Islamic Forum
dot

Your Suggestions To Make Our Forum Highly Active Like Before

Problems with the forum:

1.) Overmoderated. Too many people w/ too much power means thread after thread gets shut down. I used to be able to say what I wanted on this forum. Now I just get banned or reported. So I stopped talking.

2.) Way, way too many sections.

This shows that the rate of activity of new members is much lower than that of our old members, even though the forum now has many more new sections than it had before.

With this many sections no one can get a conversation going because there isn't high enough traffic to any one subject. People come here to see a reply to what they said and if there isn't one, they lose interest.

Some examples:

Zionism is a mostly political issue. Why does it have it's own section?

"News" stories get it's own section? But the news on here have always been political. Why does it have it's own section?

PropellerAds

This is what I think the forum should look like.

(Keep in mind this is just my rough draft opinion. Obviously MUSLIMS would know what best to put on an Islamic forum.)

* Headline Forum

o Islamic Discussions (43857 posts)

o Islamic Media

o Short Fatwa (124 posts)

* General Forums

o Political Front (53555 posts)

o Sisters' Room (61877 posts)

o Brothers' Room (24419 posts)

o Counselling Room (13796 posts)

o Just for Fun (13572 posts)

o Dua Corner (6432 posts)

* Tech

o Forum help (294 posts)

* Islamic Forums in Other Languages

o المنتدى الإسلامى (1028 posts)

o Islam en Français - Forum Islamique (846 posts)

o Islam in het Nederlands - Islamitisch Forum (218 posts)

In my writing classes they taught us "kill your darlings" as in, kill the sentences, words and phrases you think you need to have. Ten days later you realize you didn't need them and your writing is better with them gone. That might apply to this forum.

I think those cover everything people would want to talk about. Remember a lot of the sub-sections could be isolated to just THREADS in sections that already exist.

Tell me your opinion??

Edited by skibture

Salam All

the reason i havent been online is ive been trying to find out first hand information myself. Also uni takes up a lot of time and so i dont often come online.

this is the best Islamic forum site i know, i have learned so much from it, i still recommend it to people.

Assalamualikum warahmatullah

1) Maybe remove or merge some of the sections that are not active because I find that there are too many sub-sections. But Allahualam, I'm not sure just a thought. Maybe just temporarily?

2) Allahualam I could be wrong but I have noticed that this forum sort of tends to lean a bit more to giving dawah to Non-Muslims in comparison to Muslims. We Muslims also need to return back to our deen and so emphasis also should be given to teaching Muslims and showing them Islam.

3) Maybe not "shut out" Muslims who might not have the "right" perception of Islam or who we don't agree with for the sake of giving dawah to Non-Muslims. For example: If there is some "angry young jihadi" or someone with "different" beliefs or views who seems to be "harming the dawah", then lets teach him/her instead of just 'pulling the plug' on them. Discuss with them using the Quran and sunnah as to teach them too. Embrace all sorts of Muslims because after all 'our family' is in great need of dawah itself. Otherwise this forum will end up being over-run by Non-Muslims :sl:

4) Be prepared to learn and accept. Because we might not always be on the "right Islam" ourselves.

5) Ask Allah that he makes this forum a source of truth where Non-Muslims AND Muslims will benefit.

These are some suggestions and I hope inshAllah that they will benefit.

Maybe get rid of all the sections and sub sections which haven't had at least 50 posts in the last six months?

The over moderation thing is a bit ridiculous. I posted in the new Muslim section almost three hours ago and it still hasn't been approved. I guess that is why no one else bothers posting there.

The over moderation thing is a bit ridiculous. I posted in the new Muslim section almost three hours ago and it still hasn't been approved. I guess that is why no one else bothers posting there.

:sl:

When you say over moderation, do you mean that posts in that section should automatically be visible upon entry? It's something to consider. Instead of requiring approval to be set visible, it should be reversed so that improper posts are disproved and set invisible. That way, Muslim members will still be able to give advice without having to wait for an IF staff member to see their post and make it visible.

No one comes to this forum anymore becuase you can't get a conversation going.

Not enough people look at the same thread, so no one replies to a statement. And the forum is over-moderated so many people just stop posting.

I came here a lot back in the day because I knew that within an hour there would be five responses to whatever I wrote. Now I'm lucky if anyone looks at what I wrote, let alone respond to it.

It's like being in a huge room with 10 friends versus being in a normal room with 10 friends. Even if not everyone gets to sit in a seat they like, at least they'll be close enough to talk to eachother.

Asalaamualaykum

I think there should be a chat feature (moderated)! I think it would be great to be able to exchange ideas instantaneously with others!!

Walaykum asalaam

JazakhAllah khair

The reason I dont come here anymore is ( with all due respect to the owner and maintainer of the forum) because, the forum is a little nanny state. Its highly moderated, too many rules, and not enough freedom. Also there are too many sub sections. Other muslim forums are flourishing, whilst this one is not, because of the above reasons.

On a more personal note, I though the warnings i received were petty and unnecssary, and i did not feel welcome in the forum,.

However i would like to add that at least the brother behind the forum puts the effort in to give us a service that is inshAllah helping the ummah in some way.

Salam.

Edited by AbdulMajid

Salaams,

I was wondering if the team have decided to change anything since this thread was started? Did any particular suggestion stand out? Brother Moseed made some very interesting observations about Internet culture in general which I think need to be considered before any modifications are made. Sorry, I know it’s a bit dated but I didn’t log in during Ramadan but I found this particularly insightful:

You must also factor in the Facebook, Twitter and MySpace effect. I work in the web industry and new websites do not feature forums like this at all anymore as they are considered "old skool". It is now all about collaboration, groups and user communities. There is a subtle difference but the new breed of internet users are more savvy with facebook groups than with debating on a turn-based-thread.

This is undoubtedly true, but it doesn’t necessarily mean forums like this are redundant. The reason I say this is that many people who have Facebook have a MySpace account as well, and maintain both. What if they had a fully customisable user profile here at Gawaher? Having an area where they could upload pictures to an album (within Islamic guidelines), store their own media and content would give people a more ‘user community’ feel and more traffic in between people’s user spaces. A greater sense of community should bring about more posts in the forum. At the moment we have a ‘My content’ in the user profile but that is just the threads started on the forums. Users would like to post their own content on their own space as opposed to starting a thread. Users who have their own blogs should have them on a tab on their user profiles too.

A few of the members have also stated that there are too many sub-forums.

Here is what I think the rule should be: You should be able to see the list of threads within one click. This can be easily done if the sub forum is listed in smaller text on the main page under the main forum title.

Like this:

Islamic Discussions

Advanced Islamic Discussions

Controversial Issues

Private Discussions[using large font size is not allowed]

This way, from the main page all threads can be seen through one click and also, all sub forums are visible without having to search for them. Removing some forums may also be a good idea too.

A forum I post on sometimes is (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetphilosophyforum(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/forum.php"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetphilosophyforum(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/forum.php[/url] . At time of writing, ‘Most users ever online was 224, 04-16-2008 at 11:58 AM.’ This is nothing compared to Gawaher yet this forum has much higher activity. If you click the link the first thing you should see is a few videos posted along the top which I think is quite a good idea. We have many videos embedded in our Videos section so to get a few of these on the landing page may be beneficial. All the sub-forums are listed underneath the main forums allowing access to threads in one click. There are other things too so I suggest the team check it out.

Despite your very valid reasons brother dot, you may have to concede that a chat feature would make this forum more popular. You may also be able to incorporate a Tweet (Twitter) app, to direct traffic to Gawaher (I know there is an application that does this but I don’t know exactly how it works.).

What do members think about what’s been suggested? Also, feedback from the admin team would be great to give members an idea of why you think a suggestion is workable or not.

Peace

I've read all your valuable suggestions, but I'm a bit confused. While some of you suggest that we reduce our subforums, others request that we list all subforums, even the ones not showing in front page.

Its easy to hide subforums inside other forums, but then members will lose the privilage of seeing the last post in each subforum, so they can click and go where the action is right from the front page. Listing say 10 subforums into a front forum will result in showing the latest single post from the ten, while, the way it is now, you get the latest post in each of those 10 subs.

I've seen forums with lots of sections, yet busting with members and posts. For example: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_forums.marokko.nl"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_forums.marokko.nl[/url] has many sections, yet presence exceeds 4000 users most of the time. It has 21,502,818 posts made by 157.175 members. I think its not how many sections a forum has, but rather how a forum fulfills the interests of its members.

If it is having too much sections that reduces our activity, then the all-in-one-forum should have solved that issue. New members can just post whatever they want there, without having to waste any time looking at any of our sections.

New trends like facebook and myspace have their effects on all forums, not just ours, yet some forums are still very active. It was not impossible to keep high levels of activities there.

Most busy Islamic forums do not focus specifically on Islam. They meet a large varieties of members' interests. They carry sections where members can discuss their love affairs, dating and stuff like that. Maybe that's why we don't have that much activity, because we focus mainly on Islam. Or perhaps people are getting less interested in Islamic discussions, and look for other stuff? I really don't know..

As for the rules, I had a look at them. It took us years to build them, and I can't find rules that we can do without. But what we can do is reduce the penalties to only a warning instead of disabling from posting in some of them.

I still can't find a clue why we have less activity than before.

How about members bumping and taking part in discussing old threads from when this forum used to be highly active? As in the threads that were popular and generated alot of discussion?

Assalamu Alaikum

I'm sure that if the rules weren't as they are, the kuffar would own this forum.

So many guests visit this forum, no one logs in to post! Even the few members who do visit, don't post, why?

1. I guess Muslims shouldn't invest much time on the forums. Or,

We're angry at something.

639. Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: A man asked the Prophet (PBUH) to give him advice, and he (PBUH) said, "Do not get angry." The man repeated that several times and he (PBUH) replied (every time), "Do not get angry."

Guests, start posting for Allah's sake! I have asked many questions you can respond to.

Edited by Tawhid1

I'm sure that if the rules weren't as they are, the kuffar would own this forum.

You realize the kuffir can read as well, right? Non-Muslim works fine. Please try it.

And I would second others that a cleaner and more streamlined interface might make it more attractive for others.

I should also ask, since I am willing to offer suggestions, if the administative team has any suggestions on how members can help. I think it only fair that we all do our part.

Edited by the sad clown

You realize the kuffir can read as well, right? Non-Muslim works fine. Please try it.
And I'm sure that you can read the Qur'an as well. Check out the chapter titled: Al-Kafiroon

Allah calls you that and there is no better speach than Allah's.

Please don't respond. Goodbye.

Edited by Tawhid1

And I'm sure that you can read the Qur'an as well. Check out the chapter titled: Al-Kafiroon

Allah calls you that and there is no better speach than Allah's.

Please don't respond. Goodbye.

So are you a Mohamedean because that's what Christian theologians called Muslims? And why don't you want me to respond?

And why don't you want me to respond?

Because we're going off topic. I don't care what others called Muslims. I don't care what others, you, the whole worlds, and I think. We only care that what is in the Qur'an and the sunna. I hope this is clear to you.

If you wish brother dot, you may delete these posts.

Edited by Tawhid1

Because we're going off topic. I don't care what others called Muslims. I don't care what others, you, the whole worlds, and I think. We only care that what is in the Qur'an and the sunna. I hope this is clear to you.

If you wish brother dot, you may delete these posts.

Please speak only for your own posts, sister. Or else allow brother Dot to make such a determination on his own.

Salaam,

I should also ask, since I am willing to offer suggestions, if the administative team has any suggestions on how members can help. I think it only fair that we all do our part.

You can post your suggestions in this thread or you can also send a PM to our Administrator brother dot.

Asalam Alaykum Warakmatulah Wabarkatuh.

Probably a various reasons have been summed up very efficently in this thread. Some of the ones that I am about to state may have been said:

1)More Islamic forums have started with vBulletin thus dragging members who take forum features over quality to their side.

2)The oldtimers have probably no time or have forgotten about this forum(which can be solved in one way)

3)Quality over Quanity is the moto these days on various amount of forums.

This is usually how the forum cycle works,there's an active time where the forum is getting 20k posts per month but there's always a negative attached, and this time the negative is that now the forum barely reaches 2,000 posts in a month. Things may pick up sooner or later,but reality does get to people sometimes and I'm assuming that's the common factor why the members aren't posting as much as in 06.

Yanal

There are more than a 100 guests viewing this forum at all times. What I can do is paste a bunch of articles against Christians and Atheists and you’ll see them come. What we need are Muslims who can debate them. We are having many Muslims who come seeking answers and Islamic knowledge.

I cannot keep up with them all and I hate seeing their questions unanswered. Our members need to welcome people under the introduction section.

Other daw’ah forums (Umma forum and IL) are as inactive. But this is the most efficient forum out of daw’ah forums I’ve been to.

Please don't respond.

i think, that's not a suggestion which intended to make our forum active as before.

Edited by MarineLiner

As salamualikum

I joined in the early days when this forum was very active. the main reason in my opinion that it is not as active now is because you have wayyyy too many rooms. Why have so many? Before there was the basic ones Islamic discussion, general discussion, people would post and get lots of responses quickly. Now you have so many that barely one or two responses get posted on the threads so when people dont get a response they move on to another forum where they will get responses. I stopped coming here because of that.