Islamic Forum
Amanda.B

Some Advice Please?

Hi everyone... I just recently converted to Islam, so this is my first Ramadan. I had been advised to start with a 'learning' fast (fast half day, break for 30 minutes, then fast the rest of the day), as a child might do. I tried this, and on my first day I got a migraine worse than any over the last year. Let me take a minute to explain my history with migraines. I know headaches are common at the start of fasting, but this is not just a normal headache. Since I was 15 I've been getting migraines that are so severe I have to take a range of drugs from triptans to opiates in order to get control of them. They can make me lose fine motor skills, and leave me vomiting from the intensity of the pain. They have been less severe this year, and I really wanted to at least try to fast, but I'm worried now that it is just not going to happen. My husband is supportive of me, and feels that if I am getting that sick then I should refrain from fasting, as the point is not to become ill. But I've had some friends who are judging me and telling me that I have to keep trying, and that a headache is not a good enough reason to break my fast. So now I turn to you, and welcome your advice. I'm living in Indonesia, and haven't been able to find an imam who speaks English who can advise me, so I rely on my husband and my friends, and now on the help of this community.

Thanks!

PropellerAds

Salaams sister. I suffer from migranes aswell and infact ive got one this very moment, it triggered off yesterday. But fortunatly mine arent as bad as yours although they are making me feel very drained and it is very painful. Its been about a year since ive been having these migranes so i dont really now how the rest of ramadan is going to go. But i will be fasting.

I dont know the options in a situation like yours. But i have heard, if people cannot fast then they should donate money so someone can have a days food. I really hope someone can guide you on here.

:sl:

If the migraines are that terrible and hard to deal with, then it is permissible for you to break your fast. That is because Allah tells us that sickness is a legitimate reason for not fasting.

“but if any of you is ill or on a journey, the same number (should be made up) from other days†[2:185]

The scholars define sickness as meeting one of the following conditions:

1- The sickness will be made worse by fasting

2- Recovery will be delayed by fasting

3- Fasting will cause intense hardship, even if it does not make the sickness worse or delay recovery

4- The scholars also included those who fear that they may become sick because of fasting.

Judging by your post, you meet the third condition. If medicine or eating food is going to ease your pain, then you can break your fast and repay it on a later date (after Ramadan ends and before the next Ramadan). If the migraine is constant and continuous, and you cannot make those days up, then you are required to feed one poor person for each day that you missed.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/38040/migraine%20fasting"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/38040/migraine%20fasting[/url]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/12488"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/12488[/url]

Thank u for that information because i was wondering the same thing.

i recently have been dealing with a flu that has been getting progressively worse...it has been okay so far and i have been taking my medication in the morning and night, but was wondering at what point does sickness lead to one breaking the fast. i do not wish to break my fast because its important to me to continue for as long as i can...i like to think of it as a challenge because up until now, my fasting has been a positive experience...and id like to keep it that way :sl:

Thank u for that information because i was wondering the same thing.

i recently have been dealing with a flu that has been getting progressively worse...it has been okay so far and i have been taking my medication in the morning and night, but was wondering at what point does sickness lead to one breaking the fast. i do not wish to break my fast because its important to me to continue for as long as i can...i like to think of it as a challenge because up until now, my fasting has been a positive experience...and id like to keep it that way :sl:

:sl:

If it's too much for you to bear, that is the point at which you can break your fast. But there is no compulsion on you to break your fast. If you feel that you can continue fasting, that is much better for you in reward. :no: