Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kai Thaabit

Are There Good Lies?

salam

IS THE SUCH THING AS A GOOD LIE?

FOR EXAMPLE SOMEONE IS VERY WORRIED AND IS TELL SOMETHING THAT IS NOT TRUE TO MAKE THIS PERSON LESS WORRIED?

IF LYING IS THE LESSER EVIL IS IT BETTER TO LIE?

THANKS

PropellerAds

Hello Kai - I can give you an answer as a Christian if that helps - but how it measures up to Islamic standards I don't know.

As a christian i believe that lies can be told - but ONLY IN CERTAIN MORAL DILEMMAS. Otherwise, the truth must always be told.

For example, the demand to know truth is not always legitimate, or legal, or reasonable (eg: hiding Jews in Nazi occupied lands). In those circumstances we are not obliged to reveal information that would be misused or abused.

But generally the rule is to always tell the truth.

:sl:

There are good lies. For example, Abraham(pbuh) lied on three occassions. His first lie was when he told his people that he was sick and thus couldn't come to a certain feast. He stayed away from the feast and went to smash the idols of his people. He only left the largest idol intact. After his people returned, they asked him who did this. He told them that the largest idol did it; this is his second lie. His third lie was to a tyrant when he told him that Sarah(ra) was his sister, although she was his sister in faith, she really wasn't his sister.

There are acceptable lies such as when you try to reconcile two people. You really have to view these things at a case by case basis. If, for example, two good friends were having a dispute and one said out of anger something bad you could say that he really didn't mean it. And if, for example, someone was worried, it would be okay to tell that it would be okay. But obviously you can't tell that person whatever you want to make him happy i.e. you can't paint to them a totally false picture . But a general saying like "it will fine" is fine.

Edited by Younes Ibn Abd' al-Aziz

salam

case1:

Someone is unemployed and trying to find a job, but it takes time. The parents are so worried and there is a lot of anxiety which bothers them a lot. The person tells them that he found a little job to make the feel calm down knowing that the father has medical problems with the heart which could cause more severe problems if stress increases. The person knows how the stress increases and how something like this could affect the parents physical and psychological health. this would be a lie to ease their pain.

case2:

Someone is unemployed and is not health insured because in Islam insurance is not allowed (this is what I was taught/gambling). however, his parents insist for him to be insured. the person pretends that he applied for insurance, but in reality did not. He was afraid to disappoint the parents who already decided to send the money for the insurance.

The first lie: The person pretends that he is insured. Reason: Does not want to disobey the parents, but also not to be sinful because of the insurance.

The second lie: The parents are sending the money for the purpose of financing the insurance, because the person is short of money, but he is not insured in reality. Now, the person is in the dilemma that he receives the money from the parents, but does not want to used the money for other than the insurance. Therefore, he decides to tell the parents that he found a job and through that job he is health insured. Now, the parents don't have to send the money anymore.

With this lie, this person would stop a fraud and the parents don't have to send the money for nothing.

Remember, this is a case study and the examples are hypothetical and general. This is not the counselling section. It is not a personal matter, but I just would like to discuss the Cases here.

Both cases you mentioned are sinful. They fall into the category of painting a false picture.

salam.

the only times i know of that is permissable to lie is when a life is in dange.

example:some beaten girl/guy is seeking refuge in your house from an attacker, so you let them in.

a few muinets later the attacker knocks on your door and asks if the girl/guy is in the hose. the answer would be no, since giving them away would violate their right to protection.

that is the only one i know of 100%.

one i THINK may be permissable is to defend the honour, or hide the shame or sins of another muslim.or to hide your own sins.

again thats only what i think, and i should really look that one up.

salam.

one i THINK may be permissable is to defend the honour, or hide the shame or sins of another muslim.or to hide your own sins.

again thats only what i think, and i should really look that one up.

You can't lie to hide your sins. You should tell a person that you cannot discuss your sins since revealing a sin which God has concealed is sinful itself, nor should you reveal the sins of others- This is a general guideline though. Obviously, it doesn't apply to all cases. For example, if murder was commited, you should confess. If a person asks you is this person trustworthy, for example, for marriage and he wants examples of the person's untrustyworthiness, then you should say things like they are. You have to have a good intuition when it comes to these things and you have to view them case by case. You also must not go into extremes. I've heard a lot of people justify sins, not necessarily lies, with the dumbest arguements. In most cases, the ends don't justify the means.

salam

case1:

Someone is unemployed and trying to find a job, but it takes time. The parents are so worried and there is a lot of anxiety which bothers them a lot. The person tells them that he found a little job to make the feel calm down knowing that the father has medical problems with the heart which could cause more severe problems if stress increases. The person knows how the stress increases and how something like this could affect the parents physical and psychological health. this would be a lie to ease their pain.

If the fathers health conditions is that bad, then the person is sort of forced to tell a lie to prvent the father from having a heart attack. But if the parents are muslim then they should not worry as much because worring causes stress which can lead to death. And if you worry yourself to death then you would have commited suicide. But i believe that if the mental condition of the person is so bad that they cannot rationally calm down then of course you would have to tell them that to keep them from getting sick.

case2:

Someone is unemployed and is not health insured because in Islam insurance is not allowed (this is what I was taught/gambling). however, his parents insist for him to be insured. the person pretends that he applied for insurance, but in reality did not. He was afraid to disappoint the parents who already decided to send the money for the insurance.

The first lie: The person pretends that he is insured. Reason: Does not want to disobey the parents, but also not to be sinful because of the insurance.

The second lie: The parents are sending the money for the purpose of financing the insurance, because the person is short of money, but he is not insured in reality. Now, the person is in the dilemma that he receives the money from the parents, but does not want to used the money for other than the insurance. Therefore, he decides to tell the parents that he found a job and through that job he is health insured. Now, the parents don't have to send the money anymore.

With this lie, this person would stop a fraud and the parents don't have to send the money for nothing.

Remember, this is a case study and the examples are hypothetical and general. This is not the counselling section. It is not a personal matter, but I just would like to discuss the Cases here.

This case the person is being very silly, if he doesent want to pay insurance what happens when he gets sick?? He would end up paying a hell of a lot more money than what his parents are sending him to be insured in the first place. He would be making the situation worst for his parents and his self. This is bad very bad,

Assalamu Aleykum Wa Rahmetula Wa Barakatuhu

Any lie just makes the things worse. One small lie can turn out to be a big lie(problem). Muhammad saws was a perfect Muslim and he never lied therefore we should try our best to not to lie.

Assalamu Alaikum, I was looking for these Ahadeeth for some time and Alhamdulillah finally found them, Assalamu alaikum.

MuslimBook 032, Number 6303:

Humaid b. 'Abd al-Rahman b. 'Auf reported that his mother Umm Kulthum daughter of 'Uqba b. Abu Mu'ait, and she was one amongst the first emigrants who pledged allegiance to Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him), as saying that she heard Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: A liar is not one who tries to bring reconciliation amongst people and speaks good (in order to avert dispute), or he conveys good. Ibn Shihab said he did not hear that exemption was granted in anything what the people speak as lie but in three cases: in battle, for bringing reconciliation amongst persons and the narration of the words of the husband to his wife, and the narration of the words of a wife to her husband (in a twisted form in order to bring reconciliation between them).

Sahih BukhariVolume 3, Book 49, Number 857:

Narrated Um Kulthum bint Uqba That she heard Allah's Apostle saying, "He who makes peace between the people by inventing good information or saying good things, is not a liar."