Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sister Sara

Is Soy Healthy?

Salam Alekum:

As promised I will be posting some articles on the harm of Soy milk, soy beans and soy products. The only ones you should use is fermented such as miso and I personally refrain from all soy ESPECIALLY soy oil. You should be reading ingredients on products. Today went to the store and a light mayo product contains soy oil. So read so you can protect your self. Just in case anyone is wondering I have a health forum, I am not just a sister who got sick. :sl:

May the following articles help all who read.

Mercola(contact admin if its a beneficial link) - Take Control of your Health

The Whole Soy Story: The Dark Side of America's Favorite Health Food

The Whole Soy Story Are you caught up in the deceptive hype from the soy industry? If so, you have likely been convinced that soy is a health food. This belief is an unfortunate side effect of not having done your homework, relying instead on the brainwashing propaganda of the soy industry, which in many ways is not much different than that of the drug companies.

They have cleverly targeted health conscious consumers with a well thought out; well-financed campaign to convince you that soy is healthy. They were clearly effective, as "healthy soy" is one of the biggest health myths in the health food industry.

I recently had the opportunity to interview Dr. Kaayla Daniel for our Inner Circle Experts Series. I had never spoken with her before and was really amazed at the depth of her knowledge on this important topic.

The Truth About Soy

Let me assure you that if you carefully review the thousands of studies published on soy you will reach the following conclusion:

Any possible benefits of consuming soy are FAR outweighed by the well-proven risks of soy.

The problem with many of these studies is that the conclusion is NOT supported by the study, or is only partially true, with serious omissions that are conveniently excluded from the conclusion. For example, they might say that soy reduces your risk of colon cancer but neglect to state that they found it increases your risk of ten other cancers.

You could delve into these studies yourself and form your conclusion, or rely on Dr. Daniel to do this for you. She did her Ph.D. research on this topic, which eventually resulted in this book: The Whole Soy Story.

The soy industry has been so effective in their manipulation techniques that they‘ve even been able to hoodwink the FDA to allow soy to carry the health claim of reducing heart disease and cholesterol. They recently tried to snag the claim of reducing the risk of cancer, but Dr. Daniel was able to effectively prevent that claim from being approved. Had it been approved, soy consumption would likely have doubled to more than $8 billion in annual U.S. sales.

Soy Consumption and Thyroid Problems

You might be aware that thyroid problems are pandemic in the U.S., especially in women. Well, one of the major reasons for this is because of the isoflavones in soy that is being widely consumed. Soy isoflavones can damage thyroid function, and for this reason alone should be avoided.

The Dangers of Soy Infant Formula

This is perhaps the most tragic use of soy as a food. Many well intentioned parents put their infants on soy formula, either because they believe it is "healthier" or because they are allergic to traditional infant formula.

Either way, it‘s a prescription for disaster. Soy formula causes harm to your baby in two primary ways.

First, most soy formula has 80 times the amount of manganese as breast milk and can directly cause brain dysfunction. Additionally, there is the hormonal equivalent of 4-5 birth control pills in a daily dose of soy formula, which can cause significantly premature puberty and other sexual abnormalities, and an increased risk of cancer.

In my mind this product should be banned. In fact there was a recent movement in California to have that done but it failed to get passed.

Additionally, there are a number of foreign governments like israel, England, and France that have taken very strong anti-soy positions.

The Whole Soy Story is an ABSOLUTE must read if someone you know or love is convinced soy is a health food.

you are not allowed to post links yetdrmercola(contact admin if its a beneficial link)

Edited by Sister Sara

PropellerAds

Drinking Soy milk, read this.

Silk, SoyDream, Pacific Natural Foods and Vitasoy all Rebuked in New Soy Scorecard Ratings

by Mike Adams, the Health Ranger, NaturalNews Editor

(NaturalNews) The Cornucopia Institute (you are not allowed to post links yetcornucopia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)) has just released a new report about organic soy products that's sending shockwaves through the soy industry. By compiling information on the sourcing of soybeans, the use of toxic chemicals for soy protein extraction, and the use or avoidance of genetically modified soybeans, the Cornucopia Institute has created an Organic Soy Scorecard that reveals which soy product companies are truly trustworthy vs. those that are not.

(NaturalNews contributed funding to this investigative reporting, specifically on the subject of the laboratory testing for hexane residues in soy products. Thank you to all NaturalNews readers and customers who allow us to earn the funds needed to support these important public safety research initiatives.)

The scorecard (you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetcornucopia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2009/05/s...) takes into account:

• Where the soybeans are sourced from (many companies use "organic" soybeans sourced from China!)

• How the soybeans are processed (some companies bathe soybeans in toxic chemicals, then put the resulting extracts into infant formula!)

• How forthright the companies are in providing information to investigators.

• Whether the company tests for and avoids genetically modified soybeans.

... and other details.

You can read the full report on (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetCornucopia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetCornucopia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)[/url]

Here's who came out on top:

The soy companies scorecard

5-star rating

• Eden Foods - 100% of their soybeans are grown in the U.S. and Canada.

• Vermont Soy (Vermont) - 100% of soybeans also grown in U.S. and Canada (mostly in Vermont). Low-heat pasteurization helps preserve soybean nutrients.

• Small Planet Tofu (Washington) - Buys solely from American farmers.

• FarmSoy (Tennessee) - Real tofu made from soybeans bought from American farmers.

• TwinOats (Virginia) - Buys soybeans from an organic family farm in Virginia.

• Unisoya / Green Cuisine (Canada) - They grown their own organic soybeans on 400 acres.

4-star rating

• Organic Valley

• Great Eastern Sun

• Fresh Tofu

• Wildwood

• Tofu Shop

3-star rating

• Harris Teeter

2-star rating

• Trader Joe's - refused to disclose sourcing information

1-star rating

• Pacific Natural Foods - Buys soybeans from China and refused to disclose the name of the organic certifier in China. Refused to respond to questions about the certification of their "organic" soybeans. Cornucopia wonders whether Pacific Natural Foods is engaged in "a marketing gimmick" when it claims its products are "Certified to the Source." (Certified by who?)

• Vitasoy USA - Buys soybeans from China.

• Westsoy / SoyDream (both owned by Hain Celestial Group) - Refused to share sourcing information.

• Silk (Dean Foods) - Refused to participate. Says the report: Since Dean Foods acquired WhiteWave, its founder, Steve Demos, has left the company, along with almost all of the pioneering management -- those who believed in "green" values. According to Demos, the company is now all about "green, with the dead presidents on it."

What to make of all this - the Health Ranger's opinion

Nothing in this report surprises me. In my opinion, these greenwashing, fake food companies like Dean Foods, Hain Celestial Group and Pacific Natural Foods are health food charlatans who intentionally deceive consumers about the integrity of their foods.

Armed with slick marketing campaigns, clever packaging and an abundance of corporate greed, these operators rip off the vocabulary and imagery of the natural health industry in order to sell products that are little more than a mirage.

Dean Foods, in particular, is much like the Monsanto of the food industry, in my opinion. Many of its products are made with monosodium glutamate (MSG) and sodium nitrite, a chemical linked with dietary-induced cancer. (you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetnaturalnews(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/007024.html)

Hain Celestial Group is a "health" food conglomerate that routinely uses yeast extract in its foods (a form of hidden MSG). Its brands include Garden of Eatin', Health Valley, WestSoy, Earth's Best, Hain Pure Foods, Spectrum Naturals, Walnut Acres Organic, Imagine Foods, Rice Dream, Soy Dream, Ethnic Gourmet, Yves Veggie Cuisine, JASON, Avalon Organics, and Alba Botanica. I personally wouldn't buy anything from this conglomerate.

It's nice to know that Eden Foods was awarded the highest rating in this Cornucopia Institute report. Eden Foods' soy milk tastes like real soy milk, unlike Silk, which to me tastes like soy-flavored sugar water.

So if you want real soy milk, go with Eden Foods soy products.

The low down on soy

I've noticed a tendency in the natural health industry to lump all soy products into the same category. While soy was a high-demand item five years ago, today's best-informed natural health consumers tend to avoid soy products for various reasons.

The truth is that there's good soy and there's bad soy. It's much like the question of sugar. There's good sugar (raw sugar cane juice) and there's bad sugar (processed white table sugar). Same stuff, different process. So you get different outcomes and results.

Companies like Dean Foods (Silk) process the life out of their soy milk (in my view), while companies like Eden Foods manufacture real soy products that have tremendous health benefits! (Such as helping to prevent prostate cancer.)

As with any other food item, you can't just lump all soy products into the same boat and say they're good or bad. You have to assess them on a case-by-case basis, which is of course what this Soy Products Scorecard is all about.

Personally, I drink soy milk and eat real tofu in Ecuador right now. That's because our soy milk is made in our own kitchen by soaking (sprouting), grinding, straining and cooking non-GMO soybeans into a traditional, zero-sugar soy milk beverage.

Our soy tofu is made in town by a local resident who specializes in REAL tofu. It's the real deal.

I don't eat processed, corporate-branded soy products. Silk, in particular, is a complete joke, in my view.

The soy products I consume are real superfoods -- and they're made the same way in Asia, where soy is a routine part of the healthful diets consumed there. If you eat soy products the same way I eat soy products, you're getting good superfood into your diet. But if you purchase and consume junk soy products backed by powerful food conglomerates that are really only interested in profits instead of integrity, you're probably just consuming processed junk food with "soy" in the product name.

Be careful where you put your trust in any food product. "Natural" food companies will lie to you if they can get away with it, and most consumers are fooled by their slick promotional campaigns.

Please do your part to reward the honest, high-integrity soy companies like Eden Foods by giving them your business. And don't you dare buy anything from Dean Foods or Hain. Do not reward their business practices with your hard-earned dollars.

Buzz up!vote now

you are not allowed to post links yetnaturalnews(contact admin if its a beneficial link)

Soy dangers: decreased iodine, goiter, thyroid cancer, pancreatic cancer

Everyday the properties of soy are toutedby nutritionists, physicians, and popular health and beauty publications. The health magazines continue to extol its virtues. None of this is based on science. There is another, hazardous side to soy, based strictly on scientific research that you need to know (warnings published 1960 onwards). For example, The New England Journal of Medicine article, “Soybean Goiter: Report of Three Cases,â€17 details three cases of infants developing goiter when they were consuming soybean “formula.†The condition was rapidly eliminated in two of the infants when the soy “formula†was terminated. The third child was cured when iodine was added to the diet.

What did soy formula have to do with thyroid (goiter) problems? Soybeans are a source of isoflavonoids, including genistein and daidzein. Contrary to popular belief and what is often reported in the media, they are both hazardous to your health. The following comes from Biochemical Pharmacology, Vol. 54, 1087-1096, 1997:

"Soybeans contain compounds (genistein and daidzein – the ‘active ingredients’) that inhibit [interfere with] thyroid peroxidase (TPO) which is essential to thyroid hormone synthesis [production].â€

Soybeans are NOT good for the thyroid! The popular so-called phytoestrogens genistein and daidzein are actually endocrine disruptors. Women around-the-world have been misled. What does soy “formula†have to do with the iodine deficiency? Soy contains phytates which “magnetize out†essential nutrients like iodine.

Today, the FDA, America’s Food and Drug Administration, Department of Health and Human Services, lists over 270 records of soy in a database at “FDA PLUS Plant Database†(November 2004 Revision). Their website will shock you as you discover that soy is anything but a health food.18 This data base contains references to the scientific literature describing studies of the toxic properties and effects of plants and plant parts. They clearly know the potential soy-cancer connection concerning goiter [enlargement of the thyroid] from soy by their statement: “Feeding of soybean products and development of goiter.†I thank the excellent book published in 2005 titled, The Whole Soy Story, The Dark Side of America’s Favorite Health Food, by Kaayla T. Daniel, PhD, CCN, for furnishing this website, and other exceptional harmful facts about soy.19

You need to know that infants fed “soy formula†consistently experience thyroid problems. There is an 18% higher incidence of autoimmune thyroid disease in infants who are fed soy formula.20 Soy harms your immune system, too. Back in 1975, the Canadian Journal of Biochemistry reported that soybeans actually weaken your immune system:21

“Soybean trypsin inhibitor was found to inhibit transformation of human lymphocytes….†Here’s why this happens. Trypsin is an enzyme produced by your pancreas used in digesting protein, and is critical for antibody production. An inhibitor is something that disables. Think of it like having one foot on the gas and another on the brake of your automobile at the same time. Your car’s engine would blow-up. So a trypsin inhibitor will irritate your pancreas, stressing it to produce hormones when it can’t, leading to decreased oxygenation from the irritation. Soy prevents the protein you eat from being fully utilized and digested. Your immune system can’t get fueled with proper antibodies and lymphocytes — a double whammy. Therefore, soy is cancer-causing to your pancreas and cancer of the pancreas is typically a death sentence.

Because of bad advice, many women, especially, have decreased the amount of cancerfighting animal-based protein they consume in favor of soy. Resist this incorrect advice and minimize your chances of contracting both thyroid and pancreatic cancer.

17. Thomas H. Shepard, et al., 262 (22), June 2, 1960, pages 1099-1103.

18. (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetcfsan.fda.gov/~djw/pltx.cgi?QUERY=soy"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetcfsan.fda.gov/~djw/pltx.cgi?QUERY=soy[/url].

19. New Trends Publishing, Inc., Washington, DC, 2005, ISBN 0-9670897-5-1, pg. 31.

20. J Am Coll Nutr 1990, Apr; 9(2): 164-167.

21. Canadian Journal of Biochemistry, 1975 Dec;53(12):1337-41.

Excerpted from Nexus Magazine, "The Hidden Story of Cancer", Prof. Brian Scott Peskin, B.S.E.E., M.I.T., Founder: Life-Systems Engineering Science with Amid Habib, M.D., F.A.A.P., F.A.C.E., Clinical Researcher © 2006 Brian Scott Peskin and Pinnacle Press.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetcurezone(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/forums/fm.asp?i=1316776#i"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetcurezone(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/forums/fm.asp?i=1316776#i[/url]

:sl:

yah soya milk isn't a best option, i had fallen for this many years ago but alhamduliah i quickly found out it was waste of money.

Alsalam alikum, Thank you for good information.