not a war always although it can take the form of war. Islam is the religion of peace, but it does not mean that Islam accepts oppression. Islam teaches that one should do one’s utmost to eliminate tension and conflict. Islam promotes non-violent means to bring change and reform. Actually, Islam urges that one should eliminate evil through peaceful means without the use of force as much as possible. In Islamic history from the time of the Prophet Hadhrat Muhammad-ur Rasullullaah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) until now, Muslims most of the time resisted oppression and struggled for liberation in non-violent and peaceful manners.

Jihad is not a defensive war only, but a war against any unjust regime. If such a regime exists, a war is to be waged against the leaders, but not against the people of that country. People should be freed from the unjust regimes and influences so that they can freely choose to believe in Allah Taa’la.

Not only in peace but also in war Islam prohibits terrorism, kidnapping and hijacking when carried against civilians. Whoever commits such violations is considered a murderer in Islam and is to be punished by the Islamic state. During wars, Islam prohibits Muslim soldiers from harming civilians, women, children, elderly and the religious men like priests and rabbis. It also prohibits cutting down trees and destroying civilian constructions. (We have seen quite the opposite actions taking place in wars led by the so-called givers of freedom and democracy taking place in Afghanistan and Iraq).

The basic rules of war in Islam are:

1. Be strong so that your enemy fear you and should not attack you. (This will avoid casualties and fatalities)

2. Do not begin the hostilities. Work for peace as much as possible.

3. Fight only those who fight, no collective punishment; non-combatants should not be harmed. Weapons of mass destruction should not be used.

4. Stop hostilities as soon as the other party is inclined to peace.

5. Observe the treaties and agreements as long as the enemy observes them.

Muslims are commanded in the Holy Qur'an to "Enjoin good and forbid evil." (Al-Qur’an: 9:112).

Essentially, Jihad is an effort to practice religion in the face of oppression and persecution. The effort may come in fighting the evil in your own heart, or in standing up to a dictator. Military effort is included as an option, but as a last resort and not "to spread Islam by the sword" as the stereotype would have you believe, although, some Western scholars have repudiated the myth of Muslims forcing others to convert. The great historian De Lacy O'Leary wrote: "History makes it clear, however, that the legend of fanatical Muslims, sweeping through the world and forcing Islam at the point of sword upon conquered races is one of the most fantastically absurd myths that historians have ever repeated.”

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(Islam At Crossroads, London, 1923, page 8)

Islam teaches proper ethics in the situation of war also. The war is permissible in Islam, but only when other peaceful means such as dialogue, negotiations and treaties fail. It is a last resort and should be avoided as much as possible. Its purpose is not to convert people by force, or to colonize people or to acquire land or wealth or for self-glory. Its purpose is basically: defence of life, property, land, honour and freedom for oneself as well as defence of others from injustice and oppression.

Islam never tolerates unprovoked aggression from its own side; Muslims are commanded in the Holy Qur'an not to begin hostilities, embark on any act of aggression, violate the rights of others or harm the innocent. Even hurting or destroying animals or trees is strictly forbidden. War is waged only to defend the religious community against oppression and persecution, because "persecution is worse than slaughter" and "let there be no hostility except to those who practice oppression" (Al-Qur’an: 2:190-193). Therefore, if non-Muslims are peaceful or indifferent to Islam, there is no justified reason to declare war on them.

The Holy Qur'an describes those people who are permitted to fight:

"They are those who have been expelled from their homes in defiance of right, for no cause except that they say, 'Our Lord is Allah.' Did not Allah check one set of people by means of another, there would surely have been pulled down monasteries, churches, synagogues, and masajid, in which the name of Allah is commemorated in abundant measure..." (Al-Qur’an: 22:40).

Here we must note that the above verse specifically commands the protection of all houses of worship. Forcing someone at the point of a sword to choose death or Islam is an idea that is foreign to Islam in spirit and in historical practice. There is absolutely no question of waging a "holy war" to "spread the faith" and induce people to embrace Islam; that would be an unholy war and the people's forced conversions would not be sincere. However, everyone must have the right to "strive" for the freedom to choose and practice their own faith, free from persecution and oppression.

Jihad covers up practically four areas in the Islamic cause:

1) Teaching people the message of Islam: Any plans or steps of making Da`wah is a kind of Jihad.

2) Disciplining one's soul: Any disciplinary work for improving one's faith and behaviour is Jihad. Refraining from wrongdoing and not following satanic ways is Jihad.

3) Spending money in the cause of Islam: Jihad with money is mentioned in many verses of the Glorious Qur’an. Sometimes, it comes before Jihad with the soul. This type of Jihad is strategic in any plan for working in the cause of Islam.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

4) Combating the enemy: The Holy Qur'an uses another term for combating. In Arabic, the term is Qitaal. So Qitaal in the Qur'an (combating) is the fourth implementation of Jihad.

Thus, it is the universality of its teachings that makes Islam the fastest growing religion in the world. In a world full of conflicts and deep schisms between human beings, a world that is threatened with terrorism, perpetrated by individuals and states, Islam is a beacon of light that offers hope for the future.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Therefore, it becomes crystal clear that Islam, the true religion of Allah Taa’la, doesn’t permit aggression, violence, injustice or oppression. At the same time, it calls to morality, justice, tolerance and peace!

LET’S CONCLUDE WITH A SHORT POEM:

Ya Allah ! Our creator, we are all just pieces of clay.

Please help us with our steps in life; let us not lose our way.

All praises are for you Allah; I know that you are near.

I know that you have read my heart and my words I know you hear.

Idara Misbah ul Qur’an (Int)

In the Light of The Holy Qur’an & Sunnah

Written by

(Maulana) Sahibzada Hafeezud Din Ghore Gushtawi

Proof-read & typed by

Bilal Shah of CROYDON

38, Manor Farm Road,

Greet,

Birmingham,

B11 2HU.

Tel: 0121 707 3175 / 07949 205 837

E-Mail: misbahulquran[at]hotmail(contact admin if its a beneficial link)

mullah_h_din[at]yahoo.co.uk

=================================

jihad_LEAFLET_.doc

PropellerAds

:sl:

Please don't read this article, brothers and sisters. It is full of false ideas and flat-out wrong concepts that are insulting to the actual meaning of jihaad in Islam, Prophet Muhammad :sl:, Prophet 'Eesa ('alayhissalam), the sahabah and tabi'een and the righteous salaf, and the religion itself.

Reading that article will not increase your knowledge on jihaad, it will only decrease your knowledge and fill your head up with junk.

I don't think it is right to make a claim and not back it up, so inshaAllah I will back up my claim with proof from Qur'an and sunnah and lives of sahabah. I have to go now but I will be back b'ithnillah to make the post.

Edited by daconcor

Please don't read this article, brothers and sisters. It is full of false ideas and flat-out wrong concepts that are insulting to the actual meaning of jihaad in Islam, Prophet Muhammad :sl:, Prophet 'Eesa ('alayhissalam), the sahabah and tabi'een and the righteous salaf, and the religion itself.

Reading that article will not increase your knowledge on jihaad, it will only decrease your knowledge and fill your head up with junk.

I don't think it is right to make a claim and not back it up, so inshaAllah I will back up my claim with proof from Qur'an and sunnah and lives of sahabah. I have to go now but I will be back b'ithnillah to make the post.

Daconcor

Due respects to you (I DO NOT WANT TO BE OFFENSIVE), but, what do you know about the Qur'an and Sunnah? What do you want to prove? May I ask, are you a scholar?

Dear brother Mullah_Din,

Masha'Allah, an excellent article, backed from the Quran and sunnah. Alhamdo l'Ellah, this forum's policy was always inline with the same definitions that your article explained. I'm glad that you joined this forum, and insha'Allah with your knowledge you'll be an asset to the forum, helping us correct the many misconceptions that are spread nowadays unjustly about Islam, not only from the enemies of Islam, but even from some of the less knowledgeable among us.

Jazakum Allahu khayran :sl:

Dear brother Mullah_Din,

Masha'Allah, an excellent article, backed from the Quran and sunnah. Alhamdo l'Ellah, this forum's policy was always inline with the same definitions that your article explained. I'm glad that you joined this forum, and insha'Allah with your knowledge you'll be an asset to the forum, helping us correct the many misconceptions that are spread nowadays unjustly about Islam, not only from the enemies of Islam, but even from some of the less knowledgeable among us.

Jazakum Allahu khayran :sl:

Dear Dot

Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullaahi Wa Barakaatuh

Thank you for your words of wisdom as I was about to leave the forum as I had no intentions of hurting anyone - I know the consequences and a practice our beloved Prophet, Hadhrat Muhammad-ur Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) did not approve of. With your du'aas, I will be posting more articles as such, Insha Allah.

Remember me in your du'aas.

Wassalaam Ma'al Ikraam,

Assalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahee wa Barakatu

I must admit that in the beginning I totally disagreed with this article and I had the same reply as the other brother in mind, but fortunately something held me back from this, because when I read I just sifted through the text without reading it carefully and as soon I read it carefully is totally agree with this text. Lukily, I was withheld from posting, otherwise I would have embarrassed myself.

Sometimes it is a matter of reading and listening carefully. I guess many disputes happen because people don't read and listen carefully and patiently.

I have been reading The Sealed Nectar and I have to admit that the article is according to what I read there. I already reading about the Battle of Badr, the Battle of Uhud and the Battle of the Trench which give me an insight of how the battles proceeded. During the Battle of Badr the Muslims were attacked by about 1300 Qurayshi soldiers, but only 70 of them were killed. This shows that the Muslims did not ride out to kill all of them. The Battle of Badr was like a revenge war against the leaders of Quraysh such as the Pharaoh of Quraysh, Abu Jahl and the worst enemies of Muhammad salla Allahu alayhi wa sallam. This war was like a judgement day for them, because of the persecution and torture that happened in Makkah to the Muslims. It was a punishment similar to the punishment of the people of Ad through the Tornado or the people of Thamud through the Awful Cry. During the battle of Uhud the maximum of casualties on the Qurayshite sites was about thirty-five soldiers from 3000 total soldiers.

There was no Battle of Makkah or the Battle of Ta'if, because the Army of Muhammad did not wage war in Makkah or Ta'if.

The Battle of the Trench was a very interesting battle. Here the goal was not to kill as much as possible, but to avert a bloodshed. They build the trench to avert the confrontation.

Only the execution of the men from Banu Quraizah Jews seems to be harsh, but the prophet did not think about this until Jibreel alayhissalam told Muhammad salla Allahu alayhi wa sallam to take care of Banu Quraizah.

The Treaty of Hudaybiyah is another wonderful example of the peaceful religion. The goal of the Muslims were definitely not bloodshed, but to be secure and safe in their homeland.

There were many battles throughout the life of the Prophet, but the prophet only fought in physical battle for One and a half days.

The Holy Qur'an describes those people who are permitted to fight:

"They are those who have been expelled from their homes in defiance of right, for no cause except that they say, 'Our Lord is Allah.' Did not Allah check one set of people by means of another, there would surely have been pulled down monasteries, churches, synagogues, and masajid, in which the name of Allah is commemorated in abundant measure..." (Al-Qur’an: 22:40).

Here we must note that the above verse specifically commands the protection of all houses of worship. Forcing someone at the point of a sword to choose death or Islam is an idea that is foreign to Islam in spirit and in historical practice. There is absolutely no question of waging a "holy war" to "spread the faith" and induce people to embrace Islam; that would be an unholy war and the people's forced conversions would not be sincere. However, everyone must have the right to "strive" for the freedom to choose and practice their own faith, free from persecution and oppression.

This is actually a great example that the aim of the Muslims is not to coerse the people, because the priests, monks, bishops, pope, and rabbis are those who practice kufr more that the soldiers. The soldiers are usually less religious that priests and rabbis, but because these priests and rabbis don't fight against the Muslims they are not to be harmed.

Remember, the the Muslims even did not wage war against the hypocrites such a Abdullah ibn Ubay and his accomplices althoght they were more harmful to the Muslims than the Mushrikeen of Quraysh. Although the Jews and hypocrites conspired against the Muslims they were not harmed unless there was an act of treason like the treason of Banu Quraizah.

Church people such as pope and bishops are the mastermind of kufr and shirk but it is not allowed to harm them and to destroy their churches and monasteries. They are more kuffar than the soldiers who may not follow his religion but just runs after dunya.

Topic moved here from Basic Islamic Discussions by Freedslave, 19 Oct '07