Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
world_footy_Gunner_laDy

Something For The Christians To Think About!

PropellerAds

How do Muslims reconcile the early Korans with the modern Koran? Specifically the "Satantic Verses" in which the Prophet accepted polytheism as part of Islam?

How do Muslims reconcile the early Korans with the modern Koran? Specifically the "Satantic Verses" in which the Prophet accepted polytheism as part of Islam?

Why do you believe such lies as the Satanic verses?

Give us your source. Where do you get it from, please don't tell me wiki...

:sl:

How do Muslims reconcile the early Korans with the modern Koran?

There is no such thing as the early Quran and the modern Quran, you need to get your facts right.

And please don't change the subject of this thread. If you want to talk about the Satanic verses you are free to open a new thread on this issue.

Edited by world_footy_Gunner_laDy

Go to you are not allowed to post links yetislamic-awareness(contact admin if its a beneficial link) and search for "Satanic Verses".

Thank you for the link to Islamic Awarness. Unfortunately I haven't time right now to read the whole article. To post a clip (forgive me if it is out of context):

The sources for the satanic verses, at-Tabari and Ibn Sa'd, are reputable Muslim sources for early Quranic commentary and Islamic history.

I admit "Satanic Verses" is a negative term... I could call it "Questionable Verses" as in there is writing in some of the early writing of the Koran that lists the Prophet as saying things that Muslims today consider blasphemy. It isn't a statement about the prophet, it's a statement about how the Koran was written.

Christians claim the Bible hasn't changed, Muslims claim the Koran hasn't changed and Jews claim that the Torah hasn't changed. How can this be so with books written over hundreds of years, hand copied thousands of times, memorized and recited by thousands of different people in thousands of different places?

Was every person correct? Before there was the universally accepted Koran, Bible and Torah, what was there? Many different books, writings and early forms of religious text existed (and according to the video continue to exist) and some MUST have ended up as part of our "Book."

I went to a presentation at Harvard University where they explained this (with a specific focus on the Bible). All religious texts have evolved.

For example, in all of history, do you believe someone may have written something inncorrectly in a copy of a Koran? Or made a mistake, or even just plain made up stories? Surely this happend several times. What are the chances the mistakes were corrected? Maybe most of the time, but other times the mistakes were slowly integrated.

If your going to ask me for specific sources, studies, and academic Ph. D. thesis (which I doubt you would trust anyway) it will take me hours to track them down. For now I suggest you relie on websites and your local library and a little dose of common sense.

I admit "Satanic Verses" is a negative term... I could call it "Questionable Verses" as in there is writing in some of the early writing of the Koran that lists the Prophet as saying things that Muslims today consider blasphemy. It isn't a statement about the prophet, it's a statement about how the Koran was written.

There is no mention of the Prophet(pbuh) saying anything blasphemous in the early writing of the Qur'an. If you think that "Satanic Verses/Questionable verses" were at one point written in the Qur'an, I am afraid you really haven't understood the topic of "Satanic Verses".

Christians claim the Bible hasn't changed, Muslims claim the Koran hasn't changed and Jews claim that the Torah hasn't changed. How can this be so with books written over hundreds of years, hand copied thousands of times, memorized and recited by thousands of different people in thousands of different places?

Everybody can claim that their holy book has not changed but it's a different matter when it comes to proving that actual, serious efforts were undertaken to preserve the text. If certain measures are taken to protect the text, then it is quite easy for a text to survive. You have to understand the methodology of scholarship in preserving the text. When you say that the books were written and recited by thousands of people, you make it sound like there was no common agreement between anybody and everybody just wrote what they felt like. This is far from the truth, the Qur'an was preserved in scholarly fashion.

For example, in all of history, do you believe someone may have written something inncorrectly in a copy of a Koran? Or made a mistake, or even just plain made up stories? Surely this happend several times. What are the chances the mistakes were corrected? Maybe most of the time, but other times the mistakes were slowly integrated.

Obviously, not every single copy of the Qur'an during the course of history is the same. There were scribal errors of course, but does that mean that the text has become lost or corrupted? No. The same goes for the Torah and any other book. Scribal errors are not corruptions. As for people adding or making up stories to be included in the Qur'an, that never happened. However, unintentional mistakes are a different matter; they happen to everybody. I have sometimes written the Qur'an and made scribal errors. Does it make the Qur'an corrupted? Obviously not.

If your going to ask me for specific sources, studies, and academic Ph. D. thesis (which I doubt you would trust anyway) it will take me hours to track them down. For now I suggest you relie on websites and your local library and a little dose of common sense.

To tell you the truth, I don't understand why you said that I would ask you for specific sources. I have read a lot of stuff written against the Qur'an's preservation. What you have said is nothing new to me.

Edited by Younes Ibn Abd' al-Aziz