Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
.:Saira:.

Help Me Tell The Bbc To Cancel Gay Muslims Publicity

As-salam 'Aalykum,

Brothers and Sisters, I feel very strongly on this matter and was very angry when I heard of this. Let me explain.

In the UK, there's a major tv channel called the BBC, and a very popular soap they air is 'Eastenders'. Personally, I hate it and never watch it, feeling it's just full of filfth, however it is incredibly popular amongst other British people. They wish to show a storyline involving a gay Muslim man,

Read this article for more info: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8072720.stm"]news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8072720.stm[/url]

I'm very angry that they even thought of the idea and wrote to the BBC the following:

"Recently I've heard that EastEnders are wishing to tackle a storyline about a gay Muslim man. Firstly, I am absolutely furious that such an idea was even contemplated by the scriptwriters, and secondly that the BBC has decided to go ahead with it.

Having homosexual storylines is enough for the majority of Muslims throughout the country to turn of their TVs, but to feature a plot like this would completely enrage them, similarly to the way I am now.

Being homosexual is sinful and heavily shunned upon in Islam. To show this storyline could cause unbelievable unrest in Britain’s Muslim societies, and I assure you I will not be the only one to complain, and there are many others with much more extreme views who may go further than writing a letter; expect protests and national outrage from Muslims all around the UK if this storyline was aired.

In the article I read, informing me of the upcoming plot, EastEnders executive producer stated “Sometimes there's a danger of being too careful with black or Asian characters that we might go into territories that might offend†Of all the storylines the scriptwriters could have chosen for the on-screen Muslim family, this is by far what will cause offence on an immeasurable scale. The article also hinted that it’s a bid to reach out to a wider audience such as the diverse multi-cultural society there is in Britain today, this, however, would only deter Muslims away from this show and possibly the whole of the BBC. Statistics taken from ‘The Guardian’ newspaper showed that Muslims had a zero tolerance policy on homosexuality (See link below), so how I ask will this storyline branch out to Muslim communities? How will it do any benefit but further increase the gap between British Muslims and British society, which already is so painstakingly wide?

If the BBC truly wanted to do service to the Muslim communities it would definitely cancel the storyline, as the prevention of this causing offence would be much better than trying to apologize once millions of Muslims are already infuriated after the episode’s showing. To prevent problems to both British Society and the BBC, I strongly suggest that this storyline is completely cancelled immediately, in the hope that the incredible harm already done can possibly be repaired.

British Muslim Poll - (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetguardian.co.uk/uk/2009/may/07/muslims-britain-france-germany-homosexuality"]you are not allowed to post links yetguardian.co.uk/uk/2009/may/07/muslims-britain-france-germany-homosexuality[/url]

What they replied back I can't copy here as it's 'confidential' :sl: but they had said that they had consulted muslims before going ahead with it, the Muslim they 'consulted' was Yusuf Wehebi from Imaan - an organisation that supports gay Muslims.

I would like your help to also complain to the BBC, they replied but dismissed the idea of cancelling the storyline. I feel if enough people complain they will have to take it more seriously.

A letter is not needed, even a simple sentence stating "I feel the gay Muslim storyline on Eastenders should be cancelled" would be enough to let the BBC know it's unsettling more people.

You can complain using the the link below. If you do complain, a post here informing me that you have would be appreciated, so I know roughly how many people are. It won't take much time, but I'd be grateful for your help :sl:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetbbc.co.uk/complaints/complaints_stage1.shtml"]you are not allowed to post links yetbbc.co.uk/complaints/complaints_stage1.shtml[/url]

Many thanks

Fixed links

-Redeem

PropellerAds

:sl:

This is a huge fitnah and I am truly disgusted by it. Reading the BBC article and the opinion of that man, Yusuf Wehebi, turned my stomach. What utter lies against Islam. Such people need to be reminded of what happened to the people of prophet Lut.

I have voiced my disapproval on the website, although there was one thing I wanted to make sure.

When you are filling out the complaint form, they ask you which channel it is and "BBC" is not one of the options. There is BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC News Channel, Other BBC, etc.

Could you please mention which one it airs on.

Salaams peeps,

It airs on BBC1. With all due repect to the topic starter, what would be the point of protesting against this storyline? We may well be against homosexuality but it is true that there are homosexual Muslims in London. Therefore the storyline is merely a reflection of this reality.

Peace

Salaams peeps,

It airs on BBC1. With all due repect to the topic starter, what would be the point of protesting against this storyline? We may well be against homosexuality but it is true that there are homosexual Muslims in London. Therefore the storyline is merely a reflection of this reality.

Peace

It exposes more people to homosexuality (the lives and habits of homosexual Muslims) and normalizes it in the eyes of more Muslims. We should fight this fitnah in any way we can, if only for the reason of showing our disgust for it. Reality should be Islam and reflections of perversity and deviency shouldn't be accepted as being common place and normal in Muslim society, nor should they be tolerated/ignored. I know your point is that there is no difference between society and the TV program, but whereas we can't force people to turn from homosexuality in a non-Muslim nation, we should take the opportunity to fight it in any way we can. Just my two cents.

I agree Josh that there are gay people in London of every colour and creed, however what Redeem has said is right. Constantly showing gay people on television normalises it, to the point where now even straight people are''acting gay'' etc.

I am not a fan of this advertisement of homosexuality and I applaud the Muslim community for having a zero tolerance stance towards it. I hope the storyline is canned.

God bless.

Salaams peeps,

I agree with what's been said, absolutely. The reason I raised the question is that TV, especially trivial things like soaps have so much fitnah within them that protesting almost seems fruitless. Adultery, violence, drinking, drugs and countless other evils are commonplace on TV. As Muslims we have zero tolerance on many things but do not protest the majority of what is shown on the screen. But regardless, I commend the efforts of everyone trying to fight any form of fitnah in our societies.

Peace

Salaam

Just want to say thank you original poster for bringing this to people's attention. I have just submitted my complaint and hope that our complaints are taken into consideration.

I agree with Josh (believe it or not). There ARE gay Muslims and they're not going to go away. In fact, I think you'll see more in the future when more 'Easterners' assimilate to 'Western' life and freedoms. The gays are there in Muslim nations but they're scared to 'come out' because of the ramifications, i.e. murder.

Asalaamu alaikum

Yeh it's true a lot of so called muslims in the uk watch Eastenders and it is filled with utter rubbish. It degraces all us muslims because have you even seen what the masood family are like?! I think they are more hindus than muslims. And like the bbc are REALLY gonna stop showing Eastenders. Before my mum came to Islam she said that she used to watch it as a little kid. It's been on for over 28 years!!! And it's really popular! But I still will complain sis but I honestly doubt they're going to stop it. All they wanna do is corrupt muslims in the uk. You honestly have NO idea how many 'muslims' watch it. It's nothing but filth. Who's dating who. Who' sleeping with who even if they are married. It's filth...it' BELOW filth! A LOT of kids my age and younger are watching it, and I'm only 12! This is all jus another media scam with ideolgy behind it. May Allah abstain us from all this fitnah. Ameen.

Wasalaam

Umm Khattab.

As-salam 'Aalykum,

I thank you all for helping to rise against it. Insh' Allah we shall get this storyline cancelled before it's aired, and at least show the BBC our complete disgust!

I strongly urge everyone to complain, whether you live in Britain or not, even the Christians who are part of this forum, from what I understand it is very sinful in Christianity too. Peter_J, thank you for hoping the storyline is cancelled, but even better than hoping is if you complain, your help would be much appreciated.

Josh0335, Poverty goes on in the world and is reality, does that mean no one should feed the poor to try to help? Does that mean the people of the world should be left to starve? Murder is a reality, does that mean we should not punish it? Josh0335, I hope you can see how shameful homosexuality is and how it is for us to stop this ridiculous storyline. I understand British soaps are filled with so much disgusting filth that rising against it all could take forever, however this time it involves a character who is a Muslim man. This will make people think it is acceptable in Islam, and even some young muslims who watch the filth may even start to think it's acceptable, or maybe even the older ones too! Society is becoming more liberal and straying from Islamic values, we must do all that we can to stop it. So again, please do not just commend our efforts, help!

Sister, Umm Khattab, I absolutely hate the soap too. Your description of 'BELOW FILTH' fits brilliantly :sl: I have not seen how the 'Masoods' are like, but I'm pretty sure it's very un-Islamic! Indeed, I feel the BBC just want to corrupt muslims and slander our religion, it must be stopped! Especially after following their refusal to air Palestinian Aid adverts!!!!! They can air a gay Muslim storyline to 'do service to Muslims' but they can't publicise Palestinian Aid!!!

Please, everyone, complain if you can, even a short sentence will do! :sl:

Also, is this post getting enough attention here? Is there any where in the forum more people may look at it? I really hope we can stop this storyline airing but we're going to need more people. Insh' Allah, it will be cancelled.

What is the transmission date? And yes, homosexual behaviour is sinful in Christianity just as it is in Islam.

Edited by Peter_J

I don't know the exect day but sometime next month, within the coming weeks, I think. To complain you don't need the transmission date though I just wrote the Programme 'Eastenders' and the Channel 'BBC1'.

I really wish the BBC weren't being so stupid, deliberately picking contraversial subjects :sl:

Wa Alaykom Assalam Wa RahmatuAllahi Wa Barakatuh

It exposes more people to homosexuality (the lives and habits of homosexual Muslims) and normalizes it in the eyes of more Muslims. We should fight this fitnah in any way we can, if only for the reason of showing our disgust for it.

I'm 100% on your side sister. I just made the complaint. JazakiAllahu khayran for bringing this subject up. :sl:

I'm completely disgusted by homosexuality. And the way it is accepted in western countries :sl:

The worst thing is that there are "muslims" who are supporting homosexuality. What is that? Come on..It's a SIN. PERIOD.

You can call me a racist or narrow-minded person, or anything you like. I am against homosexuality.

Wasalaam,

Safiyyah

I'm completely disgusted by homosexuality. And the way it is accepted in western countries :sl:

The worst thing is that there are "muslims" who are supporting homosexuality. What is that? Come on..It's a SIN. PERIOD.

You can call me a racist or narrow-minded person, or anything you like. I am against homosexuality.

Wasalaam,

Safiyyah

Saffiyah, nobody can call you a racist for that, as they are not a race :sl:

I am angry at the West for this forcing of homosexuality onto us via the media.

I got my reply and although I can't publish it I can say it was all feelgood nonsense about people from all backgrounds being included.

replying to Josh,

I agree, there are homosexual muslims. I do know a few.

If you have a problem with the show the best thing to do is simply a silent protest by simply not watching the show.

The saying goes, theres no such thing as bad publicity.

If you make a large protest it will make the show more popular.

Do you know how well harry potter book burning parties workeed? Zero.

They helped publize and hurt the cause they were working for.

For those that are against homosexuality, does it hold the same value as other sins?

Do you hold it to the same disgust as other sins? I do not know much about sin in hte quran so id like some answers.

(some what referring to chrisitans who are against homosexuality as a sin but ignore others such as eating crab.)

Hi,

(As I have got in trouble for this before I would just like to point out that I am not preaching, I am correcting something the poster above me said)

Just like to point out, eating crab is not a sin in Chritianity.

Yes I'm well aware of the Old Testament passage you're going to copy and paste from an online Bible site, however those are ritual laws which no longer apply.

God bless.

If you have a problem with the show the best thing to do is simply a silent protest by simply not watching the show.

Silent protest could just as easily be construed as silent approval. Or it could be taken to mean that no one cares enough to stand against it.

As for what degree of sin practicing homosexuality is, it is one of the major sins. There are over 50 major sins, and practicing homosexuality is among the worst of them.

The Qur'an says in Surah Al-A'raf:

80. “And (remember) Lut (Lot), when he said to his people: ‘Do you commit lewdness such as none preceding you has committed in all of the nations?"

81. 'Verily, you practise your lusts on men instead of women. Nay, but you are a people transgressing beyond bounds (by committing great sins).’

82. And the answer of his people was only that they said: ‘Drive them out of your town, these are indeed men who want to be pure (from sins)!’

83. Then We saved him and his family, except his wife; she was of those who remained behind (in the torment).

84. And We rained down on them a rain (of stones). Then see what was the end of the Mujrimoon (criminals, polytheists and sinners)â€

I cant wait till i can quote.

Peter, the crab was jstu something off the top of myhead. But it goes along the lines that many christians pick and choose what they follow or not. They also decide what they consider worse than others. (for instance where does jesus say that homosexuality is bad? its only OT isnt it? and if your throwing out OT then where is your basis?)

For Redeem, do you hold homosexuality to the same vileness that you hold the other 50 major sins? (what do you mean by major? Are there grades of sin in the quran? It was my uinderstanding that all sins are equally bad.)

You also said homosexuality is among the worse of them. Do you have a list of these major sins?

I do agree that silent protest can be seen as approval. My point is that in openly protesting you may hurt your cause. More people may end up waching the show that never even heard of it due to the controversy.

For Redeem, do you hold homosexuality to the same vileness that you hold the other 50 major sins? (what do you mean by major? Are there grades of sin in the quran? It was my uinderstanding that all sins are equally bad.)

You also said homosexuality is among the worse of them. Do you have a list of these major sins?

I do agree that silent protest can be seen as approval. My point is that in openly protesting you may hurt your cause. More people may end up waching the show that never even heard of it due to the controversy.

You can quote if you click the "quote" button on the bottom right of the post (which turns it red) and then click add reply. To quote multiple posts, you click the quote button on each post and then click add reply.

You are very right that protesting something can create more attention than it would have had to begin with. But at the same time...perhaps it might capture the attention of more Muslims who will then speak out against it, and prevent such a thing from being aired again in the future. I really can't say, one thing we can be sure of is that change won't occur without getting the ball rolling.

Homosexuality is considered to be worse than some sins, but not as horrible as others. Here is an explanation of what major sins are, followed by a compiled list of major sins in Islam, in no particular order (sodomy is #11): (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503547542"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satelli...d=1119503547542[/url]

You are very right that protesting something can create more attention than it would have had to begin with. But at the same time...perhaps it might capture the attention of more Muslims who will then speak out against it, and prevent such a thing from being aired again in the future. I really can't say, one thing we can be sure of is that change won't occur without getting the ball rolling.

Homosexuality is considered to be worse than some sins, but not as horrible as others. Here is an explanation of what major sins are, followed by a compiled list of major sins in Islam, in no particular order (sodomy is #11): you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satelli...d=1119503547542

wow thanks, other forums have done quoting differently...

Then id suggest keeping the complainets with int hte community and not do anything public.

Ill check out the link thanks.

IM not sure if i shoudl ask it here or elsewhere, but the sins seem to vary greatly. However since they are all great sins do you hold gossipers to the same degree?

And does the koran say these are greater sins and why or just says they are.

Thanks.

IM not sure if i shoudl ask it here or elsewhere, but the sins seem to vary greatly. However since they are all great sins do you hold gossipers to the same degree?

And does the koran say these are greater sins and why or just says they are.

Thanks.

I thought at first about moving our discussion over to another topic as it seems out of place here, but I'm not sure how long it will last and wouldn't want to create a new topic for one or two more posts. But if you'd like to discuss the issue extensively, I'll gladly do so.

The degree of the major sins do range, they are not all on the same level. For example, Shirk (associating partners with Allah) is THE worst major sin. Of that, there is no doubt.

Kindness to one's parents is often mentioned alongside worshipping Allah:

And your Lord has Qada [decreed] that you worship none but Him. And that you be dutiful to your parents. [17:23]

So judging by the context in which it is mentioned (being dutiful to parents is second to worshipping Allah), disrespecting one's parents is a very grave sin.

Gossiping, or more specifically backbiting, is also mentioned in the Qur'an and the description of it is very averse. It is described as being similar to cannibalism in its disgusting nature.

O you who believe! Avoid much suspicion; indeed some suspicion is sin. And spy not, neither backbite one another. Would one of you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother? You would hate it. And have fear of Allah. Verily, Allah is the One Who forgives and accepts repentance, Most Merciful. [49:12]

There are seven that are classified in their own category as being the Seven Great Destructive Sins, as stated by prophet Muhammad: "To join others in worship along with Allah, to practise sorcery, to kill the life that Allah has forbidden except for a just cause (according to Islamic law), to eat up Riba (usury, interest), to eat up the orphan’s wealth, to show one’s back to the enemy and fleeing from the battlefield at the time of fighting, and to accuse the chaste women, who never even think of anything touching chastity and are good believers."

I couldn't give you a proper rank of each major sin, I really don't know. Nor could I tell you where homosexuality fits into the list. But what we do know is that it is a major sin and against the commandments of Allah.

Sins are classified as minor or major depending on the gravity and consequences such sins have on the individual or on society as a whole, and the extent with which they were mentioned in the Qur'an or how they were dealt with. I.e. all sins that nations before us were destroyed for are classified as major sins (homosexuality being one of them).

I cant wait till i can quote.

Peter, the crab was jstu something off the top of myhead. But it goes along the lines that many christians pick and choose what they follow or not. They also decide what they consider worse than others. (for instance where does jesus say that homosexuality is bad? its only OT isnt it? and if your throwing out OT then where is your basis?)

Hi again,

The Laws regarding homosexuality are moral laws. These were not repealed. However (in our belief and scripture) Jesus repealed the laws governing clean and unclean foods (ritual laws).

This however is getting off topic and I would not like to turn this into a Christian theology discussion as on occasion this has offended some members here.

If you would like to discuss this in depth please feel free to send me a private message.

God bless

:sl: Dear Muslims

Fact is, they could pick any controversial subjecy, such as Murder, Rape, Paedophilia, Xenophobia, Torutre etc. etc. The list is endless.

The programme has already touched a few of these issues, which i feel itself is an obvious problem.

But to pick a topic as controversial as "gay Muslims" is blatantly ignorant and distasteful. There are an endless number of issues you can comment on, but to take an insignificant number of "gay Muslims" as a lead storyline, in light of today's circumstances is painfully ignorant, and offensive to the general Muslim public.

It was a leading issue on Britain, then fair enough, i can understand why the producers may want to put it in their show, but it seems pretty obvious the producers are looking for something controversial to appeal to viewers, in a bit to increase ratings.

Sorry, but i expect this from 3rd rate trashy Tabloid journalists, not the BBC.