Islamic Forum
dot

Your Suggestions To Make Our Forum Highly Active Like Before

:salam:

Thanks for sharing.

PropellerAds

I quite like that there are less people on the forum - I think this forum is a lot more civilised than other forums where people are just bashing each other with insults! I like how the regular members here avoid this sort of behaviour. And there always seem to be a lot of guests viewing the forum so while they may not be posting they are getting some information.

Gawaher is amazing - thanks admin and mods who keep it going on a daily basis!

Overall this is a good forum. Lower activity isn't always a bad thing. I have used other forums and usually they are not very civilized and honestly, paints Islam in a stereotypical light, which is not good.

Gawaher, despite its imperfections, is as good as there currently is. Sometimes I am personally attacked, called names by members, and is allowed. I refrain from such activities yet still maintain a 20% warning level. I credit this due to the inequality expressed between known Muslims and those of other faiths by moderators.

If the purpose of the forum is to discuss Islam and Islamic topics, then there should be some refinement. The stated purpose of the forum is not to recruit more Muslims, so moderation acts using the argument "they won't convert" should not even exist. Some members here are not here to be "converted" but are here to discuss Islam and Islamic topics.

A focus should exist to ensure all members, regardless of faith, are respectful to others, all as individuals. No name-calling. There are standards which exist in the Qur'an about the conduct of its people and an Islamic forum should promote those qualities.

Overall, the moderators do a good job and allow most discussions to take place. Sometimes there are combative posts by moderators, letting their personal feelings get in the way of being a moderator. A moderator, when posting anything, speaks on behalf of "Gawaher" and not just themselves. This should be a careful consideration.

I have high hopes for Gawaher and hope that it can continue to be a place for people everywhere to responsibly discuss Islam.

Remember, quality over quantity.

I used to be active in this forum.

I guess it's the political section that made this forum was very active back then. Some of the non Muslims/non believers who participated in the political section might be considered as "trouble makers" by other Muslims, as they tended to provoke us, Muslims, with regards to the current issues. But truthfully, it's them who KEPT me COMING BACK to this forum again and again. I even looked forward to their posts in fact. When they provoked us, we had a reason to explain something to the "world", not necessarily just for them. So, when we did it, we didn't do it for them, but for the benefits of those lurkers who may also read stuff in this forum. So we need them to trigger us to let other people know about our stance, and our point of views. But some of us were frustrated with them, and said, if you don't like us and how things are in our world, why don't you just leave, or we'll ban you.

As they were banned and suspended one by one, and the political section was becoming quiet each day, I think there's nothing more to answer and discuss, so, I left too with them in silence.

That was the reason why I rarely posted again.

Yasnov

This is my third tour here at Islamic Forum. I honestly don't know what should be done. Of course, now I am on the moderator team, and so I also wonder if I am not part of the "over moderation" problem. I do think that fewer subforums would make for a better appearance, but I don't think it is that significant an issue. To really be able to comment on the subject, I think you would need to have some perspective on what worked before and how circumstances changed so that the forums activity has diminished.

One thing I would like is to see more active Muslim members. I don't know if we need more controversial non-Muslim members here to inspire more Muslim participation or if we just need to build up a greater sense of community with a core of dedicated members to build around.

Edit: I didn't see Yasnov's post when I posted this. I think that seems to be a good indicator that there is a need for more non-Muslim members to spark participation from the Muslim membership to correct and define the Islamic perspective in the face of misunderstanding and propaganda that is regularly said about Muslims and Islam. So, I guess my question is, did the rules change after 2006 that lead to a drop in these instigating members or did the implementation of the rules change?

Edit #2: and I should say I am almost wounded to the core :sl: that Yasnov does not find me sufficiently controversial to motivate his return in any significant fashion.

Edit: #3: I wonder if this is only part of the problem however. I noticed that of the top 40 most active members, only one of them is a non-Muslim and there are only 7 non-Muslims among the top 100 members. Surely that is not enough to drive the activity of the other 93 members. Am I missing something?

I don't want to be stereotyping or sexist, but I was wondering if the dearth of controversial non-Muslim posters is only half the problem. As I look around in the old threads, it seems to me that a lot of the women members weren't as drawn to the debating threads as much as to the more community orientated threads that focused on sharing about life and faith with one another. The controversial threads did seem to attract more male members, so it shouldn't be ignored, and I certainly don't want to say that it was only men for one kind of posting or only women for another kind, there was and is plenty of cross over, but it is something to think on that controversy would seem to me to only be part of the answer.

Our policy didn't change. We always welcome non-Muslims here, unless their intention is to insult Islam or preach their own faith systems.

I think its not up to how we run the forum. Non-Muslims join in big numbers and get involved in discussions mainly when Islam or Muslims are in the news. They mostly stay as much as Islam is in focus, then move on. Our role is to always be here, ready with welcome drinks and keyboards, treat them as nice as can be, and hope that some might like it here and stay a while longer. But the rest will probably run back to facebook and twitter.

I don't want to be stereotyping or sexist, but I was wondering if the dearth of controversial non-Muslim posters is only half the problem. As I look around in the old threads, it seems to me that a lot of the women members weren't as drawn to the debating threads as much as to the more community orientated threads that focused on sharing about life and faith with one another. The controversial threads did seem to attract more male members, so it shouldn't be ignored, and I certainly don't want to say that it was only men for one kind of posting or only women for another kind, there was and is plenty of cross over, but it is something to think on that controversy would seem to me to only be part of the answer.

By controversial threads are you referring to the heated political debates? If yes, I had thought about that sometimes .. but then I realized that most women that I know in my life have no as much interest as men either in political debates, intrigues, and stuff. So, I guess it's only natural that there are less active female members in the political section? After all, in the real life, most of our presidents, politicians, lawmakers are males too?

But anyway, as I know, we also have Sister Redeem who often participates in controversial topics.

Yasnov

Edited by Yasnov

Edit #2: and I should say I am almost wounded to the core :sl: that Yasnov does not find me sufficiently controversial to motivate his return in any significant fashion.
Haha :sl:

Non-Muslims join in big numbers and get involved in discussions mainly when Islam or Muslims are in the news. They mostly stay as much as Islam is in focus, then move on.

I think maybe this is right. It is only with a sustained influx of non-Muslim members with questions, concerns, and criticisms, all likely stimulated by events in their lives and in the news, that you can have such a busy forum. I wonder, do you think it is a good thing or not that so much of this interest seems to have quieted?

It's not just this forum. A few other Islamic forums are not what they used to be a few years ago. There was a similar thread a while ago on another Islamic forum and some of the members said the lack of activity of the forum was due to other social media like facebook, etc. Plus people move on with life I suppose and when a lot of controversial topics have been discussed so many times and everyone's position is known then there is not much to discuss..

Of course this is not the case with all forums, some are still very active.

Over-moderation hasn't been an issue for well over two years now. This forum was a lot more heavily moderated back when I first joined and even then, it had way more members. It might be that there is less publicity or people are moving away from forums and becoming more engaged in social networks like Facebook, or all of the people who used to post avidly have become involved in life, which in turn gives the forum a "ghost town" feel and deters members from joining. Or it could just be that every topic has been debated and there's just less to argue over.

Salam.

Or it could just be that every topic has been debated and there's just less to argue over.

I think a lot of what you said is possible, but this last part I doubt. I mean, there have been 1400 years of debate for matters specifically regarding Islam, and thousands of years longer than that for general questions of monotheism and other matters of spirituality. Humans are very good at rehashing old arguments just about every generation.

:sl:

I think these forum has gone on to become a "dawah for non-muslims" on the hand's of self proclaimed scholars. Yes quite harsh but lots of people here knows everything, when i joined in here, people were more like learners, students.

I feel these forum needs to dawah more to muslims who are deviated. And these forum should make it apparent, of the "school of thought" it follows.

I think these forum has gone on to become a "dawah for non-muslims" on the hand's of self proclaimed scholars. Yes quite harsh but lots of people here knows everything, when i joined in here, people were more like learners, students.

I feel these forum needs to dawah more to muslims who are deviated. And these forum should make it apparent, of the "school of thought" it follows.

wa alaikum As Salaam

I wouldn't complain about non Muslims knowing more about Islam - it is so much better talking to someone who actually has an idea of what Islam is about. And I don't think they know everything - lots of non muslim members here still have a lot to learn and thankfully most of them want to know more.

I do agree that we need to help muslims know more about Islam too, but I think we do help each other out here, when I don't know something someone else will help me and I always try help other brothers and sisters.

I wouldn't agree about the school of thought suggestion though as that just may turn some members away.

Our policy didn't change. We always welcome non-Muslims here, unless their intention is to insult Islam or preach their own faith systems.

I think its not up to how we run the forum. Non-Muslims join in big numbers and get involved in discussions mainly when Islam or Muslims are in the news. They mostly stay as much as Islam is in focus, then move on. Our role is to always be here, ready with welcome drinks and keyboards, treat them as nice as can be, and hope that some might like it here and stay a while longer. But the rest will probably run back to facebook and twitter.

as_salaamu_"alaykum

I have come to like this forum very much.Here now for almost one full week and spend about five hours everyday here so far. I am going to recommend my students to make use of this forum soon inshaa allaah.

I will inshaa allaah also make known many new findings for discussion here.

Hope that this forum stay on the same track inshaa allaah.

wa"alaykumus_salaam

Ok I have been on this forum for a number of years. Ive got in trouble for speaking my mind on a few occasions, however thats how I am in real life as well. I do get in trouble because i speak my mind. And I accept people dont like me for that reason online. I still like this place and hope it regenerates and grows inshAllah.

Anyway, I have been on a number of Islamic forums , and there is something more mature and relevant about Gawaher forum compared to other forums. The other thing about this place is , is that extemisism is not tolerated and those promoting it. Which is very important as we need to guide young muslims on a moderate and straight path.

There was a time when we had good civilized, interesting and intellectual debates with lots of muslim contributors however that time has disappeared and such people are not as attracted to online communities like gawaher, because they can connect more with others through blogs etc... and be more widely recognised and identified.

Reading this thread, I agree with some of the points. I think alot of people leave forums because others leave or get banned or they feel not part of a online community. With the other obvious social media around us, members are easy to lose. Other social media is far more attractive visually and its functionality and interactivity. However internet forums are a little dated in this respect, and need to change with the times to catch up with the times.

Also the look of the forum hasnt changed much in ages. It just looks the same colour theme, design etcc... as before. The design needds to be updated and upgraded to something more 2011 rather then 2002. I.e. looks a little out of date. Ive said this before, but there are too many sections to this forum as well.

Good luck with your forum Dot. I hope it succeeds as there is a wealth of useful material around here.

Salams.

Edited by Arsalan

Salam.

I think we should set up a thread to really grab hold the attention of unbelievers. People with negative thoughts about Islam. We should create a thread that puts every verse constantly and consistently used against Muslims that supposedly teaches us to commit violence acts and murders. We should provide a context for each of those verses so non muslims don't believe that verse was commanded in generality. This is something I believe will gain potential converts. What more of a success is there then that?

Maybe we can have some area on the main page for posting statuses. That might make the site a bit more active.

Maybe we can have some area on the main page for posting statuses. That might make the site a bit more active.

I have seen that elsewhere as well. It might make the front page more interesting and interactive.

"Highly Active Like Before" ... hmmm, telling someone to go away should probably be stopped ...

Whenever you do decide to leave this forum(I hope it's sooner than later) you won't be missed.

Richard

I think that we shouldn't be disheartened by the number of active members on the forum, because the ones that are active are of good quality. We have genuine brothers and genuine sisters on this forum, and even some genuine non-Muslims, and I think that's what's important. I've been on other forums and found that there's a lack of moderation, people are allowed to say everything and anything, and then there's forums where all people (Muslims) seem to do is argue with one another... but yeah, they had a lot of active members -- good for them (or is it?). Anyway, I think the forum does what it's supposed to do, anyone who wants to know about Islaam can come to the forum and see what it's about; whether they like or dislike what we believe is something we can't help, and guidance comes from Allaah. As long as we are genuine then who cares about the number of people on the forum, or the people who have a problem with Islaam, I'd be more concerned about being true to myself and true to Allaah more than anything else.

And EasternQibla, I don't blame brother SaracenSoldier for his response because what Ron said was very insulting to Muslims, he said "Islam appears to me, not to be a matter of personal belief but rather one of joining a very big club, something comparable to a global communist party. This is what many Muslims think, so far as I can see. But , like communism will hopefully die a similar death due to it's persuasive, pernicious and insidious nature." ...so please, put things in context.

Bringing back Rahimi and not being rude and cold to non-Muslims.

Good idea

Edited by missjupiter

Bringing back Rahimi and not being rude and cold to non-Muslims.

I do apologise to you and anyone else that might have got the impression that Muslims are rude and cold to non-Muslims; I think all of us try to be as polite as possible, although admittedly that is at times difficult.