Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
IrishMan7

Convince Me Islam Is Truth

Hello, my name is Adam.[using large font size is not allowed]

I am a Catholic but I study all religions. At first Islam was just like any other Eastern religion- foreign, confusing, but as I studied further I saw just how similar Islam is to Judaism and Christianity, and how radically different. I am continuing my studies but my friendly challenge to all Muslims is to convince me that Islam is the most true of all religions. That the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) indeed had a revelation from God. That Islam is the returning to the original faith of Adam, Abraham, and Jesus. From a young age I sought the deepest truth in Christianity, that led me to Catholicism, I have traveled the width and breadth of Catholicism seeking God. If God calls me into a deeper Truth, to Islam I will follow. You have to understand that I am a convert to Catholicism and I have studied Christianity for a very long time, my entire world view is Western, and despite my diligent studies and open mind I am certain that I unconsciously hold misconceptions. I am completely open and desiring of the Truth, of drawing ever nearer to God, if Islam is the Truth I will ultimately accept it. I do not intend to rush into accepting a new faith but want to study, pray, and contemplate in order to discover what God wills. I have grown to have an immense respect for Islam, I have given a challenge to you my brothers and sisters. my ears and heart remain open.

Peace be with you all

PropellerAds

Hello Adam,

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad that an honest truth seeker came to our doorsteps seeking guidance. We believe that only Allah Al-Mighty guides whom He wants, so we're limited to just showing you the way to the truth. God willing, you will find what you're looking for here. We'll happily answer any questions that you may have about Islam.

Divine religions always shared common grounds, because the source was always the same, and each religion added to the one before it. Then came Islam, the ultimate upgrade to all heavenly religions. Since you already studied Islam, you surely know that Muslims believe in all divine religions and all of Allah's messengers. We Muslims hold great love to prophet Jesus and his mother Mariam (Mary) which is the only female mentioned by name in the Holy Quran. Prophet Muhammad is the seal of all prophets, and Islam was revealed to him, to call the entire universe to embrace it. It doesn't contradict with any of the previous divine messages (in their original divine context) but Islam, being the last message from God Al-Mighty, is not just a religion, its a complete way of life.

Since the revelation of Islam, everyone is required to convert to it. The Quran, contrary to all other divine messages that came before it, can not be falsified or altered in any way, because Allah Al-Mighty took it upon Himself to protect it til the end of time. Each religion, each prophet came with a different type of miracle to prove it. In Islam, the Quran is the miracle within itself. Its a continuous miracle, living among us as an everlasting proof. This shows how merciful God Al-Mighty is, knowing that prophet Muhammad is our last chance to guidance, He made his message immortal and self-proofing to benefit and guide us at all times.

Looking forward to reading your posts, I hope you enjoy your stay, and God willing, you will find the truth soon.

I’m a newbie to this group myself, so I guess a warm welcome to both of us. :sl:

I have had numerous discussions with Christians (at my professions newsgroup) and had also spent considerable times reading the Bible. I do agree with your statement “..similar Islam is to Judaism and Christianityâ€. One of the things that strike me when reading the Bible is, many a times, Jesus pbuh and other prophets pbut, are mentioned bowing, prostrating and fall on their faces, praying and worshiping God. This is exactly what Muslims do at this very day. I would say this to every Christian, you have the old testament, the new testament and now you have the final testament, that is the Quran. Get hold of a copy of the Quran and read it with an open heart, and do not forget to pray for guidance, indeed at the end it is God that guides.

p.s I would also recommend the site 911bible dot com, the site looks at both the Bible and the Quran and comparing them. Check them out.

ard

Hi Irishman,

I read your post regarding that you have converted into catholicism and you are studying Islam along with many religions, and you wish to follow the true path to God. That's an excellent approach that many people don't get, so kudos on that alone. Many people think of religion nowadays as indeed something man-made to alleviate depression, to "reach enlightenment", or to reflect spirituality on a conveniently chosen set of values (basically values first that they're comfortable with, not too harsh, and then find or fine-tune a "religion" to fit them). Fundamentally speaking that just shows they are looking for a tool to make this life more pleasurable, rather than finding the truth in God and our creation and therefore be able to achieve salvation in the eternal after-life. You have the right angle. :sl:

I would like to take the pleasure of talking with you not only about Islam and what you understand, but also about Catholecism and what you might tell me about it. Can you tell us in a nutshell the general basic things that you learned about Islam, specifically in the belief or faith area?

Sam

Check out this thread which was started by a fellow Catholic.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=726926&hl=inspired"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic...amp;hl=inspired[/url]

Then check out this link: individual.utoronto.ca/fantastic/The_History_of_the_Quranic_Text_from_Revelation_to

Compilation.pdf

Please copy and paste the link in your browser and read the book which is in pdf-format. It is about the history of the Qur'an. Also check out other books of the author, they are not in pdf-format, so you'd have to manage to get them somehow else.

Thank you all for your responses. I have a translation of the Qu'ran (The Message of The Qur'an by Muhammad Asad) and I have been trying to work my way through it, taking it in bits and portions. I am very very impressed with the Qu'ran even in my terribly limited knowledge of it. You know that there are so many different versions of the Christian Bible, many translations, the Protestants dropped some books after the Reformation, and took it terribly out of context so it is so foreign but so wonderful to find the Qu'ran, which hasn't changed and has remained perfect for 1400 years. I suppose if I am going to tell the story of my faith in any detail I must start with the fact that my family belonged to a Protestant sect of Christianity that went by the doctrine of Sola Scriptura or "Bible Alone", they only used what was in the Bible and did not rely on Tradition. There was a huge emphasis on returning to original Christianity and living in that manner. I had this desire but once I realized that that particular sect ignored the history of Christianity and did not even posses the entire Bible I left it to find the truest expression of Christianity. That led me to the Catholic Church, I was baptized and confirmed Easter 2007 at the age of 15 after much study and prayer, convinced that I had found the truest form of Christianity, in line with the history of Christianity and Scripture. I sought God endlessly.

I first read of Islam through some Catholic writings on the Crusades and some monk's encounters with Islam in the Middle Ages. It was interesting but I was concentrated on learning more about Christianity. My first real exposure to Islam was unfortunately through Sept. 11 but I had a Muslim friend, Ahmed from Cairo who provided an example that did not match the screaming fanatics on the t.v. I realized that the Islam of the media was not the true Islam so I decided I would find it. I studied and prayed and tried to learn all I could. I have been studying constantly since that time.

The things that attract me most to Islam is the absolute Oneness of God, this seems more inline with the Old Testament and even the New Testament when you really look into it. The Trinity has made less and less sense, how can God, the Creator of the Universe be killed? Jesus never wanted any glory for himself but always pointed to the Father.

I like the fact that in Islam, there is no clergy, no priests that must be gone to in order for sins to be forgiven, who have to say Mass for the laity in order for our salvation. There is nothing separating the creature from his Creator.

The praying 5 times a day and the way of life that Islam provides seems like the best way to be a peaceful person in line with God's teaching.

The Qu'ran seems like a miracle to me, I don't see how such a text could not be inspired by God, and since it is inspired by God then it must be the last and final testament of God. Then Islam must be true.

The consistency of Islam throughout the ages, Catholicism which remained barely unchanged for so long has changed radically in the past 50 years. Beliefs which everyone once believed unto death are now widely rejected while Islam is now the fastest growing religion in the world, still unchanged with very little division when compared to Christianity.

Masya Allah, this brother is so young yet he speaks well beyond his years.. puts a guy twice his age, such as myself to shame..

Irishman, you are on the right tract, in Islam we say for those who are sincerely and really seek God, then InsyaAllah, Allah (God) shall give them guidance.

Talking about the miracle of the Quran, one thing that I would like to mention is the linguistical miracle of the Quran. This is something quite ‘new’ to me. Many, who were born and raised as Muslims (such as myself) , were being told ever since we were kids, that the Quran is miraculous in the aspects of the language and linguistics. Most had taken this at face value without taking the effort to go deeper into it. Quran in its original format (i.e spoken Arabic) is a miracle in itself. Given your age, I would recommend that you put learning Arabic as one of your endeavors.

Here’s a couple of links that discuss the linguistics miracle of the Quran.

short 30 minutes dialog, of a Muslim explaining the concept of this miracle to a Christian.

Another one by the same brother:

Why and How to Learn Arabic for Comprehension of the Quran - Nouman Ali Khan

About 1 hour lecture:

ard

Masha'Allah brother Adam, you seem to have come to know enough already to embrace Islam. I suggest you do not wait any longer. Life is short and its best to revert now, and keep learning as much as you can later on. All it takes is that you say the declaration of faith (shahada) with sincerity, and you instantly become a Muslim. I encourage you to go here for many useful info, including how to say the shahada, how to pray and several other simple first steps with video tutorials:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/show.php/showtopic/257749.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/show.php/showtopic/257749.html[/url]

Hello Irishman7

I think you should not take your decision hastily because haste is waste. You first study Islam properly before reaching to any conclusion. I know life is short but if Allah [sWT] wills you'll be guided to the right path.

You may ask questions to remove your doubts and MashaAllah there are many knowledgeable brothers to answer you.

Wassalam

Shadab

Hey Irishman,

First of all, I absolutely agree with Mohammed, even though I completely understand where brother dot is coming from. :sl: I think you have a few things you want to sort out in your mind and heart first, and it's completely fine to do that.

Why some of us might expect you to move quickly is simple: What you have stated about your knowledge of Islam shows us you need no convincing. I mean, people might ask: How do I know the Quran is authentic? That's what takes time to establish to them the authenticity of the Quran, established in that it's one book all over the World across the past 1400 years, and you can evidently find its copies identical to the letter from the smallest Indonesian Village through the biggest Masjid in Toronto to the oldest copies in the Islamic museums. Others (especially christians) don't like to touch the trinity doctrine, you have already gone past that. You also know enough to understand that the direct connection between God and man is part of God's omnipotence, and that requiring clergy in the middle lacks sensibility, not to mention the concept of the immortal creator of all being killed. You studied theology and many religions and already can see the line of connection from the original faith in God finding truth in Islam rather than christianity.

Especially considering your own statement: "The Qu'ran seems like a miracle to me, I don't see how such a text could not be inspired by God, and since it is inspired by God then it must be the last and final testament of God. Then Islam must be true." you seem to the brothers here like you know enough to be ready to embrace the message of God in its final and most complete form.

Now the reason I am not assuming that yet is because I think you would have already done that and embraced Islam on your own, without the need to make this post in the first place and saying you're looking for convincing. So based on that, my guess is you still have worries in your heart and questions in your mind that you need cleared and answered in order to connect the final dots. So i guess I would say now:

You told us what you know about Islam. Well, what is it that you don't know about and you wish to find out? Or what is it that you read about Islam and has caused a bit of confusion for you?

Don't worry, even Abraham the father of the prophets asked God to see a sign in order to rest his heart, so we more than understand. Like Mohammed said the brothers here and myself included would be more than happy to answer any of your queries.

Sam

You all are correct in the sense that I do not need much convincing at this point and as I said in my original post "I do not intend to rush into accepting a new faith but want to study, pray, and contemplate in order to discover what God wills." That is exactly it, I go to college in the fall of 2010 at a university that has a huge Muslim student association and offers an Islamic studies major. Until that time I promised myself I would continue to pray and to study all I can about Islam. I have become very active in my parish during my time as a Catholic, people come and ask me questions about theology and many adults have assumed I would become a priest. It would be difficult to extract myself from that group in such a short period of time without disrespecting someone or hurting someone's faith in God by doing so. My situation at home would make it nearly impossible to be an active Muslim, but if I wait until university then I can go to the masjid for prayer and have many Muslim acquaintances. In the mean time, I plan to study Arabic to enable me to read the Qur'an in its proper language.

thank you all for your respones

peace be with you

I still think, with the understanding you've reached so far, that its best for you to revert now. The point is, once you become convinced, you no longer have excuses for not reverting, or delaying what would only take a couple of minute to accomplish. Even if your friends/family surroundings made it hard for you to practice Islam now, at least say the shahada, and begin practicing when you can. A non-practicing Muslim is better than a polytheist (please forgive me for using that term), though you can probably manage to practice at times convenient to you. You may also keep it a secret between you and your Lord, and announce it when the time is right.

You have several options, but I think the worst is to delay doing what you've been guided to and convinced of. They used to severely torture early Muslims to death, yet more people embraced Islam. I don't think your situation will ever come close to that :sl:

Best wishes, and may Allah :sl: guide us all to the true path, ameen.

Salaam brother IrishMan, With all due respect to the opinions of all the brothers and sisters who have participated in this thread, I see what you are trying to tell the brother.

I TEND TO AGREE WITH brother dot's post for the obvious reasons that life is to short, to sit and keep thinking and contemplating if it is the right time, you will always feel that you have to be more convinced. Brother IrishMan with your kind of Belief in Allah ou don't need more convincing nor do you need to to be in the company of Muslim Associations and all. Without anything Allah has softened you heart and Guided you so far, hold on to the Rope of Allah and put your trust in the Almighty Allah and you will see how Allah will lay down the route for you.

What to talk about New converts to Islam, even us born Muslims living in predominantly Muslim countries have problems with family and friends in certain issues. Look around and see how many Muslim girls wear clothes that fulfill the condition of Hijaab, a minor perentage does it with the blessings of their parents, most of them have to fight and argue with their parents to wear Hijaab, and sometimes go against their parents wishes to follow the most compulsory aspects of Islam.

There is always struggle either with NonMuslims and sometimes with Muslims too. So don't let this delay you from accepting the oneess of Allah and the belief that Muhammad Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam is the last Messenger of Allah. From your posts I see that you already believe it in you HEART, So don't confuse yourself, you do not need any more convincing, but you are just looking for the ight time to open your heart to the people around you.

Check out the link that brother dot has posted, and sart from there, the link is very helpful, I have given it to many of my convert friends.

Do not delay my brother in Attest to the Oneness of Allah in your heart and say it with your tongue often when you are alone if you are uncomfortable to say it in front of others, Allah knows what is in your heart.

If here are any questions, please post them here and we will try to help you out as much as we can, and I don't have to remind you that Allah is always with you, and you don't need to worry about anyone as long as you know you are following the orders of Allah.

May Allah help you and keep guiding you now and always, ameen.

Take care, Assalamu Alaikum.

Assalamualekum Brother

I'm very happy to hear that you have already been guided by Allah Subhanahu wa ta'la.

I also suggest you to say the Shahada at least. Its true that once you are guided then there is no excuse for you not to accept the truth. Allah has cleared in Qur'an that true relatives of the Muslim is all the believers. You should be more concerned about pleasing your Lord instead of worrying about displeasure of relatives and old friends.

I'd also appreciate if you share your story with us.

Wassalam

Your Brother in Islam

Muhammed Shadab Ghori

I also suggest you to say the Shahada at least. Its true that once you are guided then there is no excuse for you not to accept the truth. Allah has cleared in Qur'an that true relatives of the Muslim is all the believers. You should be more concerned about pleasing your Lord instead of worrying about displeasure of relatives and old friends.

Honestly at this point it less about displeasing relatives and friends and more about not being able to pray 5 times a day or follow the dietary requirements or anything else sense I am still a minor living at my parent's house. I mean how can I find halal meat for instance? Nearly every meal contains pork, it would be disrespectful to decline to eat the meal my mother or grandmother spent hours preparing. Once I become a Muslim I will required to follow those things (which I really want to do) but I cannot now. Once I am in college I can follow ALL of the requirements to the best of my ability. I am going to try and contact a local Imam and talk to him about the situation and see what he says. Does that make situation make any sense?, sorry if its complicated.

peace

Adam

Assalamualekum Brother

I'm afraid brother. You are such closer to the truth but reluctant to accept it just because of displeasure of your parents. Your situation is not any different from any new convert. They also faced persecution and atrocities from their own relatives. Believe me brother these atrocities and displeasure will make your Imaan stronger than mountains. Do you think you'll enter jannah without trials which was faced by earlier people? No brother Allah Ta'la test the imaan of the believers by such trials.

It's your weakness of faith which is preventing you from accepting the truth. I think you need to study Islam more. It's only deception of Satan who is suggesting you to delay your decision. Believe me brother it is only fitna of Satan who will suggest you to delay it till you abandon the idea. Taking Shahada is very serious matter once you have found the truth.

Brother Ask Allah to strenghten your Imaan.

35:5. O mankind! Lo! the promise of Allah is true. So let not the life of the world beguile you, and let not the (avowed) beguiler beguile you with regard to Allah.

35:6. Lo! the devil is an enemy for you, so treat him as an enemy. He only summoneth his faction to be owners of the Earning Fire.

35:7. Those who disbelieve, theirs will be an awful doom; and those who believe and do good works, theirs will be forgiveness and a great reward.

35:8. Is he, the evil of whose deeds is made fair seeming unto him so that he deemeth it good, (other than Satan's dupe)?

Allah verily sendeth whom He will astray, and guideth whom He will, so let not thy soul expire in sighings for them. Lo! Allah is Aware of what they do!

Ya Allah forgive us all and save us from whispers of Satan.

Hi Adam,

Honestly at this point it less about displeasing relatives and friends and more about not being able to pray 5 times a day or follow the dietary requirements or anything else sense I am still a minor living at my parent's house.

I understand what you mean and it shows intelligence and commitment to being a true muslim from day one. You don't want to say Shahada, become charged with what muslims are charged with, and fail to live up to the requirements of prayers and fasting.

This is of course first and foremost your choice. If however your situation is like that, more about being able to practice Islam with freedom rather than being more at ease with the faith itself in your heart, then my opinion (and you are more than free to consider it or not) is actually on the same wavelength as dot, umAhmed and Mohammed.

- For one thing, until you reach 18 and move away from your parents like you're saying, you don't know whether you will live and make it through any of the days from this day till then.

- For another thing, god forgives insha Allah all the bad you might do against your true will and desire (out of parental pressure), while you will be rewarded for whatever good you do from this day until then (the day you move out when you are eighteen) in a much higher way than you will get doing regular deeds on your own afterwards. Why would you want to miss out on that, right? The reason you will be rewarded in a higher way is because you will be striving, aka doing Jihad, working against resistance and pressure. If you look at it, the benefits of being a muslim during this time period and the rewards and good deeds you will earn, outway any possible sins you might collect over that period which will be forgiven once you stop them and repent from them anyway insha Allah.

- Third and Finally, just a thought, wouldn't you think that having the belief and faith firmed in your heart but not pronouncing Shahada might be more serious to God than trying but failing to stick to a diet? :sl:

There is no compulsion in declaring what you believe, but what you might be putting off for fear of pressure, might just be what is best for you. You studied Islam and must have learned about striving and Jihad, and many of us are currently looking for ways to do that because of its great fantastic reward. It seems you have an opportunity that fell right in your lap. Aside from that, you can always pray in secret, collect the five prayers all at night and do them in your room as Qada before bed time (acceptable considering your current circumstances only). Food cooked by christians and jews is halal for you to eat as long as you mention the name of God on it, but aside from that you can tell your parents right now that you shouldn't touch pork because of swine flu, or because your doctor told you to stay off pork (not a lie if you talk to a muslim doctor who will tell you how terrible pork is for human health and body). Additionally, there isn't easier than telling your parents you want nothing but vegetarian food from them from now on(avoid saying you are strictly vegetarian now as that can be a lie) which they will assume it's for health reasons and will happily comply. Have a good halal meaty meal with your muslim brothers or enjoy seafood for a while when you are out of the house.

Collective Prayers at night, halal food, faith in your heart, and a pronounced Shahada are a lot more than many muslims have had when they first embraced Islam. The prophet told his companions who went out for the call to Islam (da'wa) that they should ask the people they meet and call to Islam, to declare the oneness of God and the belief that Mohammed is his apostle, and to abide by good ethics and morality (Makarem al-Akhlaq) and nothing else. When that is delivered, then is to ask for prayers and fasting and zakat and tell them to perform pilgrimage. When that is delieverd and they say they will abide, only then to ask them to forgoe alocohol and pork and other great forbiddences. When that is delivered only then to teach other Islamic requirements. So you can give yourself the same reprieve.

May you be guided to the truth sooner or later, and may you meet God only as a muslim, and may you find the truth you seek. You are a truth seeker and there is nothing more noble, so may you be rewarded for that my friend.

Sam

Edited by Sampharo

Adam,

Eating swine flesh is unlawful in all three divine religions, not just in Islam..

Leviticus

11:7 And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he [is] unclean to you.

11:8Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcase shall ye not touch; they [are] unclean to you.

Deuteronomy

14:8 And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it [is] unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcase.

Isaiah

65:3 A people that provoketh me to anger continually to my face; that sacrificeth in gardens, and burneth incense upon altars of brick;

65:4 Which remain among the graves, and lodge in the monuments, which eat swine's flesh, and broth of abominable [things is in] their vessels;

66:16 For by fire and by his sword will the LORD plead with all flesh: and the slain of the LORD shall be many.

66:17 They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one [tree] in the midst, eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the LORD.

I have found the above post most helpful. Thank you.

I was not aware that swine flesh was forbidden in Christianity as well. The quotes provided are very helpful.

Assalamu Alaikum Moosa Alaihis Salaam came before Eesaa Alaihis Salaam, hence the things that were haraam/forbiddened for the Jews would be Haraam for the Christians too. I really wonder why the eat swine flesh so openly????????

Assalamu Alaikum.

I think this video is very important for you at this point

May Allah bless you with the light of faith. InshaAllah I will make dua for you.... (In case if you revert, please do make dua for me. InshaAllah, your dua would be accepted)

Salam