Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
IrishMan7

Other Scriptures Besides Qur'an In Islam

"Muslims uphold and respect the following scriptures:

(i) The Quran itself, revealed to the Prophet Muhammad.

(ii) The Torah (Tawrah in Arabic) revealed to the Prophet Moses (different from the Old Testament read today).

(iii) The Gospel (Injeel in Arabic) revealed to Prophet Jesus (different from the New Testament read in churches today).

(iv) The Psalms (Zaboor in Arabic) of David.

(v) The Scrolls (Suhuf in Arabic) of Moses and Abraham.

Third, Muslims believe whatever is true in them and has neither been altered or deliberately misconstrued."

So, are there Arabic versions of all these scriptures that haven't been altered over time that Muslims believe to be completely true then? If so, do Muslims read the other scriptures besides the Qur'an often and where can you find them?

Thank you

Peace Be With You

PropellerAds

No we don't because we don't know what is true and what have been altered by forgers.

IN fact it is not advisable to read them after Qur'an. Allah Subhanahu wa ta'la has included everything in Qur'an important for Ummah.

If I rightly recollect then Hadrat Ali radiallahu anh read the Bible and found many god things in it. When he [RAA] told this to rasoolullah sallallahu alehi wa sallam regarding this then Rasolullah Sallallahu alehi wa sallam become angry and said that even if Isa [Alehisalam] comes to this earth then He [Alehisalam] will also have to read Qur'an.

If I rightly recollect then Hadrat Ali radiallahu anh read the Bible and found many god things in it. When he [RAA] told this to rasoolullah sallallahu alehi wa sallam regarding this then Rasolullah Sallallahu alehi wa sallam become angry and said that even if Isa [Alehisalam] comes to this earth then He [Alehisalam] will also have to read Qur'an.

:sl:

It was Umar ibn al-Khattab(ra). H got a copy of the Torah from a Jew. He was rather liked among the Jews before they turned against the Muslims. He read the copy and took it to the Prophet(pbuh). The Prophet(pbuh) got angry and told him that the People of the Book could tell him false things and he could accept them and true things and he could reject. Then he said that if Moses(pbuh) was alive he would have to follow him.

The Prophet(pbuh) got angry and told him that the People of the Book could tell him false things and he could accept them and true things and he could reject. Then he said that if Moses(pbuh) was alive he would have to follow him.

so you are saying then that mohammed (pbuh) would follow moses (pbuh) if moses were alive

is that so

if not please clarify

so you are saying then that mohammed (pbuh) would follow moses (pbuh) if moses were alive

is that so

if not please clarify

No. What I meant is that Moses(pbuh) would have to follow Muhammad(pbuh) if they were both alive at the same time.

No. What I meant is that Moses(pbuh) would have to follow Muhammad(pbuh) if they were both alive at the same time.

you seem absolutely certain of that

please explain your position

no opinion please

include links and sources

perhaps you can enlighten me on this quote

"With My punishment I visit whom I will; but My mercy

extendeth to all things. That (mercy) I shall ordain for

those who do right, and practise regular charity, and

those who believe in Our signs;-

[7.157] those who follow the messenger, the unlettered Prophet,

whom they find mentioned in their own (scriptures),- in the law

and the Gospel;- for he commands them what is just and forbids

them what is evil; he allows them as lawful what is good (and

pure) and prohibits them from what is bad (and impure);

He releases them from their heavy burdens and from the yokes

that are upon them. So it is those who believe in him, honour

him, help him, and follow the light which is sent down with him,-

it is they who will prosper."

the unlettered prophet referenced here is certainly moses

yet the gospels were not handed down until the time of jesus

over 1400 years after the time of moses

the obvious problem is that since the gospel has not yet been revealed at moses time

nobody was able to find anything in this nonexisting gospel

muhammad was indeed unlettered

that is to say that he was not well educated in the earlier scriptures and this is a quite obvious blunder

which is hard to reconcile with divine authorship let alone with the direct speech of god in response to moses

a second problem surfaces when we focus on the phrase the unlettered prophet

nowhere in the torah or the gospel is there any mentioning of an unlettered prophet

there are prophecies about future prophets particularly about the prophet like moses

but the quran gives one and only one distinctive characteristic by which we may recognize which prophecy is meant and this characteristic is that the prophet is refered to as unlettered

but that is a false statement since nowhere in the torah or the Gospel is any prophet called unlettered

if that which is given as evidence of authenticity for muhamma's prophethood turns out to be false

what then is the conclusion we have to draw from that

I don't know if any of us have what it takes to actually convince you of this, but unlettered means illiterate, as in can't read or write at ALL, not just unlettered in the scripture, which is the prophet Mohammed. The unlettered prophet speaks of a prophet that comes AFTER the Gospel like YOU said it can't refer to an older one when it is a prophecy.

I did not understand much of the rest of the argument regarding the single distinctive characteristic leading to the false statement part and all that. I think that Younes is more capable in this area and can take it further.

Peace

Edited by Sampharo

It refers to prophet Muhammad.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_tafsir(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/default.asp?sid=7&tid=18871"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_tafsir(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/default.asp?sid=7&tid=18871[/url]

The Description of that Messenger

[ÇáøóÃöíäó íóÊøóÈöÚõæäó ÇáÑøóÓõæáó ÇáäøóÈöìøó ÇáÃõãøöìøó ÇáøóÃöì íóÌöÃõæäóåõ ãóßúÊõæÈðÇ ÚöäÃóåõãú Ãöì ÇáÊøóæúÑóÇÉö æóÇáÅöäÌöíáö]

(Those who follow the Messenger, the Prophet who can neither read nor write whom they find written with them in the Tawrah and the Injil,) This is the description of the Prophet Muhammad in the Books of the Prophets. They delivered the good news of his advent to their nations and commanded them to follow him. His descriptions were still apparent in their Books, as the rabbis and the priests well know. Imam Ahmad recorded that Abu Sakhr Al-`Uqayli said that a bedouin man said to him, "I brought a milk-producing camel to Al-Madinah during the life time of Allah's Messenger. After I sold it, I said to myself, `I will meet that man (Muhammad) and hear from him.' So I passed by him while he was walking between Abu Bakr and `Umar, and I followed them until they went by a Jewish man, who was reading from an open copy of the Tawrah. He was mourning a son of his who was dying and who was one of the most handsome boys. The Messenger of Allah asked him (the father),

«ÃóäúÔõÃõßó ÈöÇáøóÃöí ÃóäúÒóáó ÇáÊøóæúÑóÇÉó åóáú ÊóÌöÃõ Ãöí ßöÊóÇÈößó åóÃóÇ ÕöÃóÊöí æóãóÎúÑóÌöí¿»

(I ask you by He Who has sent down the Tawrah, do you not find the description of me and my advent in your Book) He nodded his head in the negative. His son said, `Rather, yes, by He Who has sent down the Tawrah! We find the description of you and your advent in our Book. I bear witness that there is no deity worthy of worship except Allah and that you are the Messenger of Allah. ' The Prophet said (to the Companions),

«ÃóÞöíãõæÇ ÇáúíóåõæÃöíøó Úóäú ÃóÎöíßõã»

(Stop the Jew (the father) from (taking care of) your brother (in Islam).) The Prophet then personally took care of the son's funeral and led the funeral prayer on him.''' This Hadith is sound and is supported by a similar Hadith in the Sahih narrated from Anas. Ibn Jarir recorded that Al-Muthanna said that `Ata' bin Yasar said, "I met `Abdullah bin `Amr and asked him, `Tell me about the description of Allah's Messenger in the Tawrah.' He said, `Yes, by Allah! He is described in the Tawrah, just as he is described in the Qur'an,

[íÃóíøõåóÇ ÇáäøóÈöìøõ Åöäøó ÃóÑúÓóáúäóÜßó ÔóÇåöÃÇð æóãõÈóÔøöÑÇð æóäóÃöíÑÇð ]

(O Prophet! Verily, We have sent you as a witness, and a bearer of glad tidings, and a warner.) [33:45] as a safe refuge for the unlettered ones. `You are My servant and Messenger. I have called you `Al-Mutawakkil' (who trusts in Allah), not hard or harsh.' Neither uttering foul speech in the markets nor returning evil deed with one in kind. Rather, he forgives and forgoes. Allah will not end his life until He straightens through him the crooked religion, so that they might proclaim, `There is no deity worthy of worship except Allah.' He will open through him sealed hearts, deaf ears and blind eyes.''' `Ata' then said, "I also met Ka`b and asked him the same question, and his answer did not differ from `Abdullah's answer, even concerning one letter. '' Al-Bukhari recorded it from `Abdullah bin `Amr. It was also recorded by Al-Bukhari [up to the word] forgoes. And he mentioned the narration of `Abdullah bin `Amr then he said; "It was common in the speech of our Salaf that they describe the Books of the People of the Two Scriptures as the Tawrah, as some Hadiths concur. Allah knows best.'' Allah's statement,

[íóÃúãõÑõåõã ÈöÇáúãóÚúÑõæÃö æóíóäúåóÜåõãú Úóäö ÇáúãõäúßóÑö]

(He commands them to do good; and forbids them from evil;) This is the description of the Messenger of Allah in previous Books. These were the true qualities of our Messenger , as well, for he only ordained good and forbade evil. We should mention here that `Abdullah bin Mas`ud said, "When you hear Allah's statement,

[íóÜÃóíøõåóÇ ÇáøóÃöíäó ÃóÇãóäõæÇú]

(O you who believe!), then pay it your full attention, for it is a good that you are being commanded, or an evil that you are being forbidden.'' And the most important and greatest of these commands and prohibitions, is that Allah has sent the Messenger to order worshipping Him Alone without partners and forbid worshipping others besides Him. This is the Message that Allah has sent all Messengers with before Muhammad , just as Allah said,

[æóáóÞóÃú ÈóÚóËúäóÇ Ãöì ßõáøö ÃõãøóÉò ÑøóÓõæáÇð Ãóäö ÇÚúÈõÃõæÇú Çááøóåó æóÇÌúÊóäöÈõæÇú ÇáúØøóÜÛõæÊó]

(And verily, We have sent among every Ummah a Messenger (proclaiming): "Worship Allah, and avoid the Taghut (false deities)'')[16:36]. Allah's statement,

[æóíõÃöáøõ áóåõãõ ÇáØøóíøöÈóÜÊö æóíõÃóÑøöãõ Úóáóíúåöãõ ÇáúÎóÈóÜÆöËó]

(He makes lawful for them the good things, and forbids them from the evil things,) meaning, he makes the Bahirah, Sa'ibah, Wasilah and Ham, etc., lawful. They were prohibitions that they invented which were only hard for themselves. He also forbids them from evil things, such as the flesh of the pig, Riba, and foods that were treated as lawful although Allah the Exalted had forbidden them. `Ali bin Abi Talhah reported this from Ibn `Abbas. Allah's statement,

[æóíóÖóÚõ Úóäúåõãú ÅöÕúÑóåõãú æóÇáÇøñÛúáóÜáó ÇáøóÊöì ßóÇäóÊú Úóáóíúåöãú]

(He (Muhammad) releases them from their heavy burdens, and from the fetters that were upon them.) indicates that Muhammad came with leniency and an easy religion. As mentioned in the Hadith recorded from many routes that Allah's Messenger said,

«ÈõÚöËúÊõ ÈöÇáúÃóäöíÃöíøóÉö ÇáÓøóãúÃóÉ»

(I was sent with the easy way of Hanifiyyah [monotheism]) The Prophet said to the two Commanders he appointed, Mu`adh and Abu Musa Al-Ash`ari, when he sent them to Yemen,

«ÈóÔøöÑóÇ æóáóÇ ÊõäóÃøöÑóÇ æóíóÓøöÑóÇ æóáóÇ ÊõÚóÓøöÑóÇ æóÊóØóÇæóÚóÇ æóáóÇ ÊóÎúÊóáöÃóÇ»

(Bring glad tidings and do not drive people away, make things easy and do not make them difficult, obey each other and do not differ among yourselves). Abu Barzah Al-Aslami, the Prophet's Companion, said, "I accompanied the Messenger of Allah and saw how easy he was. The nations that were before us had things made difficult for them in their laws. Allah made the law encompassing and easy for this Ummah. Hence the statement of the Messenger of Allah,

«Åöäøó Çááåó ÊóÌóÇæóÒó áöÃõãøóÊöí ãóÇ ÃóÃøóËóÊú Èöåö ÃóäúÃõÓõåóÇ ãóÇ áóãú ÊóÞõáú Ãóæú ÊóÚúãóá»

(Allah has forgiven my Ummah for what occurs in themselves, as long as they do not utter it or act upon it.) The Prophet said,

«ÑõÃöÚó Úóäú ÃõãøóÊöí ÇáúÎóØóÃõ æóÇáäøöÓúíóÇäõ æóãóÇ ÇÓõÊõßúÑöåõæÇ Úóáóíúå»

(My Ummah was forgiven (by Allah) unintentional errors, forgetfulness and what they are forced to do.)'' This is why Allah has guided this Ummah to proclaim,

[ÑóÈøóäóÇ áÇó ÊõÄóÇÎöÃúäó Åöä äøóÓöíäó Ãóæú ÃóÎúØóÃúäóÇ ÑóÈøóäóÇ æóáÇó ÊóÃúãöáú Úóáóíúäó ÅöÕúÑðÇ ßóãóÇ ÃóãóáúÊóåõ Úóáóì ÇáøóÃöíäó ãöä ÞóÈúáöäóÇ ÑóÈøóäóÇ æóáÇó ÊõÃóãøöáúäóÇ ãóÇ áÇó ØóÇÞóÉó áóäóÇ Èöåö æóÇÚúÃõ ÚóäøóÇ æóÇÛúÃöÑú áóäóÇ æóÇÑúÃóãúäó ÃóäÊó ãóæúáóÜäóÇ ÃóÇäúÕõÑúäóÇ Úóáóì ÇáúÞóæúãö ÇáúßóÜÃöÑöíäó]

("Our Lord! Punish us not if we forget or fall into error, our Lord! Lay not on us a burden like that which You did lay on those before us (Jews and Christians); our Lord! Put not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear. Pardon us and grant us forgiveness. Have mercy on us. You are our Mawla (Patron, Supporter and Protector) and give us victory over the disbelieving people.) [2:286] It is recorded in Sahih Muslim that [the Prophet said that] Allah the Exalted said after every one of these supplications, "I shall accept (your supplication).'' Allah's statement,

[ÃóÇáøóÃöíäó ÃóÇãóäõæÇú Èöåö æóÚóÒøóÑõæåõ æóäóÕóÑõæåõ]

(So those who believe in him, honor him, help him.) refers to respecting and honoring Muhammad ,

[æóÇÊøóÈóÚõæÇú ÇáäøõæÑó ÇáøóÃöì ÃõäÒöáó ãóÚóåõ]

(and follow the light which has been sent down with him,) the Qur'an and the revelation [sunnah] that the Prophet delivered to mankind,

[ÃõæúáóÜÆößó åõãõ ÇáúãõÃúáöÃõæäó]

(it is they who will be successful.) in this life and the Hereafter.

Salam.

no opinion please

The following is the hadith from Sunan al-Dârimî.

Muhammad Ibn al-cAlâ' told us that Ibn Numayr reported from Mujâlid from Ibn cAamir from Jâbir that cUmar Ibn al-Khattâb brought a copy of the Torah to the Prophet(P) and said: "O Apostle of God, this is a copy of the Torah." But [the Prophet] kept silent. Then cUmar started reading and the face of the Prophet kept changing. So, Abu Bakr interrupted him violently: "Don't you see the face of the Prophet(P)?" cUmar looked at the Prophet's face and said "May God preserve me from His anger and from the anger of his Apostle(P), we accepted God as Lord and Islâm as religion and Muhammad as prophet." Then the Prophet(P) said: "By the One Who owns Muhammad's soul, if Moses(P) appeared to you and you followed him and left me, you would go astray from the right path and if he were alive and reached [the time of] my prophethood he would have followed me. "

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamic-awareness(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Quran/Tafseer/daarimi.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamic-awareness(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Quran/Tafseer/daarimi.html[/url]

Salam.

that proves nothing

again it is only an opinion of one man and one which appears to have been handed down from one to another to another in the same fashion as our modern day telephone party game

someone got the message from someone else who got it from somewhere else and so on

as in the telephone game it is highly likely that the original message was corrupted if it was indeed even sent at all

please try again

that proves nothing

again it is only an opinion of one man and one which appears to have been handed down from one to another to another in the same fashion as our modern day telephone party game

someone got the message from someone else who got it from somewhere else and so on

as in the telephone game it is highly likely that the original message was corrupted if it was indeed even sent at all

please try again

You sound very bitter. What do you need from us if you've already made up your mind? Because I can already predict that if you continue in this fashion, anything we say will be met with "ehhh, not good enough".

Salam.

no opinion please

Well, sister Redeem beat me to it.

yet the gospels were not handed down until the time of jesus

over 1400 years after the time of moses

the obvious problem is that since the gospel has not yet been revealed at moses time

nobody was able to find anything in this nonexisting gospel

muhammad was indeed unlettered

that is to say that he was not well educated in the earlier scriptures and this is a quite obvious blunder

which is hard to reconcile with divine authorship let alone with the direct speech of god in response to moses

The unlettered Prophet(pbuh) is certainly not Moses(pbuh). The unlettered Prophet is Muhammad(pbuh).

Read this link, it answers your dilemma: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamic-awareness(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Quran/Contrad/External/timeleap.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamic-awareness(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Quran/Con...l/timeleap.html[/url]

if that which is given as evidence of authenticity for muhamma's prophethood turns out to be false

what then is the conclusion we have to draw from that

The Jewish and Christian books that are today known as the Torah and the Gospel, or rather Gospels, are not the Torah and the Gospel.

that proves nothing

please try again

LOL at the description of "modern telephone party game" - utterly ignorant . This couldn't be further away from the truth. The hadiths were not passed in a fashion that you would call a "modern day telephone party game". They were passed in a scholarly setting and memorised as jewls of information, they weren't treated as games for fun, nor were they in a party setting.

Edited by Younes Ibn Abd' al-Aziz

so then you are fully convinced of the lies

someone said so thus it must be true

surely muslims are wise enough to say what they mean and mean what they say

thus when you as muslims refer to muhammad as unlettered and further explain that meaning as illiterate as illustrated below you cast him in an even more noncredible light

I don't know if any of us have what it takes to actually convince you of this, but unlettered means illiterate, as in can't read or write at ALL, not just unlettered in the scripture

by phrasing it as you have you imply that muhammad was an illiterate

how then could he have understood what scriptures he did encounter

LOL at the description of "modern telephone party game" - utterly ignorant . This couldn't be further away from the truth. The hadiths were not passed in a fashion that you would call a "modern day telephone party game". They were passed in a scholarly setting and memorised as jewls of information, they weren't treated as games for fun, nor were they in a party setting.

so then you strike me as not much more literate than your beloved prophet if you cannot understand that i was not implying that the hadiths were or are a game

the implication here is that the words did not come down directly but from one to another to another with open opportunity that something was lost or corrupted along the way

this is a consequence of oral traditions which would have been necessary if muhammad was as illiterate as stated

please understand that i say that not as a personal attack so much as an observation

the implication here is that the words did not come down directly but from one to another to another with open opportunity that something was lost or corrupted along the way

I understood this silly implication the first time around, thanks. Again - utterly ignorant.

I understood this silly implication the first time around, thanks. Again - utterly ignorant.

how so

you dont deny the oral heritage

you dont deny that when we pass things on through multiple channels then things can be corrupted along the way

remember that these are humans that we are discussing with all the human fallibilities in place

since humans are involved in the process how can you or anyone else say that the quran and the hadiths are perfect and not corrupted or altered in some way

you may say that there is only one official quran and that these are the actual words of Allah swt

but neither you or i nor anyone else alive today or within the past fourteen hundred years can go back and replay the words of Allah swt

recall too that language changes and that word meanings change over time

what we read and how we interpret this scripture is according to our modern language and the original message may not actually be what we say it is today

thus we have to assume that what is written in the quran or in any other holy scripture is indeed as it was handed down

we know what happens when we assume

therefore we cannot presume that the quran as todays muslims understand it is actually the real quran as spoken by Allah swt

todays quran may actually be as close to the original quran as a roll of toilet paper

how so

you dont deny the oral heritage

you dont deny that when we pass things on through multiple channels then things can be corrupted along the way

remember that these are humans that we are discussing with all the human fallibilities in place

since humans are involved in the process how can you or anyone else say that the quran and the hadiths are perfect and not corrupted or altered in some way

you may say that there is only one official quran and that these are the actual words of Allah swt

but neither you or i nor anyone else alive today or within the past fourteen hundred years can go back and replay the words of Allah swt

First of all, I'd like to ask you in all seriousness, do you think your the first person to have thought of this, or that only in the last century or so have these questions entered the minds of men. Let me tell you, Muslims thought of these questions from the get-go. I'll take the Qur'an as an example. How do we know the Qur'an is preserved? Due to corraboration. The Qur'an was passed through different multiple channels - in other words it was mass-narrated - and all the narrations agree, therefore, the Qur'an is proven to be have been authentically transmitted. The Companions of the Prophet thought of this fourteen hundred years ago and came up with an excellent way of preserving information which was implemented by them and the scholars of the past, and this method is still implemented today in the scholarly circles.

recall too that language changes and that word meanings change over time

what we read and how we interpret this scripture is according to our modern language and the original message may not actually be what we say it is today

The Muslims preserved the Arabic lexicon very well. One of the reasons why Muslims became very interested in the preservation and the study of the Arabic language is because the Qur'an was revealed in Arabic. The Companions of the Prophet(pbuh) explained difficult, uncommon words found in the Qur'an to their students, although the amount of uncommon, difficult words in the Qur'an is very minute, they still exist. Even simple words were explained! One of the reasons why classical Arabic has remained unchanged is due to the scholars who preserved the language, its lexicon, grammar etc.

todays quran may actually be as close to the original quran as a roll of toilet paper

I was going to tell you that I liked the tone of this post much more than I liked the "telephone games"-post because you actually come up with valid questions in this one, but then at the end I find again an utterly ridiculous and ignorant remark.

Edited by Younes Ibn Abd' al-Aziz

If "Jihad commando" here were half interested in learning about the sciences of the Hadiths and preservation of the Qur'an, he would go out and find out. Instead, he's been gobbling up every word he's been reading on Anti-Islamic website #245427 and regurgitating it on the forum.

There are two kinds of people. Those who wish to exchange ideas and opinions with the intention of benefiting from one another. Or those with tunnel-vision who think they're right because they believe they've been graced with a fine-tuned intuition and wish to force feed others what their deluded minds have managed to conjure.

The Qur'an, a book that has been passed own orally for 1400 years due to rigorous memorization and that has been diligently guarded by the Sahaba, the Tabi'een and the Muslims who came after them, is as original as a roll of tissue paper? How deluded. If you don't want to follow Islam, that's your ultimate loss. But don't try to tell us that Islam is flawed when the only flawed thing is your lack of knowledge and your desperate excuses.

Salam.