Islamic Forum
hatsoff

What Brought You To Believe In God?

Hi, all.

Some time ago, in a (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/show.php/showtopic/595564.html"]previous thread[/url], I asked about uniquely Islamic reasons for God-belief and belief in Islam, in particular. I thank you all for your cooperation. It gave me a helpful glimpse into Western Muslim thought.

Now I'd like to ask, more specifically, why you believe in God. Did you have some kind of special revelation? Did you come to believe through some kind of prophetic evidence? Were you won over by a philosophical argument (e.g. cosmological/teleological/transcendental/etc.)? Or were you raised Muslim--indoctrinated at an early age--?

I'm curious to hear your responses. Please keep in mind that I would like to follow up your testimonies with challenging questions, since I find most supernatural claims, including the alleged existence of a disembodied creator-deity who dictates holy books for humans to write down, utterly ridiculous.

Thanks!

PropellerAds

Peace, Since you have pre decided that what we Muslims and others who believe in ONE GOD is rediculous, then what is the use of asking ridiculous questions, I checked the thread thinking that someone is sincere and wants to learn something, but alas, that's not the case. I don't know about others, but I think it is useless to reply here. May you be guided.

Be careful though, this is an Islamic Forum, so think before you write something disrespectful about our God or our Religion.

Take care.

:sl:

Now I'd like to ask, more specifically, why you believe in God.

The question could be put forward to you; why don't you believe in God. The same way that you aren't going to be able to comprehend what we are saying, we aren't going to be able to understand why you don't believe in God either... so most of the time threads like this don't go very far.

Did you have some kind of special revelation? Did you come to believe through some kind of prophetic evidence? Were you won over by a philosophical argument (e.g. cosmological/teleological/transcendental/etc.)? Or were you raised Muslim--indoctrinated at an early age--?

I wasn't raised to be a Muslim; although I considered myself to be a Muslim I didn't know anything about Islaam - like most of my family. I, like many people, would turn to God when it suited me ...other than that I never thought about it in much detail... when asked whether I believed in God I would say yes without giving it much thought.

It was when I started reading the Qur'an that I truly started to take interest in religion, because it made sense. This is something which a person who has never picked up the Qur'an will have difficulty understanding.

Ok, let me put it to you in another way. Consider that the Qur'an is the literal word for God (which it is), how would you and people like you (atheists) know? This world is divided into believers and disbelievers; people who see and people who cannot see. Allah says in the Qur'an:

As to those who reject Faith, it is the same to them whether thou warn them or do not warn them; they will not believe.

Allah hath set a seal on their hearts and on their hearing, and on their eyes is a veil; great is the penalty they (incur).

Of the people there are some who say: "We believe in Allah and the Last Day;" but they do not (really) believe.

Fain would they deceive Allah and those who believe, but they only deceive themselves, and realise (it) not!

In their hearts is a disease; and Allah has increased their disease: And grievous is the penalty they (incur), because they are false (to themselves). [2:6-10]

So, if you were wrong how would you know that you were wrong? You would not. Therefore what is the point of us discussing this any further while you don't understand these concepts?

People have come to this forum and asked for undeniable proof of the existence of God, to the Muslim this is something which only an ignorant person would ask for. The problem here is that the atheist doesn't even know why he is on this earth. To explain this again I will quote you from the Qur'an the story of Adam:

We had already, beforehand, taken the covenant of Adam, but he forgot: and We found on his part no firm resolve.

When We said to the angels, "Prostrate yourselves to Adam", they prostrated themselves, but not Iblis: he refused.

Then We said: "O Adam! verily, this is an enemy to thee and thy wife: so let him not get you both out of the Garden, so that thou art landed in misery.

"There is therein (enough provision) for thee not to go hungry nor to go naked,

"Nor to suffer from thirst, nor from the sun's heat."

But Satan whispered evil to him: he said, "O Adam! shall I lead thee to the Tree of Eternity and to a kingdom that never decays?"

In the result, they both ate of the tree, and so their nakedness appeared to them: they began to sew together, for their covering, leaves from the Garden: thus did Adam disobey his Lord, and allow himself to be seduced.

But his Lord chose him (for His Grace): He turned to him, and gave him Guidance.

He said: "Get ye down, both of you,- all together, from the Garden, with enmity one to another: but if, as is sure, there comes to you Guidance from Me, whosoever follows My Guidance, will not lose his way, nor fall into misery. [20:115-123]

So, if you are asking for undeniable proof of the existence of God you may as well stop now - because you aren't going to get it. That is not how this life works, if it did then everyone would believe in God (which would contradict the reason why we are here). And to explain why we were created:

He it is Who created the heavens and the earth in six Days - and His Throne was over the waters - that He might try you, which of you is best in conduct. But if thou wert to say to them, "Ye shall indeed be raised up after death", the Unbelievers would be sure to say, "This is nothing but obvious sorcery!" [11:7]

If you are waiting for the undeniable proof then know that by then it will be too late. Whether you believe in God or not is the trial which everyone on this earth must go through. And as for those who do not believe, they too will believe, but by then the matter will be decided and it will be too late.

Will they wait until Allah comes to them in canopies of clouds, with angels (in His train) and the question is (thus) settled? but to Allah do all questions go back (for decision). [2:210]

So, you now understand the concept that this life is a trial for us (or a test). Have you ever sat a test in school where the answers are given to you on the test paper? Or have you ever sat a test that once the test has been sent off and marked you receive the corrections and are allowed to make amendments to your exam paper? Then why do atheists come here asking for the 'undeniable proofs' that God exists? If you knew about these very basic concepts of religion you would know that you are asking something which is foolish. And I am not making these concepts up, these concepts are written in the Qur'an, this alone is enough proof for me that the Qur'an is from God - because all aspects of life have been covered and there is an answer for everything... this is something which atheists cannot say about their beliefs. The Qur'an has all the answers, because it is from God rather than from a human who is prone to error and has limited knowledge.

When we ask the atheists how the universe came to be, he has no answer; then how is the atheists surprised when we say that we believe that God is the answer.

To sum up what I'm trying to put across to you, is that, unless you read and understand the Qur'an and the concepts that are in the Qur'an; you will not be able to comprehend our argument of how we believe in God, or why we believe in God.

Hi, all.

Some time ago, in a (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/show.php/showtopic/595564.html"]previous thread[/url], I asked about uniquely Islamic reasons for God-belief and belief in Islam, in particular. I thank you all for your cooperation. It gave me a helpful glimpse into Western Muslim thought.

Now I'd like to ask, more specifically, why you believe in God. Did you have some kind of special revelation? Did you come to believe through some kind of prophetic evidence? Were you won over by a philosophical argument (e.g. cosmological/teleological/transcendental/etc.)? Or were you raised Muslim--indoctrinated at an early age--?

I'm curious to hear your responses. Please keep in mind that I would like to follow up your testimonies with challenging questions, since I find most supernatural claims, including the alleged existence of a disembodied creator-deity who dictates holy books for humans to write down, utterly ridiculous.

Thanks!

I was raised Muslim but what you non believers fail to relize is that Islam was not forced upon us. My father actually gave me a choice when growing up he always told me that if i want to be a christian or a non beliver i can be but do not be a stupid person to read!! And i did just that i read, i read the Bibile(which i have great respect for) ive read the Quran which i hold closer to me than any book in this world. And i also read the signs of this world which brought me to a conclusion that there is a God. HAHA thinking back to when i was 10 years old or may be i was 9 or 8 ill have to ask my pops, but anyway i was convinced that santa clause existed being in a public school in newyork, i believed in santa clause, i asked my father if i had been a good son all year and he told me yes i have, i told him about santa clause and how he comes and gives presents to all the good children, and that you have to set up a tree and decorate it with candy canes and tinsle and balls and all that stuff, My father told me that we are muslims and we dont celebrate christmas but i was adamate that santa was real.

So guess what my father done, He didnt lecture me on the nonexistence of santa he told me to go and get a tree and do what i wanted and he said it with a smile(ill never forget the smile lol)

the way that he said it made me question myself but anyway so in my front room i set a a small tree, decorated it with the stuff i got from school put a star on top, and even left milk and cookies out.

Needless to say the next morning x-mas day NO PRESENTS :no: WTH!!?? :sl: :sl: Nothing but a trail of ants on the cookies, even the mexican kid next door who always and i mean always used foul language got a bike. So from that day on it was something about he way my father was so confident and no worries that has always stuck with me. To make me question things and look more deeply at things and not just follow anybody. When i read the Quran and the life of Muhammad it all made sense when i looked at the earth it all made sense, there must be a supreme intellect,

i arrived at this without being forced my own intelligence led me to this. But atheism you got that from someone else someone who is angry at God someone who cannot see an intellect higher than themselves, your atheism is like belief in santa clause, you didnt arrive at non belief by yourself and Islam is just waiting for you to come to the reality within side yourself.

The question could be put forward to you; why don't you believe in God. The same way that you aren't going to be able to comprehend what we are saying, we aren't going to be able to understand why you don't believe in God either... so most of the time threads like this don't go very far.

Thanks for your response. In case your question is not rhetorical, I would be glad to answer it--but in another thread. I can tell you that you should be able to comprehend why I don't believe in any god, and I expect to be able to comprehend why you do. That we will disagree with each other does not bother me, nor I hope you.

I wasn't raised to be a Muslim; although I considered myself to be a Muslim I didn't know anything about Islaam - like most of my family. I, like many people, would turn to God when it suited me ...other than that I never thought about it in much detail... when asked whether I believed in God I would say yes without giving it much thought.

It was when I started reading the Qur'an that I truly started to take interest in religion, because it made sense. This is something which a person who has never picked up the Qur'an will have difficulty understanding.

I have read some (though not very much) of the Qur'an in English. I hope to become more familiar with it as time passes, though I have many other priorities which will slow my progress in that regard.

That said, I think I understand in part what you're saying. Being raised with the Bible, I find that it often speaks directly to my heart. However, I do not mistake its beauty and wonder for divine inspiration. Why do you think that because the Qur'an invokes such strong feelings in you, it must have been written by a supernatural creator-deity?

Ok, let me put it to you in another way. Consider that the Qur'an is the literal word for God (which it is), how would you and people like you (atheists) know? This world is divided into believers and disbelievers; people who see and people who cannot see. Allah says in the Qur'an:

So, if you were wrong how would you know that you were wrong? You would not. Therefore what is the point of us discussing this any further while you don't understand these concepts?

Well, you could humor me. Or you could test your own dogma, and see if I really don't understand, as the Qur'an promises (according to your interpretation thereof). Perhaps you would have some fun talking about it, as opposed to making declarations that it is incomprehensible and/or inarticulable. It's up to you, of course.

People have come to this forum and asked for undeniable proof of the existence of God, to the Muslim this is something which only an ignorant person would ask for.

Maybe, maybe not. But it is not something I am asking for. I only want to know what brought you personally to believe in Islam.

The problem here is that the atheist doesn't even know why he is on this earth.

This is incorrect. And even if it were correct, it would be irrelevant. So let's move on...

To explain this again I will quote you from the Qur'an the story of Adam:

So, if you are asking for undeniable proof of the existence of God you may as well stop now - because you aren't going to get it. That is not how this life works, if it did then everyone would believe in God (which would contradict the reason why we are here). And to explain why we were created:

If you are waiting for the undeniable proof then know that by then it will be too late. Whether you believe in God or not is the trial which everyone on this earth must go through. And as for those who do not believe, they too will believe, but by then the matter will be decided and it will be too late.

So, you now understand the concept that this life is a trial for us (or a test). Have you ever sat a test in school where the answers are given to you on the test paper? Or have you ever sat a test that once the test has been sent off and marked you receive the corrections and are allowed to make amendments to your exam paper? Then why do atheists come here asking for the 'undeniable proofs' that God exists? If you knew about these very basic concepts of religion you would know that you are asking something which is foolish. And I am not making these concepts up, these concepts are written in the Qur'an, this alone is enough proof for me that the Qur'an is from God - because all aspects of life have been covered and there is an answer for everything... this is something which atheists cannot say about their beliefs. The Qur'an has all the answers, because it is from God rather than from a human who is prone to error and has limited knowledge.

When we ask the atheists how the universe came to be, he has no answer; then how is the atheists surprised when we say that we believe that God is the answer.

To sum up what I'm trying to put across to you, is that, unless you read and understand the Qur'an and the concepts that are in the Qur'an; you will not be able to comprehend our argument of how we believe in God, or why we believe in God.

Try me.

By the way, I have no idea why you went on like you did about "undeniable proof." I have not asked for any such thing. I simply want to know why you believe.

I was raised Muslim but what you non believers fail to relize is that Islam was not forced upon us. My father actually gave me a choice when growing up he always told me that if i want to be a christian or a non beliver i can be but do not be a stupid person to read!! And i did just that i read, i read the Bibile(which i have great respect for) ive read the Quran which i hold closer to me than any book in this world. And i also read the signs of this world which brought me to a conclusion that there is a God. HAHA thinking back to when i was 10 years old or may be i was 9 or 8 ill have to ask my pops, but anyway i was convinced that santa clause existed being in a public school in newyork, i believed in santa clause, i asked my father if i had been a good son all year and he told me yes i have, i told him about santa clause and how he comes and gives presents to all the good children, and that you have to set up a tree and decorate it with candy canes and tinsle and balls and all that stuff, My father told me that we are muslims and we dont celebrate christmas but i was adamate that santa was real.

So guess what my father done, He didnt lecture me on the nonexistence of santa he told me to go and get a tree and do what i wanted and he said it with a smile(ill never forget the smile lol)

the way that he said it made me question myself but anyway so in my front room i set a a small tree, decorated it with the stuff i got from school put a star on top, and even left milk and cookies out.

Needless to say the next morning x-mas day NO PRESENTS :no: WTH!!?? :sl: :sl: Nothing but a trail of ants on the cookies, even the mexican kid next door who always and i mean always used foul language got a bike. So from that day on it was something about he way my father was so confident and no worries that has always stuck with me. To make me question things and look more deeply at things and not just follow anybody. When i read the Quran and the life of Muhammad it all made sense when i looked at the earth it all made sense, there must be a supreme intellect,

i arrived at this without being forced my own intelligence led me to this. But atheism you got that from someone else someone who is angry at God someone who cannot see an intellect higher than themselves, your atheism is like belief in santa clause, you didnt arrive at non belief by yourself and Islam is just waiting for you to come to the reality within side yourself.

Thanks for your response. Your story is very common; it was my own, for several years.

So let me get this straight. You insult us, and then expect us to...do what exactly? Is it necessary to insult people before attempting to engage them in a discussion?

Salam.

So let me get this straight. You insult us, and then expect us to...do what exactly? Is it necessary to insult people before attempting to engage them in a discussion?

I don't recall insulting you, or anyone else.

Secondly, how in the world is it logical to ask challenging questions concerning the choices that led a person to believe in God? Your topic title is deceptive, it should read "Why do you think you're right to believe in God?" Then you would have the freedom to question to your heart's content.

Do you know what the difference is between the two titles? The first one is simply curious. Like asking about someone's life experiences. It's also worded in a way that indicates it's talking about a journey that a person has already undertaken. You cannot disprove what has already happened in the past.

The second title is challenging. It demands answers and suggests there will be skepticism. It's also incredibly arrogant, which rather suits your post.

If you were asking about what brought me to Islam or to God, I would gladly share my story. But if your intention is to question why my belief in God is right or wrong, then I was clearly mistaken when I read the title and decided to take a look into this thread.

Salam.

I don't recall insulting you, or anyone else.

Direct insults aren't the only type of insults. You might say "You're fat", or you might say "I think it's ridiculous that people are fat", and it would be equally insulting.

You claim that you think it's utterly ridiculous to believe in God. Not only that, but you word it in a way in which you describe the God that we Muslims follow.

So you're saying that we Muslims believe in something ridiculous? Because if believing in God is ridiculous, and we Muslims believe in Him, then we're obviously holding an utterly ridiculous belief.

That, my friend, is an insult.

Salam.

If you were asking about what brought me to Islam or to God, I would gladly share my story. But if your intention is to question why my belief in God is right or wrong, then I was clearly mistaken when I read the title and decided to take a look into this thread.

Share what you feel like sharing; I am genuinely curious to hear your story. This does not mean that I will refrain from pointing out where I judge you to have made a mistake in your conclusion(s). If you do not wish to be exposed to that sort of criticism, then you had better not tell me. That's why I made my feelings plain in the OP--so that there would be no surprises later on. It was no insult.

I would love to hear your story Redeem, he asked as well to hear it however he did say that he has some questions to ask afterwards ... SO???? Just tell it and lets see what questions he has afterwards. I mean it is clear that he is an atheist so what do we have to lose from shraing with him personal Islamic history maybe he can benifit?? who knows, if his intentions is to do wrong then it shall be known

Okay, I'll drop the whole insulting thing. You said you didn't intend to insult, and that's good enough.

As for my story, I'll keep it simple. I believe in God because it makes sense. It feels as right as believing my left hand still exists even after I close my eyes. Life to me is a jigsaw puzzle with a large piece missing. I don't just mean spiritually. I mean in every way.

Atheists often explain things away, but the conclusion is always this: It just happened. Life happened. The universe happened. We happened. Can you, hatsoff, give me a better response? I would like to know.

Salam.

Okay, I'll drop the whole insulting thing. You said you didn't intend to insult, and that's good enough.

As for my story, I'll keep it simple. I believe in God because it makes sense. It feels as right as believing my left hand still exists even after I close my eyes. Life to me is a jigsaw puzzle with a large piece missing. I don't just mean spiritually. I mean in every way.

Interesting. It sounds like you were raised Muslim; is that the case?

As for your reasoning, I would point out that lots of things "make sense." That doesn't make them true.

If I tell you that I went to school today, that would make sense. It would make even more sense if you were previously aware that I am enrolled full-time at a university this semester. But then it also makes sense that I didn't go to school today. After all, a class only meets two to four times each week, depending on the course and section. And it is springtime; perhaps I am on break. Both of these claims make perfect sense, but only one can be true.

Atheists often explain things away, but the conclusion is always this: It just happened. Life happened. The universe happened. We happened. Can you, hatsoff, give me a better response? I would like to know.

Sometimes ignorance is all we have. We don't get to make up answers just because we want them.

Edited by hatsoff

Interesting. It sounds like you were raised Muslim; is that the case?

I was raised a Muslim, but I had what you would consider "blind faith" until my late teens. I believed because I had been taught to believe.

As for your reasoning, I would point out that lots of things "make sense." That doesn't make them true.

Most certainly. I've always been a firm believer in this. However, what often doesn't make sense is harder to believe than what does.

Even the most far-fetched of conclusions have to have enough logic and rationality behind them.

Both of these claims make perfect sense, but only one can be true.

What if you told me you had gotten drenched because you were walking in the rain, but it hadn't rained for weeks? That wouldn't make sense, right?

You've to understand that my belief in God isn't established on the sole reason that it "makes sense", I hope I didn't sound like I was saying so. But as I've said, it would be hard to accept it if it didn't make sense.

Right?

Sometimes ignorance is all we have. We don't get to make up answers just because we want them.

Are you sure that people are making it up when they say God exists? Are you also sure that God isn't the one who's instilling this sense of certainty in people's hearts?

Salam.

I was raised a Muslim, but I had what you would consider "blind faith" until my late teens. I believed because I had been taught to believe.

And I further assume that since you are an active Muslim, you have had occasion to re-evaluate those teachings as an adult. How, then, do you justify them? Myself, I find no good evidence that a supernatural creator-deity exists, that Muhammad was a prophet thereof, that the Qur'an contains messages from it to us, etc. And I cannot imagine any form of justification for such beliefs, other than evidence.

Most certainly. I've always been a firm believer in this. However, what often doesn't make sense is harder to believe than what does.

Even the most far-fetched of conclusions have to have enough logic and rationality behind them.

What if you told me you had gotten drenched because you were walking in the rain, but it hadn't rained for weeks? That wouldn't make sense, right?

You've to understand that my belief in God isn't established on the sole reason that it "makes sense", I hope I didn't sound like I was saying so. But as I've said, it would be hard to accept it if it didn't make sense.

Right?

Sure, but then your explanation is incomplete. And that means I'm still curious about how you justify your god-belief, if you don't mind my prying.

Are you sure that people are making it up when they say God exists?

No. The proposition was made in antiquity, and has been passed down to us today, evolving along the way. I think people believe the proposition for a number of poor reasons, not the least of which is that it is so very popular. One of the heuristic methods we use to determine whether a claim is plausible or not is whether a large number of people agree that it is. If most of the population believes that a disembodied mind created the universe with supernatural powers, then that belief is seen as reasonable. If so many people believe it, surely there are good reasons for thinking so! But there aren't. The sheer force of popularity has in large part helped to allow the stark absurdity of this common belief in a god or gods to go unrecognized.

Are you also sure that God isn't the one who's instilling this sense of certainty in people's hearts?

I'm as sure as I can be without actually peering into those hearts, yes.

I was going to reply again, but reading over your post, I find your attitude to be incredibly condescending.

"People believe the proposition for a number of poor reasons."

"Popularity has in large part helped to allow the stark absurdity of this common belief."

And let's not forget "the alleged existence of a disembodied creator-deity who dictates holy books for humans to write down, utterly ridiculous."

You're either intentionally getting your jabs in, or are so insensitive that you don't realize how much you're putting people down. What is the use of attempting to speak with someone who is going to continuously step all over your beliefs? Absolutely nothing.

If you truly wish to gain something and not simply shove your vinegar-flavored opinions down people's throats, then this is the forum for you. If not, you're wasting both your time, and the time of sincere Muslims who only wish to help others understand. I, for one, am not going to sit here and stomach all of your thinly veiled derogatory remarks, regardless of how innocent you might claim to be.

Salam.

I was going to reply again, but reading over your post, I find your attitude to be incredibly condescending.

"People believe the proposition for a number of poor reasons."

"Popularity has in large part helped to allow the stark absurdity of this common belief."

And let's not forget "the alleged existence of a disembodied creator-deity who dictates holy books for humans to write down, utterly ridiculous."

You're either intentionally getting your jabs in, or are so insensitive that you don't realize how much you're putting people down. What is the use of attempting to speak with someone who is going to continuously step all over your beliefs? Absolutely nothing.

If you truly wish to gain something and not simply shove your vinegar-flavored opinions down people's throats, then this is the forum for you. If not, you're wasting both your time, and the time of sincere Muslims who only wish to help others understand. I, for one, am not going to sit here and stomach all of your thinly veiled derogatory remarks, regardless of how innocent you might claim to be.

I have no qualms about pointing out ridiculous beliefs for what they are. Please note that I draw a firm distinction between criticizing the person and criticizing their beliefs. I am not calling you out for any personal failing, except one: you hold obviously false beliefs regarding Islam.

Now, I understand that my emphasis on the absurdity of your beliefs must sting a bit. However, I have no doubt that you feel similarly about my lack of belief in a god or gods. If you want to talk about this, I think it's best that we're open and honest with our opinions. If you disagree, well, then you are free to respond or decline to respond in whatever manner you like.

If you don't want to try to back up your claims with evidence and reason, because you're irritated I don't find it convincing, that's fine. Hopefully I will get responses from more willing participants.

Edited by hatsoff

I am not calling you out for any personal failing, except one: you hold obviously false beliefs regarding Islam.

Oh, the conceit.

I'm irritated that I haven't managed to convince you? Since when did I even try? You must not know me well if you think I've exhausted all of my resources in under two posts, with hardly any detail in either. I simply consider it a waste of time. You will believe what you choose to believe, and you've exhibited that you're willing to do nothing else.

If you don't have the decency to treat people with respect while achieving your goal of seeking answers through questioning their beliefs, then that is no one's fault but your own.

"Sting a bit"? Wrong. You shouldn't trivialize your aggressive attitude by implying that it only stings.

You're everything that this forum doesn't need, and until you change your attitude, you are not welcome here.

Salam.

I think most people turn to "God" in one of 2 reasons: Upbringing, or fear

I don't mean this to criticize or offend anyone at all, but most people who are involved in a certain religion do so because of upbringing. For example, if your parents are both Jewish, your siblings are Jewish, your neighbors are Jewish, and your friends are Jewish, chances are you will be raised Jewish. That's not to say it's a bad thing, I'm just saying most people are brought up with a certain belief instilled into them at a rather young age, and thus they grow up with those beliefs incorporated into their life.

The other reason, fear, I think mostly applies to adults who turn to religion when they've never turned to it before. If someone is generally non-religious, and out of the blue they take up a particular belief system, then often times (in my experience) it's because they feel like they nave nowhere else to turn. This is by no means a bad thing, but I've seen many people convert to a variety of different faiths due to this. I've even seen people take up meditation and yoga, as well as other forms of relaxation or spiritual outreach in an attempt to convey their feelings to a greater power. Often times when modern medicine or science can not provide the answers or power that someone needs, then they feel like a divine being is their place to turn, someone who operates within a higher authority.

Foxgarden, I agree with you. Most people stick to their families religion, as in the Quran mentioned many times that people will be attached to religious beliefs even if they don't make sense because it's their parents and grandparents religion. It's socially taboo to change religion in any culture and that certainly plays a role. Most people who do change are shunned by their families.

Fear as well is another factor as a lot of people face dispair and an absolution figure becomes most attractive.

Finding God the right way or for the right reason and embracing his worship with full willingness rather than following rituals due to peer pressure or desparation is what many people today are starting to access thanks to more and more information being available. All these arguments for and against God that you might find on these pages or anywhere else revolve around "doesn't make sense...prove it" and "how can you deny it?" dilemmas don't take into account the fact that there is a message. like I mentioned elsewhere, why would employees argue about whether they work in a corporation that does this or that against those who don't believe it's a business corporation to start with, when there is an employee handbook officially sealed sent to everyone to read what the vision is, what the company does, and what the rights and responsibilities of those employees are?

It is for this reason you will find that, despite Islam getting a bad rap for being associated with mindless soulless terrorists, it is the most embraced and fastest growing religion in the World today. Because it all comes down to simply letting down pre-assumptions and sitting and reading the message directly, as it is, in the Quran. No splitting hairs about how this makes sense or that sounds harsh, just the pure authentic message.