Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mo999

Memorising Religious Scriptures

Salam,

I would appreciate if someone can answer the followings:

1. Do people from other religions memorise their religious scriptures? I know that we Muslim do it and call our people Hafiz when they have memorized the Quran fully. Do the Christians and Jewish do similar thing?

2. Do we have any kind of estimate how many Hafiz we have at the moment from across the world?

3. The Muslims from prophet's swt age, do they used to memorize the whole Quran? If not, from what age the Muslim started to memorize the whole Quran?

Thanks

PropellerAds
Salam,

I would appreciate if someone can answer the followings:

1. Do people from other religions memorise their religious scriptures? I know that we Muslim do it and call our people Hafiz when they have memorized the Quran fully. Do the Christians and Jewish do similar thing?

2. Do we have any kind of estimate how many Hafiz we have at the moment from across the world?

3. The Muslims from prophet's swt age, do they used to memorize the whole Quran? If not, from what age the Muslim started to memorize the whole Quran?

Thanks

Salam,

As a Catholic, I can tell you that there are many Protestants who make extreme efforts to memorize the Bible since that is the only thing they go by, they better know it I suppose. But there are so many different versions of their Bible that even memorizing one cover to cover wouldn't necessarily help them in all debates since the translations and wording are so different from version to version.

I was under the impression that many Muslims from the Prophet's time (swt) memorized at least most of the Qur'an as it was given to them. I could be wrong though.

peace

Adam

I guess Adam answered that, it would be interesting to know from other religions as well.

I think that is impossible to be accurate as there is no registry. I would say tens of thousands though at the least.

Yes, by the time Islam was established in Medina there were hundreds and hundreds at the time who memorized the whole quran and kept adding any verses as they were revealed. The seventy sahaba who went to Najd and were killed at the well of Maouna were all full Hafathat Al-Quran.

Salam,

As a Catholic, ...

I was under the impression that many Muslims from the Prophet's time (swt) memorized at least most of the Qur'an as it was given to them. I could be wrong though.

peace

Adam

I am surprised that as a christian you are aware of this. :sl:

When I started to learn to read Quran, I used a very cheap copy of the Quran which unfortunately contained some printing errors. It used to amaze me that whenever I read the verses wrong due to printing errors, it never went unnoticed from my teachers. I had 4-5 different teachers who were not Hafiz but still every single one of them was able to pick up the printing error on that particular copy of the Quran. This is why I laugh every time when someone says the Quran is not authentic.

The answers to my questions confirm that Muslims have a unique system to preserve the Quran forever and still some idiots question about its authenticity.

:sl:

The Jews have a tradition of memorising religious information. For example, in Maimonides' time, 12th century, Jews used to memorise the Torah and the rest of the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament at an early age of six and seven. And the Polak Jews (Rabbis, of course) could remember the whole Talmud, word for word. I also heard a Jew saying that he asked a Rabbi to recite to the Torah for him. The Rabbi recited to him (without reading a copy) while the Jew had a copy infront of him. The Rabbi recited for 20-minutes or so before the Jew asked him to stop. The Jews also say that they used to pass on the Oral Torah mouth to ear, mouth to ear for centuries before it got written down. Some of the Oral Torah matches with Islamic information in the Qur'an and the hadiths. Narrations such as God lifting the mountain over the Jews to make them accept the Torah and Abraham(pbuh) being thrown into a fire are both in the Oral Torah and the Qur'an.

These are some examples regarding the Jews. I am sure they even have a strong memorising background today, the Rabbis.

Edited by Younes Ibn Abd' al-Aziz

Hindus also memorize their scriptures, but most of them don't bother to understand its meaning. Only elites are allowed to read it.