Islamic Forum
JD76

Why Do I Hide My Islam?

Alhumdullilah ive been Muslim for 2 1/2 years. I recently got the courage to tell my mom. I feel now that at least one of my family members know, I can tell others or not hide it from others... But I tend to still hide my faith? WHY??? Today I was conversating with a co-worker.. I couldnt just say "Im Muslim"... I beat around the bush with comments like "I study Islam and I believe what it teaches, or I subscribe to the teachings of Islam" etc....

I always never told anyone cause I thought it was unfair to my family for others to know before them... but now that at least my mom knows, I should be open...but im not....

On the one hand I feel guilty for not professing my faith but on the other hand, im afraid it would lead to more questions and it spreading to other people which would lead to more questions...

I guess I dont wanna be talked about...

Has anyone else gone thru this?

PropellerAds
Alhumdullilah ive been Muslim for 2 1/2 years. I recently got the courage to tell my mom. I feel now that at least one of my family members know, I can tell others or not hide it from others... But I tend to still hide my faith? WHY??? Today I was conversating with a co-worker.. I couldnt just say "Im Muslim"... I beat around the bush with comments like "I study Islam and I believe what it teaches, or I subscribe to the teachings of Islam" etc....

I always never told anyone cause I thought it was unfair to my family for others to know before them... but now that at least my mom knows, I should be open...but im not....

On the one hand I feel guilty for not professing my faith but on the other hand, im afraid it would lead to more questions and it spreading to other people which would lead to more questions...

I guess I dont wanna be talked about...

Has anyone else gone thru this?

:sl:

Salaam, brother

As a Muslim in hiding, I have an idea of what you feel. I can't tell anybody or it could mean either my disownment or my dad taking away anything Muslim that I have. You are probably still transitioning from 2 and a half years of hiding to just starting to tell people, that's normal. Though try to express it as much as you can and don't hold it in. Remember, you are Muslim, and you should be proud about it (stay humble, too lol).

Now that you've told one person, tell the world. Fellow Muslims and friends will hear you, and you will benefit greatly.

Wasalaam.

:sl:

Salaam, brother

As a Muslim in hiding, I have an idea of what you feel. I can't tell anybody or it could mean either my disownment or my dad taking away anything Muslim that I have. You are probably still transitioning from 2 and a half years of hiding to just starting to tell people, that's normal. Though try to express it as much as you can and don't hold it in. Remember, you are Muslim, and you should be proud about it (stay humble, too lol).

Now that you've told one person, tell the world. Fellow Muslims and friends will hear you, and you will benefit greatly.

Wasalaam.

Salaam,

I don't know how old you are or whether you are dependent upon your parents for your support. If you are or can become independent. I would recommend that you show your pride in your chosen religion. You don't have to ram it down anyone's throat, but hiding who you have become is dishonest, and hurtful to yourself and those around you. Have courage. Changing one's religion to something other than what the majority believe is always difficult. But have courage, and reveal your true identity. My daughter reverted to Islam, and she proudly wears Islamic clothing. Although I am not a Muslim, I admire her courage. She has the strength of her convictions.

Salaam,

I don't know how old you are or whether you are dependent upon your parents for your support. If you are or can become independent. I would recommend that you show your pride in your chosen religion. You don't have to ram it down anyone's throat, but hiding who you have become is dishonest, and hurtful to yourself and those around you. Have courage. Changing one's religion to something other than what the majority believe is always difficult. But have courage, and reveal your true identity. My daughter reverted to Islam, and she proudly wears Islamic clothing. Although I am not a Muslim, I admire her courage. She has the strength of her convictions.

Wasalaam sister

I'm 15 right now, and I am dependent on my parent's support.

You are right, and once I am 18 years of age and legally an adult (for then they can't take any of my Muslim stuff away, for they have bought none of it), I will tell them. I will get a prayer cap and some robes, and wear them all the time. I will Muslim, and I will be proud of it :sl:

Thank you for your post, sister

Walaikumussalam w r wb..

3.186. (So O believers, as a requirement of the wisdom in, and purpose for, your life of the world,) you will surely be tested in respect of your properties and your selves, and you will certainly hear many hurtful things from those who were given the Book before you and those who associate partners with God. If you remain patient (are steadfast in your Religion, and observe the bounds set by God in your relations with them) and keep within the limits of piety (in obeying God, and in your conduct toward them), (know that) this is among meritorious things requiring great resolution to fulfill.[using large font size is not allowed]

Yes , i agree with previous posts.If you're financially independant, you can tell the world what you choose to be. And when they ask why?Tell them how your heart has inclined towards Islam.There is NO shame in it brother,for verily you're on the straight path...Do not fear or hesitate as if you're sinning.You should nt be.

I ask you one thing.Are you not at peace now that you've chosen Islam?Are you not glad that Allah has guided you while He hasnt for many?Alhamdulillah,i am and i believe you would too.So do not fear the hurtful questions of others.Trust Allah.Everything will be fine,insha Allah.

Do you think reaching Jannah would be that easy? :sl: May Allah make it easy for you...AMEEN

Oh and if you're still dependent upon your parents,may be you should wait till you can manage yourself on your own.But in the mean while take up a parttime job and work towards your freedom...

Barakallah feekum

Salam

You have to patient with yourself and secure you faith/steadfastness first. You have to protect yourself first from any harm that might affect you faith.

On the other side non-Muslims may see it as a weakness that you are afraid to tell them about your Islam. This depends on the culture of your country and society. They may tell you that you are actually not sure that Islam is your religion. They will tell you that you were just a blind follower without brain. I know someone who told me:

"If you were convinced that Islam is the true religion then you would have told us earlier about your conversion."

It does not matter if you tell them now or in twenty years, they will find a way to criticize you. There is no difference. Only their arguments may be different.

Don't forget that the first 10 years of Muhammad Prophethood the Muslims were not in public but underground and they kept their faith secret for protection. In the beginning, the dawah of Muhammad sallallahu alayhi wassallam was secret and then he was commanded to stand up and preach.

Salam,

Being the only Muslim in my family at 16, I dont intend on telling my parents yet till I'm 18 and on my own, but only because I'm afraid they will not accept it and take my Muslim belongings away from me( even though it's wrong on their part). But as 1 of the previous posts says idk how old u r but if you r an adult then be proud about it and let it be known to who you choose. For example, just my close Muslim friends know....for now. :sl: :sl:

BTW thanks for posting it because I had the same question, and thanks to those that answered.

Salaam :sl:

I wish I could tell my family. I really do. I do feel guilty that I don't have enough courage & I'm not comfortable enough with them to just turn around and say "Hey! I'm Muslim!" and be proud. I'm so afraid of what they might say or do. I have a habit of thinking the worst, and the worst is them not accepting - disowning or trying to baptize me back to Christianity.

If and when I decide to tell my mom, I am hoping & praying she will be the type to turn around & say "As long as you're happy, I'm happy". Not for nothing, she is still my mother and will always love me. And for that, she is going to HAVE to accept it because I'm going to be wearing hijab full time come college.

Telling family has got to be one of the hardest things for a revert. For a lot of people, rejection & non-acceptance is very hard & difficult. But listen, Allah has put us reverts on this path for one reason or another. We may find out or we may never find out. But we're all on this path of Islam for a reason & I truly believe Allah would never give you anything you can't handle. He knows that you are strong & whatever He has laid upon you or laid upon your path ... you can overcome. Plus, you have all of us at the forum to back you up :sl:

Insha'Allah, you'll be able to overcome this & not have to hide your Islamic faith.

May Allah bless you & guide you!

Salam alaykum Wa Rahmatullah "May Peace and Mercy of Allah be upon you"

Brothers and sisters :sl:

What was stated is Correct untill you are Independant its 100% acceptable To remain to yourself and keep yourself from harm.

But Also do remember !!! we have to make DAWAH ! we have to spread the word and Also be a example !! show them that you are muslim once you are independent !

not because of PRIDE but because its the TRUTH THAT WILL SAVE YOUR FAMILY !

SO dont LEAVE YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY IN IGNORANCE !!! save them by Giving them the word !

many Families that were Extremely Hateful of Islam Turned muslim ....when someone told them the truth !

sometimes all it takes for mothers and fathers and brothers ...is to hear someone converted they will eventually start learning more and Admire and love you for saving them !!

Your Acceptance of Islam is going to be Door for them To seeing the Truth..

Many Of sahaba...were men that At first were PAgans...and Even they Recognized the truth ...all the harm they did..they still turned muslim.

so its a Road its a path and Who knows One Day your family and Friends And Co-workers will Look back at life and remember your examples and They will know that Islam exists in their neighborhood !!

if not them then it will be others who will learn from you :sl:

SO dont Forget The Parable "story" of a Man

That Walked From his house to the PRayer Place everyday...he would Pass all the ignorance in the world and insult it...he would pray alone and lock PRayer hall as he left...

So we need to as muslims Spread the word or Knowledge in a little ways.

Ofcourse if you are in danger that is different Subject

OFcourse if you are not independant that is different subject :no:

but if possible do try To teach people trough your examples !!

Example of the Parable is that we should Try and Help our communities Reach a Better moral Balance

that includes our families if possible so they can also learn about Islam :j: