Islamic Forum
Imaan_

I Need Help Understanding...

Asalam malakum :sl:

I was just thinking. In Chrisitiany, the religion I was raised in, we had priests & nuns and all those other fancy higher people in the religion.

In Islam, I know there is something called a sheikh. Is he or she anything like a priest?

Also, in Christianity, we have sacraments: Reconciliation [Confession of sins], Communion [body & Blood of christ], Conformation [anoiting of the holy gifts], and marriage. Is there anything like that in Islam? Would I have to make them?

I just want to clear this up. I was a little confused about it and I really want to be educated about some things before I enter Islam :sl:

Thank you for your time!

Salam!

PropellerAds

Dear NikkiLizz.,

No, there is no priest or any such character in Islam. You see in Christianity, the key of the religion revolves around the church. At first it was one, and when ideological differences ensued they became many. The church has priests who act as conduits of forgiveness, receivers of confession (in catholicism) and awarders of pardon. That is what provides the church its use and position.

Islam is the religion of God, and God judges the individual, and forgiveness is asked directly from the forgiver and it is up to God to forgive. So there are no priests or church or bishops. A Sheikh is not an ordained person of holiness, but traditionally an Arabic title of respect given to a man of knowledge and maturity (Linguistically and technically it means just an old man). It is used sometimes with a person who have studied a lot that he can guide other muslims in any queries they have about their religion and life, and would be able to conduct teaching sessions and lead prayers using his reportoire of memorized Quran. Thanks to the academic tools of today and learning channels, we have many people who have reached great levels of knowledge at a relatively young age, they are more commonly now known as scholars (ulemaa), with Sheikh being given out of respect for an established senior one.

There are no sacraments in Islam, again because there is no church. There are prayers though that are performed daily, fasting the month of Ramadan and optionally other days, and other acts of worship that you will learn when you join Islam insha Allah. There are rituals performed at Hajj, which is the pilgrimage that every muslim needs to perform at least once in their lives if they can, including circling the Kaaba seven times, and casting stones at the pillars that mark the spots where the devil used to appear to Ibrahim -Alayhi Assalam.

Don't worry about needing to learn things to enter Islam. The only thing you need is that you believe in the one true God, and that Mohammed is his true messenger. Pronounce the Shahada: "Ash-hadu Alla 'Elaha 'Ella 'Allah, wa Anna Mohammadan Rasoolo Allah" (I proclaim that there is no god but Allah, and that Mohammad is his Apostle). That is what you need. Then find the prayer section (very good one right here in this forum) and begin learning from then.

And congratulations on embracing the truth.

Sam

:sl:

"Sheikh" is a title of respect given to someone who has scholarly knowledge of Islam. It's not an official title, it's simply a label put before a name, just like "Mr" or "Mrs."

Muslims repent for sins directly to Allah, so there is nothing like it in Islam. The things that are done at the Masjid are usually listening to the friday sermons before Salaat or other lectures during the rest of the days (as well as religious classes and other things).

And yes, there is marriage in Islam. :sl: I probably misunderstood what you meant by that.

I know this isn't specific enough for you and I'm probably forgetting something but please feel free to ask more questions. And as brother Sampharo said, don't worry too much about it, you already know what you need to know. Take your Shahada and take everything else one thing at a time. Insha'Allah, everything will go smoothly.

Ahaha :sl: Thank you so much, Brother Sam & Sister Redeem!

That truly clears alot up, more of an understanding.

I'm sorry, but another question :sl: Lol.

What is a traditional Muslim wedding or marriage? I'm only 16 so I'm obviously not getting married right now, but it would be great to know.

Salam!

Assalamo Alaykom

Peace

The traditional Islamic wedding/marriage goes simply like this: http://nikah(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/partner.php?adbanner=32t6k0e ( the official part in the Masjid ) is when you and your fiancée go to the Masjid and the imam makes sure that you both are willing to this marriage, there are the witnesses and you write this document. And that's pretty much it explained in a simple way. :sl: After that most have their wedding party, which there will be food, guests etc. just any kinda party you like to have. Of course in Islamic manners, males and females in separate areas and so on.. :sl:

InshaAllah this answered your question. If not, then inshaAllah other sisters/brothers can help you out.

And BTW, I am a revert to Islam too, I was 17 (I had just turned 17 then) when I said my shahada. So if you'd like any information or tips I am happy to help you out inshaAllah. :no:

May Allah subhaanahu wa taala guide you to the right path and keep your heart firm in His deen, ameen.

Wasalaam,

UmmMaher

Edited by Umm Maher

Salam, UmmMaher :sl:

Thank you for that. I figured there would be a party but I wasn't so sure of a ceremony or anything. Sounds nice, though. I still have a good 10 years to find my man & get married :sl: Ahaha.

I can't wait to revert! I'm only 16 but I know I'm smart enough to make my own choices and Islam, is for sure by far, one of my best choices :no: Thanks for the offer. And being you said that ... think you can tell me how you came to Islam, your family's reaction & how your life changed? I don't mean to get personal, but I'd like to hear as many different reactions & life changing expierences so I would know how mine might go and what to expect, you know?

Assalamu Alaikum Nikki, InshaAllah UmmMaher will come back to you soon, until she does you can check the link below and you will find many stories from people who have converted to Islam, some of them are very touching. I am sure you wil be able to relate to some.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showforum=78.html&"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showforum=78.html&[/url]

Assalamu Alaikum.

Wa Alaykom

InshaAllah I will send you a PM later so the mods wont get mad at me from writing off-topic ;D

Wasalaam,

UmmMaher

Salam, sister!

Thanks alot, umAhmad :sl: A few actually did relate. They're very touching, indeed.

Hopefully, I'll be able to tell my story soon and have a good ending to it :sl: Lol.

Hopefully, I'll be able to tell my story soon and have a good ending to it :sl: Lol.

:sl:

Insha'Allah, we look forward to hearing about your story. I have to say that my mood has been lifted lately and it's because of seeing your evident joy and excitement about joining the ranks of the Muslims. :no: Truly inspiring.

Remember that we're always here for you and any time you need support, please don't hesitate to turn to Gawaher.

Thank you sister!

I can't wait to tell my story. Hehe :sl:

And I'm very glad I am making you happy! I wish people could understand the joy & happiness I'm feeling since I decided Islam is the way :sl: