Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
what should i do

I Lied To Someone About Something What Should I Do

ok basically what the problem is i have a friend who is a girl and i dont know what i feel for her i just like being around her i dont know if this is as a sister a friend or something else. she is religious and prays but not the full five times a day but im pretty sure she has strong emaan, anyway shes 17 and has a boyfriend and i told her that this is not Islamic and should not be going out with him, i dont think they do anything more than kissing. but the other day i lied to her and i told her i saw a man in my dream that told me to tell her to stop going out with this guy, as i thought she would she said it was her dad, whose passed away, and that shell stop going out with this guy. so i really dont know whether or not i did the right thing and what i should do now as the lie has led to something good. Any help would be much appreciated!

PropellerAds

:sl:

You should repent, ask God for forgiveness and He will forgive you. Next time, just say that it is forbidden in Islam, and show why it is forbidden. There is no need to start inventing stories.

Dear what should I do,

Lying about a dream is a big deal by the way, bigger than a normal lie. A vision in sleep is not something to be lied about.

Anyway, like Younes said. You need to repent, but you need to understand what you did. You lied in order to do good, while your notion is commendable, you chose a bad way.

First, think about the psychological effect that she might go through later on, maybe she's thinking now that her father has not visited her for anything except that guy, and therefore that was the ONLY thing wrong that she was doing, when in fact it's far lesser than no praying all prayers for example. Or she might be depressed that her father's "spirit" contacted YOU rather than her, and will be depressed and think she's unloved by her own father's soul!!

Now think about the effect if it's found out? Your credibility will not only be lost with her, but also the fake barrier she created to stop what she's doing with that guy would have been shattered from its foundation, and now she might ignore OTHER things you might have said and maybe even start seeing the guy again. In her mind, the pious advising friend is untrustworthy and therefore why should she take ANYTHING he says at all.

My friend, as your life become more and more pious and straightforward, what seems small to other people becomes a big thing with us and it is a burden, a burden which we carry gladly as we know that is the path to being a better human being and a closer person to the prophet -pbuh-.

ADDITIONALLY you need to understand that you CANNOT manipulate people into what you believe is better behaviour!It's not your charge or responsibility to make people behave in a certain way. Most muslim scholars advise direct preaching should not be more than once to those people you don't oversee (like your children for example, those you shape their behaviour with authority of course and use means of motivation and punishment and repetition) and in that one time it should be with kind explanation, and giving examples of the better samples of humans and what they do.

My opinion in addition to repenting, is to ask to talk to that girl again and with honesty and regret you tell her you made it up, and tell her that you did this only for her own sake and now you know it was wrong. Smile with vulnerability and she might forgive you. If you are a happy satisfied person and do all your prayers and not have illicit relations, she will see that as a good example to be ATTRACTED towards herself, and then your guidance will have meaning.

Don't beat yourself up about it though, you had good intentions, just a misguided decision.

Sam

we are really good friends and i didnt want her messing up her life is it a sin to lie to help someone, and is there a special way of askiing for forgiveness?

:sl:

I'd like to add that it's haraam for you to tell her that someone visited you in your dream with advice for her, especially when such things are impossible. Unless it is the prophet Muhammad, and this is supported by many Hadiths. Secondly, advice her not to believe in such things.