Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Puget Sound

A Hijabi U.s Military Commander?

Will There Ever Be A Hijabi Muslim U.S Military Commander?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Will There Ever Be A Hijabi Muslim U.S Military Commander?

• For Sure
    • Probably Yes
    • Maybe Yes
    • Not Sure/ Don't Know
    • Maybe No
    • Probably Not
    • Never
  2. 2. Will There Ever Be A FEMALE MUSLIM U.S Military Commander?

• For Sure
    • Probably Yes
    • Maybe Yes
    • Not Sure/ Don't Know
    • Maybe No
    • Probably Not
    • Never

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_cascadianpatriot.deviantart(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/art/Hijabi-U-S-Air-Force-General-120274026"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_cascadianpatriot.deviantart(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/art...neral-120274026[/url]

Discuss.

Edited by Puget Sound

PropellerAds

Salaams peeps,

as well as the highest ranking hijabi Muslim within the Air Force.

Does this mean there are non-hijabi Muslim women who out-rank her?

Peace

Salaams peeps,

Does this mean there are non-hijabi Muslim women who out-rank her?

Peace

Probably- it's just a description I wrote up really quickly, and there's a few errors- can you spot them?

A 'Muslim' serving in the U.S military isn't a Muslim anymore.. generally speaking..

Edited by SaracenSoldier

A 'Muslim' serving in the U.S military isn't a Muslim anymore.. generally speaking..

Good to know we have a respected Islamic scholar like you to tell us that it is OK to judge what happens in Muslims' hearts, despite the Koran telling us otherwise.

Good to know we have a respected Islamic scholar like you to tell us that it is OK to judge what happens in Muslims' hearts, despite the Koran telling us otherwise.

What does the Koran tell us?

Also, I said generally speaking

Edited by SaracenSoldier

I work in the army of a non-Muslim state, and there are wars between them and the Muslims. What is the ruling if they send me with a division of this army to wage war against the Muslims? As a Muslim, my feelings are that I never want to fight against Muslims in any war.

What should I do?

What is the ruling if I go…?

Praise be to Allaah.

If you are sent to wage war against the Muslims, then it is not permissible for you to take part at all. Helping the kaafirs against the Muslims is a form of major kufr which puts one beyond the pale of Islam. Allaah says concerning one who supports the mushrikeen (interpretation of the meaning):

“And if any amongst you takes them (as Awliyaa’, i.e., friends), then surely, he is one of them”[al-Maa’idah 5:51]

With regard to how you may get out of this situation, and what excuse you can give to get out of this dilemma if it happens, we ask Allaah to help you, and we suggest that you consult some Muslims who have relevant knowledge or experience.

We want to emphasize to you the necessity of finding other employment and of leaving service in the army of the kaafirs, because that implies helping them, strengthening them and increasing the numbers of their fighters and supporters – unless your work can bring some benefits to the Muslims, such as giving information and secrets of the kaafirs to the Muslims so as to help the Muslims, or if your work is purely da’wah, such as giving khutbahs and leading prayers for the Muslims in the kaafir army whilst also advising them to avoid any work that will strengthen the kaafirs. We ask Allaah to keep you safe from temptation and to give you a good end in this world and in the Hereafter.

Islam Q&A

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/14004/us%20army"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/14004/us%20army[/url]

If the McFatwah you quote is correct, then there's no "generally speaking" about it - no-one who is in the US, UK, French, Japanese, Indian, Australian, Thai etc, etc military can be a Muslim.

I work in the army of a non-Muslim state, and there are wars between them and the Muslims. What is the ruling if they send me with a division of this army to wage war against the Muslims? As a Muslim, my feelings are that I never want to fight against Muslims in any war.

What should I do?

What is the ruling if I go…?

Praise be to Allaah.

If you are sent to wage war against the Muslims, then it is not permissible for you to take part at all. Helping the kaafirs against the Muslims is a form of major kufr which puts one beyond the pale of Islam. Allaah says concerning one who supports the mushrikeen (interpretation of the meaning):

“And if any amongst you takes them (as Awliyaa’, i.e., friends), then surely, he is one of themâ€[al-Maa’idah 5:51]

With regard to how you may get out of this situation, and what excuse you can give to get out of this dilemma if it happens, we ask Allaah to help you, and we suggest that you consult some Muslims who have relevant knowledge or experience.

We want to emphasize to you the necessity of finding other employment and of leaving service in the army of the kaafirs, because that implies helping them, strengthening them and increasing the numbers of their fighters and supporters – unless your work can bring some benefits to the Muslims, such as giving information and secrets of the kaafirs to the Muslims so as to help the Muslims, or if your work is purely da’wah, such as giving khutbahs and leading prayers for the Muslims in the kaafir army whilst also advising them to avoid any work that will strengthen the kaafirs. We ask Allaah to keep you safe from temptation and to give you a good end in this world and in the Hereafter.

Islam Q&A

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/14004/us%20army"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/14004/us%20army[/url]

War is between countries and peoples, not between religions. It's geopolitics, not a new Crusade.

Umm, right. So now you are saying that it is OK for Muslims to be in the US military.

Hijabi or non-Hijabi, woman or man, it is Haram for a Muslim to serve in a non-Muslim army.

Hijabi or non-Hijabi, woman or man, it is Haram for a Muslim to serve in a non-Muslim army.

Islam is supposed to be a religion that stretches across boundaries, and Muslims fight each other all the time. If you live in a country where most of the people aren't Muslims, and that country has provided you with everything you need, and if it comes under attack, I say you should go defend that country.

War is between countries and peoples, not between religions. It's geopolitics, not a new Crusade.

Islam is a nation. We do not believe in these fake nation states of today which have been (temporarily) forced down on us since world war 1. We believe in complete Muslim unity throughout the world. Because Islam is our nation. It is our country. It is our citizenship. Even joining the armies of for example Saudi Arabia or Pakistan are not "Islamic" because they are not armies for Islam. They are armies with nationalistic goals. We, the Muslims, aim for One army, One nation, One law, no internal borders from Indonesia to Bangladesh, from Pakistan to North Africa, From North Africa to Al-Andalus.

You might want that, but it is not currently the case that there is one Muslim nation. Nor does there seem to be any mechanism for achieving it, nor even any mechanism for achieving consensus on how it would function. Nor is there any evidence that most Muslims want it.

For a very long time - maybe for their entire history - the Ottoman Empire and its precursors existed because they were powerful enough to force their rulers' will on the population. Now that that power has vanished the Empire has broken up into nations, and most people in those nations seem to prefer it that way. The only way to re-establish the Empire would be to subjugate the population again. I can't see (for example) the Taliban ever conquering Indonesia and Malaysia. Or even Bangladesh. Bangladeshi Muslims would never again submit to Pakistanis because of the rape and genocide of the civil war - they would again turn to India for help if Pakistan ever attacked them again.

In Islam, there are actions that lead to "kufr" (disbelief). Being a disbeliever is not necessarily about declaring that one is no longer following Islam. Such actions include:

1) Insulting Allah, His messengers, or anything revealed from Him.

2) Disbelieving in a major tennet of Islam. I.e. that Allah is above the Heavens.

3) Believing in fortune telling, horoscopes or attributing Divinity to anyone but Allah.

Now for the ones that are on the political aspect:

1) Spying on the Muslims, or relaying information about them to the enemy.

2) Giving support to non-Muslims in a conflict between Muslims and non-Muslims.

If the McFatwah you quote is correct, then there's no "generally speaking" about it - no-one who is in the US, UK, French, Japanese, Indian, Australian, Thai etc, etc military can be a Muslim.

Islamic rulings are based on the Qur'an and the Hadiths. There is no dispute whatsoever among the scholars about the conditions of kufr, especially in this instance.

Anyone who willingly joins a war with a group of non-Muslims, knowing well enough that the enemy will be a group of Muslims, is committing a major sign and needs to immediately repent.

Where are you getting this definition from?

Wars over land, resources or between people who are different from one another on the basis of their skin color or their nationality is unIslamic. God-fearing Muslims fight for one reason, and one reason alone. For the sake of Allah.

If any Muslim causes the suffering or death of another Muslim, he is held accountable for that (unless the latter was oppressing the people). But in no circumstance can a Muslim work alongside non-Muslims against another Muslim.

How about paying taxes to fund a non-Muslim army?

Taxes are an obligation upon every inhabitant of the country. There is no choice involved, as would be the case of one who takes up arms against the Muslims. Nor is funding war a direct result of paying taxes.

If I'm renting a house from you and you go out and buy a gun to kill someone, in no way am I held responsible for "funding" your criminal ways. That's the simplest way to put it.

Islam is supposed to be a religion that stretches across boundaries,

Exactly. Islam unifies people under one banner and one army.

If you live in a country where most of the people aren't Muslims, and that country has provided you with everything you need, and if it comes under attack, I say you should go defend that country.

If I didn't know any better, I would thought that based on your words, these countries provide us with free food, free housing, and so on. They don't.

If you're asking us to

1) Sacrifice our lives for a piece of land or for nationalism instead of for the sake of Allah, or

2) Take up arms against people who believe in and worship Allah,

Then let me say that you're asking for too much. You're asking us to give up our religion.

Salam.

Everyone knows that the 'Major General Fatima Hemminger' is made up and doesn't exist, right ?

1) Spying on the Muslims, or relaying information about them to the enemy.

2) Giving support to non-Muslims in a conflict between Muslims and non-Muslims.

Islamic rulings are based on the Qur'an and the Hadiths. There is no dispute whatsoever among the scholars about the conditions of kufr, especially in this instance.

As usual, add "in my opinion' to everything I say in this post.

For those rules to apply you need to define "enemy". If by "enemy" you mean any non-Muslim who is fighting any Muslim for any reason, just or unjust, that would mean that giving evidence for the prosecution in the trial of a Muslim would be haram.

As in the current piracy issue, are all Muslims forbidden to help in any way a ship owned and crewed by non-Muslims which is attacked by Muslim pirates? I doubt it.

Anyone who willingly joins a war with a group of non-Muslims, knowing well enough that the enemy will be a group of Muslims, is committing a major sign and needs to immediately repent.

Ditto the pirate thing. And presumably that would mean that any Muslim who fought against the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait was committing a major sin.

If any Muslim causes the suffering or death of another Muslim, he is held accountable for that (unless the latter was oppressing the people). But in no circumstance can a Muslim work alongside non-Muslims against another Muslim.

Ditto the pirate and Kuwait thing.

Taxes are an obligation upon every inhabitant of the country. There is no choice involved, as would be the case of one who takes up arms against the Muslims. Nor is funding war a direct result of paying taxes.

You can choose not to pay taxes and go to jail. Funding the military IS a direct result of paying taxes. If that military happens to be engaged in a war against some Muslims, you are facilitating that war.

If you're asking us to

1) Sacrifice our lives for a piece of land or for nationalism instead of for the sake of Allah, or

2) Take up arms against people who believe in and worship Allah,

Then let me say that you're asking for too much. You're asking us to give up our religion.

So you would not approve of any Muslim fighting on either side of the Iran-Iraq war? Nor fighting to resist the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait? Or even fighting to overthrow the 'puppet' governments of the ME?

You seem to be taking it upon yourself to pass verdicts. Saying "this is my opinions as always" does nothing to neutralize your words.

Firstly, I want to comment on a particular part of your post:

Funding the military IS a direct result of paying taxes.

You are absolutely wrong. Funding the military is an INDIRECT result of paying taxes. Direct would be to send money straight into the military funds. Taxes go into the national treasury, and the money in the treasury is used both for the domestic and foreign needs of the country.

Let me make it clear.

Direct: Taxes -> Military

Indirect: Taxes -> Treasury -> Military

It would be appreciated if you wouldn't alter the definition of a simple word.

Why should a Muslim choose to go to jail when he is not committing a sin (let alone an act of kufr) by paying taxes? Unless you ARE passing fatwas on your own by deciding that taxes are haraam. They aren't. Don't try to tell us what we should or shouldn't do, especially when you're saying that a Muslim should spend a lifetime in jail for something you consider to be on the same footing as physically fighting against Muslims for a non-Muslim cause.

And lastly, the point still remains, regardless of how much you attempt to nitpick at it. Joining the army of a non-Muslim country is not permitted for a Muslim because fighting a war against a group of Muslims while on the side of non-Muslims makes one kaffir. I'm going to research and gather the works of scholars, and list the Hadiths or verses that speak on such issues.

Salam.

You seem to be taking it upon yourself to pass verdicts. Saying "this is my opinions as always" does nothing to neutralize your words.

I hope my words aren't neutralised - but they are my opinion.

You are absolutely wrong. Funding the military is an INDIRECT result of paying taxes. Direct would be to send money straight into the military funds. Taxes go into the national treasury, and the money in the treasury is used both for the domestic and foreign needs of the country.

OK, so you agree that US Muslims who pay taxes indirectly fund the US military, but you think that that is permitted?

And lastly, the point still remains, regardless of how much you attempt to nitpick at it. Joining the army of a non-Muslim country is not permitted for a Muslim because fighting a war against a group of Muslims while on the side of non-Muslims makes one kaffir. I'm going to research and gather the works of scholars, and list the Hadiths or verses that speak on such issues.

You are saying that the 15000-odd Muslims in the US military, plus the 30,000 Muslims in the Indian army, plus those in the Australian, UK, French, Thai, Danish, German, Japanese, etc militaries are actually kaffirs. Big call.

Edited by rubida

I was going to gather scholarly writings, but what would be the use? It would all be lost on you.

OK, so you agree that US Muslims who pay taxes indirectly fund the US military, but you think that that is permitted?

And you're agreeing that if your landlord is using his wealth to buy weapons to commit crimes, you are funding his criminal activities?

You are saying that the 15000-odd Muslims in the US military, plus the 30,000 Muslims in the Indian army, plus those in the Australian, UK, French, Thai, Danish, German, Japanese, etc militaries are actually kaffirs. Big call.

Don't put words in my mouth, Packham. Read my post again instead of deriving far-fetched conclusions out of them. Secondly, are you claiming that those Muslims you named are not doing something that is impermissible and that fighting against Muslims while in a non-Muslim army is not an act of kufr?

Don't try to change our religion, please.

Salam.

Salaams peeps,

I imagine that many Muslims (and non-muslims) join armies to earn a living and not with the intention of going to war, let alone kill other Muslims. I'm not saying this makes it okay, just that the intentions are not (usually) to hurt other Muslims.

Peace

Salaams peeps,

I imagine that many Muslims (and non-muslims) join armies to earn a living and not with the intention of going to war, let alone kill other Muslims. I'm not saying this makes it okay, just that the intentions are not (usually) to hurt other Muslims.

Peace

:sl:

Many people do unlawful things as a means of livelihood. Ultimately, Allah makes the decisions on whether or not a person is guilty since He alone knows what is in the hearts of men. However, those actions themselves are unlawful and such is stated in the Qur'an and Hadiths.

:sl:

I am against the idea of Muslim men or women joining the army. One can learn many skills such as combat in the battlefield and survival techniques, but the interests of these armies today are against the interests of Muslims.

What? If it's an act of kufr to join a non-Muslim army which is fighting Muslims, then you ARE saying that all the Muslims in the US, Indian, UK, etc armies are kaffir, aren't you?

My friend, the question you ask requires proper understanding of what is required of a Muslim to leave Islam. So I suggest not to jump to any conclusions.

An act of kufr does not make a Muslim a disbeliever.