Islamic Forum
seven

Ip Address'

asalamu alaikum

sorry to make this out in the open like this but i have heard rumors that on forums... not only the admin but the moderators can see your IP address...

this is not safe... i mean say and im not saying they will but say if one of the mods decides to play some dirty tricks... they wont have to work hard will they...!

Dot, as for the safety of people... if you could hide the IPs from the moderators and leave them only visible for yourself... is that possible?

if this is a sensitive topic and one which should not be discussed out in the open, i am sorry and feel free to wipe it off the board...!

PropellerAds

Hey Can u let me know where you got this info from..?..PLs...

wa alikum salam,

brother which mod do you really think will actuly bother to play "dirty tricks" on members, the team have better things to do, i say this without boasting brother dot chooses the mods carefully. the mods require the ip to do certain things to ensure certain rules and regulations are kept. we do not use the ip for malicous acts and i,m sure brother dot will remove any mod who abuses their power.

jazakallah khairyun

They see your PMs too my lovely.

:D

It's true the mods can see your IP.

But then again, if you go to any website the webmaster can see your IP.

If you send/receive a file that person can see your IP.

If you play games on a server, the admin will be able to see your IP.

I wouldn't really worry about it, especially considering this is an "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.google(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/search?q=Islamic+forum&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official"]Islamic forum[/url], and we would expect that the mods would maintain their decency and humility here. You just have to trust them.

But if you're really paranoid, I suggest you look into a "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Proxy_server"]proxy server[/url]. At least, then you'll be able to maintain a decent level of anonymity.

Some free proxy servers:

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.anonymizer(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.anonymizer(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/[/url]

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.free-proxy-servers(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.free-proxy-servers(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/[/url]

The only way to keep your IP unknown, is not to connect to the web. Thats a well known fact, brothers. Its very easy to reveal anyone's IP address.

As for forums, it is necessary to log your IP address when you register, when you post...etc. We use this info confidentially for essential admenistarial tasks, like statistics and activities, and never outside the boundaries of this forum.

As for your PMs and Emails, all your activities in IF is logged and can be reviewed regularly by the admin. That is why we always advise all members to follow the Islamic code of ethics whenever making any contact through IF contact facilities. Your privacy is totally guaranteed against all members, except the admin, who may ban any member found to be abusing the use of IF contact facilities.

asalaamu alaikum

JAzakallah akhi dot and akhi slave , just wanted to tell D-ZiNeR that inshallah we should think good of our brothers and sisters especially the moderating team .

and we have a saying in arabic akhi ãä ��Ñ ��ÑÉ áÃÎíå æÞÚ �íåÇ translated whom ever digs a whole for his brother to fall in, he himself will fall in it .

shukran

Edited by Al Faqeer

u can track emails sent to another person in the group, is this by just clicking the email option, how can u really monitor email, if I don't send it through IF?

Bro D, mods at least on this forum don't play dirtry tricks :D Alhamdulillah we have a great team, and in the event la samahallah one should do that I would think he/she would be found out.

We have our facilities to keep IF and its memebers safe and not to misuse it. :D

Guest amani

i dont think any of the mods would want to track down anyone :D or play any dirty tricks.

Asalamu Alaykum

Well said amu Dot :D

Akhi D....as though us mods don't have better things to do :D .....mhmm. Like brother Slave said we need to see it for some rules to be put into action. No one has the time to pull 'dirty tricks'

chill...

I wouldn't dream of doing anything like that bro. :D

Assalamu'Alaikum

A couple of points to bear in mind....

1) Every single site you visit logs your IP address - it helps the webmaster / company to maintain statistics as a guide to the number of visits / unique visitors, country of origin of visits and so on

2) Unless you have your own fixed IP it will always be changing as ISPs (Internet Service Providers) issue dynamic IP addresses - each time you connect you will have a different IP although it will fall within a given range specific to the ISP

3) If you connect through a LAN such as from work or college the computer will have a unique IP on the LAN but the IP registered on the forum will be that of the organistaion

4) To check your IP address try a site such as:

"checkip.dyndns/"]checkip.dyndns/[/url]

5) If you are concerned there is a large range of software available that will hide your true IP address - be ware of some of the free ones as they may have problems of their own - adware, spyware etc.

6)I am sure that the brothers and sisters who moderate this forum do not have either the time or the inclination to "play dirty tricks"

I always hear that ones IP address should not be known to other person.

But what harm can someone do by knowing our IP address. And what are the protection we can use against such harm.

I know that mentioning the harm which can be done by knowing someone's IP address will not be such a good idea. But can someone mention the steps we can take to secure ourselves against the harm.

Edited by AaTk