Islamic Forum
Imaan_

[Fatwa]Pork & Wine In Foods?

Asalamalakum.

I have two questions:

1) If there is pork, say next to rice or something, if I pick out the pork ... is it still considered haraam? I know that sounds dumb, but I'm just asking. I love chinese food and alot of chinese food has pork pieces in it.

2) My dad & I like this fish fillet and he marinates it in white wine. When alcohol is heated up, it disappears. Is this still considered haraam if I eat this fish fillet?

PropellerAds

:sl:

A scholar from the Egyptian Dar-ul Fatwa replied with the following

It is not permissible to eat food where swine's meat were put. Eat other rice that has no swine meat in it.

The second question was not answered because they reply to only one question per fatwa. You may post it in a separate topic if you wish to get it answered.

The above was the fatwa that we have received from scholars of 'Dar Al Fatwa of Egypt'.

Members may discuss this issue by replying below. This post is a separator between the fatwa that we have officially received, and members' views and comments.

Readers are advised not to take the following posts as fatwa/ruling. They only represent the views of their posters.

Assalamo Alaikum, brother Dot and Nikki!

I agree. In my opinion, even the use of the same utensil (without properly washing) to cook something after pork has been cooked is not allowed. I visited a friend in Denmark once, the food served was pork. I asked for two eggs, onions, etc., cleaned all things properly, and made omelette myself.

It would be interesting to see what the fatwa for the use of alcohol will be. My understanding is that they would say it is haram. Even medicines with alcohol are not allowed.

Wassalam

Here is a quote from the Mayo Clinic on whether or not alcohol evaporates when it is used to marinate food.

"Many people believe that because alcohol is sensitive to heat, it is eliminated with cooking. However, not all the alcohol content of alcoholic drinks is removed with heat; it depends on the type and time of cooking. For instance if you add beer or wine to boiling liquid, then immediately remove it from the heat, 85 per cent of the alcohol content will remain. If you light the alcohol, as in flambé dishes, 75 per cent will remain. Even after simmering the dish for one and a half hours, it will still have 20 per cent of the original alcohol content.

It is only if you simmer the mixture for two or more hours, (as you would with a wine-based beef casserole), that as little as five to 10 per cent of the original alcohol content remains."

Since not all of the alcohol evaporates to begin with, it is not permissible because consumption of alcohol in any amount is unlawful in Islam. Regardless, alcohol makes food impure and it does not become pure even if you cook it again and again until all of the alcohol disappears.

just some speculation: alcohol (ethanol) evaporates at 78 deg celsius. food is cooked at much higher temperatures i hope, especially if it's chicken.

"Since not all of the alcohol evaporates to begin with, it is not permissible because consumption of alcohol in any amount is unlawful in Islam. Regardless, alcohol makes food impure and it does not become pure even if you cook it again and again until all of the alcohol disappears."

if it was so specific that we are not permitted even a drop of alcohol in our blood, this would mean we are not allowed to disinfect our wounds with dettol or even eat bread (look up the fermentation of yeast in bread baking if you don't believe me).

however, butter curry tastes best anyway so throw that wine out and get some ghee

just some speculation: alcohol (ethanol) evaporates at 78 deg celsius. food is cooked at much higher temperatures i hope, especially if it's chicken.

"Since not all of the alcohol evaporates to begin with, it is not permissible because consumption of alcohol in any amount is unlawful in Islam. Regardless, alcohol makes food impure and it does not become pure even if you cook it again and again until all of the alcohol disappears."

if it was so specific that we are not permitted even a drop of alcohol in our blood, this would mean we are not allowed to disinfect our wounds with dettol or even eat bread (look up the fermentation of yeast in bread baking if you don't believe me).

however, butter curry tastes best anyway so throw that wine out and get some ghee

As a vegetable-korma devotee, I wholeheartedly agree! Ghee is one of the most marvelous inventions ever.

Of course, butter in any form makes me smile, so maybe that's just me...

Salaam :sl:

I have another question about pork and any meat from a pig.

Is a Muslim even allowed to be around it? Like if cutting it up for a younger sibling, but not eating from that plate or fork? Or if it is being cooked in the same facility as you?

Edited by NikkiLizz.