Islamic Forum
Muhsinmuttaqi

Eating Question

Eating Question  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer

• Food that Fills up the Stomach, but does not make fat
    • Food that makes fat, but does not fill up the stomach
  2. 2. How do you prefer to eat? I am not talking about soup but solid food such as rice and curry

• With fingers and hands
    • Using fork
    • Using spoon
  3. 3. What are other things you prefer while eating? MULTIPLE CHOICE

• I prefer standing while eating
    • I prefer to sit while eating
    • I prefer vegetarian food
    • I prefer alot of meat
    • I prefer the cuisine of my spouse to that of the restaurant
    • I love spicy food such as curry, tandoori and padang food
    • I prefer less spicy food
    • My cooking is good
    • I always eat with the right hand
    • When I eat I am always grateful to Allah
    • I remember the starving people around the world when I eat
    • I complain too much about food
    • My Mom is the best cook
    • I like fiery hot spicy food such as chili and sambal
    • I prefer no hot spicy food at all
    • When I eat with my fingers, I like to lick my fingers
    • When I eat soup I clean the bowl with my tongue
    • When I eat I give some food to my pets when they are begging
    • Giving human food to pets is a waste
    • I want to drink milk and honey and wine mixed with salsabil in Jannah as much as I want

Assalamu Alaykum

After finishing the spanking poll, I was suddenly thinking about food :sl:

Have fun anwering the questions.

Remember, that the last question is a Multi Choices Question.

Salam

PropellerAds

Assalamu Alaikum, Okay, nice poll, I am the one who gave my preferences, how about Br. muhsinmuttaqi the poll starter posting his views too, lol.

Just wanted to add, I do lick my fingers but only in the end.

Also, I did not click the last choice of the multiple choice question, because I don't like to mix up my drinks, in fact I do not even like to drink fruit punches, I like to enjoy each drink seperately, to ge it's full flavour.

Now I will check the spanking poll.

Assalamu Alaikum, umAhmad.

:sl:

Amusing poll, but..

"When I eat soup I clean the bowl with my tongue"?!..are you serious?

I thought only cats do that! lol

btw, allow me to give a little word of advise. I've noticed a high rate of using hands and fingers instead of forks and spoons. That is a health hazard, and would put off your guests and probably stop eating altogether. Even worse, some Muslims unfortunately mix between bad ethnic traditions, and Islamic teachings. Islam calls for everything tidy, healthy and clean. following a bad habit is one thing, and trying to justify it by sticking an Islamic label on it is another. The first is your own business, but the second constitutes a crime of slandering Islam and giving it a bad name that its far from. They used to eat like that in the days of prophet Muhammad :no: because spoons and forks were not produced yet. That's how people ate in Arabia, before Islam as well as at the time of the prophet :D Even in Europe.

Those who think that spoons and forks are bidaa just because our beloved prophet didn't use them, should abandon their cars, computers, electricity, jets, printed books and the web altogether, then abandon their forks and spoons. We live now in a contaminated world, and the environmental hazards are everywhere around us. This is far from the pure and clean environment of the Arabia desert 1400 years ago. I sincerely advise everyone to stop working their hands and fingers inside food, and instead, use what Allah :sl: made available for us: brains and utensils.

I wish you all good health, and delicious meals, free from germs and harmful bacteria.

:j:

I love spicy food :sl:

Your questions made me hungry!

Edited by Hira (Devout)

Brother dot its pretty hard to eat Naan bread with knife and fork but i will give it a try loool.

on a more serious note what you have said is very agreeable. :sl:

There wasn't an option for me as i like to eat with hands when eating certain food and otherwise its utensils.

I normally eat my food with a fork or spoon, but as brother slave said, if one eats Nan-bread, the use of the fingers is recommended lol. I love spicy food, though I don't eat it all the time- not good for the health now is it!

:sl: ammu for clearing that up for all of us! Eating manners is an etiquette and we must prevent ourselves from germs/bacteria as much as possible. Health is a blessing and must be taken care of.

Actually, spicy food is good for blood circulation and other healthy benefits. Unless one suffers from specific illnesses, like inflammations in the stomach or ulcer, chillis carry lots of benefits: Chillis are loaded with vitamin A, a potent antioxidant and boost to the immune system. As the pods mature and darken, high quantities of vitamin C are gradually replaced with beta carotene and the capsaicin levels are at their highest. Due to these capsaicin levels, some believe that eating chillis may have an extra thermic affect, temporarily speeding up the metabolic rate, hence burning off calories at a faster rate. Whatever, you certainly do sweat and actually cool down in hot climates as sweat evaporates. Your nose runs, your head clears ... you can breath! And with that extra flow of saliva, the gastric juices also flow. The alkaloids from the capsaicin stimulate the action of stomach and intestine improving the whole digestion process!

Subhan Allah, beyond soothing gastric wonders and taste delights, the very nature of fiery capsaicin has been medicinally beneficial down through the ages and put to use for some chronic health woes. These same heat inducing properties have a cumulative effect and over time are believed to alleviate pain when used in transdermal treatments for arthritis, nerve disorders (neuralgia), shingles and severe burns ... even cluster headaches. The mucus thinning properties promote coughing and can act as an expectorant for asthmatic conditions. Other claims are boosts to the immune system due to the antioxidants, lowering cholesterol, and blood thinning properties beneficial for the heart and blood vessels.

I like to have spicy foods, but I need to have a water container at the same time.... else forget it.. :sl: :sl:

Assalamu Alaikum, Okay, nice poll, I am the one who gave my preferences, how about Br. muhsinmuttaqi the poll starter posting his views too, lol.

Just wanted to add, I do lick my fingers but only in the end.

Also, I did not click the last choice of the multiple choice question, because I don't like to mix up my drinks, in fact I do not even like to drink fruit punches, I like to enjoy each drink seperately, to ge it's full flavour.

Now I will check the spanking poll.

Assalamu Alaikum, umAhmad.

Wa'alaykum Assalam

I guess before one or the tenth or even thousandth millennium is over you try some ####tails and punches Ala Jannah combined with other Jannah Cuisine such as poultry/birds that have necks like camels :sl:

Edited by muhsinmuttaqi

lol[at]water container :sl:

Sometimes water increases the fire in the mouth!

Salam

Don't ever try to extinguish the chili fire with soda drink/water. Drinking hot (instead of cold) water/tea (not boiling water) help extinguishing the heat of the chili.

Brother Dot, I agree with your first post. I have not eaten with hands except for dates, fruits, and bread. Dunya is always a mixture of pain and pleasure. There is nothing really pure, but pain is also combined with some pleasure. That is why it is not bad enough to be hellfire nor good enough to be Paradise.

I like spicy food but not fiery hot spicy. Here in El Paso there is a Native American restaurant. I somehow love their hot spicy food.

Jazaak Allahu kheyran 'ammu dot for the info, didn't know that. Though I'm still not all that much into too much spice in my food. I can eat it, and add some chilli sauce in my food sometimes, depending on the dish, but I can't handle too spiced-up food, it spoils the rest of the meal for me because I can't taste anything with all the heat in my mouth :j:.

Don't ever try to extinguish the chili fire with soda drink/water.

I'm always gulping down excess amounts of water when I can't handle the chilli. All it succeeds in doing is getting me full before I've even finished my plate. Thanks for the info akhi, I'll try to keep a cup of tea handy nearby whenever the meal consists of anything spicy/chilli :no: (what's the difference between chilli and spicy?).

I prefer eating with a fork, but if the food involves bread and dips (e.g. hummus, labnah), I usually use my hands, but only three fingers, as is sunnah (not more, not less).

And my mum is definitely the best cook :sl:.

Jazaak Allahu kheyran 'ammu dot for the info, didn't know that. Though I'm still not all that much into too much spice in my food. I can eat it, and add some chilli sauce in my food sometimes, depending on the dish, but I can't handle too spiced-up food, it spoils the rest of the meal for me because I can't taste anything with all the heat in my mouth :j:.

I'm always gulping down excess amounts of water when I can't handle the chilli. All it succeeds in doing is getting me full before I've even finished my plate. Thanks for the info akhi, I'll try to keep a cup of tea handy nearby whenever the meal consists of anything spicy/chilli :no: (what's the difference between chilli and spicy?).

I prefer eating with a fork, but if the food involves bread and dips (e.g. hummus, labnah), I usually use my hands, but only three fingers, as is sunnah (not more, not less).

And my mum is definitely the best cook :sl:.

Assalamu Alaykum

With spicy I meant spices such as cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, herbs, or curry, food that contains curry, cinnamon etc. Here is did not mean hot spicy.

As much as I wanted to vote that I prefer less fatty foods that fill you up....

I couldn't.

What can I say? I love junk food. Not too much of it, :no: just enough to satisfy my cravings.

Except when it comes to french fries. Put ten plates of french fries in front of me and I won't leave a single fry for you. :j:

Aslam o Alaiqum...

Hmmmm....Yummmy poll....but where is Food :sl:

I eat whts my moM :sl: .....cooks.. :j: ...

You should change the first group because I prefer neither, I prefer a mixture of both so I will neither fill my stomach not get fat.

Assalamu Alaykum

I purposely did not add the choices

a) Food that neither fills up the stomach nor makes you fat.

B) Food that both fills up the stomach and makes fat

because it would be obvious what you vote for.

I would like to know which of the two evils you would prefer if there is no other choice.

Assalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahee wa Barakatu

Padang Food comes from Western Sumatra, Indonesia, and is popular everywhere in Indonesia and looks like this:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_bg66.soc.i.kyoto-u.ac.jp/forestgps/indonesia_tourism/q28.jpg"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_bg66.soc.i.kyoto-u.ac.jp/forestgps/...tourism/q28.jpg[/url]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetstomp(contact admin if its a beneficial link).sg/stfoodiesclub/hawkerfare/10/2890829_180905pl28.jpg"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetstomp(contact admin if its a beneficial link).sg/stfoodiesclub/hawk..._180905pl28.jpg[/url]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetjohnnyjet(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/images/PicForNewsletterSingapore6252004LOCALFOOD.JPG"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetjohnnyjet(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/images/PicForNews...04LOCALFOOD.JPG[/url]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_marimakan(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/image_00053.jpg"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_marimakan(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/blog/wp-content/uploa...image_00053.jpg[/url]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_makanmakan.info/wp-content/dsc00468.JPG"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_makanmakan.info/wp-content/dsc00468.JPG[/url]

This was an interesting poll.

In regards to licking, I only do that when I eat with my husband or if I'm eating in a seperate plate. In general, I avoid it around others because I don't want anyone to be put off from eating, especially if I'm eating chips or something. Sometimes I even skip the licking in the end then because sometimes I'm not sure when I"m done, plus again, someone else might not have finished and the sight of that is not pretty to some people.

In regards to eating with hands, yes, that is the usual case for me. However, I won't eat pasta with my hands. I had to do that once because someone apparently was too extreme on the concept of bida that she took it to mean that it's everything. When I asked her if she had a fork in her house, she said, just eat with your hands like my husband and I do. I thought, ummm, weirdos, oh well, I'm hungry and since she doesn't, what more can I do! That wasn't a very good experience. So I know just what bro do means. I mean why don't such people stop using cars, faucets, toilets, bath tubs, and even electricity. No disrespect intended, but are they amish? Might as well go and live with them.

This was an interesting poll.

In regards to eating with hands, yes, that is the usual case for me. However, I won't eat pasta with my hands. I had to do that once because someone apparently was too extreme on the concept of bida that she took it to mean that it's everything. When I asked her if she had a fork in her house, she said, just eat with your hands like my husband and I do.

salaam...so you showed courtesy to your hosts...absolutely Islamic/humane/normal/sensible/apropriate/required/decent...when we eat at someone's place or eat someone's food we say the dua'a..allahumma baarik lahum fee ma razaqtahum v aghfir lahum var hamhum...(sunnah)

Assalamu Alaikum, Umammaar, I love you and respect you, No disrespect intended, but why would it be weird to eat pasta with your fingers, it has nothing to do with anything, My husband and I even eat spagetti with our fingers all the time, it has nothing to do with trying to be 1400 years back. We just feel happy when we do any little action the way RasoolAllah Sallallahu Alaihi Wa sallam did, that's the reason. But we eat things with spoons or from the cup, whatever is presented if we visit someone.

About using cars, computers, taps, tubs, etc. it is what is available here so we have no choice but to use those, we cannot travel on camels or Horses here, .............. but the day they allow Camels as convayance, most probably we might use them, not because it's a new fad but to copy the way of RasoolAllah Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam. But hands were available 1400 years ago and we still have hands, so if someone wants to use their fingers to eat like RasoolAllah Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam, then Alhamdulillah.

As for RasoolAllah Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam using fork and spoon if he lived today, WE DON'T KNOW, we cannot attribute things like that to him, because he is not there at the present time and we cannot presume he would have done this or that.

Saying all that, there is nothing wrong with eating with a fork or spoon, and there is nothing wrong with eating wih your fingers, as long as you follow the basic hygiene (which also our beloved Prophet has showed us) Alhamdulillah.

Take care, I am sorry, I do not intend to point fingers at anyone, this is just my personal thought, and anyone can disagree with me, Alhamdulillah.

Salaams and Duaas.

Ukhti, I agree with your post 100% and had you not shared it, I still share the same views on that. However, your post was not completely relevant to my previous post. You missed the point. Khair, :sl: it is the nature of the internet, but I can see how it was possible to misunderstand what I was saying. Therefore, I thank you for expanding on that subject and saving me the typing, in case others also misread what I said.

I have nothing against eating things like pasta with hands or following the sunnah. I admire that a lot. What I do have a problem with is someone NOT using things because they think that it is haram or bida, and that is how the people I was talking about are. They do not even keep a soap in their house. They have taken the mean to the extreme. Audhubillah, I was not calling adhering to the sunnah whenever possible weird. La howla wa la quwatta illah billah. I called those people weird because they don't see how inconsitent their logic is. I also neve dared to make any sort of claims regarding what the Rasul (sws) would or would not use. None of us would be able to guess, nor should we.

Allahul Mustaan. BarakAllahu feeki.