Islamic Forum
Mahid

Face Veil To Be Banned In Maldives

:sl:

MALE', October 17, 2007 (Haveeru News Service) -- President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom has asked the Supreme Council of Islamic Affairs to prohibit anyone from wearing any clothes which hide their identities while in public.

In a letter dated October 10, the President said that he sought to reinforce the ban on the face-covering veil or abaya and masks following the September 29 bombing of Sultan Park in Male' which injured 12 foreign tourists. The decision was taken upon the advise of a Cabinet committee, the President's Office said.

Though the Government had some years ago prohibited anyone from wearing masks which cover their faces or wear the abaya, some extremists and purists started resorting to the attire after the Government loosened its grip on Maldivian public life following the September 2003 riots.

In recent months, especially after the tsunami of December 2004, some women have been found wearing the abaya in defiance of the earlier prohibition, while men wearing masks recently confronted Police and the Military in North Ari atoll Himandhoo island when police sought to arrest a suspect there connected to the Sultan Park bombing.

In the letter addressed to the Council's President Sheikh Mohamed Rasheed Ibrahim, and copied to five other government agencies, the President requested authorities to do all that was possible to make the Maldivian people aware of the dangers of extremism and on the virtue of continuing to practice the moderate brand of Islam which had been practiced here for more than 800 years.

If advising extremists to return to the moderate path does not work, the President requested the Council to then resort to legal measures against them.

Last week, the President's Office also sent letters to the Education Ministry and the Higher Education Ministry requesting them to take measures to counter extremism.

In the letter to Education Minister Zahiya Zareer dated October 8, the President requested her to revise the Islamic curriculum for the Center for Higher Secondary Education, the government-run high school in the capital, where some students were found to practice extremism.

In the letter sent to the Higher Education Ministry dated October 10, the President asked its acting head Abdul Rasheed Hussain to stop the spreading of extremist ideas at the Faculty of Sharia and Law, stop Maldivians from going abroad to study in clandestine institutions, and not to accredit any educational qualifications bestowed by such suspect institutions.

The Islamist Adaalath Party yesterday held a press conference cautioning that not everyone who wears the abaya or grows a beard should be branded as an extremist.

"Abaya is a part of Islam," insisted Dr. Abdul Majeed Abdul Bari, the chair of the party's Islamic scholars' council. "What is contested among scholars is whether it is a must or not."

He pointed out that the Government "allows people to act outside the tenets of Islam", which some believe was a reference to women who do not wear the head scarf.

Majeed, who also works at the Supreme Council of Islamic Affairs, said that Gayoom seeking to reinforce the ban on the abaya "will only add fuel to the fire."

PropellerAds

Topic moved here from Basic Islamic Discussions by Freedslave, 19 Oct '07

Peace,

If wearing the veil does not harm anybody else then there is no reason to ban it. (In my view the veil harms nobody.)

^But some people like to associate face veil with extremism and oppression, make a big fuss about it and try to ban it.

Hi

I in NO way agree with this type of law, but maybe you can understand why they do it. In the paranoid world we live in today governments are getting silly ideas. Like in the UK they are trying to ban what we call "Hoodies" ( just a sports top with a hood that covers your hair & face partly ). Because some silly people use them to commit crimes so everyone has to suffer. I think its the same with this law, after all thats happened lately.

Peace

Peace,

But some people like to associate face veil with extremism and oppression, make a big fuss about it and try to ban it.

This is true, the same happened in Scotland actually. For a period it was illegal to wear a kilt as it showed alliance with the Jacobites, all the ban did was arouse the passion of those who would not otherwise have been Jacobites and they wore kilts as a sign of defiance against the authorities. These sorts of bans are always counter-productive. If in the case of the veil some women are forced to wear it, banning the veil would seem a silly course of action. One could make 'forcing' somebody into wearing a veil a crime, but not the veil itself as I'm sure most of the people who wear it do so voluntarily.

Peace

Hi

I in NO way agree with this type of law, but maybe you can understand why they do it. In the paranoid world we live in today governments are getting silly ideas. Like in the UK they are trying to ban what we call "Hoodies" ( just a sports top with a hood that covers your hair & face partly ). Because some silly people use them to commit crimes so everyone has to suffer. I think its the same with this law, after all thats happened lately.

Peace

Yeah some silly people once or twice used face veil when they carried out their crimes but in this particular incident nobody used a face veil. What was used instead was a phone (other materials aswell) so they should actually ban the use of phones instead :sl:

this is because of the so called terrorists using veil to hide themselves and because if that people want women to show their faces, if anyone is to blame its these terrorists, they should have thought hard before using veils to hide themselves....

this is because of the so called terrorists using veil to hide themselves and because if that people want women to show their faces, if anyone is to blame its these terrorists, they should have thought hard before using veils to hide themselves....

Which terrorists, exactly, do you speak of? Please, bring me the articles, or whatever proof you have. Then, kindly explain to me why they are terrorists.

Covering your face with a veil - especially in the West - brings more attention to yourself. So it's not really a disguise for 'evil terrorists.'

Hi all

Which terrorists, exactly, do you speak of? Please, bring me the articles, or whatever proof you have.

I think this is what he was talking about. (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yettimesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article666149.ece"]From the Times online.[/url]

explain to me why they are terrorists.

Well its says "The suspect’s name and the detail of the offences he is accused of cannot be revealed because of the danger of prejudicing his forthcoming trial." If the trials over now i could try find out the apparent offences if you want to know. :sl:

All happening made me think...Are Muslim men "allowed" by Islamic law to even wear womens clothing?

Peace

Edited by Suppersion

Also

Anila Baig, a columnist on The Sun newspaper, reported that at Leeds-Bradford airport no member of security had asked her to remove her niqab to check her identity against her passport picture.

They have been quite fair i think, i mean noway could anyone ( but a Muslim women ) be able to walk in an airport and go through security with there head/face covered. I as a white male would be stopped and arrested for trying.

But questions of security have tended to be overruled by the need to maintain good community relations.

On a second thought, Would any Muslim Women here feel offended if they were ask to check there face against there passport picture? Something Every other person of any nation/religion is bound to do by law.

Peace

I wonder whether anyone will abide by it , by the way.

I was told that a similar announcement was there in 1993, but lol non abided the law

I think the Modldivian leader just want to be world famous or may he is just using it to get more fund for his government from the West.

assalaam alaikum

well no one can say that for sure.only Allah(sbw) knows best what the president has in his mind.

but can you believe it.he is trying to ban niqab-which is a part of Islam although scholars have different says about it,it is still a part of Islam.and you know what, he calls himself a muslim :sl: .i hope i am not insulting anyone here :sl: .Allah knows best.it is just that i feel so angry when i remember that.when i first heard about it i was like-oh give me a break.what else would they ban?

if they feel that covering your face makes you a terrorist and are banning it,they should ban the use of mobile phones as bro mahid has said

I don't think he feels covering your face makes you a terrorist .What he does think is that it has not been the habit of the muslim women there to do so in the past . And to do so now , indicates the presence of radical teaching which infact intimidates women into wearing them .

And when that radical teaching exists ....bombings follow such as happened in the Maldives . And tourism is their life-blood economy .

And if you think muslim women are not being intimidated into wearing face veils ., then you are not paying attention to what is going on in the world .

In the UK , in certain areas , even muslim men are being harrassed and threatened for not having a beard .

Do you deny this ?

The face veil and wearing a beard are not requirements of Islam .

Radical muslim extremists make their presence known by intimidating the muslims in their area of influence into doing this .

The president of the Maldives who is himself a muslim knows this . And hetakes notice of the change is more than coincidental with the recent bombing .

If a muslim man or woman chooses to do this freely , there is no problem , but when intimidation occurs , no matter how subtle , it is wrong , and is usually an indicator of radical teaching .

There are even muslim communities in America where the women who do not wear face-veils are harrassed and intimidated , so too in Canada as well as the UK .

Do you deny this ?

So what is the real issue here ?

Freedom of religious expression ? Or the imposition of religious oppression ?

I wonder whether anyone will abide by it , by the way.

I was told that a similar announcement was there in 1993, but lol non abided the law

So I think what I said there was correct.... I recently saw one lady with face veil on the main road in the capital city (male'). She was like oh ye, let me see who is going to stop me..(No insult intended) Good that she stays firm.. May Allah guide us all to the true path.

Yes , it is good that she remains firm ...as long as it is her free choice , and by making a law , that will keep it a free choice , and hopefully prevent intimidation , as that was the purpose of the law . Religiously there is nothing in the Qu'ran that requires it . It is a matter of personal modesty , which should always be the personal choice of the individual women , and never the choice imposed by peers .

Whatever the excuse, making a law to ban face veil is wrong. Beowulf, if you are consistent with freedom of choice, then you should be against this law no matter what the excuse.

Wassalam,

Yasnov

Whatever the excuse, making a law to ban face veil is wrong. Beowulf, if you are consistent with freedom of choice, then you should be against this law no matter what the excuse.

Wassalam,

Yasnov

I am consistent , that is why laws are made ...to keep things fair . Apparently the president of the Maldives is aware of the fact that many muslim women are intimidated into wearing body coverings . And there is the matter of the greater good . If radical teaching and behavior predominates the result will be what has been already witnessed ....bombings , and if bombings become tyical , their entire economy goes down the drain .

And that economy is precisely what keeps the people fed and clothed .

I am consistent , that is why laws are made ...to keep things fair . Apparently the president of the Maldives is aware of the fact that many muslim women are intimidated into wearing body coverings . And there is the matter of the greater good . If radical teaching and behavior predominates the result will be what has been already witnessed ....bombings , and if bombings become tyical , their entire economy goes down the drain .

And that economy is precisely what keeps the people fed and clothed .

Translation = follow our ways or we will bomb you.

Translation = follow our ways or we will bomb you.

Indeed , that seems to have been the message in the first bombing .

I am consistent , that is why laws are made ...to keep things fair . Apparently the president of the Maldives is aware of the fact that many muslim women are intimidated into wearing body coverings . And there is the matter of the greater good

That's all your opinions, Beowulf : )

Wassalam,

Yasnov

Indeed , that seems to have been the message in the first bombing .

what an angelic thing to do .....