Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
IrishMan7

Satan In Islam

I come from a Catholic background where Satan is seen as being a fallen angel who cannot do anything unless God permits him. From what I can tell this is not the Muslim view since angels are considered to be all-good. So, what is the view of Satan in Islam? How did he become Satan? was he always Satan? what is his role? If anyone could answer any of those questions or just explain Satan in Islam I would greatly appreciate it!

thank you

peace

PropellerAds

Angels are beings created from Nur (light). They have absolute submission to Allah and spend their time in worship and obedience to Him. They were created without free will, meaning they do not have the capability of disobeying Allah. Many of them are mentioned by name in the Qur'an and Hadiths, especially those who Allah has chosen for specific tasks. For example, Jibreel (known as Gabriel in Christianity) is the Angel who was sent by Allah to convey revelations to the Prophets and Messengers of Allah.

Besides Angels, there are two other creations. One is human beings. The second is Jinn.

"Indeed We created man from dried clay of black smooth mud. And We created the Jinn before that from the smokeless flame of fire" [15:26-27]

The Jinn, just like human beings, were created with free will. They were also created for the same purpose as human beings.

"I did not create the Jinn and mankind except to worship Me" [51:56]

Iblis (Satan) was a Jinn. Before the creation of human beings, he was a Jinn who worshipped Allah so much to the point where he was allowed among the company of Angels. When Allah created Adam, He ordered the Angels to prostrate to him. The Angels complied with the order, except for Iblis (who was among them at the time).

I think the Qur'an will explain the rest of the story well:

Surah Al-Hijr

28. Behold! thy Lord said to the angels: "I am about to create man, from sounding clay from mud moulded into shape;

29. "When I have fashioned him (in due proportion) and breathed into him of My spirit, fall ye down in obeisance unto him."

30. So the angels prostrated themselves, all of them together:

31. Not so Iblis: he refused to be among those who prostrated themselves.

32. (Allah) said: "O Iblis! what is your reason for not being among those who prostrated themselves?"

33. (Iblis) said: "I am not one to prostrate myself to man, whom Thou didst create from sounding clay, from mud moulded into shape."

34. (Allah) said: "Then get thee out from here; for thou art rejected, accursed.

35. "And the curse shall be on thee till the day of Judgment."

36. (Iblis) said: "O my Lord! give me then respite till the Day the (dead) are raised."

37. (Alla)) said: "Respite is granted thee

38. "Till the Day of the Time appointed."

39. (Iblis) said: "O my Lord! because Thou hast put me in the wrong, I will make (wrong) fair-seeming to them on the earth, and I will put them all in the wrong,-

40. "Except Thy servants among them, sincere and purified (by Thy Grace)."

The Jinn, just like human beings, can be good or evil. For example, Surah Al-Jinn begins with:

Say: It has been revealed to me that a company of Jinns listened (to the Qur'an). They said, 'We have really heard a wonderful Recital! It gives guidance to the Right, and we have believed therein: we shall not join (in worship) any (gods) with our Lord. [Verses 1-2]

Those Jinn that antagonize human beings (just as Iblis did) are called Shaytan for singular or Shayateen for plural. They are devils, to put it simply.

I hope that answers your question.

Salam.

I come from a Catholic background where Satan is seen as being a fallen angel who cannot do anything unless God permits him.

Fallen angel aside, Satan stands similar in Islam, in that he only sways people's minds except those who are sincere and purified as mentioned in Redeem's excerpt from the Quran, so he does what he is only permitted like the Catholic belief. Furthermore, unlike many christian sects beliefs, he does not have a "domain" and he does not "rule" hell, but will be subjected to its punishment as all those who enter it.

Being a student of theology, can you tell me please which sects subscribe to that and where did that concept come from since as you say Catholicism does not?

Sam

Iblis (Satan) was a Jinn. Before the creation of human beings, he was a Jinn who worshipped Allah so much to the point where he was allowed among the company of Angels. When Allah created Adam, He ordered the Angels to prostrate to him. The Angels complied with the order, except for Iblis (who was among them at the time).

can u link me to a website. or something so i can get more info on this...because he worshipped Allah so much to the point of being able to join the jinn...and then suddenly hes the most hated.....

can u link me to a website. or something so i can get more info on this...because he worshipped Allah so much to the point of being able to join the jinn...and then suddenly hes the most hated.....

:sl:

And (remember) when We said to the angels: "Prostrate yourselves before Adam.'' And they prostrated except Iblis (Shaytan), he refused and was proud and was one of the disbelievers (disobedient to Allah). [2:34]

When Allah commanded the angels to prostrate before Adam, Iblis was included in this command. Although Iblis was not an angel, he was trying - and pretending - to imitate the angels' behavior and deeds, and this is why he was also included in the command to the angels to prostrate before Adam. Satan was criticized for defying that command, as we will explain with detail, Allah willing, when we mention the Tafsir of Allah's statement,

[ÅöáÇøó ÅöÈúáöíÓó ßóÇäó ãöäó ÇáúÌöäøö ÃóÃóÓóÞó Úóäú ÃóãúÑö ÑóÈøöåö]

(Except Iblis (Satan). He was one of the Jinn; he disobeyed the command of his Lord.) (18:50)

Similarly, Muhammad bin Ishaq reported that Ibn `Abbas said, "Before he undertook the path of sin, Iblis was with the angels and was called `Azazil.' He was among the residents of the earth and was one of the most active worshippers and knowledgeable persons among the angels. This fact caused him to be arrogant. Iblis was from a genus called Jinn.''

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_tafsir(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/default.asp?sid=15&tid=26943"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_tafsir(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/default.asp?sid=15&tid=26943[/url]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_tafsir(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/default.asp?sid=18&tid=30415"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_tafsir(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/default.asp?sid=18&tid=30415[/url]

Fallen angel aside, Satan stands similar in Islam, in that he only sways people's minds except those who are sincere and purified as mentioned in Redeem's excerpt from the Quran, so he does what he is only permitted like the Catholic belief. Furthermore, unlike many christian sects beliefs, he does not have a "domain" and he does not "rule" hell, but will be subjected to its punishment as all those who enter it.

Being a student of theology, can you tell me please which sects subscribe to that and where did that concept come from since as you say Catholicism does not?

Sam

That last bit is, as far as I can tell, the exact Catholic teaching as well as the Eastern Orthodox Church but if you were to look at any of the Protestant sects that's where they view Satan as a powerful "lord of hell" type. That belief came after the Reformation when Christian doctrine splintered into a thousand different directions, the more puritanical and anabaptists tend to hold that view. That view most likely came about once the Tradition of Christianity became separated from Scripture and folks relied on the latter rather than looking at the former.

peace

but if you were to look at any of the Protestant sects that's where they view Satan as a powerful "lord of hell" type.

I guess this is also belief of Zionists. Many people worship Iblees believing that it is like a politics. One party supporting God and other party supporting Iblees.

Followers of Satan will realize the truth in the end, when Satan will accept that he lied to them about himself.

May Allah save us from Fitna of Satan.