Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
epchois_nai_nan

First Question

Hello everyone :sl:

I'm new to this forum and this will be my first question. As I'm pretty sure it says under my name, I'm a Christian, not a Muslim, and I joined this forum so I could learn about Islam in a more interesting way that reading encyclopaedia articles. So, my first question is, as a muslim, can you tell me what are the main ethical principles and concepts that govern the way you live and where do you derive them from?

Thanks in advance

Epchois_Nai_Nan

PropellerAds

Hi Epchois,

Welcome to the forum and glad you decided to learn about Islam from direct sources. :sl:

To answer your question, a muslim's faith means believing in God, his angels, his messengers, day of judgement, and fate whether good or bad. Those are the basics of our faith, belief. As muslims we submit to God, the one and only, to worship and obey as the one true God. Along with declaring God as the one true God and Mohammed being his messenger and apostle, we are required to carry out daily prayers, annual fasting, an annual zakat or ordained charity, and to perform a pilgrimage if we could at least once in our lifetime. Those five form the foundation of Islam.

In the Quran and reported sayings of the prophet, we are charged with leading a moral life full of good deeds. In terms of behaviour, it was summed up perfectly when Mohammed -pbuh- said "Treat others the way you like to be treated". Jesus's statement in christianity "Love thy neighbor" I'm sure is familiar to you. It's from that basic concept that human behaviour is shaped towards spreading peace and prosperity amongst them. Racism, cheating, unfairness, hostility, and even secret redicule has all been mentioned as things to be shed of a person's code of behaviour. The prophets were all examples for us of what and how our ethical acts and thoughts need to be, starting with Ibrahim and Noah, all the way through Jacob, Moses, Jesus and Mohammed.

Being easiest to deal with, and kind to people, is a major factor for our sins and transgressions to be forgiven by God. As the prophet -pbuh- said to his companions: "Do you know who is truly broke?" and they answered to the region of "that who has no money or belongings" and he answered "No, the truly broke from the believers is he who comes to God on Judgement day with prayer and fasting and charity... and he arrives after he has insulted this one and smeared this one and ate (took without right) money from this one and shed the blood of this one and hit that one. For they come on that day and each one takes from his good deeds to make up for what he did, until all his deeds are over, so they (God's angels) start taking sins and bad deeds that those people did and throw it upon him, and then he himself is thrown into the Hellfire." (Narration of Muslim and Termethi from Abu Huraira)

So the ethical concepts and principals are based on basic goodness and kindness, and are derived from the Quran and reports from the prophet Mohammed, as well as the example set by the companions of Mohammed and other prophets of God like Jesus, Moses, and Ibrahim.

Thanks Sampharo for the reply,

It looks as though in many respects, Islam and Christianity promote the same ethical values. Would you be able to give me a Quranic reference for this:

<<...when Mohammed -pbuh- said "Treat others the way you like to be treated". >>

Another thing that I haven't been able to pin down is the Quran's opinion on those of other faiths. Is it generally believed in Islam that Jews and Christians will also enter heaven?

Thanks

Hi Epchois,

The quran is full of so many references to how muslims should behave. The prophet Mohammed summed it up with that hadith, but also many other speeches and traditions to enforce it. From the Quran there are literally hundreds of verses like:

"You shall worship none but God; and you shall do good unto your parents and kinsfolk, and the orphans, and the poor; and you shall speak unto all people in a kindly way; and you shall be constant in prayer; and you shall spend in charity." (2:67)

Or "True piety does not consist in turning your faces towards the east or the west - but truly pious is he who believes in God, and the Last Day; and the angels, and revelation, and the prophets; and spends his substance - however much he himself may cherish - it - upon his near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer, and the beggars, and for the freeing of human beings from bondage; and is constant in prayer, and renders the purifying dues; and [truly pious are] they who keep their promises whenever they promise, and are patient in misfortune and hardship and in time of peril: it is they that have proved themselves true, and it is they, they who are conscious of God." (2:177)

Or "AND WORSHIP God [alone], and do not ascribe divinity, in any way, to aught beside Him. And do good unto your parents, and near of kin, and unto orphans, and the needy, and the neighbour from among your own people, and the neighbour who is a stranger, and the friend by your side, and the wayfarer, and those whom you rightfully possess. Verily, God does not love any of those who, full of self-conceit, act in a boastful manner" (4:36)

and "AND, INDEED, after having exhorted [man], We laid it down in all the books of divine wisdom that My righteous servants shall inherit the earth:" (21:105)

in addition to many more. Some describing specific actions, some are more general.

As for the Christians and Jews and other believers, there is a verse that regards them and their position before the reveal of quran:

"Those who believe, and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Christians and the Sabians,- any who believe in God and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve." That regards those across time in their own eras before the message of Islam reached.

In Moses and Jesus Quran says:

"For, indeed, We vouchsafed unto Moses the divine writ and caused apostle after apostle to follow him; and We vouchsafed unto jesus, the son of Mary, all evidence of the truth, and strengthened him with holy inspiration. [Yet] is it not so that every time an apostle came unto you with something that was not to your liking, you gloried in your arrogance, and to some of them you gave the lie, while others you would slay?"

"Lo! The angels said: "O Mary! Behold, God sends thee the glad tiding, through a word from Him, [of a son] who shall become known as the Christ jesus, son of Mary, of great honour in this world and in the life to come, and [shall be] of those who are drawn near unto God."

"God will say: "O jesus, son of Mary! Remember the blessings which I bestowed upon thee and thy mother-how I strengthened thee with holy inspiration, so that thou couldst speak unto men in thy cradle, and as a grown man; and how I imparted unto thee revelation and wisdom, including the Torah and the Gospel; and how by My leave thou didst create out of clay, as it were, the shape of a Bird, and then didst breathe into it, so that it might become, by My leave, a Bird; and how thou didst heal the blind and the leper by My leave, and how thou didst raise the dead by My leave; and how I prevented the children of israel from harming thee when thou camest unto them with all evidence of the truth, and those of them who were bent on denying the truth were saying, `This is clearly nothing but deception!'"

All this regards the truthful message delivered by Moses and Jesus and shows the good place the people who followed their messages are in before Islam. However, after the message of Mohammed and the Quran is revealed, non-belief in them is a breach of faith. It is the same that a muslim is considered have faulted out of Islam and is regarded as a non-believer if he denies the existence or message relevation of Moses, Jesus, David or Abraham.

Look at it this way: Employees at a company receive company rules and regulations by fax from the board of directors. Some take it to heart and do what they can understand, and some say many lines aren't clear and require confirmation. Some start to add to the rules on the fax and take out some because it's not convenient to them or they say that the part was not printed clearly because of the fax machine. (Moses revelation)

Then a second communication is sent in the form of a long descriptive email. Again some take it to heart, while others still ignore it citing that it wasn't documented and there is no signature or proven source, and just ignored it and pressed delete, and later argued about what was in it. (Jesus message)

Finally an employee handbook arrived in the mail for each individual employee, with their name printed at the front, and the full board names, signatures, and original seals at the back, detailing and repeating everything sent before. (Islam and Quran)

It was good enough to follow the email and the fax as that was all what was available. But If someone accepted the previous communication and neglected the final fulfilling handbook, it's no good. Faith is negated by that action.

As for the Quranic verse, it is quite clear: "If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (submission to Allah), never will it be accepted of him; and in the Hereafter He will be in the ranks of those who have lost."

So based on the Quran, christians and jews who believed in God and did well through their time and died on that before receiving the message of Islam, they will be treated fairly and will be forgiven and entered into paradise. But if they receive the completing message of Mohammed and the Quran, find the indisputed references in the book and deny it, it scars their faith and God shall judge them and put them "in the ranks of those who lost".

Sam

Edited by Sampharo