Islamic Forum
Assad

Is It Allowed To Write Notes,and Highlight Verses In Qur'an

Assalamu Alaikum,

Could somebody please answer to this question?

PropellerAds

No, it is not ok to write anything in the Quran, not even highlight or underlining a word or writing the name in the inside of the front folder. The only thing permissible is a sticker on the outside folder to denote that it belongs to a Masjid or for a student to mark that it is his book. Nothing though on the pages of the Quran.

Assalamu Alaikum, brother Sampharo, When my children were doing their Hifz, their teacher used to mark the dates on the side of the page of the Mushaf to indicate how much they did on a certain date. Also a small duaa whenever they memorized their lesson perfectly.

I do the same to my Hifz student, plus I highlight lthe duaas that come while they are reciting so the children know this particular duaa is in this place in the Qur'aan. Just yesterday I highlighted the duaa in Al Israa "RABBIR HAM HUMA KAMA RABBA YANI SAGHEERAH". in one of the girls Mushaf, also duaa for travelling etc, etc. I always do that whenever the children read the mushaf if there is a duaa I highlight it for them and write with a pencil on the side what that duaa is for.

Is there any problem with that, or is there a difference of opinion about it. I have done this as long as I can remember teaching the children mine as well as others. I would appreciate if you can please clear that up for me.

Salaam and duaas.

Hi Um Ahmed,

According to the good salaf and companions, writing anything in the Quran was forbidden. They were reluctant to even write the names of chapters and numbers for verses, and only after a long time did that work its way, necessarily reviewed though to show it is not part of the Quran (hence the chapter names come in these boxes because it is not part of the verses in that place).

ÅÈÑÇåíã ÇáäÎÚí Ýí ãÕÍÝí ÝÇÊÍÉ ÓæÑÉ ßÐÇ æßÐÇ ÝÞÇá áí: (ÇãúÍå ÝÅä ÚÈÏÇááå Èä ãÓÚæÏ ÞÇá: áÇ ÊÎáØæÇ Ýí ßÊÇÈ Çááå ãÇ áíÓ Ýíå)

Abi Hamza narrated that Imam Ibrahim Annakhee saw written in his quran a note saying "Surat so and so" as a reminder and he told him to delete it, as Abdullah Ibn Masood said "do not write anything in the Quran that wasn't of it."

Yes many schools do that even in Saudi Arabia, write notes and markers and such in the Quran, and most of the Sheikhs are repeatedly reminding schools to inform the teachers not to do so. Sheikhs and scholars have said as an alternative teachers and students can keep a separate sheet with all the notes and marks and whatnot and keep WITH the quran, or make a folder for each quran to put notes and such in the folder pockets, or as my earlier post to place a sticker on the outside spine or back folder to mark who it belongs to.

As far as I have listened from my teachers and read from authentic institutional sources, there is practical consensus on that writing within the quran dishonours it and is something that should be fixed (by deleting and cleaning) and taught.

As always there are no sins on those who didn't know, and of course as always, despite the consensus, only God knows Best

:sl:

From what i have herd asiyah (ra) use to have many notes writen on her copy.

The Quran school near my house allow marking the Quran for the purpose of memorising. I am not sure the permissibility but I have a great deal of respect for all of the Sheiks and elders there.

I don't see disrespecting or dishonoring Quran in studying it.

writing notes, or highliting is not like altering the content.

Quran is today on different mediums like ebook, dvd, software.. so i think what matters is CONTENT.

Abdullah Ibn Masood maybe said so because of the fear that Quran doesn't end up altered like a Bible.. and today

we don't have to fear of that anymore :sl:

:sl:

A person had the exact same question on Ask Huda and Shaykh Mohamad Salah said, that you are not allowed to write anything in a mus-haf. WAllahu Alam.

Salaam

I just wanted to get brother sampharo's views about what i am about to write. Couldn't it be said that the companions and the hadeeth forbade such actions because there was a possibility that it could get confused and thought to be part of the quran when it was not. And since it is now preserved in written form it is less of an issue. I understand your point about writing on it is considered disrespectful but is this believed through hadeeth or is it the arab culture that if you write on it it is considered disrespectful.

I ask this just to further my understanding and I value your views highly as you try and provide evidence as well as making a lot of sense to me

And Allah knows best and may he forgive me if I step out of line.

Wassalam

Well, it's not like we have an authenticated hadith from the prophet, so it isn't a hard-core ruling, but in my own opinion considering that salaf sources forbid it, and most scholars of today are in consensus that it dishonours the quran and shouldn't be done, so I would say stick with the post-it notes and clear separate pages tucked in with the Quran rather than test something that brings about Ithm and haraam.

What needs to be noted here is that it is not like something essential is forbidden without alternative, there is a permissible way to achieve any objectives of teaching and learning without doing this, so why bother and risk it? It is at least a highly suspect thing that can do us no good in doing while bringing about a possibility of harm. We used post it notes to mark places and verses and would copy down on a separate notebook our comments and tafsir and such, and that notebook we carry with the Quran, we were told not to write on the Quran, I wouldn't see a necessity to require exploring there.

Wallahu Aalam of course

Salaam

Jazakhallahu khair for your reply.

Wassalam

Salam

What about quoting a verse of Mushaf and highlight it?

What about highlighting text in a Translation.

Are Tajweed Musaahef permissible because they write the letters in different colors to help the reader to recite using the correct tajweed.

Assalamu alaikum, the Qur'aan was not in Mushaf form at the time of our beloved RasoolAllah Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam, it was memorized, Alhamdulillah.

I checked with my son, and his opinion was that there is nothing wrong in highlighting something to remember or even write the meaning of an Ayah. But making drawings, hearts, stars, smilies etc. or anything that would be disrspectful to the sanctity of the words of Allah would not be okay.

I might be off topic here, but this is something connected to the Respect to be given to th Qur'aan, so please give it an ear (eyes in this case) I am sure most of you have seen that during Taraweeh Salaat there are quite a few people men and women who hold the Mushaf and follow what the Imam is reading and while going in Ruku or Sajda they place the Mushaf under their arm or they put the Mushaf on the side on the floor. I find this very disespectful, but this is a very common site in our Masjid, and everyone accepts it, there are women sometimes sitting on the floor in Tashahhud and the Mushaf is placed right beside their knees or on the side beside their legs or feet..

May Allah teach us to respect the important things in life, ameen. My husband always says, the more respect we give to something the more we will gain from it. So the more respect we give to the words of Allah the more we will learn from it and gain from it.

Assalamu alaikum.

As-salaamu 'alaykum.

You can break this down very quickly.

First, is there any credible hadith that makes a statement about this? From what I've seen there isn't. Please reference one if so.

Secondly, we don't worship the Qur'an, nor can anything we do harm Allah nor his message. If writing in the Qur'an is prohibited or discouraged, the only harm it's doing is to ourselves. 

Thirdly, Allah exalted the Qur'an but Qur'an literally means recitation which is how it was revealed and how many companions first memorized it. Muhammad (s.a.w.) couldn't have written in it nor understood the act of anyone else doing so because he (s.a.w.) was illiterate; so unless someone specifically asked, then there's no ruling that can be given.

Ultimately, anything said regarding this is a guess at best and Allah will judge us on our intentions alone. So if you're writing in the Qur'an to increase your knowledge there shouldn't be an issue about it, I actually consider all the needless alternatives to be counter productive to learning as the notations aren't in order or conjunction with the Qur'an's. If you write an ayat down on a spare page without the rest of the Surah you've actually committed a sin that Allah does identify by admonishing those who figuratively tear apart the Qur'an by see separating it's words; granted that's not entirely applicable, but it's far more logical to make notations in the Qur'an rather than writing down a single ayat somewhere else which may separate the context.