Islamic Forum
RyanM

I'm A Fairly Recent Convert/revert

As-sallamu aleykum.

My father died 12 days before my 13th birthday from cancer. He literally died in my arms. His illness and passing was very hard and started my path towards Islam. When my father became ill, he began going to churches looking for one. We ended up at a United Methodist Church at which time I was first exposed to Islam during a confirmation class where we had to learn about other religions.

When my father died pulled away from the Christian church and was very angry with my creator. After about a year I began investigating many beliefs. I investigated and followed some wiccan type religions, some shamanistic type paths, I studied Buddhism, Judaism, for a time I attended and was baptized in the Mormon church... but none of this was ever correct. It never made me feel complete, I always doubted it all.

A little over 3 years ago I began to investigate Islam. Over the past few years I have spoken to many Muslims online and developed friendships with a handful. In these past 6 months or so I have begun to take Islam seriously. I began to read a lot online. I began listening to lots of Islamic speakers such as Yusuf Estes, Hamza Yusuf, Zaid Shakir, etc. One day I woke up and knew Allah to be the one and only god. I decided/acknowledged Islam is the true religion. I did Shahadah. I then began seeking out local Muslims that could help me learn and grow as a Muslim

Family, my family doesn't know I'm Muslim, as I will quite literally find myself homeless (and sadly at 24 years old, I still have to live at home because I was never taught the evils of interest and have just over 20k USD in debt that I can afford only minimum payments on and sadly those minimum payments go nearly entirely to interest with only the tiniest bit going to principal, so I'm a slave to usury). I currently live at home with my mother and 36 year old half-brother. I read a lot in my spare time, I think one can never know enough and always want to learn more.

I've not been the best since my conversion, as it's hard to hide my beliefs in this house but InshaAllah one day I'll have my debts gone, or at least have them be interest-free so that I might better pay them off and move out on my own.

PropellerAds

Asalamu Alaiykum

Allahu Akbar! From a fellow convert in hiding I almost know exactly what you are going through. Inshallah you will pay off your debt and be free to practice Islam freely, never give in to evil, and again, from a fellow convert, welcome back to Islam, brother.

Salaam

welcome to İslam, ı hope you will have the chance of living as a free muslim.The important thing is to thank Allah for every given things in our life.This is a short life, even that we don't know when it ends. So, be patient just for every day, remember Allah gives everything to see our actions. May Allah be with you..

Salam ahmet, thanks. Also, welcome to you you've only got 2 posts... I know it says you joined in December but welcome anyway!

Salaam alaykum.

Welcome to Ummah, RyanM.

If I were able I would do much more, but now I can only pray dua for your debts to leave you.

Take care.

P.S.

Why are you so shure that your mom will dislike your embracing Islam? You haven't told her anything yet.

Becuase, my mom won't buy gas from the gas station because a guy that works there 'one of those dirty t-w-l h--d moslims' Yeah, the guy immigrated here from Iran, but he's a Christian... we've got the Islamic Society of North America headquartered about 10 minutes from the house and she calls it 'the terrorist building'.

Oh my apologies. Thank-you euromuslim for the dua, I appreciate it :sl: .

Becuase, my mom won't buy gas from the gas station because a guy that works there 'one of those dirty t-w-l h--d moslims' Yeah, the guy immigrated here from Iran, but he's a Christian... we've got the Islamic Society of North America headquartered about 10 minutes from the house and she calls it 'the terrorist building'.

Aslaam Alaikum... Why dont you try talking to her and opening her beliefs up, try telling her she should respect other people regardless of their religion or where they from, ask her where she gets these views from, it is worth a try dont you think?

Been there, done that her whole family is that way unfortunately. They enjoy hating things and people. :sl:

orite, i guess you cant change some people.. I pray you clear your debts, inshAllah :sl:

Salaam RyanM, may Allah guide you and will you to leave your debt behind. I reverted to The Pristine Faith mere days ago. I have been open about it with my wife, but have yet to share this joy with my parents (Roman Catholics). I expect to see them in a week or so, at which time I will be humbly open about my reversion. I fear I will not have their blessing, though Allah is merciful to all, compassionate to each, and insha'Allah will see me through it with continued peace of mind.

Assalamo alaikum

A very warm welcome to Islam, may Allah subhanahu wataala bless you and guide you always to the true path.

I don't think your mom will go far as asking you to leave the house. We can be rude towards others, but when it comes to our own children, surely things are different. However, you're the one that best knows your situation and when its time to let her know.

Perhaps you can start a few discussions with her regarding Islam, indirectly. Let her know that you started reading about it, and let her know how good Islam is. Let her know that Islam orders its followers to treat their parents with utmost respect, and that Islam teaches that paradise lies under mothers' feet. Let her know that Islam orders us to treat our non-Muslim parents with kindness and utmost care.

You must also consider that you have obligations to do, like praying and fasting, and that our first priority is to please our Creator, even if that displeases others. In Islam, we should obey our parents in everything except the things that displeases The Lord Al-Mighty.

You also have a duty towards your mom, to let her know, gradually, the true path. If you as her son didn't tell her, then who would? You must try and advise her with wisdom, kindness and gratuity to revert to Islam. Of course its up to you to pick up the right time, but I suggest a gradual method, through readings and small discussions here and there. You can for example bring up the usury issue and how it devastate many lives, and the wisdom behind prohibiting it in Islam. And the more you read yourself, and apply Islamic behavior on your relation with your mom, the more you would be able to lead her by example. Insha'Allah she will gradually discover that Islam changes people for the better.

My best wishes for you to find a way out of your debts, and to live in peace with your mom and the whole family. Barak Allahu feekum.

Salam ALaykum Wa Rahmatullah "may peace and Mercy of Allah BE UPON YOU"

welcome to Islam !!!

MAY YOU ALWAYS BE AT PEACE !!

All your sins are forgiven ! As a Revert !

May Allah bless you always !

Peace to you Brother RyanM

May You always be at Peace !

Educating your mother would be a mercy to her

Brother ryan...because right now "hate" is self-destructive

What brother Dot said is true :sl:

salam

Congrats............. Welcome to the family of Islam : )